Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

I think that anyone who has started the process has a good shot at this point, for a few reasons. 1- They have already invested time and money into those who are already in the process. 2- The city has to be aware what kind of a backlash they'll receive from just dumping hundreds of applicants who are waiting in the process (I do understand that nothing has been earned yet) and 3- As somebody stated, they may have another exam, for mostly political reasons, but that does not mean that those being processed will be scrapped. If anything, they will continue to finish processing those who have started processing, before starting off of a new list. If you have not received an interest card yet, it's unlikely that it will happen, imo. Things are just moving so incredibly slow. But, I don't think the city is foolish enough to throw out the remaining 400 or so eligible applicants in the process at this point. It doesn't make sense financially, politically, or in terms of future potential lawsuits. Of course It's all just my own opinion on the matter.

Forum Member

The exam the media is talking about is the Battalion Chief exam which is scheduled for April 21st. Probably no new firefighter exam for a few years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    The exam the media is talking about is the Battalion Chief exam which is scheduled for April 21st. Probably no new firefighter exam for a few years.
    'But as the Fire Department prepares for what could be as many as 300 retirements this year, Santiago disclosed that he is working with the city’s Department of Human Resources on a new entrance exam that would be the city’s first since 2006"

I take this as an entry level exam. Hopefully you are right and they are confused about the exam.

Forum Member

As I understand it, they are just talking to hr about it now and it may be a couple years I hope thats the case and we get on prior! I mean there is about a hundred of us who have done everything and are just waiting for final processing.

Forum Member

There is no new firefighter exam.....it takes time, legal mumbo jumbo and money to make a exam....they have a list with 10,000+ candidates to pick from.....don't see them starting a new one with so many people under 38 on that list...there is a Battalion chief promotional exam for Captains though....that's the only exam I know of

Forum Member

If the city is so concerned about money as they are I doubt they would scrap all those waiting for FP and even those who took a PAT just to start over with a new test. I was thinking about the numbers and figure all of us who did the medical... xrays are $700 plus each, on top of physicals, the pat, a couple backround checks,all the drug tests so I'm guessing 7-10k invested in each person who is waiting for FP, times a 100. Whose gonna explain ****ing away round a million bucks when at least 100 are ready to go?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    There is no new firefighter exam.....it takes time, legal mumbo jumbo and money to make a exam....they have a list with 10,000+ candidates to pick from.....don't see them starting a new one with so many people under 38 on that list...there is a Battalion chief promotional exam for Captains though....that's the only exam I know of
    Ok couple things legal mumbo jumbo is probably correct, however to say that they wont do it is way far off. They can do what ever they want. If anyone since taking this test has gone as far as newyork (FDNY) to take the exam out there you would know that any city can do what ever they want. The whole big picture of things is DIVERSITY. If they say they need more diversity they will get more diversity. The request to hold off on the Chiefs testing is to increase MORE DIVERSITY amongst the Brass with in the department. So I am sure they have talked about a new test. I would bet my placement number for this process on it (5200's). I wouldnt be suprised if they dont wait for the out come of the new FDNY test. FDNY is testing right now with a brand new test. a (CBT). all because some group said that DIVERSITY is needed!!

So maybe they dont have a test yet but I am sure they will get one when they are ready. So for those of you who have been processed I wish you the best of luck and I hope you dont get screwed.
    Last edited by jrog; 04-13-2012 at 05:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

from craig freeman of fire careers and the fire careers facebook page. I got this in my email.

Chicago, Jose Santiago Chicago’s new fire commissioner promises to hold the first firefighters’ entrance exam since 2006 https://www.facebook.com/notes/firec...10571618956067

Forum Member

Dont forget that before the first class was hired off of the 2006 list, there was a group from the 95 exam who had also been processed. They sued and lost because they had never been offered a job. The city needs diversity to reflect the racial makeup of the city. I mean we need to see what happens. I just dont see the city wanting another lawsuit. Granted, none of us were promised anything per say but we were passed up in the process by another group and that lessened the chances for us to get hired.
    Keep our fingers crossed and hope we hear something soon.
    Also, I believe that our test was approved by the several minority groups. That may play a factor in whether or not they throw it out.
    Last edited by teddyball; 04-13-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Forum Member

Any news? Very quiet here.
    Last edited by teddyball; 04-19-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Forum Member

The hits just keep on coming. Nobody is ever satisfied. Maybe they should do a story on the guys who have been waiting for final processing for 3 years.

April 19, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Despite a court order, a group of African-American firefighters says the City of Chicago is not treating applicants fairly.

Six thousand African Americans were part of the class action suit who alleged discrimination in 1995 by the Chicago Fire Department. The Supreme Court ruled in their favor in August 2011 with a $30 million compensation, and the city was ordered to hire back more than 100 of the applicants. Out of that pool of 6,000 candidates, about 1,600 of them indicated they were still interested in being firefighters. After testing physical ability, background checks and medical exams, that number was whittled down to 111.

Now, some say the criteria for the medical exam to become a firefighter was not fair. Steven Hill and Shondrea Hopkins filed discrimination complaints Thursday. They say they were passed over once again after an initial medical report showed elevated creatine.

Related Content

Story: CFD to add 111 black firefighters
    "I was hoping to get the job. That's what I was hoping for. That's what I fought for that's what I waited for anticipated since I was a kid almost," Steven Hill said.

"I was hoping to work for the city, and make a difference saving lives and making a difference helping people," Shondrea Hopkins said. "I feel overlooked. I feel like my chances have slipped away."

The American Journal Of Medicine reports "creatine kinase is expressed at high levels in muscle... and the base level of creatine kinase levels are higher in African Americans...(and in all races) men had higher creatine kinase levels than women."

Hill said he got a private doctor's letter giving him clearance. He was made an alternate after buying the academy training uniform.

"A lot of us too were tossed around and pushed around as if we were unhuman in trying to get this job," Hill said.

A Chicago fire department's spokesman said "Two or three applicants [were]excluded solely due to substantially higher than 'normal' ck levels." The spokesperson also said, "We are fully aware that African Americans have naturally higher ck level than other races and that was taken into account when the evaluations were made."

The president of the African American Firefighters League says there were 15 African Americans excluded for high creatine levels.

After a complaint is filed with the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the parties are offered mediation. If that is not satisfactory, the department has a year to investigate and issue a ruling.

Forum Member

Never going to please everyone so the court should stop trying and say oh well the city did there part now let's move forward...

Forum Member

The way I see it is this wait is no worse then the check out line wait at the local Walmart.

Keep your heads up fellas.

Forum Member

Most (all? not sure...saw at least 50 so far) of the 111 are here at FDIC right now...walked past a group of them....overheard several bitching about some other instructors down here not being nice to them.....greatttt let's see what happens when they get into the firehouses.

Forum Member

OK I see what's going on now
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    That's funny. You actually think they'll be intimidated. What's going to happen is you will be cleaning toilets and they'll be watching you. They won't lift a finger. I can assure you that. They're untouchable and they know it
    Oh, no, I COMPLETELY agree with you. My "greatttt" was sarcastic in the respect that the incident here in Indy is pretty representative of what we will be seeing in the stations...them bitching about everything. Sorry for the confusion.

Forum Member

They got the golden ticket.. I'm not suprised there is complaining
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 04-21-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Forum Member

So I see there are a ton of pages and I really don't want to read back to find my answer if even possible. However if someone wouldn't mind I had a quick question.

I am 26 years old going to be 27 and took the 06 test. My randomly assigned number is 5394. My question is am I living on a prayer here thinking I will get in ever or do I have a solid shot? I am in great health, have a good background, and well I just like all of you need and want this job more then anything.

I mean is there anything else I should be doing right now? Perhaps giving up or doing something that could possibly speed up this process?

Thanks for your time if you choose to answer I know this is probably just as frustrating for all of you as it has been me.

Forum Member

Northsider123 i dont want to be the bearer of bad news and i apologize. But the new commissioner santiago is talking about holding a new entrance exam, now i talked to a few people who are high in the ranks and i would say reliable. They said to get the exam up and running is gonna be a while. This exam was announced in oct 05 and first class entered jan 08. They are only up to like 2500 processing wise and there is about a thousand people who are in some stage of processing and about a 100 of us waiting for Final processing to get into the academy. I would say your chances this go around are near zero im really sorry. us waiting for FP dont even know if we will get on im praying we do.

Forum Member

I often wonder out of all the people in processing, how many will take the job. I would say half of the people have moved on. I was pretty much done with the process until my current job took a turn for the worse. As far as I know, there are about 400 in processing. 100 FP and around 300 after the last round of physicals. I just wonder how many people said "F this".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    I often wonder out of all the people in processing, how many will take the job. I would say half of the people have moved on. I was pretty much done with the process until my current job took a turn for the worse. As far as I know, there are about 400 in processing. 100 FP and around 300 after the last round of physicals. I just wonder how many people said "F this".
    Of course I can only speak for myself, but I'm on the fence about taking the job and there is a VERY strong wind about to push me over it. I always wanted this job, but it isn't and hasn't been looking good for a long time now. I'd rather give up the dream on my own then have it taken away from me.
    Fukin bul*****

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    Of course I can only speak for myself, but I'm on the fence about taking the job and there is a VERY strong wind about to push me over it. I always wanted this job, but it isn't and hasn't been looking good for a long time now. I'd rather give up the dream on my own then have it taken away from me.
    Fukin bul*****
    I hear you. Hopefully you hear something soon. I have a feeling they will put 1-2 more classes off this last test. Hopefuly I am right

Forum Member

This has been a loooooooooong journey so far i really hope it pays out for us i as would all of us be so devastated if we went through all this for nothing. I really pray we get on soon. I mean i have heard decent rumors for us but who knows we have been dealing with rumors for 3.5 yrs since us guys got our interest cards.

Forum Member

Last edited by ffdino88; 08-01-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Forum Member

I have heard rumors too but nothing is true till we get the letters anymore.. so I haven't posted them.. really hope it works out for us..

Thread Information