Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Just got done with CPAT. Nice IN and Out operation there at SUFD. It's tough but 10:20 should be enough time if you don't get DQ'd. Watch the video before you go too

Forum Member

Just failed by 20 seconds. I was on my 3rd set of the ceiling part. ****!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JR1980 View Post
    Just got done with CPAT. Nice IN and Out operation there at SUFD. It's tough but 10:20 should be enough time if you don't get DQ'd. Watch the video before you go too
    I was there with you guys, ride back to the city sucked, f'n traffic! I passed this morning.

Forum Member

Shadez. Man that sucks.. when you retaking?? was in and out got there earlier and passed plenty of time to spare....

JMH
    Forum Member

Shadez, sorry to hear that, but now you at least know what you need to work on. Plenty of more opportunities, you will get it.

Was there a good amount of guys taking it for Chicago today?
    Last edited by JMH; 05-22-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Forum Member

Yea I struggled with the dummy. I was in my 3rd set of the ceiling breach when the instructor yelled...time!!! I was ****ed!!!

Forum Member

Out of the 10 guys I saw take it they were all doing it for chicago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Yea I struggled with the dummy. I was in my 3rd set of the ceiling breach when the instructor yelled...time!!! I was ****ed!!!
    Shadez - sorry to hear man. Atleast this run was like practice though - hit the gym and use two 80 or 90lb dumbells in each hand and walk back and forth - you'll get it next time!!

Did the proctors guide you along the way or was it merely they kept quiet and watched you perform?

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Forum Member

I wonder if these "interviews" are individuals that failed the pee test and they are given an opportunity to plead their case/explain? I thought i read or heard somewhere that if you failed, you are given the opportunity to explain.

Just a shot in the dark though. I could be way off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    Did the proctors guide you along the way or was it merely they kept quiet and watched you perform?
    They guide you along. I was scheduled for 8:45, showed up about 8:10 and hopped in front of some other people waiting and was out of there by 8:40. Just an FYI for anyone that schedules, they don't really adhere to their appointments.

Forum Member

Forgot to include in my post above.....anyone else going down on their own to drop off packet, cpat card, etc?

I was planning on holding everything until getting my orders to report back to turn it all in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    I wonder if these "interviews" are individuals that failed the pee test and they are given an opportunity to plead their case/explain? I thought i read or heard somewhere that if you failed, you are given the opportunity to explain.

Just a shot in the dark though. I could be way off.
    I think that's a good shot, not sure if 2ndgen is trying to speculate that it's a job interview for FF, but if he talked with these guys and they didn't even get background done, pretty sure they're not interviewing for the job.

I was honestly surprised at how much the "search event" aka tunnel crawl took out of me. I'm not saying it was brutal or anything, but I'm a pretty big guy and crawling through it, I was just thinking, this f'n sucks!

My time was 8:40, so finished with a good amount of time to spare, but I was definitely feeling the effects of the CPAT and I run 5+ miles 4-5 times per week. So as 2ndgen said, hit the gym, don't just pay $150 to show up. If you guys are going the CFD route, you have 8 weeks of orientation, practice and such, so that gives you a little more prep time, just don't pay $150 for a one time challenge ill prepared.

Forum Member

Sorry to hear that Shadez.

Forum Member

Yea, I now know where I can pick up some additional time. My breathing was all off at the dummy station and I completely stopped for a few seconds just to catch my breathe. Whatever you guys do don't stop no matter how freaken tired you are. Push through it you'll thank yourself later.

I was surprised how easy the ceiling breach part was. The lifting panel felt lime it had a 2lb weight on it and the pull down you use your entire body. I know I made up some time there. Just not enough. I'm gonna kick the dummy the next time I see him. Bastard!!! Lol

I agree with you guys. I know what to expect next time. I may have not even been 20 seconds short. The instructor said I probably needed 20 more seconds and if I train a little harder I'll cut a minute off my time next time. I was ok with missing it by 20 seconds. I knew I wasn't I. The best shape but I also know I wasn't in horrible shape.

Forum Member

Yeah I didn't what to rub it in, but my buddy was there today. Hes not in shape, hasn't trained, and passed it. So that made me sign up for next week.

Forum Member

How many would you say passed out of who you saw take it today? I'm not really hoping for people to fail, but I would be surprised if ALL of those who came to orientaion end up getting through it.

Forum Member

I would say from the group of guys there when I was there about 8:30 probably 6 or 7 out of the 10 passed. One guy made it only half way, another failed like myself towards the end and I'm not sure about the guys after me.

Forum Member

I would say from the group of guys there when I was there about 8:30 probably 6 or 7 out of the 10 passed. One guy made it only half way, another failed like myself towards the end and I'm not sure about the guys after me.
    Personally I didn't see any failures, but the guy just ahead of me got done with the stair stepper and seemed exhausted from it and then I saw him coming back and leaving what seemed like a minute later, so I have to assume he failed. It seems like me, Shadez, and Smith were all there at pretty much the same time, who were you guys? I was the only guy that brought two pairs of shoes and changed my shoes at the start if any of you guys noticed...that was me.

Forum Member

I also had two pair of shoes. You and smith were probably getting set to do your thing right when I arrived because I placed my shoes against the wall and remember seeing another pair there. I was one of if not the smallest guy there when I got there. The test of the guys seemed to be over 6 foot or around my height and heavy set. I had on black wind breaker pants with a grey Nike shirt with just the swoosh logo.

Forum Member

I also had two pair of shoes. You and smith were probably getting set to do your thing right when I arrived because I placed my shoes against the wall and remember seeing another pair there. I was one of if not the smallest guy there when I got there. The test of the guys seemed to be over 6 foot or around my height and heavy set. I had on black wind breaker pants with a grey Nike shirt with just the swoosh logo.
    Yea, i'm like 6'4, I think that's why the darn tunnel crawl was so miserable for me. I may have been testing once you arrived and after I finished the test, I got my pass card and left, so I didn't really notice anyone after that as I was just happy to be drinking my water. I was wearing black sweat pants and a grey long sleeve nike dry-fit.

After taking it though, a female has to be in some great shape to pass that thing. I'm 6'4, 220 lbs, so obviously the 75 lbs on me is not as crazy as it would be on a women. For the dummy drag, that thing is going to weigh more than most women and then I was thinking about the "breach" I would imagine a girl maybe having to hit that thing 15-20 times, so even if they can complete it all, time is then a factor.
    Last edited by Dalsh321; 05-23-2013 at 12:21 PM.

JMH
    Forum Member

I'm on the same page as you. A girl is going to have to be in great shape to beat this. Guys are naturally stronger so they have an advantage with these strength tests, but dragging that body and hitting the sledge hammer is tougher then you think. I'm pretty big guy and I was surprise how hard the sledge hammer thing was. I thought I was just going to crush it and that was def not the case. Your not used to swinging something like that so its difficult.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I'm on the same page as you. A girl is going to have to be in great shape to beat this. Guys are naturally stronger so they have an advantage with these strength tests, but dragging that body and hitting the sledge hammer is tougher then you think. I'm pretty big guy and I was surprise how hard the sledge hammer thing was. I thought I was just going to crush it and that was def not the case. Your not used to swinging something like that so its difficult.
    Exactly, I thought it was going to be like 3 hits and done, but was probably more like 7 or 8, no real clue. Obviously no knock on women, it's just life that they aren't as big and strong as men on average and it makes sense why the woman pass rate is typically under 50%. I have always thought CFD should give this test though, not just because it's the national standard and thus is better protected, but also bc it is tougher to weed those out and lastly it's more consistent with job skill req's.

Forum Member

I wore charcoal sweats and read Nike shirt..

Forum Member

Took the cpat around 815 am

Thread Information