Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    I'm not so sure they actually test every **** we give them or hair for that matter. That's a lot of $$$$ to be dishing out. A bunch of us were a bit confused as to why they made us do both this time around.
    Of course they will test every sample we give.....every time.

A couple of guys in my group were wondering as well. My personal opinion....who cares! Just do what they ask.

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure they test it all, but as for why both my only thoughts are that, Urine is short term and hair is long term. I know urine will show what you took right away up until 2 weeks out max where hair won't show what you took most recently, but has a longer span, though I wasn't sure what that was, but apparently 90 days. I also think urine shows the presence of more substances including alcohol.

Forum Member

Depending on the type of testing they do with the hair it can trace as far back as 6 months.

Forum Member

Monday. I was in the peach/pink group we did hair test first. If it was you you were in conversation with Instructor Wood.
    I was in that group monday as well. I was the bald dude standing in the back waiting for the hair test because there were no more desks available.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    I was in that group monday as well. I was the bald dude standing in the back waiting for the hair test because there were no more desks available.
    Hey Teddy if that was you standing on the side of the room at first before going to the back of the rolm I know exactly who you are. I'll say something next time around.

Forum Member

Hey Teddy if that was you standing on the side of the room at first before going to the back of the rolm I know exactly who you are. I'll say something next time around.
    Yup. That was me. Lol. I think next time we go down will be for medical. Not sure where they do that.

Forum Member

Yup. That was me. Lol. I think next time we go down will be for medical. Not sure where they do that.
    True, well next time i see ya I'll definitely say whats up.

Forum Member

We all bear witness to the beginnings of a beautiful bromance.......

Just kidding guys.....just cant pass up the opportunity to a good ball busting

Forum Member

True, well next time i see ya I'll definitely say whats up.
    Sounds good.
    What day do you start cpat? You are going to be our play by play guy. Even though you will pass on your first attempt. Let us know how the others do. Not wishing bad luck to anyone just seeing how many people actually are taking this serious. I know a few of us talked to people who had no idea what to expect or what cpat even is.

Forum Member

Sounds good.
    What day do you start cpat? You are going to be our play by play guy. Even though you will pass on your first attempt. Let us know how the others do. Not wishing bad luck to anyone just seeing how many people actually are taking this serious. I know a few of us talked to people who had no idea what to expect or what cpat even is.
    No doubt, I talked to one guy that thought the CPAT was what we already did with CFD and he just had to do that again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    We all bear witness to the beginnings of a beautiful bromance.......

Just kidding guys.....just cant pass up the opportunity to a good ball busting
    LOL.
    A true Hallmark moment!

JMH
    Forum Member

today there def was some interesting people. Very few people had still taken their CPAT.

For those who have taken it, it looks like they will have a step ahead. Ms. Hammond said there is about 100 people who have already passed and those people will be directed right to the background investigation and said these people are now front of the pack.

Few more guys got sent home today because too old. One guys bday was nov 13th and they said first class will start nov 16th and sent him home..I'd flip.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Few more guys got sent home today because too old. One guys bday was nov 13th and they said first class will start nov 16th and sent him home..I'd flip.
    Wow, yea, that's a kick in the nuts!

Forum Member

Gotta go Tuesday 4:30pm-7:30pm for CPAT orientation. Still not quite sure exactly what that consists of.

Forum Member

There was a guy in my group on Monday that went through all 4 steps and right as we were lining up to sign out they pulled a guy from the room and he went into the room where we took photos and finger prints with the commissioner. Before walking in I heard her ask him if he was 38. Not sure what else went on but I think he got sent home right before signing out. He wasn't in our line but walked up front with the commish so I couldn't see what happened up front but she walked him past everyone else. I can't imagine they allowed him to stay on and sign out ahead of everyone else that was in line.

JMH
    Forum Member

Shadez..I'm pretty sure the orientation is a walk through of the test. They will walk you through each stage step by step and show you exactly how each stage is supposed to be completed. You will then schedule practice runs after that on separate days. I believe its like an 8 week process

Forum Member

That's what I figured. The 3 hour time frame threw me off I guess. Must be a bunch of people going at the same time.

Forum Member

I know it is a few days late, but I just talked to my buddy, and we will start off at FF1 pay...per the new contract we will not receive FF1B (FF/EMT) pay until our 30 month pay step. He said we will still be used on the BLS ambos and as EMT on the rigs, but will not receive the EMT pay until 30 month step....according to contract right now. Also, my buddy said that downtown (dist 1) is working 1 daley day a month right now, and the airports (dist 3) are able to work every daley day if they want...but most other districts are working 1 daley out of every 6 or 7....the only ones getting more are the officers.

Forum Member

Thanks Goldie, thought I recalled hearing something about no more EMT pay after academy previously, so thanks for the confirmation. So looks like the first raise will come at 12 months and not 6 months as was previously the case.

Forum Member

Is there ever going to be a new CBA? Just kind of crazy when you think about them looking to hire 300 people with a CBA a year expired and if the city got what they want in a new CBA, they would cut like 550 FF.

Forum Member

Dalsh321

Don't forget that they are at least 500+ short right now, and with future attrition rates that number will rise. It's doubtful 300 rookies will be cut. IMO if a cut takes place, they'll just stop hiring and leave things as they are. That might explain why they only want 300 even though they are much shorter than that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    Dalsh321

Don't forget that they are at least 500+ short right now, and with future attrition rates that number will rise. It's doubtful 300 rookies will be cut. IMO if a cut takes place, they'll just stop hiring and leave things as they are. That might explain why they only want 300 even though they are much shorter than that.
    Got it, makes sense. I knew they were well short, just didn't know the # honestly. I know plenty of OT going on out there, just didn't know what that amounted to in an actual # of guys. Definitely agree it makes more sense to hire "us" at 50k then continuing to pay tons of OT to the guys making 80-100k.

Forum Member

Is anything going on with the CBA though? It was big news when it was expiring last summer and then probably through the fall, but haven't heard much in 2013.
    Last edited by Dalsh321; 06-14-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Forum Member

Actually it has been pretty well stated in the paper over the past year that it is actually cheaper to pay overtime, than to hire new people. overtime is just that, extra money. But a new employee is a constant salary, benefits and pension. they say that you take a members salary and multiple by 2 and that is what it costs to hire a new employee. The truth is that they need to hire because they are short and the contract has minimal staffing in it. That is why they are in a rush to hire, that and because the mayor wants to drop manpower to 4 man companies, so the department wants to hire as many as possible before Jan 1 of 2014, when the contract on manpower is open for negotiation.

I have a copy of the union contract book in front of me, and it looks like we get a step raise at 12 months, than at 18, and than every year on that 18 month anniversary....minus the EMT paygrade for a few years.

Forum Member

The contract expired last June though, so why is it not open for negotiations until 1/1/14 and what does hiring a bunch of people before the negotiations do? Just trying to understand and you are correct on the raises, just didn't know if we got that EMT money after academy as used to be the case.

Attached is the pay schedule if anyone cares, page 6.
    Ranks are as follows:
    1. FF 2. Paramedic 3. Engineer or Instructor 4. Lieutenant 5. Captain 6. Bat Chief
    B = EMT P= Paramedic

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...y_Schedule.pdf

Thread Information