Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 332 of 555 FirstFirst ... 232282322329330331332333334335342382432 ... LastLast
Results 6,621 to 6,640 of 11083
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

ILLFFPM having this kind of negative emotion is the worst thing you can possibly have in the fire service. This kind of emotion will get you killed. I don't know if you've been around fire at all but it will. Just be chill. Keep your head on straight and show up to the academy in as good physical shape as you possibly can! Do WORK!

Forum Member

[...........
    Last edited by E99L62; 08-17-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Are you talking about my post I'm just nervous/ excited to possibly work the best job in the world sorry I'm not a zombie that has no emotion.
    Nervous is one thing...if you're nervous then that means you care about the task at hand...I'm not a zombie but being paranoid means ur not confident...and all that worring goes no where. I'm not trying to make fun here, please don't get me wrong, all i'm trying to say is you can't go into this or any job being paranoid about what might happen. I'm sure this paranoid feeling will go away when your going through PT and ur can't feel your legs and ur lungs feel like their going to explode.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    First off, I would worry if I was you....your the type of person who is going to has a hard time with this job......Secondly, there's types of fear/scared...one is being literally scared to do your job and then there's the fear someone has before experiencing something new or something danderous......I think these two guys fall in the nervous about starting a new career and what is ahead of them....that is 100% normal...do you think they prepare you to handle death in the academy? do you think they can show you every real life situations in the academy? you will see more on the first run of your career than 99% of people see in a lifetime...how do you teach that??? I was nervous/afraid before the academy started, during the academy, my first day in the firehouse hoping the guys I'm going to be working with and living with will accept me....but I still keep a little fear in the back of my head so I don't put myself in a dangerous situation and get killed or kill someone... How about this one....my friend Ed Stringer was killed on Dec. 22nd at a fire when the roof collapsed...I worked with Ed..do you think we were a little bit on edge or maybe nervous at the next fire we went too? I would rather work anyday of the week with these two guys your complaing about than one second with you.....you have alot to learn and maybe this job isn't right for you.
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend, I have family members that were very close to Ed and I'm sure he was a great fireman to have on the job. Like I said I am not trying to talk over anyone that is a fireman like your self...but what i was talking about was if your nervous about how prepared you are then your going to make a mistake ...i understand all those feeling about being nervous in a dangerous situation (it means you care) and that you know that you could die and also about starting a new career (i would be one of those people coming from the education world to fire fighting) i also never said anything about not learning everyday on the job so don't put words on me that i never said. My point was...after the academy you are going to be as prepared as possible...and the rest you will learn on the job. Trust me I understand that, after my undergrad for teaching I learned more in my own classroom than I ever did at college. But college got me prepared as much as I can to take on those situations. the rest that I have learned was through other teachers and coaches because they have been there before. As far as working with me...I don't believe you are right...i think if u knew me you would want me to be on your team.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by duhawkin35 View Post
    Nervous is one thing...if you're nervous then that means you care about the task at hand...I'm not a zombie but being paranoid means ur not confident...and all that worring goes no where. I'm not trying to make fun here, please don't get me wrong, all i'm trying to say is you can't go into this or any job being paranoid about what might happen. I'm sure this paranoid feeling will go away when your going through PT and ur can't feel your legs and ur lungs feel like their going to explode.
    I think the guy said he was anxious about getting the academy started and paranoid about getting injured before as in, it would suck to have all this waiting and then get injured a week before the academy and have to defer and miss it. I'm pretty sure that's what he is saying and I really don't think he is paranoid and losing sleep thinking about an injury, I'm pretty sure he was just expressing his anxiety waiting on this thing to start since it is moving along again.

I don't know his background and why he worries of injury risk, but perhaps his current profession is one that has a high injury risk, but I think you may have misinterpreted his paranoia.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    I think the guy said he was anxious about getting the academy started and paranoid about getting injured before as in, it would suck to have all this waiting and then get injured a week before the academy and have to defer and miss it. I'm pretty sure that's what he is saying and I really don't think he is paranoid and losing sleep thinking about an injury, I'm pretty sure he was just expressing his anxiety waiting on this thing to start since it is moving along again.

I don't know his background and why he worries of injury risk, but perhaps his current profession is one that has a high injury risk, but I think you may have misinterpreted his paranoia.
    If that is the case then I am wrong, I totally understand that...this is a long wait for something and that will be in the back of my head when my time comes

Forum Member

Plain and simple nerves are natural and normal and generally the larger the situation, the greater the nerves. Successful people overcome the nerves and are able to fight through them to accomplish their tasks and responsibilities and then grow and learn from the situation, so that next time the nerves are reduced.

It's a message board, so it's easy to misinterpret things I suppose.

Forum Member

Thank you dalsh that is the case exactly we have been waiting for two years and to have some fluke thing happen would be devastating that's all I'm saying to have it be messed up this close. and as far as my background I'm a current full time firefighter paramedic so it makes me realize even more how great this possible opportunity is.I did not mean to cause a **** storm just seeing if anybody else was feeling how i was.

MembersZone Subscriber

All I think ILFFPM was saying is he's worried about getting injured before class starts. Which would mean he would have to waive the class. As I am worried about the same.

As to the other talk thats going on. I don't know how anyone about to enter the chicago fire academy wouldn't be nervous. Your going to be a part of one of, if not the most respected fire departments in the world! One of the most important lessons you can learn about this job is to listen to the guys who have been there. Keeping your mouth shut and listening to what they have to say. If theres one thing I've learned in the fire service is. When you move to a new job/fire dept, no one cares where you've been or what you've done. Only thing that matters is what you do today or tomorrow. Not to say what you've learned isn't important or couldn't help you in the future. The academy is going to give you the bare minium you need to stay out of trouble in the street. But I'm sure the instructors are going to tell all of us at the end we now know just enough to get ourselves killed! All the hazing and riding you thats going to happen in the firehouse is just a right of passage and a way of teaching you the way of life in the fire house. No one on the job is going to allow you to hurt yourself or others if they can do anything to avoid it. You will slowly earn respect and slowly be accepted by the others... It just takes time. Keep your mouth shut, eyes and ears open. Learn everything you possiably can, and this should be the best job in the world!!

Forum Member

Amen slim thank you. you are right on the money

Forum Member

Well said Slim. I wish SSIrish was still a contributing member of this forum. He would surely put us all in our place, I mean, after all he has been to hell and back twice already.

I think I actually saw him at the Super Bowl last week sitting next to George Bush. W definitely gave him accolades after the game.

MembersZone Subscriber

ILFFPM, hey man change your profile so you can get PM's

Forum Member

Well, whatever.... What anyone else thinks I don't really know or care. I am nervous and will freely admit that. Though not because I think I will fail or that I can not do it because I know I can. I am nervous because anything can happen under "Murphy's Law". Mostly because I'm putting most of my eggs in this basket, its a huge change, its something I really want to do and have since i was a little kid and hanging out with my Uncle. Also, with being a carpenter and jack of all trades in some respects I have been EXTRA careful at work. Especially since I do glass and some of the glass replacement has huge pieces that can decapitate a limb. Hell, the fear of injury got to me so bad that since this started getting closer that I have pretty much stopped playing hockey at rinks. When I do, I don't play nearly as hard as I used too and I back off a lot. I am so careful I have only played pond hockey like 2 times this year. So whatever. I'm nervous as hell. More excited and anxious but know that i can do this with all my heart.

Forum Member

Saying you are not nervous means 1 of 2 things. That 1 you don't really care about the "job" or "2" that you have a mental problem.

Forum Member

Default Not to beat a dead horse

Did anyone here take the Military Make-Up exam earlier this year? (June,2010) If so, please PM.. thanks !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hudson199 View Post
    Did anyone here take the Military Make-Up exam earlier this year? (June,2010) If so, please PM.. thanks !
    Good luck! and THANK YOU for serving the greatest country on this earth. If you look into the old post, I know I know lots of reading, You can guesstimate where you are on this list and when/if you will be callled.

Forum Member

Hey i was talking to a cfd medic who is hoping to crossover and he heard a couple things one that there may be 50 crossovers in the new class which seems like a lot... Second that one of his buddies is in the current medic class and he thought or heard there was two days of 90 some peoplereporting for further processing now i find that hard to believe. Since the numbers don't really add up and no one on this board went on any other day then the third for the first part of the processing. And we are a diverse group numbers wise and veterans. What are your guys thoughts? Maybe the guy was thinking the two.days of the fifty or so for prints.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Hey i was talking to a cfd medic who is hoping to crossover and he heard a couple things one that there may be 50 crossovers in the new class which seems like a lot... Second that one of his buddies is in the current medic class and he thought or heard there was two days of 90 some peoplereporting for further processing now i find that hard to believe. Since the numbers don't really add up and no one on this board went on any other day then the third for the first part of the processing. And we are a diverse group numbers wise and veterans. What are your guys thoughts? Maybe the guy was thinking the two.days of the fifty or so for prints.
    I don't think there are that many people waiting for FP. I think everyone who was there on that thursday morning are all they have processed to that point. I think were going to hear something by weeks end! We've all waited are turn and now its our time.

Forum Member

Default Firehouse Assignment ?

I would gladly accept placement in any firehouse in this city of course, but I was just curious about how they choose where to put U. Are u just Assigned at random to the next house that needs someone ? or do they at least try to keep the South Siders on the south side and the North siders up North ? also if they do assign u somewhere far from your house, how hard is it to try to transfer to a firehouse closer to your home ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slimd125 View Post
    I don't think there are that many people waiting for FP. I think everyone who was there on that thursday morning are all they have processed to that point. I think were going to hear something by weeks end! We've all waited are turn and now its our time.
    Everybody that reported for processing on Tue/Wed, plus 20% crossovers from the class thats there now...

Thread Information