Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 371 of 556 FirstFirst ... 271321361368369370371372373374381421471 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,420 of 11109
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Nbs, good rumors or bad? Just curious

Forum Member

remember these dates:
    10/2005 new test announced
    05/2006 new test given
    09/2006 new test results sent out
    02/2008 first class starts off the 2006 test

even if they did start talking about a new test, it would be a while before they could/would hire off it!

nothing moves fast. if you're in some sort of processing, i wouldnt worry too much. if you're number 10,000, i would move on.

Forum Member

I have heard good rumors they always end with keep your head up.. I last asked if I should get prepared to take a new test and he said no we should be safe. But the people taking the promotion tests are having the problems right now.. but like I said I take it a with a grain lf salt right now..

Forum Member

I don't get that though. Why would they do another test if they have a ton of guys still waiting?

Forum Member

I'm ready for this to end. So if we get in what obstacles will be next
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 04-24-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Forum Member

Last edited by ffdino88; 08-01-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by northsider123 View Post
    I don't get that though. Why would they do another test if they have a ton of guys still waiting?
    Because the list is six years old and every other department known to man has a new exam every two to four years. Every other department in the state does it every two years, and most other big cities do it about every four at the most, generally speaking. It keeps the list circulating and gives a chance for new applicants who weren't old enough at the time to get on it or others getting up in age to have another shot. I know it sucks for people who are close on the previous list at that particular department but that's just how it rolls, unfortunately. This is the only city anywhere that keeps a list active for nine or ten years. Unfortunately this time around not much hiring has been done from this current exam list. As others have pointed out, even if they are serious about putting on a new exam it'd probably be a year, minimum, until it actually happened, if not longer. I'd guess longer.

No matter what a department does it's going to screw certain people, whether it's to create a new list and hit the reset button on people close to being hired or are high on a list or keep a list active for eternity and either let people age out or younger people not have an opportunity to test because they were too young at the time. Just how it goes, unfortunately. Always going to be a group unhappy one way or the other.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    Because the list is six years old and every other department known to man has a new exam every two to four years. Every other department in the state does it every two years, and most other big cities do it about every four at the most, generally speaking. It keeps the list circulating and gives a chance for new applicants who weren't old enough at the time to get on it or others getting up in age to have another shot. I know it sucks for people who are close on the previous list at that particular department but that's just how it rolls, unfortunately. This is the only city anywhere that keeps a list active for nine or ten years. Unfortunately this time around not much hiring has been done from this current exam list. As others have pointed out, even if they are serious about putting on a new exam it'd probably be a year, minimum, until it actually happened, if not longer. I'd guess longer.

No matter what a department does it's going to screw certain people, whether it's to create a new list and hit the reset button on people close to being hired or are high on a list or keep a list active for eternity and either let people age out or younger people not have an opportunity to test because they were too young at the time. Just how it goes, unfortunately. Always going to be a group unhappy one way or the other.
    That makes sense. However the city is broke. The last test cost the city upwards of 25 million dollars. For immediate hiring, the city has a pool of about 400 who have already begun the process. It would be foolish to just throw us away and start over. But its Chicago so who knows.

Forum Member

Iceman, I hear what your saying the difference with us is we have been fully processed, and are simply waiting for a spot. I agree departments trash old lists all the time with people waiting but very few if any process a whole group of people completely then just retest! The hundreds of thousands if not more they have spent on us would go to waste. And I do realize they did that to some 95 guys so who knows just keep praying !!

Forum Member

No I understand them going forward with people who are processed. Zero dispute there. The money and resources were already spent, might as well go forward with those people. Absolutely.

Forum Member

Wow that's a lot of reading.. read about half this thread.. good reading But wow we all have been on one hell of a rollercoaster ride... Hope our stop comes soon.. they did a promotion test Saturday. captains I believe so I hope good things to come.. keep your head up.. like I said that's how the texts always end for me..

I received a call from a source of mine yesterday evening. He said he's heard from two different sources within the CFD that an August class starting up is very possible. He said he wouldn't have mentioned it to me but hearing it from 2 sources (one of which is waiting for the current class to finish the EMT side to train them). I guess they've been rehiring guys a lot lately because their short on manning and predict its only going to get worse with future retirements.

He knows I need to update my address so he thought he'd give me a heads up and a kick in the butt to go do it.

Hope this rumor comes true.

Forum Member

I'm not gonna get excited about rumors, but I pray its true and I/we get in. thank you for the pass on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    I received a call from a source of mine yesterday evening. He said he's heard from two different sources within the CFD that an August class starting up is very possible. He said he wouldn't have mentioned it to me but hearing it from 2 sources (one of which is waiting for the current class to finish the EMT side to train them). I guess they've been rehiring guys a lot lately because their short on manning and predict its only going to get worse with future retirements.

He knows I need to update my address so he thought he'd give me a heads up and a kick in the butt to go do it.

Hope this rumor comes true.
    Who do we contact to update our address? I am moving soon and if by some small chance they call me for further processing, I need to send them my current address.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Who do we contact to update our address? I am moving soon and if by some small chance they call me for further processing, I need to send them my current address.
    Thanks
    You can go to Human Resources in City Hall to update your address.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    You can go to Human Resources in City Hall to update your address.
    You can also mail a letter to the following:
    Martha Marquez,Testing Administrator
    Department of Human Resources
    City Hall
    121 N. LaSalle Room 1100
    Chicago, Illinois 60638

The letter should contain your name, birthdate, SSN and then your old address and the new address.

Forum Member

Rahm

The above link is the proposed pension reforms by mayor emanuel. I realize we are just praying to get on and i would take the job regardless. but for long term retirement if we are lucky enough to get on i figured it would be nice to know. a couple highlights include retirement age of 60 (was 50 or 55 for new hires) redefined COLA. 5 percent more a year pension contribution for us bringing it to like 14.5 percent of our check.

Forum Member

Last edited by ffdino88; 08-01-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Forum Member

That stuff is not a concern just yet for use.. let's get a start date then fight for retirement.. keeping the faith...

Forum Member

Just thought i'd try to freshen up the tread !!!Was wondering if there was any movement for the jan 2010 physical guys ? Also has there been any rumours bout a new test anytime soon ?

Thread Information