Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

No doubt Jetguy, everyone's lives have most certainly changed over the course of this long process, so it's definitely a lot to think about and a life changing commitment. This isn't just a matter of a new job, you're talking about a completely different lifestyle for most. Most on here probably aren't used to the schedule, most aren't used to going to a job where you are risking your life, many will be taking a paycut to start, many having to have to move to Chicago, which people with families could also mean private schools. Definitely no easy decisions and the more people impacted in your life, the more complicated it becomes.

In my opinion, it's important to keep options, so everyone should continue to process, while thinking about these sort of decisions and if the time comes that you are given an offer of employment, then you can decide if you wish to pursue that or if at that time in your life, it's no longer for you.

My buddy and I were both seniors in college when tested and he now has over 5 years on, so quite envious of him.....
    Last edited by Dalsh321; 07-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Forum Member

Can't disagree here. I'm pulling in six figures and just finished my degree. It looks like my back-up plan is taking care of me well. I'm not in it for the money though, so I will jump on CFD first call I get

Forum Member

No questions take CFD over any job. Been so close but yet so far already in this process.. just ready for a start date

Forum Member

Or you can sign up for CPD test coming in December.

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Forum Member

But why jump on battleship when you have boarding pass cruiseship?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Because unlike CFD, everyone on the list that's qualified gets their chance to be CPD. They exhaust their list.
    ffdino88 likes this.

Forum Member

Boarding pass? I think it's more standby and with standby, sometimes the ship fills.....

Forum Member

Has anyone tried to contact them for an updte?
    long, long, long time reader; first time poster

called last week and again on monday just to check on the status of everything and to make sure all of my paperwork was in order and there weren't any holdups on my end. got ms. hammond's voicemail last week and this week was told she was on vacation and would be back at some point this week and would return my call. perhaps they are waiting for some of the people doing the cpat through the city to catch up.

hopefully soon.

Forum Member

CFD v. CPD charity baseball game is this Friday, August 2, at U.S. Cellular Field. Lots open at 5, gates open at 6, event starts at 7. $10 tickets and free parking.

$5 in advance:
    http://cpdbaseball-es2.eventbrite.com/?rank=30
    Last edited by Dalsh321; 07-31-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Forum Member

I dont understand why they would be waiting on people passing the CPAT when they already had a nice size group of people who had already passed the cpat. In my class about 15 of us had already taken and passed the CPAT, so if you figure that number would be true then their should be 60 people already. Ms Hammond did say that the people who did take the CPAT already would be moved to the head of the line. I was hoping to have already gotten a phone call. Keep on playing the waiting game, i guess.

Forum Member

All of us who handed in cpat were expecting to hear back already..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmith28 View Post
    All of us who handed in cpat were expecting to hear back already..
    10-4 on this.

I handed in EVERYTHING including CPAT on the second time we got called back for processing on 6/7.
    Hopefully the calls start happening soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bagosoxgo View Post
    I dont understand why they would be waiting on people passing the CPAT when they already had a nice size group of people who had already passed the CPAT
    They have an agenda, and sadly it comes at the expense of the taxpayer and jeopardizes their safety as well. But, it's beyond my control and won't deter me from accepting the position.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenCFD View Post
    BODE has it correct. BI then Medical tests at facility downtown. I would say August is the BI and sept is medical. Letters should go out mid oct for FP for a Nov 15 academy start date.
    2ndGen posted this last month, so perhaps he was correct on the timeline. Afterall, it is August 1st, so don't go freaking out everyone. Perhaps calls start next week. The belief was that regardless, the earliest academy was going to be 11/15, so it is not as if they don't have time. IF none of us hear anything and it's mid September, then you can freak out.

Perhaps they were short on the # of CPAT passers though and they had to wait on some. No clue if this is true, but I believe that many of the city CPAT takers had their first run at it last weekend.

Forum Member

If you're white and have testicles, step to the back of the line. They have an agenda, and sadly it comes at the expense of the taxpayer and jeopardizes their safety as well. But, it's beyond my control and won't deter me from accepting the position

Well i'm not white but i do have testicles and i have not been pushed through. Made it all the way in 2009 and back here at it again.

Forum Member

I dont understand why they would be waiting on people passing the CPAT when they already had a nice size group of people who had already passed the cpat. In my class about 15 of us had already taken and passed the CPAT, so if you figure that number would be true then their should be 60 people already. Ms Hammond did say that the people who did take the CPAT already would be moved to the head of the line. I was hoping to have already gotten a phone call. Keep on playing the waiting game, i guess.
    things are still moving forward, albeit not as quickly as some of us would like.

Forum Member

I dont understand why they would be waiting on people passing the CPAT when they already had a nice size group of people who had already passed the cpat. In my class about 15 of us had already taken and passed the CPAT, so if you figure that number would be true then their should be 60 people already. Ms Hammond did say that the people who did take the CPAT already would be moved to the head of the line. I was hoping to have already gotten a phone call. Keep on playi the waiting game, i guess.
    it was just a guess.

could be things were pushed back because they needed the resources to process everyone who had to go in after the drug test and verify scripts. could be they pushed everything back until after august 1st. who knows.

what we do know is things are still moving along in the processing, just not as quickly or definitively as we'd like. i think that things will start falling into place soon.

Forum Member

We've been waiting 7 years, what's an extra month?

Forum Member

Damn, i have been sick and away for the last few weeks. It seems I missed a lot by not coming on to view. To go back a few pages to respond to BODE and such, I am happy you guys are okay with missing out if it comes to it, but my idiot self has pretty much put all of my eggs in this basket. To give a crappy reason as to why, I joined the Carpenter's Union in 2003-4. This market is just great for a carpenter if you couldn't tell, fyi. Now of course I, no longer in the union due to unforeseen reasons and being lied to about some major details that got me screwed over, but I digress. While still being a carpenter, and very little working out, I did pass the CPAT this past sunday on the 28th on the first run. Hell, I didn't even get a warning during the test. I am just shocked to have seen a guy that looks bigger and stronger give up during the dummy drag. Seriously, I weigh about 145lbs.

Now, I suppose the current hold up is due to the drug screen failures, such as mine, and those of us that needed to have the city pay for the CPAT. HOPEFULLY it is only you guys waiting on us and when we are all done with this BS we can move forward as a team. Good luck to all and hope to meet some of you long time posters face to face for once. (remember, I used to go as SeditionDP so I am not new to this forum by any account)
    Last edited by jdwaiting; 08-01-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: changed "group" to team. sounds better

Forum Member

more than i can afford as it hits fall/winter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    We've been waiting 7 years, what's an extra month?
    more than I can afford when this fall/winter comes. damn, sorry if this posted multiple times.

Forum Member

Any kind of schedule changes to this process is nerve wrecking due to what happened last time we went through the process

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmith28 View Post
    Any kind of schedule changes to this process is nerve wrecking due to what happened last time we went through the process
    Exactly that's why I'm just along for the ride and seeing what happens as far as the CFD is concerned. Not going to put my hope or faith in anything I have no control over. If they come calling, I will be there, but outside of that, everyday is just another day in the life.

Medical Marijuana just passed in IL, maybe you all just need to go get a script for anxiety.

Forum Member

Lmfao..that was awesome

Thread Information