Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 302 of 557 FirstFirst ... 202252292299300301302303304305312352402 ... LastLast
Results 6,021 to 6,040 of 11121
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    blue

Things are looking alot better now. Three years to go till i'm 38. At this point I will give myself a 95% chance

Hope you're right..
    Last edited by blue2520; 10-30-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

Somewhat off-topic but I thought this was the most appropriate place to ask. I've heard differing opinions from various people who are on the job, so maybe I can get a more definitive answer here. If you're on the job as a medic are you allowed to work as a firefighter part-time for another department? (I guess the same question can be asked if you're a firefighter on the job but that won't pertain to me as if and when I'm on as a FF I won't have interest in working elsewhere at all.) Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

yes you can work part time elsewhere there are plenty of CFD guys and gals that do it, as long as it is not at another union department. there may be some stuff coming down the pipe for working at part time places though, and it would be a state law i think so just something to bear in mind.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    yes you can work part time elsewhere there are plenty of CFD guys and gals that do it, as long as it is not at another union department. there may be some stuff coming down the pipe for working at part time places though, and it would be a state law i think so just something to bear in mind.
    Thanks for the response. I thought that was the case, the whole union/non-union thing, but wasn't sure. Good stuff to know. Thanks again.

Forum Member

You can work at another union department under the "Silver Spanner".

Forum Member

blue is right, but i only know of a few silver spanner places though i think barrington IL is one. (Silver spanner is where u work at another union place via an agreement that was setup with the consent of the host departments union, usually something along the lines of the department has part timers and cant afford more full timers so the union negotiates to have the part timers be off duty union guys, i think correct me if im wrong)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    Somewhat off-topic but I thought this was the most appropriate place to ask. I've heard differing opinions from various people who are on the job, so maybe I can get a more definitive answer here. If you're on the job as a medic are you allowed to work as a firefighter part-time for another department? (I guess the same question can be asked if you're a firefighter on the job but that won't pertain to me as if and when I'm on as a FF I won't have interest in working elsewhere at all.) Thanks in advance.
    Just remember, you may be "allowed" to do something, but that doesn't mean you won't be punished or penalized for doing it. Just make sure your decision will not have negative repercussions on whichever job provides the primary income for you and your family. Trust me...been there, done that, and it wasn't pretty.

Forum Member

I was doing a bit of research on the 2011 budget and found that it's available for review at city hall and every library branch. I took some notes on the fire department section, here's what it says money wise.

2010 Budget $507,801,912

2011 Budget $526,820,261

The proposed budget for the Chicago Fire Department will increase by $9.6 million or 1.9 percent from the 2010 appropriation. The increase is due to personal cost, contractual obligations, and aligning the injury and duty budget with actual costs. The proposed budget reflects seven (7) fewer uniform exempt positions as a result of management efficiencies which are balanced by an increase in seven (7) uniform strengh positions. As a result, the fire department's sworn count will remain unchanged for 2011
    Last edited by blue2520; 11-02-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Forum Member

Blue, that's cool but just an fyi the fd budget did not go down last year it went up but resulted in no classes. I know its based on manning and retirements but just throwing that out there.

Forum Member

Blue, that's cool but just an fyi the fd budget did not go down last year it went up but resulted in no classes. I know its based on manning and retirements but just throwing that out there.
    I know what the budget was last year. If I remember correctly I posted it on this thread in 09. The increase last year was also due to contractual obligations, etc. Fact is that there will always be in increase due to the same issues givin manning, etc remain unchanged.

No manning issue = No classes. Doesn't matter what the budget is, if they don't need to hire they won't. Not sure what you're throwing out there. No connection between budget increases and academy classes.

All we need to pay attention to is: "The fire department's sworn count will remain unchanged for 2011".

Minimum Manning + Retirements + Variances/OT = Classes.
    Last edited by blue2520; 11-02-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Forum Member

Your right bud i posted the budget last year as well i was just saying its good the budget was not reduced as well as manning obviously but i was just saying what you were saying as well that if there is not as many retirements as expected there will not be as many classes, were on the same page.

Forum Member

Your right bud i posted the budget last year as well i was just saying its good the budget was not reduced as well as manning obviously but i was just saying what you were saying as well that if there is not as many retirements as expected there will not be as many classes, were on the same page.
    Okey dokey...Not sure I would have ever made the connection but i'm glad we're on the same page.
    Last edited by blue2520; 11-02-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Was wondering if anyone has any info on how to get on the medic list. Do you just submit an app or is there a test or what. I am currently #36xx on the fire list, but my sources have told me that I may be able to speed up the process by getting on as a medic. Any info would be great

Forum Member

SUG45,

They just started a class Nov. 1st. The best way is to go down to city hall and sign up for the postcard mailing when the next list opens. It's room 100 on the main floor. Alternatively, go check out www.cfdmedics.com. They just started a thread and will post email alerts when the list opens up.

AoF
    Last edited by AssOnFire; 11-04-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Forum Member

Is that a medic class that just started nov. 1?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrRightNow View Post
    Is that a medic class that just started nov. 1?
    Yes, It's a medic class.

Forum Member

Good benefits/Good pay. Just an FYI
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AssOnFire View Post
    SUG45,

They just started a class Nov. 1st. The best way is to go down to city hall and sign up for the postcard mailing when the next list opens. It's room 100 on the main floor. Alternatively, go check out www.cfdmedics.com. They just started a thread and will post email alerts when the list opens up.

AoF
    Thanks AOF...I appreciate the info. FYI i have also heard of another acadamy starting in Feb. I was at Quinn a couple of weeks ago helping with a rope class and asked around. Sounds like they are wanting instructors back for Feb.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUG45 View Post
    Thanks AOF...I appreciate the info. FYI i have also heard of another acadamy starting in Feb. I was at Quinn a couple of weeks ago helping with a rope class and asked around. Sounds like they are wanting instructors back for Feb.
    Do you know if that class is for fire or for medics?

Forum Member

Fire side i believe, i heard feb. to but we'll see remember last year how we heard there was a "greenlighted 100% go for the academy" how many times? but hopefully it comes to pass this time. have a good day

Thread Information