Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 371 of 556 FirstFirst ... 271321361368369370371372373374381421471 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,420 of 11109
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

  1. #7401
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Nbs, good rumors or bad? Just curious


  2. #7402
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CHICAGO
    Posts
    250

    Default

    remember these dates:
    10/2005 new test announced
    05/2006 new test given
    09/2006 new test results sent out
    02/2008 first class starts off the 2006 test

    even if they did start talking about a new test, it would be a while before they could/would hire off it!

    nothing moves fast. if you're in some sort of processing, i wouldnt worry too much. if you're number 10,000, i would move on.

  3. #7403
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    255

    Default

    I have heard good rumors they always end with keep your head up.. I last asked if I should get prepared to take a new test and he said no we should be safe. But the people taking the promotion tests are having the problems right now.. but like I said I take it a with a grain lf salt right now..

  4. #7404
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I don't get that though. Why would they do another test if they have a ton of guys still waiting?

  5. #7405
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    255

    Default

    I'm ready for this to end. So if we get in what obstacles will be next
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 04-24-2012 at 01:56 PM.

  6. #7406
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    100

    Default

    ........................
    Last edited by ffdino88; 08-01-2012 at 06:43 PM.

  7. #7407
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northsider123 View Post
    I don't get that though. Why would they do another test if they have a ton of guys still waiting?
    Because the list is six years old and every other department known to man has a new exam every two to four years. Every other department in the state does it every two years, and most other big cities do it about every four at the most, generally speaking. It keeps the list circulating and gives a chance for new applicants who weren't old enough at the time to get on it or others getting up in age to have another shot. I know it sucks for people who are close on the previous list at that particular department but that's just how it rolls, unfortunately. This is the only city anywhere that keeps a list active for nine or ten years. Unfortunately this time around not much hiring has been done from this current exam list. As others have pointed out, even if they are serious about putting on a new exam it'd probably be a year, minimum, until it actually happened, if not longer. I'd guess longer.

    No matter what a department does it's going to screw certain people, whether it's to create a new list and hit the reset button on people close to being hired or are high on a list or keep a list active for eternity and either let people age out or younger people not have an opportunity to test because they were too young at the time. Just how it goes, unfortunately. Always going to be a group unhappy one way or the other.

  8. #7408
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    Because the list is six years old and every other department known to man has a new exam every two to four years. Every other department in the state does it every two years, and most other big cities do it about every four at the most, generally speaking. It keeps the list circulating and gives a chance for new applicants who weren't old enough at the time to get on it or others getting up in age to have another shot. I know it sucks for people who are close on the previous list at that particular department but that's just how it rolls, unfortunately. This is the only city anywhere that keeps a list active for nine or ten years. Unfortunately this time around not much hiring has been done from this current exam list. As others have pointed out, even if they are serious about putting on a new exam it'd probably be a year, minimum, until it actually happened, if not longer. I'd guess longer.

    No matter what a department does it's going to screw certain people, whether it's to create a new list and hit the reset button on people close to being hired or are high on a list or keep a list active for eternity and either let people age out or younger people not have an opportunity to test because they were too young at the time. Just how it goes, unfortunately. Always going to be a group unhappy one way or the other.
    That makes sense. However the city is broke. The last test cost the city upwards of 25 million dollars. For immediate hiring, the city has a pool of about 400 who have already begun the process. It would be foolish to just throw us away and start over. But its Chicago so who knows.

  9. #7409
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Iceman, I hear what your saying the difference with us is we have been fully processed, and are simply waiting for a spot. I agree departments trash old lists all the time with people waiting but very few if any process a whole group of people completely then just retest! The hundreds of thousands if not more they have spent on us would go to waste. And I do realize they did that to some 95 guys so who knows just keep praying !!

  10. #7410
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    131

    Default

    No I understand them going forward with people who are processed. Zero dispute there. The money and resources were already spent, might as well go forward with those people. Absolutely.

  11. #7411
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Wow that's a lot of reading.. read about half this thread.. good reading But wow we all have been on one hell of a rollercoaster ride... Hope our stop comes soon.. they did a promotion test Saturday. captains I believe so I hope good things to come.. keep your head up.. like I said that's how the texts always end for me..

  12. #7412
    Forum Member Shadez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I received a call from a source of mine yesterday evening. He said he's heard from two different sources within the CFD that an August class starting up is very possible. He said he wouldn't have mentioned it to me but hearing it from 2 sources (one of which is waiting for the current class to finish the EMT side to train them). I guess they've been rehiring guys a lot lately because their short on manning and predict its only going to get worse with future retirements.

    He knows I need to update my address so he thought he'd give me a heads up and a kick in the butt to go do it.

    Hope this rumor comes true.

  13. #7413
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    I'm not gonna get excited about rumors, but I pray its true and I/we get in. thank you for the pass on.

  14. #7414
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    I received a call from a source of mine yesterday evening. He said he's heard from two different sources within the CFD that an August class starting up is very possible. He said he wouldn't have mentioned it to me but hearing it from 2 sources (one of which is waiting for the current class to finish the EMT side to train them). I guess they've been rehiring guys a lot lately because their short on manning and predict its only going to get worse with future retirements.

    He knows I need to update my address so he thought he'd give me a heads up and a kick in the butt to go do it.

    Hope this rumor comes true.
    Who do we contact to update our address? I am moving soon and if by some small chance they call me for further processing, I need to send them my current address.
    Thanks

  15. #7415
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Who do we contact to update our address? I am moving soon and if by some small chance they call me for further processing, I need to send them my current address.
    Thanks
    You can go to Human Resources in City Hall to update your address.

  16. #7416
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    You can go to Human Resources in City Hall to update your address.
    You can also mail a letter to the following:
    Martha Marquez,Testing Administrator
    Department of Human Resources
    City Hall
    121 N. LaSalle Room 1100
    Chicago, Illinois 60638

    The letter should contain your name, birthdate, SSN and then your old address and the new address.

  17. #7417
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Rahm

    The above link is the proposed pension reforms by mayor emanuel. I realize we are just praying to get on and i would take the job regardless. but for long term retirement if we are lucky enough to get on i figured it would be nice to know. a couple highlights include retirement age of 60 (was 50 or 55 for new hires) redefined COLA. 5 percent more a year pension contribution for us bringing it to like 14.5 percent of our check.

  18. #7418
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    100

    Default

    ....................
    Last edited by ffdino88; 08-01-2012 at 06:42 PM.

  19. #7419
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    255

    Default

    That stuff is not a concern just yet for use.. let's get a start date then fight for retirement.. keeping the faith...

  20. #7420
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Just thought i'd try to freshen up the tread !!!Was wondering if there was any movement for the jan 2010 physical guys ? Also has there been any rumours bout a new test anytime soon ?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. UPCFire

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 03-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 03-15-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 08:15 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 03-09-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:41 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-29-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts