Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

My brother only moved up 3 spots on the rehire list in 6 months. So i dont think over-time is a problem the city is worried about.
    I think the academy is empty because the city is preparing itself for alot of mandatory hires off the discrimination lawsuit. More then likely the cfd will have to run them through first (court orders), then start on the 06 list. This will allow them to move more quickly to the 06 list which i'm sure they want to get started as soon as possible. Actually this would be best case scenario for those waiting on the list. Just my opinion.

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything yet? I'm so sick of waiting for everything to start working out. I have heard different stories from everyone so I'll relay these to you guys. First one of the dispatchers (she's a CFD medic) at my job told me friday that she was told they aren't going to process anyone for another year or until they settle the lawsuits so she said that they are pulling all the training officers out of the academy and back on the streets because they aren't doing any good just sitting there.
    Last edited by JoeyT1986; 10-20-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Forum Member

Default Human Resources

Joe,
    If they start at #1 and go up then Congrats! The only thing I could tell you is Human Resources is about as Helpful/Useful as Tits on a Bull. I wouldn't rely on ANYTHING they tell you. The reason I say this is they misinformed TONS of people about the paramedic list that was recently open and closed. They said all kinds of goofy stuff that was false and made no sense. Anyways the only thing I know is that the lawsuits are finally getting settled, and whenever the next academy will be the people who won the suit will be placed in it.

Default Lawsuit Question

Is it true that there are lawsuits other than the claim of discrimination of the african american candidates? I heard recently that there is a lawsuit from some of the 95 class that had begun the process in March 06, rearranged their lives, quit jobs and sold houses and were told they would be in the November class and then nothing. Has anyone heard this?

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by chicago1 View Post
    Joe,
    If they start at #1 and go up then Congrats! The only thing I could tell you is Human Resources is about as Helpful/Useful as Tits on a Bull. I wouldn't rely on ANYTHING they tell you. The reason I say this is they misinformed TONS of people about the paramedic list that was recently open and closed. They said all kinds of goofy stuff that was false and made no sense. Anyways the only thing I know is that the lawsuits are finally getting settled, and whenever the next academy will be the people who won the suit will be placed in it.

I'm still one of the doubters that they will start at #1...lol.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Smile

I guess i would be a doubter if i was #10,000. You would have to hold on to some hope.

Forum Member

By the time all this court crap is over it will be time to test again

Forum Member

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 10-20-2007 at 02:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why 9? Seems like they just enjoy giving people a reason a sue.

I have yet to see any official document that shows there was a reason behind the selection of 9 as the number. We all assume it was random but due to the fact that they never informed us(please correct me if I'm wrong) of the system used to assign these numbers they leave people no other option but the court system to get answers on how they operate.

Forum Member

Last edited by bugsy2007; 10-20-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Forum Member

Unhappy More of the same

Why #9? because the Supreme Court has said that SSN's are a suitable way to be "random". In a pool this big, it would be hard to say that 9 was picked due to favoritism. Also, the methodology must remain the same. If it was oicked out of a hat, going from 9 to 0, whatever. Throughout the process, they can't have one guy say 9 is the # and next time have the guy say 5 is the # because he liked #5 (Just sort of mirroring you Bugsy).

Also, I think the 95 test is done. Why would they wait for so long, only to take them in June, etc.? I'm not sure of the reasons why the city took all the people they did for one small class, but they did. My guess is that the rules say you must process the whole group (In this case it was 95 testtakers with a SSN ending in 4. In June '06, the Judge refused to rule on the damages until all discovery was in. She got all the discovery on 1/11/07 but still has not made a decision. Unfortunately, the city has not shown its cards because they want to see the damage decision and make the assessment on whether to appeal the decision/damages. If the damages are really bad (i.e. they are granted 10 years backpay/seniority or more) the city may appeal. If they are not so bad, the would maybe allow it and start processing the class-action group. If the 95 class was TOTALLY done, the city probably wouldn't show the cards anyways to give them leverage (i.e. we can't take all the class winners right now, we have 95 testers also to process).

Who loses in the whole deal? The 95 people that started processing only to be screwed by the city. It is one thing to take the test and not get called. However, to take the Abilities Test and ****, take the hair test and ****, get your underarm hair removed and ****, get fingerprinted, get your transcripts from 20+ years ago, copy all your info, filling out many forms ...and I almost forgot ****ING again! That truly is bad. All this while taking 3 days off for a job you never had a fair shot at. Hopefully, many weren't silly enough to quit other jobs, but doing all of the above and being in limbo for almost a year leaves a bad taste.

If the judge only awards the winners of this lawsuit employment then I don't see where the city really loses anything so why would they appeal? I would think in that case they'd want to just get it over with so they can move on to the '06 list. But, if the judge decides they also get senority and backpay there's no way the city would go along with shelling out 50-75 million (just a guess) to these people without appealing the case. And, if they do get senority and backpay there's going to be a hecka of lot of guys on the job now that are going to want to sue over it. Besides that, I'm sure there are going to be guys that were processed last year and don't get this job who plan to sue just for the hell of it.

If these 132 class action lawsuits winners are granted employment, does that mean they get a free pass to the academy? Wouldn't they also have to pass the physical agilities, drug test, background check, and medical exam? If the judge's ruling was to come out today I don't see how the city, as slow as they are, could get that done and have a class ready to go by June. Why not put the last couple of groups that were processed through the academy in the meantime?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll definately concede that both of you have/will win this debate, but I like playing devils advocate. I'll definately take your word on the fact that social security numbers are a perfectly legal and acceptable way to randomly select people. I personally have no problem with it. What I don't understand is how they selected the number nine and why they chose to go by the last SS number. I'm no expert on the law, but I would think that if somebody just selected the number without a random drawing or method used they could be opening them up to some sort of lawsuit.

I agree that I'm probably nitpicking, but you would think they would be extremely deliberate with the way they do things due to their past history. I'm not suggesting some mass conspiracy where 3 chief's sons had a social ending in 9, what I'm saying is that the system really isn't truly random if they didn't randomly select the starting number.

Either way, probably the screwiest selection process I've ever heard of.

Forum Member

Last edited by JoeyT1986; 10-20-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Forum Member

JoeyT1986, it seems to me it's pretty obvious that it doesn't matter who you know @ the academy because you know about as much as everyone else in this forum. So far all I see is a bunch of heresay as to what people think is going on or hoping is going on with their number.

I highly doubt the City is going to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars per person, not to mention salaries of personal that came in on Saturdays to process candidates, from the physical abilities test all the way to background/fingerprints/photos, etc. just to say "Hey, we don't need you now, lets take the '06 list right away.

It ain't over until City Hall sings...

Forum Member

JoeyT....I'd stop with the dropping of who you know on the job...you have mentioned them before and those people have been asked about your existance and they answer very puzzled....you are really putting yourself in a trickbag if you ever get hired. Anyone with a memory will remember these postings and make your life very hard. Additionally, this type of discussions could easily raise flags by federal officials who may be monitoring the hiring off the 06 list. If they are made aware of this type of remarks by you it may cause you problems down the line. So ease up on the "name dropping" (ie. my family friend, battallion chief, officer squad 2, etc.). I'm sure if it is true you are this well "connected" they don't want you to be doing this. Just a little friendly advice.

Forum Member

JoeyT, for all the people you "know" @ the academy, you know about as much as the rest of us which is JACK.

And don't be so quick to discount the remaining people on the '95 list in hopes it puts you in quicker. I really doubt that the City is going to waist thousands of dollars per candidate to physically test them, get background checks done, fingerprint/photos. Not to mention all the drug tests. Those are expensive things, and we're not even taking into account all the salaries paid to those @ the academy, including weekend pay.

Processing went well into Sept. last year, 6 months ago. Really not that long of a time frame when your dealing with the City.

Forum Member

To everyone on this thread...if i offended you in any way i apologize i didn't think i was botherin anyone by relaying information that i heard..i just don't understand why people get so offended if they hear somethin' they don't want to hear and ChiTownMedic, you are absolutely right man i probably shouldn't be droppin' names on here but i was just tryin to back myself up and i was just tryin' to be as informative as possible i just got caught up in this cuz like everyone else i am psyched to get on full time im sick of bein on the job part-time and not making a living doin' what i love. so yeah guys sorry if i was ****in' people off

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyT1986 View Post
    To everyone on this thread...if i offended you in any way i apologize i didn't think i was botherin anyone by relaying information that i heard..i just don't understand why people get so offended if they hear somethin' they don't want to hear and ChiTownMedic, you are absolutely right man i probably shouldn't be droppin' names on here but i was just tryin to back myself up and i was just tryin' to be as informative as possible i just got caught up in this cuz like everyone else i am psyched to get on full time im sick of bein on the job part-time and not making a living doin' what i love. so yeah guys sorry if i was ****in' people off
    so, post the info that might be right..and don't drop the names..we, well..nobody cares about that.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

in my own defense i wasn't giving off false names at all i dont know why people get all offended at this when everyone on here is puting in their 2 cents on what they know when in reality why not just everyone call down to human resources or personnel and talk to them if it helps you sleep at night but seriously is everyone going on to this website cuz they wanna find the answer to everything? no it's to b/s about what your hearing cause not one person on this thing can give u anything written in stone...this is used to hear what people have to say not to answer your questions if u dont like it dont read it...obviously everyone is fed up with the waiting process
    Last edited by JoeyT1986; 03-22-2007 at 03:35 AM.

Forum Member

Default Funny

This is all quite amusing, I mean if you have a low number great if you have a high number not so great better luck next time. Who care how they came to the decision, it is what it is! I am in the 560's if I make it great if not maybe next time. Everyone here should relax and chill with the race comments, and wait it out like everyone else! Hopefully I will see you guys and girls in the academy soon!

Forum Member

Default The Decision is in!

The Judge handed the decision on 3/20/2007. The decision is here: http://www.clccrul.org/templates/Use...der3-20-07.pdf

I'm sure many of our present firefighters will be happy to see that these 132 firefighters will get seniority starting in 1998, backpay with interest, etc. Not a slam-dunk for the plaintiffs but close. What will the city do? Appeal? Have a all plaintiff class in the Academy? Process some of the 1995 test-takers that have almost finished processing? Start the 2006 class and mix them with the plaintiff's? Who knows, just spin the wheel of destiny to find out.

Forum Member

Default More info

Just for those not in the know. This is the decision on damages/remedial. The actual case was decided in March 2005, the city has yet to appeal either the decision or these newly decided damages.

Forum Member

Default Oh well

You have to figure that most of the people will be taking the money and running. Others will be too old, so there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Forum Member

Default Only in America

Last edited by bugsy2007; 10-20-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Thread Information