Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

What's New...

Just wanted to confirm a little of what Bugsy was saying. The OT budget has been increased, and no one knows when the new LT. list is going to be posted, so until it is the City cannot promote FF/Engineers to make some room for new hires. The supposed graduation date for the lawsuit guys is Nov. 1. Since there are too many rumors concerning the class I won't post any, except to say I won't be surprised if they graduate on Nov. 1, then keep whoever is still having trouble at the academy till they're up to speed. I would not worry too much about the women's lawsuit. Unless the City completely throws in the towel it will take years to sort that out. Even if the city did capitulate it will take time, and with a ton of guys retiring by the end of the year and with what is expected to be the same in 2013, they are gonna have to hire sometime. Good Luck.

Forum Member

BURN...

I also wanted to mention an outstanding documentary about the Detroit Fire Department called "Burn". It is a year following the firemen on Detroit's East Side as they battle the City, and crumbling city, and an incredible amount of fires. The fire footage itself is some of the best if not the best ever filmed, and the story of these men is quite compelling. It is widely underfunded and has been getting limited release around the country. As a result of the strong attendance the other night in Rosemont, AMC theaters will be giving it a one week test run the week of December 7th in downtown Chicago. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a career in he fire service, or anyone for that matter. I have no financial interest in this film, I just think it is a great story about us that should be seen by as many people as possible. You can get more information at detroitfirefilm.org.

Forum Member

Seeing this thread is almost as frustrating as 6019 for the FDNY guys, I want to ask a quick question directed at those in "the know." Will CFD have a new test within the next few years?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRCO2H View Post
    BURN...

I also wanted to mention an outstanding documentary about the Detroit Fire Department called "Burn". It is a year following the firemen on Detroit's East Side as they battle the City, and crumbling city, and an incredible amount of fires. The fire footage itself is some of the best if not the best ever filmed, and the story of these men is quite compelling. It is widely underfunded and has been getting limited release around the country. As a result of the strong attendance the other night in Rosemont, AMC theaters will be giving it a one week test run the week of December 7th in downtown Chicago. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a career in he fire service, or anyone for that matter. I have no financial interest in this film, I just think it is a great story about us that should be seen by as many people as possible. You can get more information at detroitfirefilm.org.
    I was glad to see they're going to run it in December as I was not able to see either in Rosemont. I've known about the making of this for a long time and was really looking forward to its release. Glad to hear it was as good as I was hoping it would be.

Forum Member

DJ,
    The truth is, nobody knows. Historically, the city exhausts most of the list before it creates a new test. A new test is administered about every 10 years. 1995, 2006 were the last two. There was a rumor of a new test when Hoff retired, but I don't think anyone has heard any serious discussion about it since.

Forum Member

Does anyone know exactly how many are retiring coming up? And moreover, how the numbers break down between how many are firefighters and how many are EMS?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemed18 View Post
    DJ,
    The truth is, nobody knows. Historically, the city exhausts most of the list before it creates a new test. A new test is administered about every 10 years. 1995, 2006 were the last two. There was a rumor of a new test when Hoff retired, but I don't think anyone has heard any serious discussion about it since.

So basically we are in the "watch this space" mode? Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    So basically we are in the "watch this space" mode? Thanks!
    It'll likely be at least another two or three years before a new exam would be held, barring some unforeseen event. With this city you never do know for sure, but it's very likely going to be at least that long.

Forum Member

Anyone see the artical in the suntimes today about 600 ff and paramedic retiring by the end of 2012. It also talks about the possibility of a new test soon to make things more "diverse"

Forum Member

Here is the link the commissioner says they hope to hold a new exam next year.... They talk about 600 retiring this year about. and how overtime is increased a lot until they get new hires. who knows what our chances are now. I could easily see us being left out in the cold i think this is the ballgame for us. Although i know it takes a long time to process the new exam people and hire them. we'll see.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...d-of-year.html

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Here is the link the commissioner says they hope to hold a new exam next year.... They talk about 600 retiring this year about. and how overtime is increased a lot until they get new hires. who knows what our chances are now. I could easily see us being left out in the cold i think this is the ballgame for us. Although i know it takes a long time to process the new exam people and hire them. we'll see.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...d-of-year.html
    Yeah no doubt things are looking pretty grim. It sounds as if they have already written us off. I dont understand why they wouldnt just process us and then hold a new test. They could get one maybe two classes out of our groups.
    The city is broke yet they still will shell out millions for a new test when they already have guys waiting to go.
    Fck it. Looks like it is time to move on.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Don't get down yet. All of us need to comment on that article at least blow off some steam.
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 10-23-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Forum Member

i posted this in april

remember these dates:
    10/2005 new test ANNOUNCED (they haven't done this yet)
    05/2006 new test given
    09/2006 new test results sent out
    02/2008 first class starts off the 2006 test

even if they did start talking about a new test, it would be a while before they could/would hire off it!

nothing moves fast. if you're in some sort of processing, i wouldnt worry too much.

Forum Member

the way i read the article:

head of fire department goes before the city council budget committee.
    says 600 people MAY retire. (number probably high)
    says we are short.
    says we need classes in academy to avoid high overtime.
    all of this seems like he is TRYING to get more classes in ASAP.

then he adds he "hopes to hold" a new test in 2013 to help diversify the CFD.
    certain alderman praise him for wanting more diversity.

all i read is him wanting more firefighters ASAP, and warning them of the OT liability if they dont hire.

Forum Member

I'm so tired of hearing about this diversity nonsense. What more can the city do to make things more diverse than they did on the last exam in 2006? They were recruiting out of state for crying out loud. It was a brainless pass/fail exam. You can't make people come apply and test for a job they don't want. You have 20,000 applicants show up to take an exam, an exam with very limited and few restrictions to take. If less numbers of diversified demographics show up to even take the exam, so be it. Why are we trying to force-feed a job to people that clearly don't want it and if they can't be bothered to show and take the exam for it.
    pb1847 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey all haven't posted on this one in a while but did anyone read the suntimes today? It has more bad news about the discrimination case and the NEW total that it will cost the city.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/1590229...-expected.html

Forum Member

With the 111 group soon graduating, well most of them, I don't see the city waiting too long before a new class goes in. Those with injuries and problems passing the test probably won't be put on hold for months as I'm sure the city will be under pressure to pass them and get it over with. So, those of us waiting on FP should be hearing something soon.

Forum Member

I sure hope we hear something.

Forum Member

So I contacted The City of Chicago Human Resources and they transferred me to FD personel. I told them my status on the eligibility list, Jan 2010 PAT, and asked my current status. I was told told there is no new test planned and we are still eligible for hire. I was also told that they have recieved alot of calls regarding this after the commissioner's remarks in the newspaper on Monday. As of right now nothing has changed.
    But of course that is the cookie cutter answer. That could all change.

Forum Member

Way to make us feel better Teddy. After reading all the post from the last 3 pages my emotions went up and down and ended on an up swing again thanks to your post. Whew!!!! I'll stop back in on Nov. 1st. That was too much of a roller coaster ride for me. lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Way to make us feel better Teddy. After reading all the post from the last 3 pages my emotions went up and down and ended on an up swing again thanks to your post. Whew!!!! I'll stop back in on Nov. 1st. That was too much of a roller coaster ride for me. lol
    Yeah I hope that is good news. Of course she wouldn't tell me too much, but as of right now things are not changing. Even the lady from Chicago Human resources said she has not been given any information regarding a new test. And they have to approve and review these types of things.
    I was bounced to about 5 different people. So, at least for now, we still have hope.

Forum Member

It has been almost 4 years since anyone was hired from our 2006 exam. When I took the PAT in Jan 2010 I figured I would be hired at some point. I even bought a home inthe city so that I wouldnt have to scramble when I was called for residency. I never expected it handed to me an I understand that I was never offered employment but still I didnt want to risk not being able to move into the city.
    Now I have a house that is not worth nearly as much as I paid for it. LOL
    I'm sure alot of people have a similar story. I justhope I am given the oppurtunity to at least move on in the process.
    I often feel like the city forgot about us. If they have so many vacancies coming up, there is no reason to not at least give us a shot. I mean we would be a quick fix to the vacancies. If they have say 400 vacancies coming up, there are at least 200-300 people ready. With age and people who have moved on, I wonder how many of us are really left. 4 years is a long time to wait.
    Its a shame but hopefully we hear something.

Forum Member

And another lawsuit has been filed by african american women who were part of the lewis case from 1995 saying the pat is unfair. They are connected to the other group of women suing as well. Here is the link http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...ters-exam.html

Forum Member

Don't see that one going anywhere they should go to cpat then they can't cry when they fail..

Forum Member

this is ridiculous.. I feel bad for Chicago.. I would see a problem if one of the requirements was **** push-ups.. but I don't recall that being part of their PAT.

Thread Information