Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    I think they're just trying to scare people into getting the test done themselves so the city doesn't have to fork over $100,000 on guys that may not even make it through.
    I was thinking about all this wasted money. They already processed a lot of us once and now all that certified mail, all those drug tests this week, hair tests next time, which are a pretty penny, then the CPAT, background investigations, so on and so forth and if they're only taking a couple hundred people....just crazy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    I was thinking about all this wasted money. They already processed a lot of us once and now all that certified mail, all those drug tests this week, hair tests next time, which are a pretty penny, then the CPAT, background investigations, so on and so forth and if they're only taking a couple hundred people....just crazy.
    This is why they should be stricter with folks not coming in dressed properly and unprepared with items they specifically told you to bring and have filled out. Doesn't make sense to me.

Forum Member

I have a hard time believing that they aren't using numbers.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 08-29-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    I have a hard time believing that they aren't using numbers. I mean the faster you get stuff in? Aren't we supposed to turn background and all that in at our next date to report. So who says they'll even take stuff ahead of time. If that was the case then why would they have us show up? Why wouldn't we just all be in a rat race to get stuff in by tomorrow? Just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't use numbers, which believe me I'm a fan of due to my number. I mean I could have everything in by monday for sure.
    Exactly! I think it was just a scare tactic to pay for it on our own. Although, the first thing I thought of when they asked for the first 20 people to go take a **** and half the group got up was why don't they just go by aisle and take the first 18 guys? So unorganized. lol

Forum Member

I have a hard time believing that they aren't using numbers. I mean the faster you get stuff in? Aren't we supposed to turn background and all that in at our next date to report. So who says they'll even take stuff ahead of time. If that was the case then why would they have us show up? Why wouldn't we just all be in a rat race to get stuff in by tomorrow? Just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't use numbers, which believe me I'm a fan of due to my number. I mean I could have everything in by monday for sure.
    They ARE using numbers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    They ARE using numbers.
    They pretty much have to unless they want another lawsuit.

Forum Member

I was the one who asked the female paramedic in line about calling by numbers. I think the processing portion is going through Ms. Hammond. So I guess she would know best.
    I can't see them changing the order now. I mean it would be a waste to have us all come back if we could hand in the paperwork anytime.
    Who knows what will happen.
    I did see a guy in jeans yesterday and I did not see him get kicked out. Maybe they are were more focused on it today.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Ms. Hammond gave us the dates of June 6-14, for the next round. They also said to us today, that there are more numbers its first come, first serve. Also one guy left before test, so another one down
    I was there today. I think what keefus is saying here is true, and you guys are all misinterpreting what they meant by "first come, first serve". Here is the deal:

1. The city don't give a rats *** about your list number

2. If you're a female and you came in on May 6, or any of the dates, but can produce your CPAT card and complete everything before the October academy, you're in. They have first priority, and will still have first priority until the very last academy off this exam

3. If you're a male and came in on May 7 (and so on), then you probably lucked out, because the continuation dates of June 6-14 for next round processing will be mailed out in that order. As long as they sent out all the interest cards, they have covered there *** on the number deal. I know this for a fact because CPD did the same thing and they were able to go all over the place with list numbers.

4. If your dates are later ones (May 9 and up) you're probably SOL (like me).

Forum Member

Makes some sense from that perspective and why they had more than half of the women show up on day 1.

Forum Member

Jet here.....when i was down on Tuesday, there were 3 women in my group and 1 was a crossover CFD medic.....

Forum Member

As long as the city sent a packet to you, regardless of your number, you have been given a chance to become a Chicago FF. In reality though, we know that there are only so many spots available. Don't forget, you're dealing with city government here. It doesn't differ much from the federal level, and from the way I see it, it's extremely disorderly when compared to the fed.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 05-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Forum Member

Harry, I asked if orientation days determined how classes would be filled, they said no. That's when they said first come, first serve.

Forum Member

There has to be some sort of process because they never said we can just drop of the info or anything like that. They only said to drop off stuff if you didn't fill out any of the required paper work that was supposed to be turned in on your day this week or next.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Harry, I asked if orientation days determined how classes would be filled, they said no. That's when they said first come, first serve.
    Could be, but that's just my theory. It sure seems to matter if you're a woman from the first day. Not sure if you noticed, but they seem to be changing their story everyday :-)
    Last edited by harrynuts; 05-09-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    Could be, but that's just my theory. Not sure if you noticed, but they seem to be changing their story everyday :-)
    Yep, they're not dumb. They're pressuring everyone to get as much done as possible on our own dime. They know the word will spread.

It seems like when that question comes up about how people will be picked they give us the run around. Everything else I feel they're honest about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    There has to be some sort of process because they never said we can just drop of the info or anything like that. They only said to drop off stuff if you didn't fill out any of the required paper work that was supposed to be turned in on your day this week or next.
    As I said, the dates are the only order at this point. I have all my stuff ready as I type, but can't go in to drop them off I guess. Even though I did complete my CPAT on May 2, i'm still SOL because someone from an earlier orientation date will beat me to the punch before June 6-10. You could have had everything completed (Background,CPAT, Documents) in that folder on May 8 or 9, and it still won't matter because everyone will get a date assigned
    Last edited by harrynuts; 05-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Forum Member

As I said, the dates are the only order at this point. I have all my stuff ready as I type, but can't go in to drop them off I guess. Even though I did complete my CPAT on May 2, i'm still SOL because someone from an earlier orientation date will beat me to the punch before June 6-10.You could have had everything completed (Background,CPAT, Documents) in that folder on May 8 or 9, and it still won't matter because everyone will get a date assigned
    Ok that makes a little more sense man.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 10-02-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Forum Member

I wonder if this somehow coincides with where you are in the process.
    1)Monday lawsuit folks
    2) Tuesday-Thursday folks either in FP or PAT takers.
    3) Friday thru next Tuesday people who are beginning the process

The only reason I say this is why were there only 90 people there today. I would figure that they would try to pack as many people in as they can. I find it hard to believe 60 plus didn't show up as every other group was pretty full. Unless someone here has completed the steps and are going in tomorrow or next week to prove that theory wrong. Remember they sent an excess of letters.
    If you look at the total amount from the last few days, with the exception of the lawsuit group, the number are really close to those in processing.
    If you were not in any sort of processing then you are going to fill whatever spots are left from those who do not move on.
    Which could be any number of people. I know we are starting from scratch but that is the only thing that makes sense as far as the days we were assigned. Everyone I talked to yesterday was in some sort of processing stage. There was no one who is just starting out.

I could be way off. But it seems like that makes the most sense.

Forum Member

oiduflajsflkajdsflkajdflkajsdflkajsdflkasdlfkj
    Last edited by chigo23; 05-13-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Forum Member

Cuz if first come first serve was the case I'd be camped out in front of where ever the hell I needed to be and turning all my stuff in tomorrow
    Exactly. I'm equally as diligent as you are :-)

If it was on a walk-in basis, it could turn into a huge mess

Forum Member

The cost of this test has gone down substantially.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Forum Member

Oh yea, i can see some bad **** going down in this city over a job if they had 300 of us camped out outside the building all day and night.

Forum Member

I still can't believe the guy with sneakers got let in. I guess they didn't look down at his feet. They also said that if you fail the **** test you get an opportunity to explain why. There's more to all this than most of us even know. lol

I hope none of you guys lose sleep over it. If its meant to happen it'll happen for all of us.

Forum Member

Going back to the hair test. They might saving some money by doing the urine first to weed out alot of undesirables. If it's in the hair it wouldn't matter if your were dirty yesterday, or a month from now when they do actually do it. It will show up either way, and if you come in their all shaved up with no hair, they will tell you to take a hike.

Forum Member

and if you come in their all shaved up with no hair, they will tell you to take a hike.
    I can picture guys coming in all Blue Man Group and stuff. Hahahaha

Thread Information