Like Tree289Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JR1980 View Post
    Well said BODE! I hate it when people, especially on this forum, talk about how the department owes us "nothing". No other department in this state would treat their "qualified applicants" this way. We are not owed a job, but when a process gets dragged on for years and years, we are owed some sort of an explanation. I have a folder next to me full of paperwork from years of processing that amounts to man hours, money spent, and most importantly an emotional toll. This is a dream job for some and to have it dangled in front of us like a carrot on a string is just disrespectful.
    I wish the citizens of this city were better informed as to all of the hiring practices of this dept. Whenever friends or family ask me about the process, they are always shocked at how secretive unorganized it is. After all, these are tax dollars being wasted in this process!
    My opinion is that we are not owed anything. We chose to apply (didnt know all the politics that went along) and for us that are going through with processing for the 2nd time we chose to go along with it. They are not holding this job for us, any of us can walk away from this if we want but we CHOOSE to stick around. All we did is pass a test and some us were lucky wherethat our SS # ended in 9. Does it suck that this process keeps on getting dragged out? Yes! Is my life on hold? Yes. Do I know where I am going to send my two kids to school this year? NO. I feel bad for the people who have houses in the burbs and have moved or dont know what to do. The way they made it seem in July, they were basically telling you to get a house/apr NOW. I wonder how many people actually did move. IDK, this is just my rant about people ranting, i guess. Its all about the process. If I really wanted to be a FF, I would have gone and got my EMT license and waited til the EMT class opens and apply with them and then cross-over.

And my two cents is calling MS HAmmond or emailing her every other day is a nice way of making sure your file gets placed at the bottom or lost.

Forum Member

^ you can call it what you want..after 7 years of literally being on-call, taking off work, passing everything they've thrown at me over and over again, to get passed over by a reject? I call it bs. We are owed the job. EVERY other class had a process to go through. And guess what, if your number was called, and you passed everything, you were hired. Period. Well I've passed everything twice so far, and paid my own way for CPAT. Why should it be any different. There's a hiring process I've abided by, i passed everything twice. HIRE ME.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bagosoxgo View Post
    My opinion is that we are not owed anything. We chose to apply (didnt know all the politics that went along) and for us that are going through with processing for the 2nd time we chose to go along with it. They are not holding this job for us, any of us can walk away from this if we want but we CHOOSE to stick around. All we did is pass a test and some us were lucky wherethat our SS # ended in 9. Does it suck that this process keeps on getting dragged out? Yes! Is my life on hold? Yes. Do I know where I am going to send my two kids to school this year? NO. I feel bad for the people who have houses in the burbs and have moved or dont know what to do. The way they made it seem in July, they were basically telling you to get a house/apr NOW. I wonder how many people actually did move. IDK, this is just my rant about people ranting, i guess. Its all about the process. If I really wanted to be a FF, I would have gone and got my EMT license and waited til the EMT class opens and apply with them and then cross-over.

And my two cents is calling MS HAmmond or emailing her every other day is a nice way of making sure your file gets placed at the bottom or lost.
    I agree with a lot of what you say. The thing that bothers me is being told getting or CPAT's on our own would somehow move us to the front of the line. This may prove to be true but hearing that they are waiting for CPATs to be completed leads me to think that is not the case. I wish I would have gone the city route. Now that I really think about it, having the city pay means they have that much more invested in individuals.

Forum Member

Teddy that's not true.. they have much more invested in reprocessing us then there cpat card.. just my opinion

Forum Member

Hopefully they don't get ****ed at the guy who they paid for to take the CPAT but never showed because he got it on his own a month before their CPAT dates in hopes of leapfrogging some folks by doing so.

IMO that was the risk they took by telling people the sooner they got it the better their chances were of moving forward.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Three day bachelor party? Sounds like a good time.
    You know it! If your fiancÚ doesn't approve of a 3 day bachelor party, get out!

Also, love the ranting about the rants....

What happened to the days when you just had to know someone to get on....bastards!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post

What happened to the days when you just had to know someone to get on....bastards!

Oh I'm sure there's a little of that still going on. Someone mentioned "clout babies" in an earlier post. Those guys who's socials were way off from the 8, 9 & 0's are probably those guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Hopefully they don't get ****ed at the guy who they paid for to take the CPAT but never showed because he got it on his own a month before their CPAT dates in hopes of leapfrogging some folks by doing so.

IMO that was the risk they took by telling people the sooner they got it the better their chances were of moving forward.
    Shadez. I believe they only pay if you completed the CPAT whether it be pass or fail.I remember someone asking a question like that. They only pay for completed. So if someone went to orientaion for the CPAT and stopped going after that, then the city didn't pay.
    I wonder how many people have passed so far or just dropped after the first attempt. I thought the testing times were during working hours so that could potentially be 3-4 days off of work. Some people may not be willing to do that. That factored in me taking it on my own. My job would become suspicious. Especially since my boss' brother is processing as well. He know the days lol. With my job laying off recently I would for sure be a goner.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODE View Post
    ^ you can call it what you want..after 7 years of literally being on-call, taking off work, passing everything they've thrown at me over and over again, to get passed over by a reject? I call it bs. We are owed the job. EVERY other class had a process to go through. And guess what, if your number was called, and you passed everything, you were hired. Period. Well I've passed everything twice so far, and paid my own way for CPAT. Why should it be any different. There's a hiring process I've abided by, i passed everything twice. HIRE ME.
    I dont think we have LITERALLY been waiting for 7 yrs for the job... We took the test in 2006 and then waited till 2009. 2 days of processing during the weekday and in the summer we went in on a saturday. after the summer of 2009, with all the concerns of the lawsuit class I forgot about the FD. IF they were to call, great, if not, oh well. I moved to the city 2 yrs ago. Just a couple of months ago we get called in, and what two more days of coming in. So you have literally taking just 4-5 days off in the last 7 yrs? maybe 10 days if you had to to BI and medical. I dont know if your job has personal/vacation days, but I was able to use mine and still get paid. We applied and now the second time around we KNOW what we are getting ourselves in but we have a gluttony for punishment that is why stick around. Still the job is not owed to us.

And you want to know what is going to suck, is the person who let the city pay for his CPAT, who passed on the third try, who this processing the first time most likely will get on before me. But what can I do? Sue, maybe?

But honestly I understand your frustrations. It really does suck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Shadez. I believe they only pay if you completed the CPAT whether it be pass or fail.I remember someone asking a question like that. They only pay for completed. So if someone went to orientaion for the CPAT and stopped going after that, then the city didn't pay.
    I wonder how many people have passed so far or just dropped after the first attempt. I thought the testing times were during working hours so that could potentially be 3-4 days off of work. Some people may not be willing to do that. That factored in me taking it on my own. My job would become suspicious. Especially since my boss' brother is processing as well. He know the days lol. With my job laying off recently I would for sure be a goner.

I asked the lady at orientation if the CFD would get charged if I didn't show up for the testing dates. She told me, yes they would be for showing up to the orientation. I'm sure they're only paying close to what we paid for the one time shot at it if not a little more. I can't imagine they'd charge a great deal more for guaranteed income. There's probably over 500 people going that route at $150-$300 a pop

Forum Member

The job is owed to the qualified people who passed everything the city has thrown at them. Period. Why have a hiring process then?

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 07:46 PM.

JMH
    Forum Member

2nd Gen...your guy tell you how many women actually are still left in the process?

Also, if they are swamped from 50 or so women, what the hell is gonna happen when they have to call contacts for 400 men.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    2nd Gen...your guy tell you how many women actually are still left in the process?

Also, if they are swamped from 50 or so women, what the hell is gonna happen when they have to call contacts for 400 men.
    My two cents and this is if we are indeed the first people processed is the city will start our investigations then move us towards the medical. Then as they filter some of us out they will move on and investigate others. That was the impression I got. I could be totally wrong but who really knows right now. All I know is I hope to be in a class.

Forum Member

will they proceed with a background if you don't live in Chicago? i assume part of the reason they do a home visit is to establish residency.

Forum Member

They check everything.. they didn't do a home visit last time. But they did call..

Forum Member

Got some info.....and not quite sure how to take this. My wife has a female friend that is with the "lawsuit ladies"

Failed first timed CPAT run, hasnt gone for second run through yet, but already had a home interview and advised she passed and cleared her BI.

Why would the city waste time and money on the BI if no proof of passing CPAT was provided??

Forum Member

Maybe if that's true, there doing the background on all the female applicants. And those that pass cpat will be in first academy. Those that don't will try for cpat for second class? Just a thought

Forum Member

Whats up guys, few things.

I one of the final processing puppets. I feel 100% we are owed a chance to complete the ACADEMY at this point. So far WE ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO HAVE PASSED EVERYTHING, all the other lawsuit groups have failed and been given better opportunities than us, how is that right?

Im thinking to myself, how is this whole thing going to end. We may get on and all will be well, but what im wondering how it will end if we don't! What will it be like when they say "ok guys that's it, we are starting a new test and the old one is finished" Or actually, they will probably just call us up once every few years for the rest of our lives for processing, lol

Also, Im right there with you guys when people ask about processing. I NEVER EVER bring it up, to anyone. If people ask, I say I don't know we'll find out one day. I get furious at my GF when she tells people I am processing, so many people automatically think Im on the job or something when they hear that. Real pain explaining this **** every damn day.

It is really becoming a pain in the *** taking off work and coming up with BS excuses. I am very closed to getting fired.

3 days before we received letters again this spring I was getting ready to move into a house in Niles. My GF is just about done dealing with everything that comes along with this! lol

Ok, random rant over...sorry, you guys are the only ones who understand.

Forum Member

I get asked all the time by people what happened with the firedepartment.. and have to answer it as we got delayed and are doing the process again.. Damn right I feel like I deserve a position

Forum Member

Told ya..they won't let them fail! All hush hush from the City while we're all here lookin' through windows..ONE BIG JOKE.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODE View Post
    Told ya..they won't let them fail! All hush hush from the City while we're all here lookin' through windows..ONE BIG JOKE.
    are you trying to get everyone riled up?

it makes sense that the department is giving the womans lawsuit group every advantage, last thing they want is for the women to go back and say that the city

Forum Member

was unfair and again impeded their ability to get on the job.

so they background them first, big deal, then they can go back to the judge and say, "your honor, we gave them every advantage we possibly could, normally applicants take steps x, y, and z; but we pushed them ahead and did all this first so they would make it on."

if they can't make the cpat, fail their drug tests, have a felony, etc., they will fail out.

city is just covering its ***.

Forum Member

^im sure everyone on here with half a brain can clearly see we're getting screwed. It doesn't take me stating fact to get people " riled" up. Just like everyone else on here stating how they think it's going, or how it's going to go, i see it different. The City hasn't given me any confidence to think otherwise. Unless you are an underqualified imbecile, you don't have a chance in getting hired. It makes me sick.

Forum Member

* just aggravated is all..hope it works out for us all but hard to think it will..

Thread Information