Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 328 of 556 FirstFirst ... 228278318325326327328329330331338378428 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,560 of 11109
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    You are correct sedition...This happened some years back as well...there was a class, like us, that started the same time contact negotiations were completed, and once they graduated they all received a check...
    So what are you saying here? Received a check for what? The only check I know of that will be handed out is backpay, same as the cops got.

This is the most current payscale I can find on the city website:
    http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...9Grayscale.pdf

Are these salaries still the most current? It says 08-09, but I can't find anything newer.

Will the new contract give us a 10% raise from this starting salary. I suppose I should pay more attention to his stuff now, but to be honest, I've been more concerned with just getting on. I won't be taking this job for the money anyway, but it would be good stuff to know

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    When you look at the Chicago pay schedule for the firefighters, the first two classes are 1 and 1B. Does anyone know the difference? My thinking is that 1 is a firefighter and 1B is a firefighter/emt, so basically 1B applies to everyone now that the academy only puts out FF/EMT now. Is this correct or is the 1B something else?
    1 is FF 1st. Class and 1b is FF/Emt.....you will receive the 1 pay scale throughout the academy because you will not be FF/Emt's until you graduate....after you graduate you will start receiving 1b pay..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    So what are you saying here? Received a check for what? The only check I know of that will be handed out is backpay, same as the cops got.

This is the most current payscale I can find on the city website:
    http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...9Grayscale.pdf

Are these salaries still the most current? It says 08-09, but I can't find anything newer.

Will the new contract give us a 10% raise from this starting salary. I suppose I should pay more attention to his stuff now, but to be honest, I've been more concerned with just getting on. I won't be taking this job for the money anyway, but it would be good stuff to know
    If you guys were to start April 1st you will receive $4,166.00 per month until you graduate...after graduation you will receive 4,375.00 per month...starting Jan 1st 2012 your pay will be $4,419.00 per month...after Apil 1st 2012 you move up to step 2 and will be paid $5,386.00 per month...

Forum Member

bugs, I'm assuming that is take home pay after taxes and all that good stuff, right?

Forum Member

bugs, I'm assuming that is take home pay after taxes and all that good stuff, right?
    im sure that is off a chart and doesn't include taxes since people have different taxes.

Forum Member

No...minus federal and state taxes, insurance, deferred comp, pension 9.1% soon to be 12.1%....figure you will receive about 60% on the pay scale...don't forget you get uniform allowance in feb and oct.....shift differential pay in jan, april, aug and oct..after you graduate figure you will gross another 10k per year for all those things and holiday pay..after you graduate you can get your tech-A certification which pays you an extra 5% a year but with the new contract you can't receive that money until 30 months after you complete it and are in the chicago system....best damn job you can ever have

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    No...minus federal and state taxes, insurance, deferred comp, pension 9.1% soon to be 12.1%....figure you will receive about 60% on the pay scale...don't forget you get uniform allowance in feb and oct.....shift differential pay in jan, april, aug and oct..after you graduate figure you will gross another 10k per year for all those things and holiday pay..after you graduate you can get your tech-A certification which pays you an extra 5% a year but with the new contract you can't receive that money until 30 months after you complete it and are in the chicago system....best damn job you can ever have
    Thanks Bugsy, from a fellow Bevrat; lookin forward to it...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    uniform allowance always confused me and i can never get a straight answer. Do you really need to spend that much on upkeep for your uniform?

Forum Member

Bugsy based it off the current payscale and added the 8% for the raise. The add'l 2% will come in a year I believe for the full 10% raise. Current scale shows academy pay (grade 1)of $3811 per month and with an 8% raise it comes to $4116 and then just same across the board. That is the payscale not with any deductions or taxes or anything.

Current annual pay while in academy is $45,732 and will be increased to $49,392 w/ 8% increase and then post academy pay (grade 1B) goes from $47,562 to $51367

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seditiondp View Post
    uniform allowance always confused me and i can never get a straight answer. Do you really need to spend that much on upkeep for your uniform?
    You will be surprised at how many pairs of black socks you will go through in a year....I buy new socks about 6 times a year.....you'll buy other stuff you'll need during the year...t-shirts, winter hats, extra gloves...it adds up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Bugsy based it off the current payscale and added the 8% for the raise. The add'l 2% will come in a year I believe for the full 10% raise. Current scale shows academy pay (grade 1)of $3811 per month and with an 8% raise it comes to $4116 and then just same across the board. That is the payscale not with any deductions or taxes or anything.

Current annual pay while in academy is $45,732 and will be increased to $49,392 w/ 8% increase and then post academy pay (grade 1B) goes from $47,562 to $51367
    We have already received the new pay scale schedules.....it's $49,992 for grade 1 and $52,500 for 1b for 2011....all in step 1

Forum Member

Default EMT-B Pay

FYI, per the terms of the new contract passed today by the City Council, new hires WILL NOT begin to collect EMT-B pay until thrity months after date of hire. Sorry guys.

Forum Member

What if your a paramedic not a crossover but from a suburb (if I'm lucky enough to get hired)

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok so the update what I saw today. Also seemed like it was 45 people. I was the 2nd one in and the 2nd to last to leave.

I was told they will have all hair back by monday, and hope to have BI reprocessed in 2 weeks hopefully less. (assuming that includes Fingerprints)

When I filled out another change of address today it was made very clear that this is a big hurry (is the vibe i got). I was specifically asked if I would be accepting or waiving this class for the next. I was told its important because she needs an accurate number to give to personel.

I was out of there around 1130, seemed like the last of everyone else was out around 10 at the latest.

One more thing to mention there was 3 of us doing paperwork today one situation similar to mine i think. the 3rd person was there recieved a phone call yesterday sometime and was told to report today if he was interested. I didnt ask and should have found out his other processing dates if he was after us or what. But he as well had to do BI, Fingerprints, P/Hair test. so I was thinking maybe the had to bring someone up from another group to meet a number for the academy. (thats all speculation so just telling you all what I experienced).

Forum Member

Here is a question that I'm curious about and not to bring politics into this but rahm emanuel if elected said he would freeze city spending saving 75 million would part of this freeze include replacing and hiring fireman? Or does the unions minimum manning provision supersede this? (I'd vote for chico if you live in the city this is sort of scary)

Forum Member

edit edit edit
    Last edited by seditiondp; 02-10-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Forum Member

edit edit edit
    Last edited by seditiondp; 02-10-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Forum Member

sorry guys. like i said. i am not getting into politics so i deleted this stuff.
    Last edited by seditiondp; 02-10-2011 at 04:02 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRCO2H View Post
    FYI, per the terms of the new contract passed today by the City Council, new hires WILL NOT begin to collect EMT-B pay until thrity months after date of hire. Sorry guys.
    and per the terms of the new contract, new hires will not begin to collect TECH-A pay until thirty months after their date of hire.

Forum Member

What is tech-A pay?
    So basically, if the academy starts 4-1-11, new hires will be in paygrade 1 until 10-1-13?
    Which by that time, we'll be in step 2, with another 12 months to go to get bumped up to step 3? Am I reading the payscale correct with what you guys are stating about the new contract?

What is the deal with the class grade?
    Is that earned by tested promotions? 1rst class, FF/Paramedic, engineer, LT. etc...

Thread Information