Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Everyone is saying that whoever is elected mayor has their hands full with the budget, but the indication is that cuts to public safety (CPD&CFD) would be some of the last things cut and probably not at all.

The new contract should be settled anyway, before the election. The hope for everyone that is further down the list..... Maybe the lack of money will stop the city from being able to administor a new test anytime soon and this current list lasts another 10 years. I believe when this test was given, they said they wanted to try and test, what, every 3-5 years, but i think this list lasts at least 5 more years. Obviously speculation.
    Hopefully those 700+ eligible for retirement retire. My number is 1500s still need BI. 36 yrs old

Forum Member

I know things are a bit on hold as my uncle explained there were some union issues/hiring freeze for the time being right now. But I am assuming that as time progresses further since the exam in 2006, that they may get through the numbers quicker with each passing year. With a random number in the 11,000's, how long would you guys guess I might get called?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
    I know things are a bit on hold as my uncle explained there were some union issues/hiring freeze for the time being right now. But I am assuming that as time progresses further since the exam in 2006, that they may get through the numbers quicker with each passing year. With a random number in the 11,000's, how long would you guys guess I might get called?
    I would guess minimum 3 yrs, maybe closer to 5/6.
    There are still several hundred in the process right now, plus the law suit people.
    Keep in mind there will be retirees and the unfortunate group that will be passed up because of age and those that just don't want to move to the city and/or just don't want to give up their cushy office job or whatever.
    After 4 or 5 years, or however long it's been, they are only up to ~2500 or so (not sure of the exact number). Now, the early goings are always slow and the latter half should move faster, but you have a pretty high number. Keep your head up and go about your daily life until you get your letter.

Forum Member

The truth is, we have been at a bit of a freeze and nobody knows what is going to happen with the new mayor and the new contract and such, but I see everything standing put as far as manning and such. I have heard some people with concerns that a bunch of people will get let go, b/c when Daley sr left office, that happened, however back then, there was no contract and that's what all those before us fought for and went on strike for, to protect us of that.

That being said, I think at 11k you have a bit of a wait seeing as we have only made it to 2500 right now, but Rockgod is right in that as time goes on more and more become either ineligible or uninterested for many reasons, so it will only move through the #s faster and faster. There are hundreds estimated in the processing right now though, plus the lawsuit group as he mentioned though, so I would believe it might take a couple years minimum to get through them.

I stick to what I previously stated though in that this list should hopefully remain for many more years before a new test is conducted.

Forum Member

How soon do u think that the contract issue will become official? Because i think the retirement slips will fly in afterwards. Just wondering thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4leafclover View Post
    How soon do u think that the contract issue will become official? Because i think the retirement slips will fly in afterwards. Just wondering thanks
    Was talking to my cousin (on the job) a couple weeks ago and he said the
    contract "should" be settled in a couple of months, then hiring should start not too long after that. I asked him specifically about the manning issue, and he said "it isn't a real issue". What does that mean I said, he said it won't hold anything up. Keep in mind, this was before King Dick's announcement.
    My uncle (on the job, ready to retire) told me a few months ago that he can't wait to retire and is only waiting for the contract to be signed. Him, as well as a bunch of buddies on the job.
    The other posts talking about a 2011 first quarter class starting up may be true, but none of my sources had anything real to say about a class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    Was talking to my cousin (on the job) a couple weeks ago and he said the
    contract "should" be settled in a couple of months, then hiring should start not too long after that. I asked him specifically about the manning issue, and he said "it isn't a real issue". What does that mean I said, he said it won't hold anything up. Keep in mind, this was before King Dick's announcement.
    My uncle (on the job, ready to retire) told me a few months ago that he can't wait to retire and is only waiting for the contract to be signed. Him, as well as a bunch of buddies on the job.
    The other posts talking about a 2011 first quarter class starting up may be true, but none of my sources had anything real to say about a class.
    Nice info Rockgod. I just want to remind everyone that everything posted is mostly just through word of mouth, so nothing is to be taken as fact and a lot of the opinions are simply speculation. Just bringing this up, b/c sometimes people get crabby when "rumors" don't come true. Obviously waiting is frustrating, so that's what sparks it, but just wanted to mention this.

My guy on the job who is a 2nd generation and his Father is retired, said similar about contract getting wrapped up shortly, but he really had no idea about hiring, especially with Daley leaving office.

Everyone must understand that whoever the new mayor is will be coming into an ugly situation of like 1/2 billion to a billion $ deficit, so that's not good for anyone really looking for a job, though public safety does trump some other areas and the contract also regulates the city's responsibility on manning.

Forum Member

Absolutly true about "rumors" and word of mouth. I don't even really believe all of it myself. Except for what my uncle told me about him retiring. I know for a fact that he, as well as his buds, are giving it up as soon as they can after the contract is signed. Now that is only a handful of firemen out of dozens ready for retirement.
    I'm just passing on "what I heard".
    My sources are not union reps or in administration, so I take all they tell me with a grain of salt, and anyone reading this forum should do the same.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    Absolutly true about "rumors" and word of mouth. I don't even really believe all of it myself. Except for what my uncle told me about him retiring. I know for a fact that he, as well as his buds, are giving it up as soon as they can after the contract is signed. Now that is only a handful of firemen out of dozens ready for retirement.
    I'm just passing on "what I heard".
    My sources are not union reps or in administration, so I take all they tell me with a grain of salt, and anyone reading this forum should do the same.
    Based off those facts with your uncle, I would speculate that many more in the pool of 700 + eligible for full benefits will also be retiring once the contract is inked. Now all, don't you go thinking they will be hiring some 700 men in the next year, but there will definitely be some spots to fill, b/c I do think plenty of retirements are on the horizon once the contract is signed.

Forum Member

I assume the same. Many more will call it quits after the contract is signed.
    What does that mean? Well, promotions for some and new jobs for others.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
    IMO your chances of getting on are slim to none, unless of course you have veteran preference, and even then your chances are probably slim. We are approaching five years from the test date, and even if things moved at three times the current pace within the next five years your number would not be reached. All that under the assumption that a new exam will be administered by 2017. Just trying to give my honest opinion. Good luck.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 09-15-2010 at 09:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

For the guys who are waiting on FP. Keep in mind the time it takes for processing of papers to retire. If its anything like Ohio there backed up for a couple months at the state level. Some old guys are telling me they put there papers in recently just to be able to retire a couple months from now. Now thats Ohio it could be totally different for IL. But it does sound like things are finally starting to look up for us.

Forum Member

Maybe some of you will have the answer to this. I just finished up paramedic school at Malcolm X and rumor has it that in the next two months, the CFD medic list is opening up. Also, I luckily got my interest card in March for the fire side and am waiting in limbo like so many others on here for the background/hair test. If I get called on as a medic first (they're hurting for medics), won't that bump me right to front of the list to be crossed over to the fire side since I'm already being processed? Believe me, I feel fortunate to even be in this kind of a predicament, but it's pretty confusing. I know some of you guys on here are medics right? *** on Fire? What are your thoughts?

Forum Member

ChicagoBlaze

Honestly I would probably lay low since you are in processing mode. I don't think they will be able to bump you ahead since you already started the process. Another problem is having to deal with all the probationary aspects of getting on as a medic before you can even crossover. I recommend you talk to AssOnFire. He was a CFD medic and seems to know alot about that side. Hopefully he is keeping up with us. Congratulations on completing you EMT-P. It will be beneficial once you get on.

Forum Member

Default Random Thougths

1. There was a Union meeting last night where it was revealed that after weeks of speculation, the City and the Union ARE NOT any where close to settling the major aspects of the contract negotiation (salary, manning, insurance), nor were we offered the retire at 55 option the FOP was given. However, several minor issues appear to be settled to our benefit.

2. For ChicagoBlaze, the short answer to your question is NO, you will not be bumped to the front of the crossover list...you will be put at the end, as crossovers are based on seniority. However, I dont know if you lose your spot on the fire list and have to crossover. You may just be able to quit the medic deal and go Fire when your number is up. I'll find that out for you. Either way your talking about a long time in the Academy.

3. I was working with one of my Instructors from the Academy last day and I asked him about the next class etc. His exact words were "There is nothing going on down there" (The Academy) and any talk about a new class seems to revolve around the lawsuit class (which by the way, has been lowered to 113)

Forum Member

I called City HR that told me I had been referred to the fire Dept and then gave me a number where she told me I am in the next batch of cards to be sent out. Apparently 3000 people have been referred from the city to the fire dept to be sent out. Not up to number 3000, but a mix of below 3000 non vets and above 3000 vets. So, it seems eventually I will be contacted. Curious how far out I would be from an actual hire? How many people are in the pipeline?

Forum Member

Harry, are you saying by "laying low" that I shouldn't put my name on the medic list? That seems like a bad idea. Nobody knows when our group will even go all the way through to academy and to throw away an entire year of hell and not try to get on as medic at least in the interim seems foolish. I've always heard that the best way to get on CFD is to try every way you can, and that's what I've done. If need be, I can do what TRCO2H said and quit the medic side to start academy on the fire side, but I'm just not convinced it has to go down that way. *** ON FIRE, are you out there? I need your help bro.

Forum Member

put your name on the medic list... when your number comes up for the fire class you'll be allowed to enter, even if your on the job as a medic or its your first day in the medic academy.

Forum Member

Default Honest Answer Please

Hey guys, I am one of the guys that was contacted last spring- waiting on background investigation and some other steps. Which brings me to my next point. Can I get on the Fire Department with a recent DUI? I dont need a lecture, I made a mistake and I know it. Will the Fire Department hire me with a recent DUI? Appreciate any info.

Forum Member

Default Dui

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_InProcess View Post
    Hey guys, I am one of the guys that was contacted last spring- waiting on background investigation and some other steps. Which brings me to my next point. Can I get on the Fire Department with a recent DUI? I dont need a lecture, I made a mistake and I know it. Will the Fire Department hire me with a recent DUI? Appreciate any info.
    The answer is yes, provided the following: 1. You have full driving privileges as of date of hire. 2. You pay all debts to the city/state as of date of hire. 3. You are not on any type of probation/parole. Get that taken care of, and you are all good. we had a few guys in my class with DUI's. I even think one of them was actually supposed to be in a previous class, but they put him off until everything was taken care of, so don't sweat the DUI. Get that stuff taken care and be careful not to do it again.

Thread Information