Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 330 of 552 FirstFirst ... 230280320327328329330331332333340380430 ... LastLast
Results 6,581 to 6,600 of 11028
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification Bugsy. I was off, b/c I was doing 8% and it should have been 9%.

Anyway, not to many people fail the academy because of PT and I guarantee not everyone entering is in great shape and many probably don't prepare themselves to go into the academy.

I played football throughout high school and college, so strength and size has never been an issue for me and really isn't a concern for me now. I'm now years out of that, so I had put on some extra weight the first couple years after being done with college and entering the working world, so when the CFD processing began, my only real concern was cardio and slimming down.

I do strength training 3 days a week in the groups of legs, arms and then chest/back. I run 5/6 days per week 4-6 miles per day. So the PT is not much of a concern, but I agree in that I just want to commit to being in the best shape I can for the dept and will prepare myself for the academy.

Nobody has commented on this from what the actual PT will be and how often yet, though I'm sure you can find that through previous posts a while back, but I would assume that cardio is your biggest concern when it comes to the PT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by symmewise View Post
    Scrum,

Sounds like you have a pretty solid routine. However, I'd think cardio would be pretty important for this position. I also think strength would be more important than bulk (which can be achieved while having a good amount of cardio in your routine).

There's tons of established routines that work just as well as others; I split mine up into:

Day 1: triceps, chest and shoulders
    Day 2: back/biceps
    Day 3 legs

3 exercises for each muscle group. 3 sets. 8 reps 1st set, 6 reps 2nd set, 4 reps 3rd set (or until failure). Sometimes I throw some negative reps in there for the hell of it.

I've also been jogging 1/2 hour 5 days a week and running stairs for about 10 minutes within that 30-minute block. Next week I plan on completely replacing jogging with stair-climbing two of those days. Granted, I have a bit of fat to lose but I still think that's a good amount of cardio even if I didn't.

I know there's tons of varying opinions on workout routines and whether to emphasize strength or cardio and I'm certainly not claiming this is the best routine for everyone but it seems to work well for me.

And even if PT isn't that tough, I would like to be in great shape before I get in there so I can handle anything that's thrown at me.
    Sounds like you have a good plan goin' on there bud...I'm a journeyman rugby player ( hence the username, SCRUM)...so strength and conditioning is all good, plus i'm at LA Fitness daily, so when it comes to the physical and conditioning part of PT, for me, and I speak for myself only, it's going to be a breeze...getting yelled at constantly an inch to the face will get some getting used to, and like I sais, three wee ones runnin' around should make for a pleasurable study time...stick with the routine, every bit will help..Good luck!

Forum Member

Your 1st. day is going to go like this....the first thing you will notice is the temp. in the drill hall will be about 100 degrees..no joke, they do raise the temp to F with you....someone will not bring with them what is on your list of things to bring your first day....it goes like this, your to bring two locks day one and there will be someone who brings one...you all will be told to hold both your locks over your head and that lasts about 30 mins. try that at home because you will be doing that everyday with some type of object for hours throughout the day....you'll soon learn a water bottle feels like it weighs 100 pounds after 30 mins holding it over your head.....to also F with you they will have all 100 of you guys doing PT in the drill hall for the first few weeks...cardio is king with this job, if you can climb stairs for an hour straight with a 30 pound hose length on your shoulder you will have no problem at all..

also, whatever your told to bring day 1 make sure you bring it and if it says bring a 32 ounce water bottle don't bring a 12, 18, 60 ounce one or if your told to bring a 3" binder bring a 3" binder.....that's the type of crap that's going to get your butts kicked in every day when people don't follow directions...
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 02-10-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    Your 1st. day is going to go like this....the first thing you will notice is the temp. in the drill hall will be about 100 degrees..no joke, they do raise the temp to F with you....someone will not bring with them what is on your list of things to bring your first day....it goes like this, your to bring two locks day one and there will be someone who brings one...you all will be told to hold both your locks over your head and that lasts about 30 mins. try that at home because you will be doing that everyday with some type of object for hours throughout the day....you'll soon learn a water bottle feels like it weighs 100 pounds after 30 mins holding it over your head.....to also F with you they will have all 100 of you guys doing PT in the drill hall for the first few weeks...cardio is king with this job, if you can climb stairs for an hour straight with a 30 pound hose length on your shoulder you will have no problem at all..

also, whatever your told to bring day 1 make sure you bring it and if it says bring a 32 ounce water bottle don't bring a 12, 18, 60 ounce one or if your told to bring a 3" binder bring a 3" binder.....that's the type of crap that's going to get your butts kicked in every day when people don't follow directions...
    It's funny you mention the temperature Bugsy, cause I'm not sure if it was just me, but it felt like they had the heat OFF for processing last week...I thought about that while I was in there and I laughed....

Forum Member

Just a question regarding how often Chicago Fire tests? I have looked around through various search engines and was unable to find. Thanks for the help.

Forum Member

there is no set time frame cfd2013 the last test was 06 and prior to that 95 so maybe 2015 ish but who knows since they want to test more often but i doubt it given the state of the economy and the viability of this list still. so its gonna be a while yet sorry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post

also, whatever your told to bring day 1 make sure you bring it and if it says bring a 32 ounce water bottle don't bring a 12, 18, 60 ounce one or if your told to bring a 3" binder bring a 3" binder.....that's the type of crap that's going to get your butts kicked in every ay when people don't follow directions...
    So it it like the first few weeks or months, they kick your *** with PT to "break you down" so to speak and then it is just regular PT at specific times of the day? Or, do they kick your *** with PT during the length of the academy?
    I remember boot camp and the first few weeks to a month, they dropped us into PT for any reason what so ever. Like someone turning their eyes to the side, or having their gig line off. Then after a month or so, they had us PT at regular intervals throughout the day. It was more to let us know how to follow orders and for attention to detail than anything else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    Blue must be a cub fan...they're the only ones that believe a billy goat can curse you
    A black cat wearing a cubs hat can curse you... But not sure about the billy goat.
    Last edited by blue2520; 02-10-2011 at 06:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sweet all good info thanks guys.

I may increase my cardio some but not much. I am confident on my level and where I am with my training. May add an additionally day of stairs I can definitly see them killing us on stairs.
    I can definitly see several people being completely unprepared that I saw on wed.

SCRUM - I noticed that same thing WED it was freezing in that building could also be that I am accustomed to 50-60 degrees right now, but I will readjust to the cold originally being from MI up till 8 months ago.

Forum Member

Seeing how things are moving along now, anyone quit their job yet? I'm so tempted to go in next week and give my two weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrRightNow View Post
    Seeing how things are moving along now, anyone quit their job yet? I'm so tempted to go in next week and give my two weeks.
    So it isnt just a clever name.

Forum Member

I just wish it would happen already. I'm ready to move back to chicago..

MembersZone Subscriber

You must have been on the 95 List Huh?.....

Or you just haven't read any of the past 330 Pages?....

Were almost there......

Forum Member

I'm not counting my chickens till I get a paycheck thats says city of chicago on it. and no not 95.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmith28 View Post
    I'm not counting my chickens till I get a paycheck thats says city of chicago on it. and no not 95.
    I was refering to MrRightNow.

Forum Member

gotcha.. wasnt tryin to be rude either way..

Forum Member

Any word or any guesses on when the next academy would be after April 1?? (If next one is on April 1)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjw60620 View Post
    Any word or any guesses on when the next academy would be after April 1?? (If next one is on April 1)
    The MINIMUM would be 3 months after.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjw60620 View Post
    assume anywhere from that and eternity....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seditiondp View Post
    assume anywhere from that and eternity....
    Nice Sedition. 3 months would be excellent to beat out the entitlement class again, but i'm not holding my breath on it being that soon or having another academy before them. The one blessing for those in FP right now is that the great US judicial system runs so efficiently.

Thread Information