Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Just an fyi we need to watch the upcoming budget albeit manning us locked in there is articles in the paper as of late bout staffing call an alderman if Issues bout fd staffing come up, strength in numbers fellas. Hope we get on soon

Forum Member

Default Paramedic Numbers?

Who got their paramedic number in the mail this week, where you at on list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woody19 View Post
    Who got their paramedic number in the mail this week, where you at on list?
    There's actually a separate thread for the paramedic list.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...=120844&page=5 (City of Chicago Paramedic List 2011)

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=2ndGenCFD;1294130]WOW!!!!

2. GREAT NEWS.....Commisioner Hoff put in for all PROMOTIONS and a CLASS, before the minorities. He filed this a little over a month ago and it was DECLINED by our wonderful new Mayor Rahm Emanuel......I know, you're wondering, where's the ****ing GREAT NEWS....well, Even after DECLINING the PROMOTIONS and extra CLASS of FF/EMTs. Rahm told Hoff on friday and sent paperwork making it official that the PROMOTIONS are a GO!!!! Which means there will be close to 100 guys being promoted to LT, Engineer, Captain, etc... Add that to all the guys who are due to leave in november....and it could be looking good for us.

QUOTE]

I spoke with my cousin who is up for LT and said basically the same thing. And don't forget about all the inspectors getting fired. Not sure if/what that means for us waiting on FP, but at least he will be moving up. Good for him and all others moving up.

On a side note, he also told me that the union is going after the lawsuit class for all black...er back dues. Not a huge hit to them (would only be about $8,000), but at least the union isn't laying down for them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenCFD View Post
    WOW!!!! No posts since 9/3????? and no 9/11 posts. I'm kind of shocked this forum has died off this much! Anyways......

1. FDNY has been accepting applications and the deadline is Sept 15, 2011. So if u are interested, it's worth a shot. I did, even though I was supposed to be in the CFD academy class of August 17, 2009 and got bumped to the next class, which has yet to happen. Can't put all ur eggs in one basket. lol

2. GREAT NEWS.....Commisioner Hoff put in for all PROMOTIONS and a CLASS, before the minorities. He filed this a little over a month ago and it was DECLINED by our wonderful new Mayor Rahm Emanuel......I know, you're wondering, where's the ****ing GREAT NEWS....well, Even after DECLINING the PROMOTIONS and extra CLASS of FF/EMTs. Rahm told Hoff on friday and sent paperwork making it official that the PROMOTIONS are a GO!!!! Which means there will be close to 100 guys being promoted to LT, Engineer, Captain, etc... Add that to all the guys who are due to leave in november....and it could be looking good for us.

All this info came from my dad who is a FF/EMT on a Squad. I've taken most of what he has told me over the last year with a bag of chicago winter rock salt, as with this news. I'm still staying witht he mind set that none of the intel or rumors i hear mean **** until I get the conditional letter of employment with the CFD personnel crest on it.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET 9/11/01 - 9/11/11 "AMERICA, **** YEAH!!!" =)
    Doesn't affect the fire side but there are supposedly promotions being put through on the EMS side so it would seem logical that promotions on the fire side would seemingly be a go, too. Hopefully both happen.

Forum Member

Gee wonder if that could mean we have a chance one day

Forum Member

I just wanted to add one thing about all the talk of the 111 that has dominated this thread for awhile. I apologize if this was already brought up in any earlier post, I may have missed it. Can anyone please explain to me why all 6,000 plaintiffs in this lawsuit are not administered a drug test? I know the 111 that are hired will be given a drug test, but I want EVERY single one of the plaintiffs drug tested as well. Whoever fails the drug test is finished and gets NOTHING. Moreover, the entire settlement amount should be reduced by a proportional amount. There is no good reason not to do this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crosslaid View Post
    I just wanted to add one thing about all the talk of the 111 that has dominated this thread for awhile. I apologize if this was already brought up in any earlier post, I may have missed it. Can anyone please explain to me why all 6,000 plaintiffs in this lawsuit are not administered a drug test? I know the 111 that are hired will be given a drug test, but I want EVERY single one of the plaintiffs drug tested as well. Whoever fails the drug test is finished and gets NOTHING. Moreover, the entire settlement amount should be reduced by a proportional amount. There is no good reason not to do this.
    Sure. That might happen in fantasyland.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    Sure. That might happen in fantasyland.
    Harry, saying that I expect all 6,000 plaintiffs to get drug tested would be fantasy. I am not saying that; I am asking for someone, anyone to offer any logical reason why drug testing all 6,000 plaintiffs is not happening. Every single person that has gone through the hiring process for the Chicago Fire Department from the 1995 test was required to submit to drug testing, and a clean drug test was a stated condition of employment from the 1995 list. All I am asking is that these 6,000 “candidates” be subject to the same standards as all other candidates; no more….no less.

I say again, can anyone give me any good reason why this is not happening?

Forum Member

Crosslaid

I got two letters for you:

AA

Forum Member

Crosslaid

I got two letters for you:

AA
    Harry,

AA is not a good enough reason to not apply the same hiring standards to the 6,000 plaintiffs in the Chicago lawsuit. Even if AA were to be used as an excuse (which it is not in this case, discrimination is) the candidates would still be required to pass a drug screening to even be considered for potential employment. An assumption is being made on the side of the plaintiffs that all 6,000 of them are in fact eligible for consideration for employment and thus should go into the lottery to be one of the 111, or get compensated in cash if they are not selected. Without passing a drug screening none of them are in fact eligible, and there is no good reason why they have not been made to comply with the standards of the hiring process that everyone else was subjected to comply with.

Forum Member

Just an fyi there is rumblings from alderman bout wanting to close fire houses and such i know they have the contract but call your alderman and voice opposition to it and keep an eye on the budget we could be getting screwed by it

Forum Member

Crosslaid...good idea, it would be nice to see all 6,000 of them get tested and then the 111 get chosen from those that passed the test. Then, see the payout get diminished by x amount. The x would be the amount that each of the 6,000 that failed the drug test would have potentially recieved. But I don't see that ever happening, it seems too fair.

ILFFPM...have you heard about the police stations getting shutdown? I'm afraid to say, I don't think it will matter how much people call their aldermen and petition to keep houses open. It will happen. But, just like the police stations closing, those cops aren't losing their jobs, just being reassigned. Same will prob happen with firemen.

Forum Member

Rock i hear what your saying but to paraphrase what an alderman saidwishing to stay anonymous it is much more politically tough and morally to close a firehouse as actual emergency vehicles are staged there and response time depends on it, look at fdny they backed off closing twenty houses due to enormous political pressure, plus we are a ward based system vs at large so which alderman is gonna risk the public ire to have there firehouse closed. Just food for thought

Forum Member

Well guys two weeks till rahms budget comes out not looking good for us at all, rahm wants a 20 percent cut the inspector general suggested reducing man power again as well as converting fire rigs to ambulance, also cutting supervisors andtaking away some benifits, the only thing we have going for us is the contract, but it is looking like our chances are slimmer everyday i pray we still get hired wait and see i guess, call your alderman or some alderman if you dont live in the city even.

Forum Member

They can say they want to do a lot of things and take a lot of things away but I don't see how they really can seeing as just about anything and everything about the job is under contract. They can suggest a lot of things, much like has been tried the past few months with regard to switching to 8 hour schedules, moving EMS back to 24-48, etc, etc, but that doesn't mean it'll ever happen. There definitely is a lot to watch for with this budget and hiring decisions can certainly be messed with to some extent but benefits, rigs, manning....most stuff is pretty much untouchable unless they want to start attempting to breach contracts and I can't see that happening.

Forum Member

Can anyone tell me what number they are on from the 2006 test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FMFD23 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what number they are on from the 2006 test.
    If you look back through this thread I know it's been mentioned somewhere a few times, but off the top of my head I wanna say interest cards have been sent out to the 3,000's somewhere? Don't quote me on that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    If you look back through this thread I know it's been mentioned somewhere a few times, but off the top of my head I wanna say interest cards have been sent out to the 3,000's somewhere? Don't quote me on that.
    We are at 2400 right now for non-vets. Not sure about vets

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Well guys two weeks till rahms budget comes out not looking good for us at all, rahm wants a 20 percent cut the inspector general suggested reducing man power again as well as converting fire rigs to ambulance, also cutting supervisors andtaking away some benifits, the only thing we have going for us is the contract, but it is looking like our chances are slimmer everyday i pray we still get hired wait and see i guess, call your alderman or some alderman if you dont live in the city even.
    Dude, settle down a bit.. That's the longest run-on sentence I've ever seen. Everytime the papers print something doesn't mean it's going to happen. Rahm is playing politics through the media and you're falling right into it. Yes things are bad. But the city is building new boat docks in the river and buying land to build nature preserves. Where did that money come from? The police and fire department are top heavy, let them clean the waste for their 20%.

Forum Member

I agree blue. Its just been a long road. Lots of shattered hopes..

Forum Member

We are at 2400 right now for non-vets. Not sure about vets
    Thanks for the correction, Harry. I'm no where near it so I've never paid that close of attention but I knew it could be found elsewhere in this thread somewhere.

Forum Member

Blue The money for those docks are half from a grant half private donations i believe, the city isn't paying a dime. But your right we can't change whats coming any ways lets go with the flow

Thread Information