Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 367 of 552 FirstFirst ... 267317357364365366367368369370377417467 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,340 of 11028
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Here's the facts. The class WILL start March 16th. They are to report to Fire Academy South which is EMS to begin training. 3 months or so EMT then down the street to The Quinn for fire training. You will see things start to move along again. Be patient gentlemen. Your time is coming. Good luck.
    Last edited by cfdff; 02-08-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Forum Member

Thank you for your input I really hope it's true and we get on this year. May I ask if you heard if they are doing an academy class as soon as the lawsuit group moves over to quinn?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Keep any news that you might hear coming. I have been following this thread like many for years and though these pages are full of false hopes and promises, I think the great majority of us enjoy reading anything that's out there on the streets. So as always thanks for the contribution and keep it coming. I actually haven't been on here in months, so it's good to come back to some news and hopefully it all holds true. Guess I better get down to City Hall and update my address....
    I'm with you brotha! I need to go update my address as well. It been several months since I've visited the fourms. They've even updated them. LOL

GOOD LUCK FELLAS!!! I hope this is the year.

Forum Member

this has been bugging me for awhile...and after trying to go back in this thread and newspapers I still haven't found out. What was on the test back in 95' give or take a year or two that made black people not score well and cause them not to get on the job? Sincerely 3,400 on the waiting list

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by duhawkin35 View Post
    this has been bugging me for awhile...and after trying to go back in this thread and newspapers I still haven't found out. What was on the test back in 95' give or take a year or two that made black people not score well and cause them not to get on the job? Sincerely 3,400 on the waiting list
    If you haven't found this information, you haven't looked very hard, b/c you can just google it and find info on this lawsuit, but anyway, I will help you out. I did not take the 1995 test, but from what I have read it was a written test with video, so I believe the applicants watched a video and then had to answer questions on what they saw and I'm assuming there were other parts similar to the test we took. It was all general cognition, it was nothing crazy. The thing that people need to realize is that the reason for the suit is because the city said that everyone over a 65 passed the test, but then they came back and said that they would only hire from the "well qualified" group, which were people over 89. When they did that, they cut the # of blacks in the pool tremendously, but I think in general blacks perform more poorly on standardized tests and I think that would be true across say the ACT, SAT, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc. So they're kind of saying the city cut it to that # to weed out many of the previously eligible blacks. Currently it's just pass/fail and I could have scored a 65 on it, nobody knows the scores and I could be above someone that scored a 99, b/c of my SSN. I have said this many of times and I still agree. This sucks for all of us and it's BS, but the city truly got what they deserved for the handling of this entire mess. They completely dropped the ball on the way they sent results, the way they argued the suit, etc.

The city would have been better off just saying, we are going to rank everyone by their score and higher that way and they would have got the same results, but by telling people over a 65 that they passed and then saying sorry, you won't be hired even though you are eligible and passed the exam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    If you haven't found this information, you haven't looked very hard, b/c you can just google it and find info on this lawsuit, but anyway, I will help you out. I did not take the 1995 test, but from what I have read it was a written test with video, so I believe the applicants watched a video and then had to answer questions on what they saw and I'm assuming there were other parts similar to the test we took. It was all general cognition, it was nothing crazy. The thing that people need to realize is that the reason for the suit is because the city said that everyone over a 65 passed the test, but then they came back and said that they would only hire from the "well qualified" group, which were people over 89. When they did that, they cut the # of blacks in the pool tremendously, but I think in general blacks perform more poorly on standardized tests and I think that would be true across say the ACT, SAT, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc. So they're kind of saying the city cut it to that # to weed out many of the previously eligible blacks. Currently it's just pass/fail and I could have scored a 65 on it, nobody knows the scores and I could be above someone that scored a 99, b/c of my SSN. I have said this many of times and I still agree. This sucks for all of us and it's BS, but the city truly got what they deserved for the handling of this entire mess. They completely dropped the ball on the way they sent results, the way they argued the suit, etc.

The city would have been better off just saying, we are going to rank everyone by their score and higher that way and they would have got the same results, but by telling people over a 65 that they passed and then saying sorry, you won't be hired even though you are eligible and passed the exam.
    I didn't know about the 65% on the assessment. I appreciate the information. Looking at it right now...I can't believe they even won...

Forum Member

Best wishes to Commissioner Hoff. And Congratulations to Chief Santiago
    Last edited by ILFFPM; 12-19-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Forum Member

Guys,
    As musch as I hate to say it, unless we are one of 111, we are not getting in any time soon. .
    I know it sucks but I think we need to face the real possibility that we are never going to get hired.
    Last edited by teddyball; 11-08-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Forum Member

Its easy to get all doom and gloom and maybe your right but it is black and white in the contract that manning and number of companies can not even be brought up till 2014. local 2 is no joke of a union and will put up a fight if they violate the contract.
    Last edited by ILFFPM; 02-15-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Forum Member

I don't know how good of news this is but it seems as though Emanuel wants everone to lay down and die for what he wants.. even still guys keep your heads up.. people will retire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Its easy to get all doom and gloom and maybe your right but it is black and white in the contract that manning and number of companies can not even be brought up till 2014. local 2 is no joke of a union and will put up a fight if they violate the contract.

I agree that local 2 is strong but dont forget they have a no strike clause. That is the biggest bargaining chip of any union. After the strike in 1980 they gave up the right to strike. That right there gives Rahm the upper hand.
    Maybe im just being doom and gloom like ILFFPM said lol. Maybe once the ball gets moving again our attitudes will change.

Forum Member

I just wanted to say we are all nervous about getting hired and who knows if we will im praying hard we do, and soon. I figured id stick to the facts and put some things in perspective. here is the minimum manning clause followed by the 2014 stipulation
    The vehicle and equipment manning complements which are
    currently maintained shall continue to be maintained at those levels
    (i.e., five (5) men on all trucks, engines and squad companies and
    effective January 24, 2005, on two (2) HazMat units [5-1-1 and 5-1-
    2]), and effective March 1, 2006, four (4) men on three (3)
    Command Vans

Notwithstanding the above, prior to June 1, 2014, neither party may
    propose any amendment, revision, modification or change in or regarding
    Sections 16.4.A., 16.4.B., 16.4.D., 16.3., 16.7.A., B., and C.1. of this
    Agreement.

Also Commissioner Santiago while he may not be as boisterous about protecting the current manpower, he we was a 23 day striker in 1980 and a very respected firefighter. And in closing local 2 is no joke of a union and has strong friends to. Chicago is a ward based system so alderman are not gonna want there house closed down or reduced in my opinion. And finally there is room for concessions without manning be given up. I really hope we get on soon and will keep the faith

Forum Member

oh and there is still a lot of retirements coming down the pipe to

Forum Member

That's exactly what I was told even if Emanuel can get his dirty hands on the manning they still couldn't cover the amount of people retiring so keep your head high

Forum Member

well the reports now are talking about closing firehouses, 5 or 6 up to 11. 5 or 6 would be about 150 Firefighters they would not replace but send else where to cover retirees. This obviously is not good they still however have manning in the contract. So even if they close those houses they are still gonna be down a couple hundred at least from the calculations i did. so we will see what happens. Keep hoping! I think we who are waiting for FP still have a decent shot and those that did the PAT still have a shot as well.

Forum Member

That sure was quick great job!!! I just hope the wait comes to an end soon
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 02-20-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Forum Member

Hey all,
    Been a while since I actually checked this site and seems that not much has changed.
    I heard about firehouses possibly closing and still talk about the manning possibly getting cut, or at least the city going after it in contract talks.
    I was wondering, suppose all of us waiting for FP actually get on, say end of year 2012. And say manning does get cut in 2014, what does that actually mean for us? Would we all get laid off from the dept?
    I'm curious that if I was offered an aceademy spot and took it, would I be at risk of losing my CFD job a year or two later? If anyone can chime in, that would be great...thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    Hey all,
    I'm curious that if I was offered an aceademy spot and took it, would I be at risk of losing my CFD job a year or two later? If anyone can chime in, that would be great...thanks
    Probably unlikely, but nothing is guaranteed.

Forum Member

Check out this interview with Local 2 President Tom Ryan and one of Rahm's cronies, regarding manning and other cuts. Very informative. I think he represented the department very well, and the public should see this also, so forward it to everyone.

http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2012/...-fire-contract

Forum Member

Emanuel just isn't good for Chicago... Im trying to stay positive and ready to go..

Thread Information