Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 338 of 554 FirstFirst ... 238288328335336337338339340341348388438 ... LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,760 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

And nothing today guys. I just stopped in at home and no letter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seditiondp View Post
    And nothing today guys. I just stopped in at home and no letter.
    g-dammit c$ck f*ckin b$tch ***** m#therf@ckin sh^t

Forum Member

Not sure about you guys but I don't want downtown... sounds boring.
    They get alot of medical calls vs fire calls. It's in a nice location I wouldn't mind working there. I would imagine the most fit guys would go there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    g-dammit c$ck f*ckin b$tch ***** m#therf@ckin sh^t
    My sentiments exactly. Only throw a few more "f*ck"s in there. Has anyone heard any rumors of this being pushed back again...for a month, for a few months, for a year...?

Forum Member

Default Downtown

Downtown is a different kind of place. First, there is not a whole lot of fire, but there are plenty of fire alarms, so alot of those companies are running all day. And of course, you have a lot of high rise, so get used to the stairs. The thing to remember about fires downtown is this: there isn't a whole lot of fire, but when there is, it tends to be BAD. Lasalle Bank, The County Building, and just last year on Chestnut Street. All no joke fires that put the boys of the 1st District to the test. Also you have everything down there...high rise, low rise, apartments, theaters, warehouses, business, LSD, the highways, the lake, the rivers...so you will get exposed to a variety of situations and learn the ways to deal with them, which will only make you a better fireman. And yes, due to the high amount of people in the downtown area, you will get alot of EMS runs.

Being so prominently in the public eye can give rise to a lot of petty BS, but I know alot of guys who love working down there. Good houses, good equipment, lots of tourists stopping by to say hi. Yes, all eyes are on you cause let's face it, you are protecting the tourists we so depserately want to keep coming back. Also, since the downtown are is most likely where real bad things are bound to happen, those guys have the opportunities for all kinds of speicial training compliments of the Fire Department. I guess the last thought I would leave you with is that the last three Fire Commissioners (including Commissioner Hoff) were the District Chief down there at some point in their career. Should give you an idea of what importance the city places on the protection of the downtown area.

Forum Member

Again, as much as I love downtown and all, its not for me. I know it is higher profile and I know they are busy so I didn't mean "boring". I just meant it is not for me. Not that I really care because this job and department I would take whatever is thrown at me. I was just making an offhand statement that should have no impact on anything.

Forum Member

at this point i dont think it matters where to be placed its more of lets get in first. then worry about where after.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmith28 View Post
    at this point i dont think it matters where to be placed its more of lets get in first. then worry about where after.
    I completely agree. Get me in a class already. I will work my *** off while there and then put me where you need me.

Going off of the 3 openings in District 1. Does anyone on the job have any idea as to the amount of openings out there in general? Just trying to get an idea of the current state, which would give a good indication if this academy is a must and maybe the future as well for the many of us waiting on this forum.

Someone also mentioned that the top 3 of the academy choose their house. Are there other benefits for being in the tops of the class besides placement?

Forum Member

Default Top 3 and other myths...

Who were the top 3 in my class? I couldn't tell you. There is no way of judging. There is an award given out to the guy who has the highest EMT test average, the highest Fire test average, the best PT , and the Leadership Award that is voted on by the class. Of the four guys who won those awards in my class, 1 got a "good" spot. The guys who got "really good" spots had dads on the job, or "knew a guy". And quite frankly I have no problem with that. If I've given twenty years or more to the Department the least I could expect would be to help my kid out in regards to assignment.

As for the myth of "good" companies. When we say good, what we really mean is busy. And truth be told there aren't a whole lot of real busy fire companies anymore. And if you don't get one out of the Academy it is a long time coming before you get any chance of getting assigned to one. But I am here to tell you, you do not have to be a busy company to be a good, or real good company. It all depends on your officer, the guys, and you. You can be a slower house full of guys who love to train, love to talk about the job, constantly looking to improve, so when the time comes to go to work, you are ready to go. And there are plenty of places like that. There are a ton of officers and men out there relieving right now, and assigned to slower spots who are awesome firemen. Use those guys to your advantage. Pick their brains, ask about their careers. If there is something you want to learn or train on, ASK! They will tell you. And if you get stuck at a house full of loads, well, don't let them get you down or get drawn into their misery, and get out the first chance you can. \

MembersZone Subscriber

anything today...........?

Forum Member

Nope Nothing again, at least for me i live in il

Forum Member

damn sure hoping for some letters to get out..

Forum Member

who knows there number on here?

Forum Member

Well unfortunately it is looking like next week for letters? any thing beyond that and april first is not looking feasible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Well unfortunately it is looking like next week for letters? any thing beyond that and april first is not looking feasible.
    I agree man. I just don't understand why they would do all of this reprocessing and in a hurry no less without plans of a class very soon. I wonder if they FD planned/wanted a class and when they took it to the city for approval they denied/postponed it? Who knows, but I sure hope something happens soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slimd125 View Post
    I agree man. I just don't understand why they would do all of this reprocessing and in a hurry no less without plans of a class very soon. I wonder if they FD planned/wanted a class and when they took it to the city for approval they denied/postponed it? Who knows, but I sure hope something happens soon.
    April 1st is still happening.

MembersZone Subscriber

April 1st is still happening.
    How do you know that? Do you have solid info or is that wishful thinking? I don't think they even know whats going on down there. Anyways I hope your right. Cause if not, I'm going to have an apt full of boxes with no where to GO!!

Forum Member

How do you know that? Do you have solid info or is that wishful thinking? I don't think they even know whats going on down there. Anyways I hope your right. Cause if not, I'm going to have an apt full of boxes with no where to GO!!
    You already moved in Slim?
    All these folks that keep saying April 1 for sure, don't know for sure.
    Don't get me wrong, I hope hope hope it is still true, but how many times have we gone through this already? Feelling like de ja vu all over again.

Forum Member

Yep It is like deja vu our posts last year this same time spoke of green lighted academy dates and sure things from reliable sources blah blah who know I'll do what we do best wait and speculate. Lol

Forum Member

First off, nobody knew April 1 was a sure thing. Second off, nobody knows that April 1 is not happening, so why speculate on anything.

I'm as excited/anxious as the next guy, but you all really need to chill.

Thread Information