Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Monday is the day I report back. I have almost finished the questionairre but I have a few questions maybe a few of you guys can help me with.

1) Should I put down a speeding ticket as pleading guilty to a crime? The reason I ask is I I thought Ms. Hammond said put down tickets if you paid a fine. I am not 100% sure.

2) As far as emplyment goes. One place I worked is no longer in business so it will be hard to get that info other than the basics and Another job I had was when I was 18 and do not remember my old boss or any co-workers. I am 34 by the way. Does it need to be that detailed or the best of my ability to remember?

Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Monday is the day I report back. I have almost finished the questionairre but I have a few questions maybe a few of you guys can help me with.

1) Should I put down a speeding ticket as pleading guilty to a crime? The reason I ask is I I thought Ms. Hammond said put down tickets if you paid a fine. I am not 100% sure.

2) As far as emplyment goes. One place I worked is no longer in business so it will be hard to get that info other than the basics and Another job I had was when I was 18 and do not remember my old boss or any co-workers. I am 34 by the way. Does it need to be that detailed or the best of my ability to remember?

Thanks in advance
    I wouldn't put down the ticket. I think they are looking for more serious infractions.

As far as prior work and contacts, we were told fill it out the best you can.....I'm 31 and really had to dig into memory and to be honest, i couldn't remember some coworkers or bosses names....

Forum Member

I was unable to take my cpat here in Indianapolis. I had to come back to Chicago to take it so be sure that the fire district in your home state will allow you to..

Forum Member

Same here. I couldn't remember bosses names or landlords for that matter for some places I lived.

Forum Member

Thanks in advance
    I actually did put yes on that question regarding being convicted and then in the explanation area at the bottom of the section, I simply put that I had been convicted of speeding in traffic court. Another question asks about being expelled, suspended, or placed on probation at any school and I also put yes to that, b/c in my HS if you were tardy to class 3 times in a semester you received a suspension and that happened to me once. I'm sure they are looking for more serious offenses, but I figured I would give more information than too little, I have nothing too hide.

As for the work contacts. I worked a different job every summer I was in college, sometimes multiple jobs in a summer, so I also had no idea as to every supervisor/co-worker I ever had, so I just did the best I could, that's all you can do and they're not going to DQ you for being honest to the best of your ability.

My day of processing, I think out of the 130 people, 5 already had CPAT cards, so we'll see how that changes this time around.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    I actually did put yes on that question regarding being convicted and then in the explanation area at the bottom of the section, I simply put that I had been convicted of speeding in traffic court. Another question asks about being expelled, suspended, or placed on probation at any school and I also put yes to that, b/c in my HS if you were tardy to class 3 times in a semester you received a suspension and that happened to me once. I'm sure they are looking for more serious offenses, but I figured I would give more information than too little, I have nothing too hide.

As for the work contacts. I worked a different job every summer I was in college, sometimes multiple jobs in a summer, so I also had no idea as to every supervisor/co-worker I ever had, so I just did the best I could, that's all you can do and they're not going to DQ you for being honest to the best of your ability.

My day of processing, I think out of the 130 people, 5 already had CPAT cards, so we'll see how that changes this time around.
    Do suspensions show up in your high school transcripts? I was suspended for (ironically) pulling the fire alarm, but it was an accident. It was a one day suspension, but didn't include it in first draft of questionnaire, thinking its wasn't a big deal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    I have a feeling us firehous'ers represent a small portion of the candidates for CFD - good to see us select few are on the ball with getting CPAT done etc.

At preliminary processing, Ms. Hammond asked if there was anyone in the room that already had a CPAT card and ONE guy raised his hand. This was in the room following the **** test.
    Jet there are some people that just view this thread, but don't post. I spoke to a couple guys at orientation that did. So I imagine there are many more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Do suspensions show up in your high school transcripts? I was suspended for (ironically) pulling the fire alarm, but it was an accident. It was a one day suspension, but didn't include it in first draft of questionnaire, thinking its wasn't a big deal.
    No clue if that shows up, like I said though, nothing to hide, they're not going to DQ me for being late class in HS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by allroad View Post
    last time i went i saw guys had a green sheet and i think a yellow or orange sheet, i was looking at
    my green sheet and it said #c8802-0001 i fall in that range of #1000-2088,
    who had a yellow or orange sheet, can you post what kind of number range it had
    might not be mean anything just wondering.
    Couldn't that have meant a social security number with an ending between 0001 and 8802?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NEC1234 View Post
    Couldn't that have meant a social security number with an ending between 0001 and 8802?
    Those numbers were the test number way back in 2006. They number the test and that is what it was on the letter we received with our randomly assigned number out of 17,000. Nothing to do with our SSN's. hope this helps.
    allroad likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by airforcefiredawg View Post
    Those numbers were the test number way back in 2006. They number the test and that is what it was on the letter we received with our randomly assigned number out of 17,000. Nothing to do with our SSN's. hope this helps.
    Yes, good call. Googled that number and the first thing that comes up is the 2006 exam announcement: http://www.publicsafetyrecruitment.c...terEMTexam.PDF

Forum Member

I have a feeling us firehous'ers represent a small portion of the candidates for CFD
    I'm really surprised that out of all those candidates, very few come in here and post. It seems all the responses in this forum are between the same 10 people. I'm assuming a fairly large amount of candidates just come in here and read.

Forum Member

Well boys and girls, off for one final landing checklist to make sure everything is in order for tomorrow.

Forum Member

Just great.....just realized my landlord gave me a copy of my current lease renewal....not actual lease. Gotta tear the house apart now.....ARGH

Forum Member

Done my CPAT yesterday and it was rough. If you have not practiced w/ a 75# vest then you can train on the stair climber til the comes home, you still wont be ready. Done mine at 5pm and I was #26 out of 27.
    Im still sore today. Saw a couple guys nearly fall off the stair climber. I passed, it was rough. Someone said to just muscle through, and that is the best advice, dont stop. Catch your breath when you are walking to each course. Done a 10:02, so I still had some time left. My biggest mistake was thinking that they will tell you when to start each course, they dont. You just begin when you get there. Also grab the dummy under the arms, I was in such a rush that i grabbed him by the straps and that was heavier. Should just take a second and grab him under the arms, it would have been easier. When i was leaving, it seemed like they had an orientation class going on. It was like a motley crew. There were some females in the group, and I honestly done know how they will pass
    the CPAT. IF the average female weighs 140#, how is she going to carry half her weight, IDK, but i wish them good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks for the recap Bago, congrats, and I agree about the women. If they pass, no doubt, I will be confident that they are in great shape. I was thinking about how the women suing and getting this CPAT in place will no doubt make the CPAT a CFD requirement forever. Not that it wouldn't have been anyway and not that it shouldn't be, but potentially the women suing though sucks for us in the pipeline has probably made things better for the future of the CFD and ultimately made the future tougher on women, so with that being said, I don't want women to fail, but want qualified FF, so with that, just giving a positive spin to all this, b/c can't change it, no reason to dwell on it, lets get this!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Thanks for the recap Bago, congrats, and I agree about the women. If they pass, no doubt, I will be confident that they are in great shape. I was thinking about how the women suing and getting this CPAT in place will no doubt make the CPAT a CFD requirement forever. Not that it wouldn't have been anyway and not that it shouldn't be, but potentially the women suing though sucks for us in the pipeline has probably made things better for the future of the CFD and ultimately made the future tougher on women, so with that being said, I don't want women to fail, but want qualified FF, so with that, just giving a positive spin to all this, b/c can't change it, no reason to dwell on it, lets get this!
    Well said about the future women classes. The lawsuit females have really done a number on future female cfd hopefuls, albeit a fair and deserving one. Also, has anyone gotten back from processing today? What's the scoop?

Forum Member

Were you guys able to get all of your previous landlord's numbers, addresses, etc. This has been the biggest challenge for me on this packet. Luckily I have 4 days left

Forum Member

Processing done for today.....next step please!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoblaze View Post
    Were you guys able to get all of your previous landlord's numbers, addresses, etc. This has been the biggest challenge for me on this packet. Luckily I have 4 days left
    My biggest issue was knowing all my past supervisor and co-workers names, numbers, etc, but I just left some blank, no way I can find out some phone numbers of coworkers from 10 years ago.

Forum Member

Processing done for today.....next step please!
    Any indication on next step or if we are moving in any particular order?

Forum Member

Lajdflajdf;lajdf;lajdsf;ladfskj
    Last edited by chigo23; 07-09-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Forum Member

Any indication on next step or if we are moving in any particular order?

I have a feeling/hunch the order is in how you were called for preliminary - saw almost all the same faces today at preliminary processing day one. Think it has to do with ss#.

Alot of things to do - ****, hair, photographed, fingerprinted, turned in background info, signing up for cpat.

Hold on to your hats....think this is going to move quick - oct/nov first academy.

Forum Member

kjhskjahsfkhsflkahsflkjahsfkl

I have a feeling/hunch the order is in how you were called for preliminary - saw almost all the same faces today at preliminary processing day one. Think it has to do with ss#.

Alot of things to do - ****, hair, photographed, fingerprinted, turned in background info, signing up for cpat.

Hold on to your hats....think this is going to move quick - oct/nov first academy.
    Last edited by chigo23; 06-13-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Forum Member

Well they are going to have to get hair from my armpits. Lol. I am bald as a cucumber.

I heard from my buddy who was there that we are down to 750 out of 1400 already.

Thread Information