Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

i guess im curious as to why there was two classes requested if they have no money the fiscal situation was just as prevalent then in jan as now. they had to have a reason for processing us? my best guess is waiting for the new admin to get in and hopefully go from there as far as a new test why would they retest when there not hiring as it is and have to put in a lawsuit class still. this list is only 5yrs old and you could be 19 at time of test so guys and gals are still young. Just my thoughts and questions not meant to be hostile

Forum Member

i hear ya. but being processed does not mean a job. they can cut you up until you sign your tax paperwork. with no reason. they can also stop a class the day before the academy if they choose. sad but it can happen. a lot of us are waiting for retro. in 1980 aprrox 1100 were hired, known as strike class. i can tell from the books there are many bdays in the yrs 48-56. ultimately some guys will make nearly the same in retirement as the did working, without risking your back, neck, knees, etc.

Forum Member

just curious how far in processing are most of you guys/gals

Forum Member

have you seen a fair amount of retirements this year? and do you agree about the retest rumor how it does not make any sense...not that that matters lol. thanks for your help

Forum Member

Most Of us have done everything except final processing there is a few 2010 pat guys on here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cfdfo11 View Post
    just curious how far in processing are most of you guys/gals
    I would say 50% of us in here took the PAT in January-April 2010 waiting for the background investigation stage.
    The other 50% in here are waiting for final processing letters for the academy.
    This is just an estimate though

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    have you seen a fair amount of retirements this year? and do you agree about the retest rumor how it does not make any sense...not that that matters lol. thanks for your help
    You can see exactly how many retire each month by following this link. Click on Summary/Minutes. You can check it every month or so for updates. Very few are leaving. http://www.fabf.org/
    Last edited by blue2520; 04-12-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Forum Member

The way I was told was there is no way possiable that they can man the departments.. there losing over 100 firemen this year and even more will put in for retirement after they get the retro checks so even if they ran each department 1 man short which is allowed they still don't have enough to cover so they have to promote this year and they will be forced to start a class soon.. now may not be all right but I'm sure close. I do keep hearing that waiting for the new major is causing the hold ups..
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 04-12-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Forum Member

im hoping my best shot is on the medic list. im sitting at 3000 and some change on the fire list

Forum Member

Hey guys/gals, total outsider here (not on the list) but I've been following this thread for a long long time. Just want to say I admire each and every one of you for your ability to keep a positive attitude and keep pushing on. I know that moral has dropped more than a few times and for very good reasons, but just know that people see what you guys are going through and respect all of you for your fight to get the job. Keep your chins up, this economy is going to turn around one of these days and when it does, all of this will be a bad memory. Anyway....thought you guys could use an attaboy.

Forum Member

Thank You sir much appreciated

Forum Member

Nothing will happen until Rahm gets his admin in and starts making decisions and approvals. CFD wants two classes and has budgeted for such, but nothing is set in stone and nothing will be done until the Mayor's Office makes a decison.

Daley set the budgets before he left and that is what this is based on, but Rahm could change things, but it's not necessarily the best move for a new mayor to cut spending on public safety when choosing where to take from.

Yes, the city has no money, but they still have to fund the Fire Dept, just like the police and every other city services.
    Last edited by Dalsh321; 04-13-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Forum Member

Looking At the fabf website (thanks for the link blue) 15 have gone out as of march meeting some are ambulance guys. In mar of 10. 19 had retired at this point so not to far behind really, throw in some hopeful retro money retirements and the 45 in nov as well as regular retirees and disability. There could be a fair amount of retirements hopefully.

Forum Member

http://www.fabf.org/PDF_Files/ContractLtrandChart.pdf

So with the contact being ratified, the retro checks coming, and exactly 850 ready to go by Nov 1, 2011, and albeit "70 over"...you would figure there HAS to be a plan to meet manning requirements...entitlement class or not...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    http://www.fabf.org/PDF_Files/ContractLtrandChart.pdf

So with the contact being ratified, the retro checks coming, and exactly 850 ready to go by Nov 1, 2011, and albeit "70 over"...you would figure there HAS to be a plan to meet manning requirements...entitlement class or not...
    Well I hardly doubt all 850 persons are just waiting for 11/1/11 to get out. I only know one person with 30 on and he says he will most likely stay on for at least another 5 years. Amazing enough, some people actually love this job and aren't just going to walk away because they are eligible. I would assume there are some others like him out there that aren't going anywhere just yet.

I do agree however that people will indeed be leaving and they will be required to start hiring again.

As of my most recent update from an instructor. CFD has approved two academies for this year, neither of which was to include the "entitlement" Now they are awaiting the Mayor's Office.

Forum Member

I know people on here are from all over and many don't live in Chicago and necessarily follow the Mayor's Office, so I just wanted to post that Rahm takes his oath 4 weeks from today on May 16. I know there are different political opinions everywhere, but the election is done, so this date can not come soon enough as far as any progress towards this process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Well I hardly doubt all 850 persons are just waiting for 11/1/11 to get out. I only know one person with 30 on and he says he will most likely stay on for at least another 5 years. Amazing enough, some people actually love this job and aren't just going to walk away because they are eligible. I would assume there are some others like him out there that aren't going anywhere just yet.

I do agree however that people will indeed be leaving and they will be required to start hiring again.

As of my most recent update from an instructor. CFD has approved two academies for this year, neither of which was to include the "entitlement" Now they are awaiting the Mayor's Office.
    I agree with you about these people loving this job, but for 75 bucks more per month per year after you qualify for retirement seems silly to stay, also with all the talk about pensions to be targeted..

And out of 850, there still has to be a lot of 'em ready to go, and that # is just for 2011, I can imagine there are 28 year guys ready to roll as well..The City came in with 2 appeals on 2/1, so I think it's safe to say that the entitlement boys have ways to go...

Forum Member

I agree with you about these people loving this job, but for 75 bucks more per month per year after you qualify for retirement seems silly to stay, also with all the talk about pensions to be targeted..

And out of 850, there still has to be a lot of 'em ready to go, and that # is just for 2011, I can imagine there are 28 year guys ready to roll as well..The City came in with 2 appeals on 2/1, so I think it's safe to say that the entitlement boys have ways to go...
    Like I said, out of 850, there will be plenty going, which is going to cause a need for hiring, but just making it clear that people should not expect 850 vacancies by next year.

I have met plenty of people that continue to work, just because they love their job and if they weren't working they would go nuts, so thats why guys would stay on. If your job sucks, sure it's hard to understand why you wouldn't want to retire, but this is not one of those jobs.

Forum Member

The City came in with 2 appeals on 2/1, so I think it's safe to say that the entitlement boys have ways to go...
    How long does those appeals normally take?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blaze41 View Post
    How long does those appeals normally take?
    All depends...appeals can drag out for years or a few months

Forum Member

Oral Arguments were done late march waiting for decision, dont know if they can appeal from there

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Oral Arguments were done late march waiting for decision, dont know if they can appeal from there
    I have tried to find a transcript of these oral arguments, but have not found one anywhere, so perhaps it is not yet available. I believe that it is currently in the Federal Appeals court, so I think this will be the end I believe.

City is asking that the judgment entered is either reversed or at the very least modified.

Forum Member

You Can hear the audio of it if you want I'll try and find the link

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    I have tried to find a transcript of these oral arguments, but have not found one anywhere, so perhaps it is not yet available. I believe that it is currently in the Federal Appeals court, so I think this will be the end I believe.

City is asking that the judgment entered is either reversed or at the very least modified.

http://clccrul.org/article.html?&rls_article_id=99

Forum Member

Thanks, I have found this site before and it has the pleadings filed prior to oral arguments, but not the transcripts from oral arguments.

I would just like to read how the panel treated each side. Not sure if any of you ever read the Supreme Court oral arguments, but the justices blasted the city.

Thread Information