Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 361 of 556 FirstFirst ... 261311351358359360361362363364371411461 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,220 of 11106
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckmonkey79 View Post
    Classy posts from a bunch of cry-babies. If you really want a career job apply everywhere and anywhere, CFD is not all that.
    Already three steps ahead of you pal
    Last edited by truckman111; 08-18-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckman111 View Post
    Already three steps ahead of you.... Truckmonkey huh? Must be one of the 111?

funny stuff

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckman111 View Post
    Already three steps ahead of you.... Truckmonkey huh? Must be one of the 111?
    Wouldn't worry about what this guy says Tman. He has posted in threads for two other cities, so he is just a wanna be that couldn't pass the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckmonkey79 View Post
    Classy posts from a bunch of cry-babies. If you really want a career job apply everywhere and anywhere, CFD is not all that.

What makes you think we haven't?
    Do you live in Chicago? This is about more than just us b1tching about getting pushed back or not making it on the job. It's about a bunch of apparent good for nothings that feel they need to do everything and anything to get a job, instead of actually putting forth a little effort to score well enough on a relatively simple written test to earn a job.
    Not sure how much of the lawsuit details you know, but what these so called "people" are getting is not right to the citizens of Chicago, of which I am one. Not to mention, the safety of my family.
    So, I'm am not just cying about having to wait longer, but also because my tax dollars are hard at work going into someones pocket that doesn't deserve it.
    Isn't it bad enough the politicians are taking my money and I'm getting nothing in return? But now a bunch of blacks, and next a bunch of women. When does it end?

so no disrespect... but you can f*ck right off with your comment
    Last edited by rockgod; 08-17-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Forum Member

I am sensing a little racism in this forum. Some of you would fit right in some of the CFD firehouses. There still are pockets of racism throughout the CFD. Guys are just better at concealing the behavior. Dont think all is well in the CFD when it comes to race relations. I guess things even out in the long run. Back in the day blacks and Latinos couldn't get on the job and if they did get on the job the guys gave them hell. Wouldn't let them eat in the kitchen, wouldn't teach them anything. I have heard the stories. Some minorities have less of a margin for error while a white kid may get multiple opportunities to prove himself. Don't get me wrong. I love my job and most of the guys on the job, but there are still some bad apples. It's funny at times when you hear guys talking about someone and they don't think anyone else is listening. this being said I still don't agree with the hiring of the 111. Everyone took the same test and that was the system in place in 1995. Although I don't think a test can determine how someone will perform this job, it does set a basic level of competency. I have seen guys who scored well on the test who still do stupid stuff at fires that can get someone killed. Some guys are scared to even go into a burning house. On the flip side. there are guys who are dumber than a box of rocks who kick a** at a fire. Some guys learn by reading others by doing. Everyone is different.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labowu View Post
    While a sliver of hope remains I think this news puts the nail in the coffin of my CFD dreams. I'll be 38 in March of 2013. It's quite sad
    I know the feeling brother. I'm in the 2010 PAT group and hit 38 in November of 2013. All I can say is good luck to you and everyone else. My anxiety levels about this process have dwindled down to nothing at this point. It's not the first time good, honest, hard-working guys have been burned by this minority crap.

Forum Member

How is this going to work?
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    And exactly how is this frivolous lawsuit victory supposed to kill racism in the CFD?

It actually breeds it
    so you want to justify racism

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Scrum;1289549]First of all I can tell how big of an idiot you are by wishing those mutts luck. Secondly, we have done everything the City has asked of us, and yes, we have been through the "ringer"...How? By how long it's taken for us through this whole fk'n ordeal, passed our tests, and waited and waited and waited....The fk'n Chief even apologized to us! For what? I don't know, maybe because he knows what we HAVE been through in this whole process...We should be in a firehouse now, but we're not even in the Academy! Tell me, if you were 37, and they put the mutts in and you lost your deserved place in Class, how would you feel?

Who in the "F" are you to call some else a mutt??? Who really do you think you are? You have family there, so you think you're better? I have been put through the ringer and have done all they city has wanted, I even moved into the city hoping this or next year would be the year. What exactly have you done? Pass a drug test, was it so hard to try to stay clean? Pay your tickets? I'm 34 now and I am hoping to get in, but it doesnt seem like it will be for more than a couple years, so I will be right near the cutoff. So I may lose my place but I'm not going to cry about it. The job was never guranteed to me so I'm really So when did the Chief apologized? I didnt get any apologies or heard about this.

I have been following this board since 2008 and Im surpised at some of the racist replies here from some of the people here posting who have been posting for a while, but I guess. And being tough in an online message board really is just for kids....

Forum Member

bagosoxgo has the right attitude. some of you other guys would be like cancer in a firehouse if you got on. tell me to f-off, don't really care. i'll keep applying and stay focused. i own property in the city and do have a vested interest, but spewing racism won't change a thing.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=bagosoxgo;1289696]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    First of all I can tell how big of an idiot you are by wishing those mutts luck. Secondly, we have done everything the City has asked of us, and yes, we have been through the "ringer"...How? By how long it's taken for us through this whole fk'n ordeal, passed our tests, and waited and waited and waited....The fk'n Chief even apologized to us! For what? I don't know, maybe because he knows what we HAVE been through in this whole process...We should be in a firehouse now, but we're not even in the Academy! Tell me, if you were 37, and they put the mutts in and you lost your deserved place in Class, how would you feel?

Who in the "F" are you to call some else a mutt??? Who really do you think you are? You have family there, so you think you're better? I have been put through the ringer and have done all they city has wanted, I even moved into the city hoping this or next year would be the year. What exactly have you done? Pass a drug test, was it so hard to try to stay clean? Pay your tickets? I'm 34 now and I am hoping to get in, but it doesnt seem like it will be for more than a couple years, so I will be right near the cutoff. So I may lose my place but I'm not going to cry about it. The job was never guranteed to me so I'm really So when did the Chief apologized? I didnt get any apologies or heard about this.

I have been following this board since 2008 and Im surpised at some of the racist replies here from some of the people here posting who have been posting for a while, but I guess. And being tough in an online message board really is just for kids....
    Hey mutt, I call it like it is...You're soft. You can be politically correct all you want. I'm not owed anything. But I AM owed more than those animals...Online tough guy I am not, I'm legitimate, unlike you and you're 111...And Truckmonkey that goes for you too...

Forum Member

Hey mutt, I call it like it is...You're soft. You can be politically correct all you want. I'm not owed anything. But I AM owed more than those animals...Online tough guy I am not, I'm legitimate, unlike you and you're 111...And Truckmonkey that goes for you too...[/QUOTE]

iF i'm a mutt , I guess your just a bitch... Soft huh, 4 yrs in the Navy and 13 yrs pipefitter, dont think I'm soft. Your legitimate??? WTF does that even mean? Just a bitch.

Forum Member

Listen I am not happy about the decision but hey what can you do. At least now this will be out of the way.
    I understand everyone is frustrated but no need for the name calling. These "mutts" and "animals" as they have been called are not the problem. The way the city chose to fight is the real problem.
    My guess is most of the 111 people getting called are gonna be rather surprised when they get the letter in the mail.
    I'm willing to bet that quite a few people on here would jump at the chance given the same oppurtunity. I'm not saying all but some. We can all talk about pride and all but a $50,000 job is hard to come by these days. Just saying.
    Again not happy and am not all that young. My chances are dwindling by the day.
    There is nothing we can do to change this. Lets move on,keep each other posted and hope for the best.

Forum Member

Well put, let it go guys. Direct your energy to the Mayor and other decision makers on this issue. There have always been favors and backroom deals in the hiring of firefighters nationwide. It should make you just as concerned when a Capt's son gets hired above other well qualified candidates also.

Forum Member

No. Absolutely not
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EB1980 View Post
    so you want to justify racism
    It's not justifying racism, but denying the end of it.
    If the blacks really wanted everything to be equal, they would have sued for ALL those that scored under 89 to be given the chance. Not just blacks. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure to be eligible for the class action suit you had to be a black applicant that scored 89 or lower but still with a passing score.
    Blacks are the second most populated race in the CFD. Why not give hispanics another shot to increase their numbers?
    My brother-in-law and several cousins and friends all missed out on their opportunity because of this lawsuit. Why should a black guy/gal get a second chance and not a mexican, puerto rican, white, etc...who scored under 89?
    Both sets of my Irish grandparents came right of the boat and were treated like drunkin pieces of **** and they seemed to do alright for themsleves without crying racism. As well as 5000 years worth of Jews.
    Blacks always scream race issues when something doesn't go their way, going back to slavery days (reperations), well guess who traded them as slaves to the whites back in Africa...other blacks.

Forum Member

Fellas come on we are getting on a slippery slope with this race stuff, whats done is done nothing we can do to change it nobody on here is happy about it and it may screw some people out of a job unfortunately. But as stated already we need to focus on upcoming political issues i.e. the budget, manning etc. we all in my opinion have a good shot depending on budgetary issues. Enough with the race stuff, this is a public forum and makes us look bad.

Forum Member

Wow, just wow. I'm a new member to this forum and just stumbled upon this particular thread and all I have to say is wow. I did a resident program and dealt with real racism (N word racism and noose jokes) an was eventually let go. I won't go to much into further detail, but to those saying there is not favoritism and every time a black person is wronged they go and cry racism is wrong. I dealt with it for over a year before I came forward because I just wanted to belong. The lawsuit may have been frivolous but I'm sure in a city with the size and history of Chicago, they tend to have a little extra baggage. Another member posted how his great grandparents came off the boat and were treated like dirt. I have news for you buddy, german prisoners of war were treated better than blacks and I'm sure all european immigrants were treated better than blacks or asian immigrants up until the early 70's. Some of you need to read up on your US history. Oh, and bagosoxgo, I'm sure you will make it onto a department real soon :sarcasm:.
    Last edited by Shaftster; 08-19-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Nevermind

Forum Member

Okay.. We all knew that this was going to happen so it's no suprise. This isn't the place to vent about this type of stuff. We all see what goes on in this city and around the country for that matter. It's no secret. Lets not let this fourm become a debate about it. Aside from it being a waste of time, nothing good can come of it. This is old business and has nothing to do with us other then the obvious. Let it die.

We can all use a vacation from worrying about gettting hired and this lawsuit. This isn't good for those who are fighting the age limit but if we feel so strong about it then we should try and help them. If we really wanted to we could fight for an age extention so those that are in the red zone can stay on the list. That would be the right thing to do. Might not work but would be a good and worthwhile fight. Aside from that take it easy on here men. Try and enjoy the rest of your summer.
    Last edited by blue2520; 08-18-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by E99L62 View Post
    I am sensing a little racism in this forum. Some of you would fit right in some of the CFD firehouses. There still are pockets of racism throughout the CFD. Guys are just better at concealing the behavior. Dont think all is well in the CFD when it comes to race relations. I guess things even out in the long run. Back in the day blacks and Latinos couldn't get on the job and if they did get on the job the guys gave them hell. Wouldn't let them eat in the kitchen, wouldn't teach them anything. I have heard the stories. Some minorities have less of a margin for error while a white kid may get multiple opportunities to prove himself. Don't get me wrong. I love my job and most of the guys on the job, but there are still some bad apples. It's funny at times when you hear guys talking about someone and they don't think anyone else is listening. this being said I still don't agree with the hiring of the 111. Everyone took the same test and that was the system in place in 1995. Although I don't think a test can determine how someone will perform this job, it does set a basic level of competency. I have seen guys who scored well on the test who still do stupid stuff at fires that can get someone killed. Some guys are scared to even go into a burning house. On the flip side. there are guys who are dumber than a box of rocks who kick a** at a fire. Some guys learn by reading others by doing. Everyone is different.

Well written man.... Looking at all this, ****ed off as we may be, let's looking on the positive side. They are out of the way and there isn't a damn thing we can do besides bitch about it and that isn't gunna get us anywhere but in trouble or a bad rap. Let's be the bigger people and have some pride in ourselves. I'm just as guilty as the next for spouting off at the mouth when I shouldn't. I guess this long wait will seem more worth it in the end, or atleast I hope so.

Thread Information