Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    I think they are just getting a head count from this initial processing next week, then once they figure out the numbers they have that are interested in the job, then they'll send out letters again, IN ORDER to report with background packet done to move forward in the process, after CPAT results of course. That way they don't have to process guys like me at 21**, with my CPAT done already if they see they have the numbers required from #'s 1200 to 1800 with a passing CPAT. Hope I'm not stating the obvious but looks as if this go around is just a head count/CPAT to me, then go from there. Which I can't wait to figure out/find out how many people show interest and where I fall in there, then of course people that fail the CPAT and the final numbers. Because realistically at 21** I think I'm a long shot here.

BTW I'll be suiting up as well. Dress like you mean it guys, actually on the other hand don't so I look better than the rest of you.
    Good call Dino. Still have no clue why this is going to take 3 hours this week?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    I will also be suiting up.
    Yeah I am going to wear a suit as well.
    I dont think it's required but I would rather be over-dressed. I would hate to get tossed for not being dressed properly. LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Yeah I am going to wear a suit as well.
    I dont think it's required but I would rather be over-dressed. I would hate to get tossed for not being dressed properly. LOL
    Honestly guys, you should not feel over dressed in a suit. Business attire to me means dark dress pants, a dress shirt, and tie at minimum. Business casual means you can wear some khakis and ditch the tie, so to me a suit is not close to over dressed.

Forum Member

Hey guys...
    I talked to a Mrs. Hammond yesterday (twice) and she told me that the age limit for civlians is still in effect.
    Must be 37 years and 364 days old by the first day of the academy. This round of processing, everyone is basically starting from scratch, but still going by your given number.
    So, if you were part of the final proc. group, you'll be in this first academy class and so forth.
    I didn't even get a packet because I'll be 38 in mid June so they didn't even bother with me.
    I've waited 4 years for nothing! Pretty disappointed, as much as I tried not to want this jobs anymore for the last 2 years or so, but life goes on.
    This first academy class will be in Oct. (per Mrs. Hammond) which is why I was automatically dropped due to the age cut off.
    Good luck to everyone that still has a chance, but remember, anything can happen and nothing is promised to you, especially in regards to the Chicago Fire Dept.!

And as far as this suburban guy who IS wishy washy...if you took this job just to quit 6 months after graduating the academy and I missed out because you took my spot...I'd find you and KICK YOUR F%CKIN *****!!!
    Stay in the burbs

RockGod signing out...

Forum Member

rockgod, i dont know what to say man. you have been here with us through the thick and thin. and to have it come to this, that you miss out on a possible academy date by a few months is genuinely upsetting. Im sincerely sorry and i wish you nothing but luck in any other endeavors you pursue. again im truly sorry.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    Hey guys...
    I talked to a Mrs. Hammond yesterday (twice) and she told me that the age limit for civlians is still in effect.
    Must be 37 years and 364 days old by the first day of the academy. This round of processing, everyone is basically starting from scratch, but still going by your given number.
    So, if you were part of the final proc. group, you'll be in this first academy class and so forth.
    I didn't even get a packet because I'll be 38 in mid June so they didn't even bother with me.
    I've waited 4 years for nothing! Pretty disappointed, as much as I tried not to want this jobs anymore for the last 2 years or so, but life goes on.
    This first academy class will be in Oct. (per Mrs. Hammond) which is why I was automatically dropped due to the age cut off.
    Good luck to everyone that still has a chance, but remember, anything can happen and nothing is promised to you, especially in regards to the Chicago Fire Dept.!

And as far as this suburban guy who IS wishy washy...if you took this job just to quit 6 months after graduating the academy and I missed out because you took my spot...I'd find you and KICK YOUR F%CKIN *****!!!
    Stay in the burbs

RockGod signing out...
    Tough news to hear I'm sure Rock. Farewell sir and thanks for giving me a good laugh in closing! My fiancÚ is going to be pumped if it really does happen in October, considering our wedding is 10/5.

Forum Member

I appreciate you saying that Cody we may not all be cut out for the CFD don't take any negative comments here seriously, only you know whats best for you not these guys it's none of there business.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

Lets say this class actually does start in October. What was the usual start date for a second class going in right after a first class?

Forum Member

Hey guys...

Stay in the burbs

RockGod signing out...
    I'm sorry to hear this rockgod, you've literally been through all of this with us and an avid poster. I've had a few different names on here and always had good communication with you. Best of luck man...

Forum Member

Good call Dino. Still have no clue why this is going to take 3 hours this week?
    Pa pa pa **** test is my assumption man. I remember standing in line for awhile in 2010 to pee so my assumption for the "majority of the day" is the pee pee test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Lets say this class actually does start in October. What was the usual start date for a second class going in right after a first class?
    Earliest would be 3 months. They do EMS first, which is 3 months then to the fire side for an additional 3 to 4 months. This is just all from what I've read. I hope they do three academies off this list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    It's not typical, but I believe they have to be a minimum of 3 months apart.

I was thinking the drug screening too, would be smart and get some people knocked out on the short notice......I can't think what else we could possibly do for hours. Oh crap, I ate a poppyseed muffin today! (Seinfeld)
    ffdino88 and Shadez like this.

Forum Member

It would be sweet if the academy started 10/14 and I got in that academy. I would quit my job the week before my wedding, get married, honeymoon and roll into the academy.

Forum Member

It would be sweet if the academy started 10/14 and I got in that academy. I would quit my job the week before my wedding, get married, honeymoon and roll into the academy.
    Talk about some life changes...all in less than one month! Congrats on the engagement.....now an October 8 academy would be cool for me....my birthday and coincidentally, anniversary of The Great Chicago Fire.....

Forum Member

Hey guys...

Stay in the burbs

RockGod signing out...
    Man Rock. I was really hoping you would get a call before you turn 38 or that they give you guys the benefit of the doubt as you have been waiting so long.
    Thanks for all the information and support you have given everyone on here.
    Most of us dont know each other in our personal lives but we certainly formed quite a group on here. LOL and no not in a Manti Te'o creepy way!
    Good Luck Rock in whatever you do. I know it doesn't change anything but you did everything the right way. Nothing is guaranteed for any of us here. But we passed what was asked only to be asked to pass something else.
    Any way good luck Rock! Stay in touch.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

I am getting so pumped!!! I cannot wait....it has been a long hard road boys, but it has finally come!!! I hope we all get hired off this list, even if it is true about them re-testing in Jan-Feb 2014.

Rockgod, sorry to hear what is happening to you...I can only imagine how much that would have to stink. But, I have to say that what you said to Cody was pretty unfair. I am sure there are a lot of people who as much as they are excited, they are also second guessing and re-examining their options. Just because Cody didn't wait around and putt all of his eggs in 1 basket waiting for CFD, but rather went out and got his medic, tested for every department, and succeeded is a great thing!! And just as he has earned that job, he has also earned his spot on CFD, and he has a right to do what he feels is best for him. If that means he stays in the burbs, great. If that means he tries CFD and resigns and goes back, well he has earned that right as well. Hopefully he will take CFD and have a great 30 year career like his family. But as long as he gets it the right way (ie not sue like the 111) than he can do what he wants, and we shouldn't be upset or negative towards him. we may all work together one day, lets stick together. I just don't think making comments about physical threats is cool....I know Rockgod is upset he lost out on his chance, but I think he is more jealous of Cody than anything.

get pumped boys, soon we will be hitting the stairs and letting people know...."who are we...CFD"
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

hey one more quick thing, I was on va-k about 4 months ago, and may have took part in some Mary Jane....that should be out of my system by now...right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldie2002 View Post
    hey one more quick thing, I was on va-k about 4 months ago, and may have took part in some Mary Jane....that should be out of my system by now...right?
    Goldie, I see why you support Cody....may have? You're pretty wishy-washy too.....haha

Cody can certainly make his own decisions, but no way could I support a decision to just try out the CFD and quit if he likes the suburban job better....sorry. I'm not saying he's an awful person, but just no way I could get behind that decision.

Forum Member

Go away....

Forum Member

wow. Well, i know one system you'll definitley be out of soon.
    ffdino88 likes this.

Forum Member

Just to calrify...I was joking about Cody... I know it doesn't come across on the internet, but I was being sarcastic (half way).
    Cody, Do what you feel is right for yourself and don't worry about what anyone else has to say. Living your life on other peoples terms is not living at all.
    And don't worry about me, I have a good career job, using my college degree making very good money. Like I posted earlier, life goes on, it is what it is, blah blah blah.

I wish all of you the best, it's been a long road and who knows maybe one day you'll save my life from a burning building or car wreck.

Goldie, good luck with the doobage because the CFD does a hair test that dates back roughly 6-8 months. Not trying to scare you, but as far as I know there is no way around beating a hair test.
    Wow, it just dawned on me that I now have the option to partake if I so choose. It feels good to have th choice again

oh and one last thing, wear a suit and dress like it is a job interview because it essentially is. You wouldn't go to a regular job interview wearing a Polo and khakis would you?
    I remember one time going down and a chief pulled about 6 guys out of line waiting to pee and was scolding them about their attire yelling "if you want a $50k a year job, you better dress like it."
    And you will be drug tested EVERY time you go down...count on that!
    Last edited by rockgod; 05-03-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Forum Member

Obviously dino, you have no sense of humor.......funny how people have always been civil on here..and now with the job at our finger tips..the gloves are coming off and the attitudes are appearing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    Earliest would be 3 months. They do EMS first, which is 3 months then to the fire side for an additional 3 to 4 months. This is just all from what I've read. I hope they do three academies off this list.
    It's not typical, but I believe they have to be a minimum of 3 months apart.

I was thinking the drug screening too, would be smart and get some people knocked out on the short notice......I can't think what else we could possibly do for hours. Oh crap, I ate a poppyseed muffin today! (Seinfeld)
    Thanks fellas!

Forum Member

Tensions do seem to be running higher than usual. Let's stick to the process at hand and remember there's about 10,000+ that wish they are where we are at presently in the process.

Rock - truly sorry this didn't pan out for you. Sounds as if you already had a backup in place (we all should). I guess the one thing to take away from this and everyone for that matter, if it's meant to be....it's meant to be.....one way or the other

Forum Member

Good luck to you rockgod. Sadly you're not the only one looking at the short end of the stick. Thank you for all your contributions to this thread
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Thread Information