Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Very quiet around here. I have been hearing that the December class is still a go.
    I was told that the CFD has been calling back guys on their Daley day. I guess alot depends on the class still in the academy.
    Thats all I have heard.

Oh and one more thing.
    The military make-up exam for the FF/Emt exam is october 27th 2012.
    I cannot see a reason for this exam if they were not planning on hiring more from our test.
    I verified this on the Chicago HR website

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Very quiet around here. I have been hearing that the December class is still a go.
    I was told that the CFD has been calling back guys on their Daley day. I guess alot depends on the class still in the academy.
    Thats all I have heard.

Well, this has become the standard...a "good news" rumor, followed by a "bad news" rumor. A little speculation, hope and conversing about who knows who, then...more waiting

Forum Member

What else did you expect, RockGod? lol

I feel your pain though. Sooooooo frustrating. I'm still hoping though. They are so short on men already with another 400 retiring soon. Something has to give.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    What else did you expect, RockGod? lol

I feel your pain though. Sooooooo frustrating. I'm still hoping though. They are so short on men already with another 400 retiring soon. Something has to give.

Well with the city giving a makeup exam to the military personal, I think that at least gives us a little hope that this hiring list be around for a bit. I understand some guys are coming up on the age cutoff, so I hope this happens soon. Especially the guys who are waiting for FP.
    I just report what I hear. I know most of this has been B.S. but I figured I would report and maybe give a little hope.

Forum Member

If the December rumor is true, does anyone have any idea when we should hear something?

Forum Member

Not exactly a rumor but I thought this was great.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...-did-teachers/

Forum Member

The Mayors budget came out today, while i have not read it i read the news articles and i believe there is no cuts to fire nor was there any talk of funding for a new exam to replace ours. no idea when or if there is another class coming. hope and pray

Forum Member

I haven't heard a whole lot either hear the 111 class is about done and then maybe December. That's it.

Forum Member

hey guys... Heard some news that once this medic academy is done in January there is going to be a Fire Academy then another Medic Academy..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LightandFight View Post
    hey guys... Heard some news that once this medic academy is done in January there is going to be a Fire Academy then another Medic Academy..
    This would be absolutely fantastic if true.

Forum Member

I heard the same thing. Approval of 2 classes next year after they resolve the lawsuit with the women. Also heard that they're expecting 300 to retire by the end of the year and the guys on the job know they're SOL, so they need to do something fast.

Forum Member

i'm hearing the same thing.
    two classes, early next year.
    city needs to get the lawsuit taken care of.
    at least 250 retire in next 3 months.
    111 supposed to graduate nov 1.

Forum Member

Hopefully its true and we get in. may I ask what are the women seeking damage wise are we going to get pushed back for a all woman class? Or something like that. If someone has real facts not speculation please. Thank you

Forum Member

So I read the lawsuit. The women are seeking class action status for any female who failed the pat from june,27 2009 forward. They want to be hired with backpay seniority etc. my question is if they win how is it fair for them to be hired before us who took the pat in jan.09 not to like jump ahead. In the suit they dont know how many women there are that would be in the suit. lets not turn this forum into a bash fest on women I'm just curious bout the facts of the situation.

Forum Member

Look up vasich v chicago on google to find the brief if your interested

Forum Member

There is so much wrong with this latest lawsuit, I could probabaly argue it in court. After reading the complaint filed by her attorneys, it sounds like she is just a little bitter that she didn't pass. Spending money and time on a personal trainer to prepare and then fail.

"It was a lot easier than I ever imagined. So when I got my (denial) letter, I was really confused."
    I guess it wasn't as easy as you ever imagined...

Whether she did or not pass doesn't really matter to me, the fact is that the City says you need to be able to do this in order to be considered for further employment. Whether those things are related to firefighting or not, if that is part of what needs to be done to get the job, then you have to do it.
    My brother-in-law failed the cook county sheriff's physical because he couldn't touch his toes (dude is **** deisel, but not very agile). Is touching your toes without bending your knees really have anything to do with being a sheriff? I don't see how, but that is what they said he needed to do.
    Albeit, I can see how everyone of the PAT exercises can relate to fiefighting, arm strength and endurance for carrying/swinging/operating heavy equipment; hose drag and carry...pretty obvious; modified stairs, having to walk up several flights of stairs wearing a full SCBA (which wieghs ~80lbs).
    I say the city starts using CPAT and see how many fail then!
    Has anyone taken and passed a CPAT? It is WAY harder than this pu$$y CFD PAT!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    I say the city starts using CPAT and see how many fail then!
    Has anyone taken and passed a CPAT? It is WAY harder than this pu$$y CFD PAT!!!
    Actually I took the CPAT a few months before the CFD physical, and it's much harder. I really couldn't see the average woman passing it. I didn't do the practice run (bad mistake) and was 30 seconds away from failing.

I have an idea. Why doesn't CFD send these women to the CPAT and if they can pass, then let them continue the process. I doubt any one of them would make it

Forum Member

If this is true about 2 classes next year, we should get something in the mail soon. I would assume they will probably send interest cards as it has been almost 3 years since they last contacted anyone regarding the job.
    Hopefully this is all true and we can finally move forward.

Forum Member

Not taking any sides as I'm obviously as sick of lawsuits as anyone, and I have not read the details of this particular lawsuit and know little or nothing about it, but someone could have a valid lawsuit against the city with regard to their physical agility test, generally speaking. Reason being, you have no idea what you have to do to pass. Unless things have changed in recent years, you don't know what you have to do to pass, and conversely, what you did wrong if you fail. My dad was on the job and said that for years; he passed and other guys didn't and he had no no idea what he did any differently than them. He was just lucky enough to do it right, even though in some cases these individuals were much more fit physically than he was.

With a CPAT, or most fire departments' individual PATs, you know exactly what you have to do to pass, and obviously what you do wrong if you fail. With the way the city has it now, they can very easily pick and choose who they want to pass and fail because they have zero accountability to answer for as to what is passing and what is failing. That's a dangerous game right there and yet another way this city shoots itself in the foot with regard to leaving itself vulnerable for lawsuit. If you don't want to have a CPAT or other typical firefighting PAT, that's fine, but you have to have public parameters in place for whatever exam you put on explaining what the expectations are to pass or subsequently not pass.

I have no dog in this fight. No one I know personally has failed the city's PAT, and my number is too far down the list to matter anyway for myself. But the way the city currently has it isn't really a great way to do things and it was only a matter of time before someone called them on it.

Forum Member

I do have a stake in this as I am waiting on the next academy class to start. But I do agree with Iceman that it is real bogus that those that fail don't get to find out while they fail. The only parameters that are disclosed, I believe, are only the ways to get disqualified, not ways to fail.
    All those that have taken the PAT, pass or fail, are recorded. I can only assume those reocrds are still around somewhere in a database within this third-party's servers. The only thing htis lawsuit should be suing for is the right to see those results and for future tests to be upfront about what needs to be done to pass the test.

Forum Member

Rockgod, hopefully this doesn't affect you guys in any way, shape, or form, that are waiting to get in with the next class. By saying I have no stake in this doesn't mean I don't care about people getting in who are waiting. I know some that are and it's been far too long to be kind of hanging in the wind. Hope you guys get in soon. I wish I was in your shoes! But I know that still sucks.

Forum Member

Word around the firehouses is that promotions are on hold even though we are to lose around 200 engineers, officers and chiefs next month....Rahm has set aside money to pay overtime instead of hiring and promotions.....He wants CFD smaller and is hoping to get reduced manning in the next contract so he doesn't want to hire now nor promote anyone....That's what guys are hearing who are up for promotion......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    Word around the firehouses is that promotions are on hold even though we are to lose around 200 engineers, officers and chiefs next month....Rahm has set aside money to pay overtime instead of hiring and promotions.....He wants CFD smaller and is hoping to get reduced manning in the next contract so he doesn't want to hire now nor promote anyone....That's what guys are hearing who are up for promotion......
    Typically this is how it goes.
    Good news,followed by bad news, followed by no news.
    I guess we wont know until letters come or they post a new test.
    At some point the CFD is going to need to hire. If that is us or a new exam remains to be seen.
    Let's keep our heads up and hope for the good news.

Thanks for the updates everyone.

Forum Member

Yep that seems to be the trend good news followed by bad news which is always true. I appreciate the active duty guys keeping us in the loop though. just keep hoping and praying although the light is fading on our chances at least in my opinion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Yep that seems to be the trend good news followed by bad news which is always true. I appreciate the active duty guys keeping us in the loop though. just keep hoping and praying although the light is fading on our chances at least in my opinion.
    Yeah I agree. The window is closing fast. I have a few years until I'm 38 but I get the feeling that it doesn't make a difference. My gut says forget about this job but until I get any solid confirmation, I will hold out hope.

Thread Information