Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 270 of 554 FirstFirst ... 170220260267268269270271272273280320370 ... LastLast
Results 5,381 to 5,400 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

I taked to my local Alderman today (saw him on the street in my neighborhood) and he said that "no hiring freeze is or will be in affect for fire or police". He went on to say that "from what I know the fire department will be going through a transfer of leadership shortly, permotions and hiring might not happen till things fall back into place". Sounds like they stopped the merit promotions that came from Brooks and with that they needed to stop the rest of the promotions. This hold-up didn't sound like a budget issue. When I asked about the union contracts and if that is having an effect he said "both police and fire should be resolved by end of summer."

Take it for what it's worth..

Anyone planning on taking EMT to pass some time? This is a great opportunity to get better prepared for what's ahead in the gym, etc.. I had it years ago and I have my FFII. I didn't keep up with my CE and I have to retake the class. As much as any delay in the process sucks it will just make me and should make the rest of you stronger. Our day will come.
    Last edited by blue2520; 04-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

blue, that would explain a lot of the things. Finally something that makes sense. I'm going with that until something better comes a long to believe in! Thanks for the post.

Forum Member

blue2520

The EMT thing sounds like a good plan if you have the time. Wright College has a pretty decent program if you are on the North Side, and also offers a summer program. I think Christ hospital would be a good choice for South Siders. I don't have time for neither. Need to make some home improvements before next winter comes

Can anyone recommend some good EMT-B reading/study material to help give me a feel for what kind of questions are involved in the academy classes?

I was thinking maybe the study guides for the IL state certification. Appreciate any advice

Forum Member

True that there area lot of people that would switch spots with him but you obviously are an out of towner that is clueless about this so great city of chicago

Forum Member

[QUOTE=firefanwife;1164630]True that there area lot of people that would switch spots with him but you obviously are an out of towner that is clueless about this so great city of chicago[/QUOTE

Please expand

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AssOnFire View Post
    I'm a crossover medic and I am graduating from the Chicago Fire Academy tomorrow morning. I put my years in getting my EMT, FF2, and paramedic BEFORE I got on the job. I am glad that I will finally be able to call myself a Chicgao Firefigter/Paramedic.

As an aside, we got our assignments yesterday and almost all of the crossover medics got *** bag slots. I mean, we were humped like a three dollar Tijuana whore. Guys who were instructors on the EMS side got slow *** retirement houses. Guys who put 5 years in the top three busiest ambulances in the city (and really the country) got the airport and suck *** BLS houses downtown where there is hardly ever fires, and brillant guys who busted there *** got spots protecting praries and empty indutrial parks. They didn't even get DECENT slots. We got assignments that should have gone to the moron assbags who flunked nearly every test they took. These chum lickers flunked EMT TWICE, had below passing grades on nearly every test, and got cherry spots, while guys who busted there *** doing 25-30 runs a day for years are considering going back to ambulances because basically the brass wiped out their PPs and hosed us down good.

Sorry, rant over. Go back to your regularly scheduled whining.
    Well, gee, Einstein...I guess you just showed your true colors (not to mention your education level, with all the grammatical errors,)....maybe if you would have had to WAIT YOUR TURN for your score to come up instead of backdooring the job via the ambulance, you would have shown a little more appreciation for getting the job....but no, Mr. what, Five Year Wonder? You sit here and huff and puf about how you got SCREWED? So when the 2 bells go off you'll start turning over in the bed instead of going out the door....gee, in a crap house. Maybe you'd like to "identify" this "******bag company" you've been assigned too, so that the firemen you'll be part of the "brotherhood" with can show you THEIR appreciation one day. You got hosed, eh? You're probably getting hosed for 65-70K a year, I imagine, so quite the pussy *** whining, show up, and do the job like you're supposed to, and if not, go BACK to the ambulance, take the other whiners with you and leave the firefighter spots for the people that really want the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CDean1262 View Post
    Well, gee, Einstein...I guess you just showed your true colors (not to mention your education level, with all the grammatical errors,)....maybe if you would have had to WAIT YOUR TURN for your score to come up instead of backdooring the job via the ambulance, you would have shown a little more appreciation for getting the job....but no, Mr. what, Five Year Wonder? You sit here and huff and puf about how you got SCREWED? So when the 2 bells go off you'll start turning over in the bed instead of going out the door....gee, in a crap house. Maybe you'd like to "identify" this "******bag company" you've been assigned too, so that the firemen you'll be part of the "brotherhood" with can show you THEIR appreciation one day. You got hosed, eh? You're probably getting hosed for 65-70K a year, I imagine, so quite the pussy *** whining, show up, and do the job like you're supposed to, and if not, go BACK to the ambulance, take the other whiners with you and leave the firefighter spots for the people that really want the job.

Backdooring the job? hahah u people make me laugh.. going to medic school out of your own pocket and time sounds like to me the educated way to get on. Fireside is just a lucky number. Congrats, you won the lotterty, any joe could get on the job if his ssn was picked. What score r u talking about??? Medics went to school to get on this job, not just take a test and pray there number shows up. Show some respect. There are no more fires anymore. Its all EMS.. start getting used to it. Do 28 runs in a shift and tell me how u feel. The people that really want the job r the medics that go to school instead of sitting around waiting for a number EINSTEIN!!

Forum Member

To those of you you who said I could blow myself, well. That just goes to show that you are clueless. To those who said that alot of people would trade places with me, I am sure you are right.

Here's the thing. I am indignant about the entire testing process. I got on in the suburbs before coming to Chicago. I beat out 600 people to come out #1 on the list. I am probably in the top three of the most qualified people in the entire academy. I have have been through 4 firefighter/paramedic academies, and have field related bacheor's degrees. The tests I took in the suburbs were legitimate. The written tests were ranked, the physical tests were ranked, the oral interviews were ranked, and I came out as the best candidate.

In Chicago, I waited my turn to get called as a medic. I put my time in, working my *** off doing 20 calls a day, when the engine did 10. I was out of the house 20 hours a day. The engine might be out 4. Other guys in busier spots worked even more than I did. A good friend of mine's record for calls in 24 hours was 37. 37 CALLS IN 24 HOURS. He went to the airport.

We get the civilians showing up as nothing. They would have high school diplomas or GEDs and had jobs like handling baggage at the airport or fixing copiers. They'd flunk tests. Ridiculously easy tests. I asked a guy in my group why he flunked a test. His reply, "I didn't study enough. I didn't feel like it." WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE TO DO? DO YOU REALIZE THAT IF YOU FLUNK OUT, YOU GO BACK TO BEING A SANDWICH ARTIST? I would up in the top ten in my class of 165. I am in very good shape. There were at least five candidates who couldn't do ONE pull up. It's pathetic. Then these guys would complain that they wanted to go to a truck. What have you done to deserve your spot on a truck? Or a busy spot? Nothing? Well, what do you know.

I'm tired of being the best candidate, with the most experience, who ranks near the top at everything, and getting nothing for it. At least in the suburbs, the most qualified candidates got the job. This is what a history of discrimnation, corruption, and clout gets you. Mediocre, uneducated, out of shape candidates with no motivation getting the jobs. A goddam lottery to hand out golden jobs. We can't even require a real high school diploma. A Good Enough Diploma gets you in. You have to have a special waiver to join the miltary and take a bullet with a G.E.D. No problem with the CFD.

I don't know about you, but when my mother is having a heart attack, or my house is on fire, or my baby is choking, I want the best to show up at my house. The guys who worked the hardest to be there. And that's not what I get. I get "good enough" guys with clout.

That's why I'm ****ed off. The cycle continues. 4 or 5 or 8 years of paramedics busting their *** working for the FIRE DEPARTMENT, and there isn't even a hint of a reward. Guys who couldn't do one frikkin' pull-up got a good spot because his daddy is a chief, and he took care of his kid. Another guy with a daddy as a captain helped out the minority candidates because they got good spots. It's disgusting, pathetic, and shows how corrupt this city is.

Oh yeah, cheating was rampant. I'm not going to go all whistleblower. I'm going to do my time, and transfer out to a good house as soon as I can. And Noy can still go *** himself. I'm still the hardest working. I'll get my reward eventually.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDean1262 View Post
    You come across as if you're a veteran... which you aren't. Let alone are you even ON CHICAGO? Keep you're bull**** to yourself kid.

Forum Member

Default Interesting

Hello,
    I know I am one of the dreamers hoping to get in before my 38th b-day within 10 months but as I look at the news I found two important news articles with Chicago FF. I pray that they get me through the background and the physical before the new classes and I pray that the politics gets settled before I add my name to the list of people who will go after Chicago to just give me a chance.

The first link is about teachers who are soon or in the process of living outside the city of Chicago limits. The mayor says something about the Firefighters also.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...032610.article

The next article is about how there are few blacks and Hispanics (I will say Latino because I do not like the work Panic to describe some group) every year.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ng-ground.html

I have been praying allot but for a job that so few get to do in a lifetime. As for the guys who are in and its is questionable for them I just hope they realize that what they have and how many people are just praying for a chance like that.

Forum Member

AOS, Really? I mean you're really coming back with you're tired of being the best? You're a real whip.. I'm not sure who would want to switch anything with you. You're ranting has no place in this fourm. Move on Chief.
    Last edited by blue2520; 04-05-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=AssOnFire;1164808]To those of you you who said I could blow myself, well. That just goes to show that you are clueless. To those who said that alot of people would trade places with me, I am sure you are right.

How could you possibly blow yourself when you are so busy blowing your own horn so hard.
    You didn't get your dream house...live with it, do your time and transfer. just STOP YOUR F_CKIN WHINING.
    Last week I saw a couple of probies out front of my local firehouse washing the trucks, I've never wanted soooo bad to be washing a truck in my life. FYI: stopped to ask them about new classes or hiring freezes and they had no idea. But they weren't b_tching about having to wash the truck, or not having calls to go on (it is in a fairly non-eventful area), they are just happy to be firemen in Chicago.

AOF , if you are as good as you say you are, your time will come and you will get a transfer to a "good house".

And could someone please explain the meaning of "backdooring it"? Seems to me that if taking the test and waiting a few years to get lucky enough to get called is going through the front door, getting your paramedics license and doing the job for years before getting called and then going through the academy would be like going through the wall, not a backdoor. I know a couple of paramedics and they do work hard.
    It just seems like they are being proactive about getting the job they want, instead of sitting around for years waiting for a letter.

And CDean1262, not for nothing, but if you are going to call someone out for grammatical errors, make sure you don't have any yourself. It is quit the pussy *** whining

Forum Member

AssOnFire is ranting but he never said he was the best. He never really said he was better than others. He just said he actually tried. Which i am proud that people in this world still try as hard as they can. It still believe this lottery is BS and people who were just looking for any job will get called. This is a dream job and for some and work for others. He also never said that these slackers would be bad FFs. Just that they didn't try and don't deserve it as much as others... Like all of you on these forums who want this job. Not just some Joe Blow who shows up and does the minimum. I'll tell you what, some of what he said was out there and i may not even agree with it..... YET! If you bust your *** and get handed a crap house, I guarantee you will be ****ed, jealous, upset and confused. None of you guys have been through the Academy yet and are not hired by the CFD. So we really have no reason to question his anger. Saying "Oh, you have the best job in the best department because you make 70k a year and you should be happy even if you work in a bad house just count your blessings blah bah blah". Shut up, let him be angry. I know i will if i feel i tried and did better then others and i get assigned to O' Hare or another house i wouldn't want. You cant just tell him to be happy because he is on the CFD. If he busted his butt trying to get on a better house and got handed crap... I'd be ****ed too thinking, "why did i try so hard for nothing". Obviously he still wants and loves this job and is happy, because otherwise he would quit. If what he says is true he could go to another city to get a job, but he wants this one. So let him rant and rave a bit. You guys seem to think that EVERY FF ON THE JOB in chicago is happy go lucky and just proud to be on the job and they have no anger. What dream world are you living in. If that were the case the contract would have been signed a long time ago. They all want and are fighting for something. I want this job more than anything, but that doesn't mean when i get it I'm just going to be 100% happy and let them shove whatever they want up my as*. Congrats AOF and thanks for being one of the few in this whole world who actually works thier butt off,

Forum Member

And rockgod... i do agree he should "live with it" with getting a bad house. No one said life was fair. but we take what we get and have every right to bitch about it. But at the end of the day, complaining or not, we are still thankful.

Forum Member

Exclamation

hmmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by dalmation795; 04-05-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: r

Forum Member

AOF,
    I understand your frustration. I graduated a couple classes before you. My class was not as heavy as some classes, so people who got the good stops in the 5th most likely deserved them. There were a couple people who were f***. I was lucky enough to get a good stop in the 5th, but I always try to switch with people in slower houses. Medics to work their *** off and in my opinion its not backdooring anything. However, with some medics there was a sense of entitlement. I don't think that since medics put their time in on the medic side they should get good stops (Medics in my house strongly disagree with me, which is fine) just because they have years on. I think they have to earn a good stop just like everyone else in the academy. In my class people were put in houses depending on how they performed. (NO, I did not make a phone call and I have NO family on the job) It seems this was not the case for you or for other classes. My advice is to stay positive and flip/work for other people in "better" fire locations.
    For the rest of you this is a good site to discuss info, but there it also a ton of BS posted. NOBODY knows anything for sure, especially firemen on the street. Stay positive, I know its terribly tough to wait, but its soo worth it. Start working out and reading the emt books, it all helps

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seditiondp View Post
    AssOnFire is ranting but he never said he was the best. He never really said he was better than others. He just said he actually tried. Which i am proud that people in this world still try as hard as they can. It still believe this lottery is BS and people who were just looking for any job will get called. This is a dream job and for some and work for others. He also never said that these slackers would be bad FFs. Just that they didn't try and don't deserve it as much as others... Like all of you on these forums who want this job. Not just some Joe Blow who shows up and does the minimum. I'll tell you what, some of what he said was out there and i may not even agree with it..... YET! If you bust your *** and get handed a crap house, I guarantee you will be ****ed, jealous, upset and confused. None of you guys have been through the Academy yet and are not hired by the CFD. So we really have no reason to question his anger. Saying "Oh, you have the best job in the best department because you make 70k a year and you should be happy even if you work in a bad house just count your blessings blah bah blah". Shut up, let him be angry. I know i will if i feel i tried and did better then others and i get assigned to O' Hare or another house i wouldn't want. You cant just tell him to be happy because he is on the CFD. If he busted his butt trying to get on a better house and got handed crap... I'd be ****ed too thinking, "why did i try so hard for nothing". Obviously he still wants and loves this job and is happy, because otherwise he would quit. If what he says is true he could go to another city to get a job, but he wants this one. So let him rant and rave a bit. You guys seem to think that EVERY FF ON THE JOB in chicago is happy go lucky and just proud to be on the job and they have no anger. What dream world are you living in. If that were the case the contract would have been signed a long time ago. They all want and are fighting for something. I want this job more than anything, but that doesn't mean when i get it I'm just going to be 100% happy and let them shove whatever they want up my as*. Congrats AOF and thanks for being one of the few in this whole world who actually works thier butt off,
    This isn't the right fourm for him to express his anger about such issues. He's being a blow-hard.. I'll repost his rants on the fireside chat website and we'll see what his "brothers" have to say about it.

Try so hard? Who ever said that trying hard would yeld any reward? Maybe he should stop feeling sorry for himself. You give what you give for you. you get rewarded from others, great. But don't come back around in the end cursing this and that when you don't. That's being a blow-hard and maybe he got a slow company because of it..

And you run to his rescue.. "Congrats AOF for being one of the few in this whole world who actually wrks their butt off"? Really? The whole World? How do you know what he does? How do you know he meets your standard of putting out? How do you know how much they put out in other parts of the world in relation to him? He never said he was the best? One guy toots his own horn and you run after him like a dog chasing a car. Don't be a stroke.

This fourm is for people looking for and have info in relation to the process.. This fourm isn't for us to rant about how much our asses hurt and what we're owed (or should get) for putting out.

Side note: Is this something that someone on the job should be saying? "I would like to wish a hardy F U to Commisioner Noy and all his mongrel lackeys. I hope you have a heart attack and I show up, u cok suker"

Maybe I'm crazy but is this implying that you would work a slow code on a fellow "Brother" or maybe not at all? Is that a death threat? Sounds like if he was in need you wouldn't offer to help him as you would your own mother. Wouldn't that be murder?

I'll give it to ya that everything I've heard about Noy hasn't been good, but you hope he has a heart attack (and that you show up) because you didn't get what you feel should be owed to you? Guess you pick and choose who your "Brothers" are and who you wish death upon for not getting your due. Maybe I got it all wrong.. What did you mean that you hope you show up if Chief Noy has a heart attack?

All of this coming from someone that is tired of being the best.. Amazing.
    Last edited by blue2520; 04-05-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Forum Member

sedition, AOF pretty much said he was THE BEST. maybe not actually saying those words, but reading between the lines and his tone of writing, ya he did say he was the best and most deserving. At least that is what I read from his post. And he most certainly does have a right to be ****ed, but come on, the dude just graduated and he is already b_tching.
    I'm just saying, he vented his anger, let that be the end of it. And yes I realized that there are a lot of others that are not letting it die, but, DAMN. He did great in the academy and has what, four days on the job so he gets to make his own calls from here on out. I'm not saying he should be happy just to have the job, but he started crying before he even graduated the academy man.

Maybe were are just angry that he has the job and we are still waiting. It just seems like whining to us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blue2520 View Post
    This isn't the right fourm for him to express his anger about such issues. He's being a blow-hard.. I'll repost his rants on the fireside chat website and we'll see what his "brothers" have to say about it.

Try so hard? Who ever said that trying hard would yeld any reward? Maybe he should stop feeling sorry for himself. You give what you give for you. you get rewarded from others, great. But don't come back around in the end cursing this and that when you don't. That's being a blow-hard.

And you run to his rescue.. "Congrats AOF for being one of the few in this whole world who actually wrks their butt off"? Really? The whole World? How do you know what he does? How do you know he meets your standard of putting out? How do you know how much they put out in other parts of the world in relation to him? He never said he was the best? One guy toots his own horn and you run after him like a dog chasing a car. Don't be a stroke.

This fourm is for people looking for and have info in relation to the process.. This fourm isn't for us to rant about how much our asses hurt and what we're owed for putting out.
    He came back to the Forum trying to to help and give info... then he he went into a rant and apologized for it in the same post. Other people started attacking him for what he said. i thought that first post that started it was insightful with or without the rant. Then he was just defending himself. And yes, maybe the "whole world" comment was too far. But day after day i see people who don't work their butt off and just do the minimum. And i find it pathetic that people live with themselves like that. And if you actually understand what i said, I EVEN POSTED "if what he says is true". Im just assuming he is truthful. So yes, it might not be the right forum to bitch about the job. I do agree on that, but thats not what his first post was about. He was trying to help with info on the Academy and how it works, which is what this forum is about... "Hiring and Employment Discussion"... so if you like dog metaphors then i'll give you one right back. i might have been a dog chasing a car to his "rescue"... but a lot of you guys were a dog attacking a mailman for no reason.

Forum Member

Last edited by dexterpub; 01-12-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Thread Information