Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 290 of 557 FirstFirst ... 190240280287288289290291292293300340390 ... LastLast
Results 5,781 to 5,800 of 11121
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

I posted this after I got back from the PAT a few months ago:

"I saw the roster at the head table in the room where they played the video. It was three papers and it said "74 total for Thursday".. They had three groups 8am, 9am and 11am. There were no more then 25 of us there at 8am. I think we had 22 for that time slot according to the roster.."

This was a real count from the roster taped on the table. Only 74 of us to be there that day and I can't say that all 74 made it or passed the PAT. So there wasn't a few hundred called on the last mailing and that's a fact. 100 or so were mailed out and that was the only day that PAT was held for the fire side. I think your numbers are a bit on the high side for the total waiting for further processing also. Let's not get nuts here.
    Last edited by blue2520; 06-30-2010 at 05:47 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think for everyone between the PAT and waiting for final processing 400-500 is a good ballpark. I think there's at least 200 waiting for final processing. Just my thoughts could be off though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slimd125 View Post
    I think for everyone between the PAT and waiting for final processing 400-500 is a good ballpark. I think there's at least 200 waiting for final processing. Just my thoughts could be off though.
    That's a bit warmer.. Let's not forget that as the days pass there is more and more people that hit the age limit, etc and are removed. It's sad to think about but it's true. The longer the numbers sit the less they become at all stages of the process.

Hoff got the full vote of city council today as the new comish. So it's offical and only time will tell what the new direction of the department will be. So far on the contract front there is zero movement and doesn't look like it will be adressed this year..
    Last edited by blue2520; 06-30-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Forum Member

Unhappy

[QUOTE=blue2520;1186091]That's a bit warmer.. Let's not forget that as the days pass there is more and more people that hit the age limit, etc and are removed. It's sad to think about but it's true. The longer the numbers sit the less they become at all stages of the process.

Thats true i'm a prime example.. I'll be 38 yrs old in sept. My # is 1510's. Good luck to all

Forum Member

OneDayChiff, I hope you make it man, I really do. I'm a crossover who was in the last fire class. Trying to give you guys the scuttlebutt from the inside. As far as I know, noone has ANY idea of when the next class will be. The big question is whether the academy is going to be allowed to hold classes before the 111 black guys go through. If they are not, there might not be an academy class until 2013.

I've read the Supreme Court and other rulings. Basically, the City has to pony up the 50 million or so the day the academy for the 111 black guys start. So, if they can't come up with money to pay schoolteachers who are getting laid off, how fast do you think they are going to conjure up an extra $30-$100 million? The court might say that there has already been too much "suffering" of these minorities, and that the wrongdoing must be corrected BEFORE anyone else gets to go through. There is a specific timeline for them to go through. 30 days to have a lottery, 60 to notify "winners", 30 to have everyone to begin processing, drug tests etc etc. The big one is 24 months for everyone to finish all processing. Just want to let everyone know what's up.

I sure hope they raise educational requirements to EMT at time of hire or better. Then we can leave this legacy of ***** in the past.

Forum Member

Assonfire, I'm 99.99% sure I have no chance. It hurts but u can't cry over something u never had. All i've done is the PAT, nothing after. I really hope they hire off this list before the black lawsuit guys. I have a younger brother with a 2600 # & I can live through him a little. But good luck to all & stay safe out there buddy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onedaychiff View Post
    Assonfire, I'm 99.99% sure I have no chance. It hurts but u can't cry over something u never had. All i've done is the PAT, nothing after. I really hope they hire off this list before the black lawsuit guys. I have a younger brother with a 2600 # & I can live through him a little. But good luck to all & stay safe out there buddy.
    You too buddy. It was nice having you around here. I'm sure it would have been an honor to work with you (considering I got on). Good luck to you, and your brother. I still got my fingers crossed. I took the PAT recently, and will be 38 in 3.5 years.

AssOnFire

The supreme court document states nothing about having to hire them before they can continue with another academy. Their spot/seniority is guaranteed either way. The "victims" will probably hope it gets dragged along because they will get backpaid every red cent just as if they were on the job. Why go to work to fill one pocket when you can have them both filled?

Forum Member

Harry,

That's what I thought too. I read the court decision, and it SPECIFICALLY states that the guys who get hired will NOT get back pay. What they will get is an $80,000 a year job with 12 years worth of pension contributions and a hire date of 1998. So all these guys are going to have to do is eight years, (or six years, if it takes two years to hire them) and they can retire with a 50% pension.
    The other 6,000 guys who signed up for the court case will split the ~$50 million evenly. What noone seems to know, is that if one of these guys lottery number gets pulled, and he fails the drug, PAT, or fails to become a nationally registered EMT, what happens to them then? They can't say they were descrimnated, because they got a chance at the job. They shouldn't get a share of the ~$50 million because again, they had the chance. I say they should get nothing, same as everyone else who got washed out.
    The ~$50 million comes from calculating how much more a Chicago FF job pays over an average job in the Chicagoland area, times the 6,000 guys, times the number of years it has been since 1998 (the decreed hire date). The estimates are $30-$100 million.
    If they made EMT a prerequisite or a condition of hire, they would have 3,000 guys taking this test instead of 26,000. Then we could have something resembling hard working people who have done something to earn the job, getting the job, instead of a F***ing lottery.

Forum Member

The City and the Fire Dept especially has been battling this discrimination thing and the idea that the CFD is something of a White Fraternity so to speak, so in 2006 they took measures to try and promote it to minorities as well as making the test easier for all to pass. I don't see them ever making any certification a requirement to test, just because I think it will further hurt the # of minorities that show up and that's what they're battling. Sad that they can't just set the standards however they want, but that's how it goes, especially with the exposure on the CFD.

It sucks for all of us, because we are all victims of the past, when things weren't done fairly, although we all took a fair test and are involved in a fair process. Chicago in general is known for being all about who you know and through history the CFD has been no exception, and I think it has caught up to them now and they're paying for it and so are all of us, unfortunately.

Forum Member

Default News and Opinion

First, it appears that the City wants to put the "Minority Shortfall" situation to bed before it continues hiring of the 2006 list. I got this from a neighbor/Chief who was present at a District Meeting where this was discussed. No time frame, just a general course of action. He was appalled to say the least, as are all of us.

Now, I feel I must address some comments made recently by my Brother, *** on Fire. While I wholeheartedly agree the City needs to be more demanding in their hiring requirements, and that requiring an EMT-B for hire isn't a terrible idea, I take great exception to the notion that this is the only way to get "something resembling hard working people who have done something to earn the job, getting the job", and that hiring EMT-B's/EMT-P's will allow us to "leave this legacy of ***** in the past." Whoa! I suppose those Iraq War Vets (and the non-combat Vets, including our Eugene Blackmon winner) in my Academy Class weren't hard working enough. Or the Pipe Fitters, or Steel Workers, or the Coppers who worked the West Side, or the former Correction Officer.

While I liked everyone in my Academy Class personally, I can remember only TWO with a previous EMT-B or P license who went out of there way to help out the rest who didn't and were struggling. And when we went to the Quinn, the crossover medics for the most part had a been there done that attitude, and for the most part only opened their mouths to tell you how awesome they were. And of course, when we needed a little "INCENTIVE PHYSICAL TRAINING", it was almost always because of the actions of an EMT-B/P.

As for the legacy we live with, we owe EVERYTHING we have today (jobs, benefits, schedule) to two things 1. Those men who stayed out in the cold in the winter of 1980 to secure our right to a contract, and 2. Public support earned through the bravery and valor of those who came before us. Men like Commissioner Hoff, DC Steve Chikerotis, OEMC Chief Jose Santiago, former Commissioner John Brooks (who messed up at the end but was by all accounts a solid Fireman), and the men whose badges hang on our Memorial Wall at the Academy. That is the legacy we must live up to. Those are the men who gave us what we have today. And very, very few, if any, had and EMT-B/P when they were hired.

Would you support having a Fire Science degree as a requirement for hire? How about 4 years active duty military? Firefighter 2 Cert? These undertakings require a bit more work than obtaining an EMT-B license. Yes? Great! No? Then perhaps you should be a bit more careful when forming your thoughts on what "hard working" and "earning" mean.

Forum Member

TRCHO2,

I'm sorry I didn't elucidate my complete thoughts on this. I agree with almost every word you wrote. My ideal situation, and one I think would work is this, the standards to take the test are this, in order to take the test you must have one of the following 1) National EMT-B or higher 2) Three years active military duty or 3) 60 semester hours of college credit. The other thing I would wish for is an increase in the percentage of people who are cross trained. It should go from 10% to 20 or 25%. I think if the cops can require 60 college credits why can't we require one five semester hour class? (EMT-B). If people want to be lawyers they have to go to law school. If people want to be doctors, they have to go to medical school. If people want to be firefighters, why should the City have to pay for their schooling? The city hires plenty of lawyers and accountants, but doesn't pay for their schooling. They have to pay for it themselves.
    Every community college offfers EMT-B and it cost less than $1000.

Forum Member

well its been awhile since ive been on here but felt obligated to share info seeing as i was once in the shoes that you guys are in..... i hope this sparks some hope ... i heared from the inside the next class would be in december sooo good luck god bless

Forum Member

Just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers go out to the CPD officer who was killed in the line of duty today. I had a DOA of a 47 year old off-duty CPD about two hours after the news of the duty death. Two of the good guys gone within 6 hours of each other. It sucks that the streets are filled with scumbags. I worry for the future of this city.

When you are on the streets, treat every officer with respect until they give you good reason not too. When a patient or their family attack or try to kidnap you (which I've had happen) there is noone in the world you want by your side more than a Chicago cop. They protect our asses everyday. And if you ever get a cop as a patient roll out the red carpet. Whatever they want, they get. Lastly, let the cops go on first to all shootngs and stabbings and the like. They have guns and vests. I've had more than one pt. with a gun on him in my ambulance before. I hope it never happens again.

I hope God gives you a big bear hug when you get to Heaven. I hope the soul of your murderer rots in hell for all eternity.

Forum Member

While I agree 100% that thier needs to be more requirements to even take the test in Chicago (college, military, fire service experience, basic certifications etc.) I also feel this would probably lead to another lawsuit. Look at what the last lawsuit reduced this to. A pass/fail written test that if you can read you should get 100% and a random list based on SS numbers.

Every suburban department Ive tested for all have higher minimum requirements many of them being FFII and paramedic. And look at thier process, you get ranked based on a much more difficult written test, followed by a pass/fail agility, followed by a scored interview just to even make the list. Not to mention a psych, poly, 2nd interview or whatever else they decide to throw at you before you even get officially hired...yet they dont get sued...

But it is what it is, the testing process is just a game and we all have to play by the rules that given to us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENG399 View Post
    well its been awhile since ive been on here but felt obligated to share info seeing as i was once in the shoes that you guys are in..... i hope this sparks some hope ... i heared from the inside the next class would be in december sooo good luck god bless
    would be nice.

MembersZone Subscriber

ENG399, thats the best news I've heard in a while! Even if it is just a rumor.

On another note. I called Ms. Ghant in the a.m. today to ask if the medicals infact do expire. She wasn't there and I left a message. Haven't heard from her, but I will post if she calls back. Anyone on here have any connections to find out for sure if the medical expires? It would be helpful to myself and a few others on here. That would suck if we had to go back through that step or even worse be bumped because of it. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slimd125 View Post
    ENG399, thats the best news I've heard in a while! Even if it is just a rumor.

On another note. I called Ms. Ghant in the a.m. today to ask if the medicals infact do expire. She wasn't there and I left a message. Haven't heard from her, but I will post if she calls back. Anyone on here have any connections to find out for sure if the medical expires? It would be helpful to myself and a few others on here. That would suck if we had to go back through that step or even worse be bumped because of it. Thanks
    Slim, you hear back from Ms. Ghant regarding the medicals?

I agree talks of a class at all is great news and sometime this year is really great. Hopefully it's a big one for all our sake.

Forum Member

the med expiration question had me wondering, so I just spoke with one of my guys (on the job) and he told me the med exams won't expire. So, those of us waiting for final processing are good to go and won't have to redo any steps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dalsh321, No she never called me back. My expierence with calling personnel is if you don't get someone on the phone they usually don't call you back. Where not to high on there to do list. Ya know.

Rock, thanks for the info. Good to hear something like that won't screw all of us.

Forum Member

I figured you wouldn't get a call back slim, so I went ahead and asked around my self. If they did expire, I have no doubt they wouldn't let us know until it was too late to get in the next class (when ever that may be), so yeah, it's good to know info.

Thread Information