Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 329 of 554 FirstFirst ... 229279319326327328329330331332339379429 ... LastLast
Results 6,561 to 6,580 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    What is tech-A pay?
    So basically, if the academy starts 4-1-11, new hires will be in paygrade 1 until 10-1-13?
    Which by that time, we'll be in step 2, with another 12 months to go to get bumped up to step 3? Am I reading the payscale correct with what you guys are stating about the new contract?

What is the deal with the class grade?
    Is that earned by tested promotions? 1rst class, FF/Paramedic, engineer, LT. etc...
    tech-a is a haz-mat certification. you have to take this class on your own time after you get out of the academy.

new hires spend first 30 months in class grade 1. you'll get the step raises at 12 / 24 / 18 / 30 months. at 30 months you move to 1B (for a FF/EMT) or 2 (for FF/PM).

3A is engr
    3AB engr/emt
    3AP engr/pm
    4 is LT
    4B LT/emt
    4P LT/pm
    Last edited by 233wacker; 02-10-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Forum Member

This is a little bit confusing.
    Let's see if I understand this right.
    Hire date 4-1-11 (first 30 months at class grade 1)
    first step raise 4-1-12?
    second step raise 4-1-13? (class grade bump to 1B @ 10-1-13[30 months from hire date])
    third step raise 10-1-14?
    fourth step raise 4-1-17?
    etc...

Do I have that right?
    When are new hires eligible to take their first class grade promotion test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NSFire473 View Post
    Ok so the update what I saw today. Also seemed like it was 45 people. I was the 2nd one in and the 2nd to last to leave.

I was told they will have all hair back by monday, and hope to have BI reprocessed in 2 weeks hopefully less. (assuming that includes Fingerprints)

When I filled out another change of address today it was made very clear that this is a big hurry (is the vibe i got). I was specifically asked if I would be accepting or waiving this class for the next. I was told its important because she needs an accurate number to give to personel.

I was out of there around 1130, seemed like the last of everyone else was out around 10 at the latest.

One more thing to mention there was 3 of us doing paperwork today one situation similar to mine i think. the 3rd person was there recieved a phone call yesterday sometime and was told to report today if he was interested. I didnt ask and should have found out his other processing dates if he was after us or what. But he as well had to do BI, Fingerprints, P/Hair test. so I was thinking maybe the had to bring someone up from another group to meet a number for the academy. (thats all speculation so just telling you all what I experienced).
    I was also asked if I would be waiving or accepting the class. As to hurry up vibe. I always get that impression when I'm there. I don't think its going to be long at all though.

Forum Member

This is a little bit confusing.
    Let's see if I understand this right.
    Hire date 4-1-11 (first 30 months at class grade 1)
    first step raise 4-1-12?
    second step raise 4-1-13? (class grade bump to 1B @ 10-1-13[30 months from hire date])
    third step raise 10-1-14?
    fourth step raise 4-1-17?
    etc...

Do I have that right?
    When are new hires eligible to take their first class grade promotion test?
    if you are looking at the salary schedule, think of it this way.
    "after XX months"...means after XX months of your hire date.
    so you get a raise after 12 months of hire, another one 6 mos after that, another one a year after that (at which point you go to 1B or 2, and start getting tech-a), and another one a year after that, and another one a year after that (54 months of service).

promotional exams come by every 10 years or so. they had a LT's test 2 years ago and are still waiting for the results. FYI, you need 8 years on the job to get full senority points on promotion exams....so by the time they have another test we should be about there.

Forum Member

I am looking at the salary sched.
    So after 54 months (4.5yrs) in service, we would have gotten to step 6.

Forum Member

I am looking at the salary sched.
    So after 54 months (4.5yrs) in service, we would have gotten to step 6.
    yes. you'd be in the step 6 column. and since it would be 30 months after being hired, you'd be in the 1B row for FF/EMT, or the 2 row for a FF/PM.

basically the raises come fast, and oftern, up to 54 months. after you hit that 54 month raise, you have to wait until 10 years after your hire date, for the next raise.

Forum Member

Thanks for clearing that up Wack, and for your patience

Forum Member

All this salary talk i just hope i and we get in to have a salary on the best department in the nation

Forum Member

My numbers might be off, but going off of the schedule I have and what I know, these numbers should be close.

4/1/11 start - Current grade 1 step 1 is $45,732 + 8% raise = $49,391
    1/1/12 2% raise for full 10% = $50,305
    4/1/12 - 1 year after hire move to step 2 = $61,301
    10/1/12 - 18 months after hire move to step 3 = $64,786
    10/1/13 - 30 months after hire move to step 4 and grade 1B = $70851 or grade 2 = $72,897

Again these may not be exact, but i think this is a good ballpark.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    My numbers might be off, but going off of the schedule I have and what I know, these numbers should be close.

4/1/11 start - Current grade 1 step 1 is $45,732 + 8% raise = $49,391
    1/1/12 2% raise for full 10% = $50,305
    4/1/12 - 1 year after hire move to step 2 = $61,301
    10/1/12 - 18 months after hire move to step 3 = $64,786
    10/1/13 - 30 months after hire move to step 4 and grade 1B = $70851 or grade 2 = $72,897

Again these may not be exact, but i think this is a good ballpark.

2012 raise is 1% not 2%
    Grade 1 for 2011 is 49,992
    Grade 1 for 2012 is 50,490
    Grade 1b Step 4 (30 months) for 2012 is 71,802

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    2012 raise is 1% not 2%
    Grade 1 for 2011 is 49,992
    Grade 1 for 2012 is 50,490
    Grade 1b Step 4 (30 months) for 2012 is 71,802
    Like I said, my #'s would be ballpark, but may not be exact, so I appreciate you getting the correct info. What is the current pay though, b/c off the schedule i'm showing the 8% doesn't give the $49,992, so my starting point of $45,732 must be off or something.

MembersZone Subscriber

Change of subject a bit but what do we know about the academy. What should we expect from day 1?
    Is EMT portion first and then Fire or is it the opposite.
    Is there pt 1, 2 or 3 times a day? what are some of you doing at this point to prepare yourselfs for the daily PT? If you dont mind sharing workout routines im sure they're are some here who dont know what they are getting into when it comes to an academy.
    My biggest question is what are they doing exactly for PT on a daily basis. I am sure there are guys/gals on here that have no clue. I have an idea but some true fact sure wouldnt hurt.

Personally I limit my Cardio to 2-3 times a week because i have a hard time bulking when i do to much.

4 days a week. (it varies to 3 at times just not enough time in the week)
    Back & Tri's
    Arms & Shoulders
    Chest
    Legs

Below is a seperate workout
    - 5 days a week are Sit ups, Push ups, Pull ups, & a complete set of Stretches.
    Which are completed either first thing in the morning or 2 hours before bed.

Well best of luck everyone idk if that helps anyone but i am definitly interested in others workout routines its about time i switch mine up.

Also guys lets talk about what we can expect daily in classroom as well as PT. Daily tests, all night homework, really I am clueless what to expect when it comes to the classroom side what they are going to have us doing.

Personally I am not to conerned with the money situation because if we dont prepare and get thro the academy then we have no reason to worry about our salary in 4.5 years.

Forum Member

Personally I am not to conerned with the money situation because if we dont prepare and get thro the academy then we have no reason to worry about our salary in 4.5 years.
    well said...i too would be more worried about getting into (and prepared for) the academy, and then, making it through the academy.

Forum Member

Change of subject a bit but what do we know about the academy. What should we expect from day 1?
    Is EMT portion first and then Fire or is it the opposite.
    Is there pt 1, 2 or 3 times a day? what are some of you doing at this point to prepare yourselfs for the daily PT? If you dont mind sharing workout routines im sure they're are some here who dont know what they are getting into when it comes to an academy.
    My biggest question is what are they doing exactly for PT on a daily basis. I am sure there are guys/gals on here that have no clue. I have an idea but some true fact sure wouldnt hurt.

Personally I limit my Cardio to 2-3 times a week because i have a hard time bulking when i do to much.

4 days a week. (it varies to 3 at times just not enough time in the week)
    Back & Tri's
    Arms & Shoulders
    Chest
    Legs

Below is a seperate workout
    - 5 days a week are Sit ups, Push ups, Pull ups, & a complete set of Stretches.
    Which are completed either first thing in the morning or 2 hours before bed.

Well best of luck everyone idk if that helps anyone but i am definitly interested in others workout routines its about time i switch mine up.

Also guys lets talk about what we can expect daily in classroom as well as PT. Daily tests, all night homework, really I am clueless what to expect when it comes to the classroom side what they are going to have us doing.

FAS for EMT first 3 mos, Quinn for Fire last 3 mos. Don't get too crazy hyping yourself up for the PT, 300 pounders make it through no prob, I know first hand(buddy of mine)...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    FAS for EMT first 3 mos, Quinn for Fire last 3 mos. Don't get too crazy hyping yourself up for the PT, 300 pounders make it through no prob, I know first hand(buddy of mine)...
    PT will be a breeze, I'm more worried about studying in peace and quiet with three kids runnin' around! I'll be hittin' the library..

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I am not a big guy, but I have always been able to pull my own and some on a fire scene. It has just been a regular routine of mine to keep up on physical fitness.

Is it true that you dont need to take the final emt test if your already a EMT-NREMT? or do they still make you go through all of the ems stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Like I said, my #'s would be ballpark, but may not be exact, so I appreciate you getting the correct info. What is the current pay though, b/c off the schedule i'm showing the 8% doesn't give the $49,992, so my starting point of $45,732 must be off or something.
    our contract is for 5 years with a 10 % raise, add a extra 1% if your an emt...it's not 2% per year, it goes something like this 2007-1%, 2008-2%, 2009-2%, 2010-2%, 2011-2%, 2012-1%....if your a emt you get 1% more for a total of 11%...the numbers I posted about pay salary are accurate and they come from the new contract...if you start this year your going to get a gross pay check on the 1St and 16th. of the month for $2,083 during 2011..in 2012 it will be $2,103.75 per pay period

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    All this salary talk i just hope i and we get in to have a salary on the best department in the nation
    Dude, you're in.. No black cat or billy goat gonna stop you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blue2520 View Post
    Dude, you're in.. No black cat or billy goat gonna stop you.
    Blue must be a cub fan...they're the only ones that believe a billy goat can curse you

Forum Member

Scrum,

Sounds like you have a pretty solid routine. However, I'd think cardio would be pretty important for this position. I also think strength would be more important than bulk (which can be achieved while having a good amount of cardio in your routine).

There's tons of established routines that work just as well as others; I split mine up into:

Day 1: triceps, chest and shoulders
    Day 2: back/biceps
    Day 3 legs

3 exercises for each muscle group. 3 sets. 8 reps 1st set, 6 reps 2nd set, 4 reps 3rd set (or until failure). Sometimes I throw some negative reps in there for the hell of it.

I've also been jogging 1/2 hour 5 days a week and running stairs for about 10 minutes within that 30-minute block. Next week I plan on completely replacing jogging with stair-climbing two of those days. Granted, I have a bit of fat to lose but I still think that's a good amount of cardio even if I didn't.

I know there's tons of varying opinions on workout routines and whether to emphasize strength or cardio and I'm certainly not claiming this is the best routine for everyone but it seems to work well for me.

And even if PT isn't that tough, I would like to be in great shape before I get in there so I can handle anything that's thrown at me.

Thread Information