Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 369 of 557 FirstFirst ... 269319359366367368369370371372379419469 ... LastLast
Results 7,361 to 7,380 of 11121
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

The mayor stopped by the academy to give a pep talk to the law suit group, our concerns were represented in the news paper article, by one of our fellow applicants which was nice to hear, here is the link http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...-mistakes.html

Forum Member

Well, the city continues to make mistakes. When they first hired the present class they only were able to process about 84 by March 16th; they still had to find another 27 candidates to start on April 2nd. During that two weeks, 10 candidates decided to quit. The city called another 10 to make up for this. As I understood the ruling; after someone was hired and quit they weren't to be replaced, but what do I know. All I know is it is wrong that some of you getting "aged out" of the job because of this mess especially since the youngest candidate in the present class is 36.

But, it could have been worse.
    http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-...128m-back-pay/

Forum Member

wait wait wait...let me get htis straight. now, it's not only the "minorities" that aren't getting hired that are suing, it's also the ones that aren't hired fast enough....HOLY FUKIN *****!!!! when does it end

Forum Member

Hey guys, been following this thread for a few years now. Haven't had a chance lately to read every post, but have been wondering if anyone knows approximately where in the list they are? At least with sending out interest cards? I'm in the mid 2700's and haven't heard anything.

Patience is definitely the name of this game.

Forum Member

i believe they sent interest cards out to 2500. With the last batch going out like feb of 10. numbers like 1450 and below are waiting for final processing for quite a while now and the rest have only done PAT. No one knows when or if the process is gonna move along again and i dont even want to venture a guess because no one really knows. you may be in a somewhat decent position if manning holds up, because as time goes on less and less people will take the job but i wouldnt bank on it as even us waiting for final processing dont know if we will get on. But best bet would be to keep your address updated with personnel and put this on the back burner for a while.

Forum Member

I'm just staying ready.. haven't heard anything still keeping the faith.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply man. Yea this has been on the backburner for a while now. I haven't gotten my hopes up and I'm doing other things in life, but I'm only 28 and being in the 2700's isn't too bad I guess. Thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

Holy freaking out here. I recently moved and can not find any of my CFD stuff. Can anyone point me into the direction of a contact person and or a phone number so I can obtain a new letter of my list placement and update my new residential info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Forum Member

Here ladies and gentleman is the answer to our questions about hiring. The new commisioner wants a new entrance exam. If he is working with HR already, the mayor has already approved it. I think for us on here it really is time to move on. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Read below. Maybe someone needs to give a call and see what the hell is going on. I am so fed up with this process I could scream.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s appointment of 33-year veteran Chicago firefighter Jose Santiago as Chicago’s new fire commissioner sailed through a City Council committee Thursday amid promises to hold the first firefighters’ entrance exam since 2006, increase diversity and make the Fire Department “more fiscally accountable without compromising operational safety.”

Newly retired Fire Commissioner Robert Hoff said he was “deathly against” closing fire houses or reducing the minimum staffing requirement on fire apparatus — the issue that triggered the bitter 1980 firefighters strike.

When Inspector General Joe Ferguson dared to suggest that Chicago taxpayers could save $57 million a year by reducing that “minimum manning” requirement from five to four, Hoff predicted a rise in fire deaths at the risk of alienating the mayor.

After being appointed to succeed the retiring Hoff, Santiago drew no such line in the sand about closing firehouses — and he repeated that position during Thursday’s confirmation hearing.

“We must always focus on making this department more efficient and fiscally accountable without compromising operational safety and we must assure that this department reflects the diversity and ideas, background and people of Chicago,” Santiago told members of the Committee on Public Safety.

Despite his pledge to increase diversity, Santiago took no position on the demand by the City Council’s Black Caucus to postpone the April 21 promotional exam for battalion chiefs to avoid locking in a lilly-white leadership team for the next decade.

Santiago said that was “above my pay grade.”

But as the Fire Department prepares for what could be as many as 300 retirements this year, Santiago disclosed that he is working with the city’s Department of Human Resources on a new entrance exam that would be the city’s first since 2006.

He also promised to increase the use of technology — including “simulation” training that allows firefighters to fight fires on computers while awaiting the next run. To guarantee “business as usual” during the May 20-21 NATO summit, Santiago said off-duty firefighters would be “re-hired” so the “city as whole would be completely covered.”

During Thursday’s hearing, Ald. Edward M. Burke (14th) urged Santiago to revamp city ambulance fees to capture a change in the way the Fire Department provides emergency medical services.

Currently, the city has 48 advanced life support engines with at least one paramedic and all the emergency medical equipment that an ambulance has even though ALS engines do not transport patients to hospitals.

But the city doesn’t charge for that service — nor is there a fee assessed when ambulances respond to a call, but the patient refuses transport.

Burke urged Santiago to do something about what the alderman called the “disappointing amount of money we collect on ambulance service, estimated to be just a fraction of what we ought to be collecting.”

He added, “It’s no longer just ambulances. We’re now responding with engines and trucks and multiple personnel who are cross-trained. … It’s more expensive in terms of what it costs for that response than it was when we set the fees for what we charge. ... I’m not saying we should be dunning people who can’t afford service. But in many instances — most instances — there are insurance carriers that will pay for these emergencies. We have to figure out what the real cost is and start increasing charges.”
    Last edited by teddyball; 04-12-2012 at 01:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Here ladies and gentleman is the answer to our questions about hiring. The new commisioner wants a new entrance exam. If he is working with HR already, the mayor has already approved it. I think for us on here it really is time to move on. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Read below. Maybe someone needs to give a call and see what the hell is going on. I am so fed up with this process I could scream.
    .”

that really really blows, especially for those who have been processed and are just for the most part waiting for a class to start.
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...missioner.html
    Last edited by MIDWESTRECRUIT; 04-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Forum Member

Fellas relax I spoke with a few different people in the know, us who are waiting for final processing should be ok, they are talking about establishing a list, it will be a couple years possibly look at the 95 list they pulled people off that even after officially announcing the 06 list. I'm really praying we get on soon

MembersZone Subscriber

I suppose they would / should have to do that but if they don't that would be devastating. The wait is painful enough

Forum Member

Unfortunatly I only took the physical in Jan 2010. I am waiting for further processing. Hopefully you guys in FP get the call soon. Us waitng to go further are probably going to get screwed.

Forum Member

Nothing but an adventure.. I hope it works out.
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 04-12-2012 at 10:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

looks like more to do about waiting. this posted in the sun times todayhttp://www.suntimes.com/news/1182622...diversity.html
    Last edited by MIDWESTRECRUIT; 04-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Forum Member

I think that anyone who has started the process has a good shot at this point, for a few reasons. 1- They have already invested time and money into those who are already in the process. 2- The city has to be aware what kind of a backlash they'll receive from just dumping hundreds of applicants who are waiting in the process (I do understand that nothing has been earned yet) and 3- As somebody stated, they may have another exam, for mostly political reasons, but that does not mean that those being processed will be scrapped. If anything, they will continue to finish processing those who have started processing, before starting off of a new list. If you have not received an interest card yet, it's unlikely that it will happen, imo. Things are just moving so incredibly slow. But, I don't think the city is foolish enough to throw out the remaining 400 or so eligible applicants in the process at this point. It doesn't make sense financially, politically, or in terms of future potential lawsuits. Of course It's all just my own opinion on the matter.

Forum Member

The exam the media is talking about is the Battalion Chief exam which is scheduled for April 21st. Probably no new firefighter exam for a few years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    The exam the media is talking about is the Battalion Chief exam which is scheduled for April 21st. Probably no new firefighter exam for a few years.
    'But as the Fire Department prepares for what could be as many as 300 retirements this year, Santiago disclosed that he is working with the city’s Department of Human Resources on a new entrance exam that would be the city’s first since 2006"

I take this as an entry level exam. Hopefully you are right and they are confused about the exam.

Forum Member

As I understand it, they are just talking to hr about it now and it may be a couple years I hope thats the case and we get on prior! I mean there is about a hundred of us who have done everything and are just waiting for final processing.

Forum Member

There is no new firefighter exam.....it takes time, legal mumbo jumbo and money to make a exam....they have a list with 10,000+ candidates to pick from.....don't see them starting a new one with so many people under 38 on that list...there is a Battalion chief promotional exam for Captains though....that's the only exam I know of

Thread Information