Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 373 of 552 FirstFirst ... 273323363370371372373374375376383423473 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,460 of 11028
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

*****...didn't realize it's been that long. A lot can happen in a year, so they would def want ot recheck for money owed to the city, DUIs or other arrests, medical conditions, etc...which all takes time. For sure at least a couple months before a class starts we should get something to start that. And Aug/Sept is a couple/few months away...don't believe the hype

Forum Member

I have heard from a few sources that anyone who began the processing should be safe. I take it with a grain of salt. One person did state that the city wants to avoid any potential lawsuit. Again, sounds like B.S. to me but I just pass along what I hear.

Just curious, what number did they get up to as far as any type of processing? I am 15** and I took my physical in Jan 2010. I remember that they had to call more for the physical in April 2010 due to the amount of failures and people not interested in the job anymore. I know the people waiting for FP are around 1400 or so. Just trying to gauge if I should even wait around any longer.

Forum Member

teddyball i would say with relative almost certain confidence that if they do two more academies off this list you will be golden of course that is a giant if as us waiting for final processing don't know if we will get on. according to some math i did i read an article in early aug of 11 that the FD was down 53 people, an ADDITIONAl 143ish retired by the end of 11. Also they promoted roughly 100 some lieutenants and like 60 eng. so via the domino effect those are open spots. they are expecting around 300 retirements this year if not more. so that is roughly 520-550 they would be down take away about 130 or so for this academy as they already lost some and the crossovers have to join which is bout 20 of them i think. and take away an additional 50 or so cause of the single role medics retiring which there are not that many retiring. That leaves about close to 400 open spots still and there is talk of another eng class in the fall so that is a lot of folks and manning is there till 2014. so who knows hope and pray!! it happens soon for us

Forum Member

Just be ready for anything!! At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we get another are you still intrested card lol..

Forum Member

Hey everyone, I'm new to the discussion. Some good reading, hope you all make it soon. I was wondering if there is any kind of "deadline" for the interest cards? Is there a certain amount of time you have to respond? I would think this might move the numbering process along a little faster if there was. Thanks.

Forum Member

Haven't got no cards or info from the city I said I wouldn't be surprised if we received another interest card.. we received one a while back in the process.. but it is what it is I guess...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    I have heard from a few sources that anyone who began the processing should be safe. I take it with a grain of salt. One person did state that the city wants to avoid any potential lawsuit. Again, sounds like B.S. to me but I just pass along what I hear.

Just curious, what number did they get up to as far as any type of processing? I am 15** and I took my physical in Jan 2010. I remember that they had to call more for the physical in April 2010 due to the amount of failures and people not interested in the job anymore. I know the people waiting for FP are around 1400 or so. Just trying to gauge if I should even wait around any longer.

Im in the same boat as you. im a Jan '10 PAT ,but my number was in the 1900s. i think they got up to 2500 with the April '10 PATs. im remaining optimistic and still think we have a good shot of getting in . Is there 1 or 2 academies worth of guys waiting for FP? if theres only 1 then i would think us from the Jan 2010 PAT would be in the 2nd academy and be safe as long as we stay out of trouble and don't get too old. im not counting on anything this year though keeping my fingers crossed for 2013.

Forum Member

I think based on the group called in from jan 11 for further processing there is only one and based on the fact that they actually called people to see if they were interested there is barely enough for one group last time only 96 showed up and they called a few more in to see if they were still interested. if they do have an academy by the end of the year it would be close to two years since they called us last a lot have moved on. And i bet even more have moved on from the PAT group cause they havent heard anything in forever

Forum Member

well i heard that the current group may be at the EMT side for another month due to some issues passing the class, also i am still hearing good things about another class, although there is an opinion out there that they may not hire and keep doing OT to cause blame on the union who knows. we shall see hope and pray as usual lol.

I heard the same as ILFFPM. I'm also hearing that when this class does finally finish everything they may even have 3 classes in a row to make up for all the men their losing due to promotions and retirement. We can only hope and pray these rumors are true.

Forum Member

Shadez and ILFFPM,

Just curious, where are you guys hearing this from? I'm only asking b/c the guys I know on the job are clueless as to what the City will do about hiring.

Forum Member

Were veterans processed with us back in feb 11? I thought they were?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    I heard the same as ILFFPM. I'm also hearing that when this class does finally finish everything they may even have 3 classes in a row to make up for all the men their losing due to promotions and retirement. We can only hope and pray these rumors are true.
    I have a couple family members with over 25-30 years on the job and a couple buddies with 2+ years on the job. I do notice the guys with more years on the job hear the rumors first and my buddies who have a couple years on the job hear it a month or so later and the story changes just a bit.

In the end I take what they tell me for what its worth because we all know all the rumors we've heard over the years have mainly been just that, rumors.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Were veterans processed with us back in feb 11? I thought they were?
    Yes we were

Forum Member

I heard a few interesting things yesterday regarding the lawsuit group as well as a potential new class.

1) I heard there was a fight in the class last week between a few cadets.
    2) In anticipation of several cadets failing emt cert exam for the third time, the city will send them to Indiana to take the cert test. In Illinois you only get three strikes.
    3) An August class is being planned.

Again, this is all possible BS but I figured I would pass along what I have heard.
    The Indiana thing may be common practice for anyone whofails the emt in the academy. Not sure about that.

Have a safe 4th everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks bad for them they will still walk them through and somehow get them on the job.

Anyway what does your source say about the possibility of an august class? not saying you didn't hear that just wondering how reliable your source has been on rumors?)
    Do we have a date when the 111 will be out of the academy and completely finished?
    or when they are at they're assigned stations.

Forum Member

He said it was what he had heard through the grapevine. The person is on the job and seems to at least have some idea. As far as when the 111 will be out, he has no idea. He does know that they are being handheld through. This is the first time I talked to this person regarding the job so I guess it is to be determined if his information is good.

Forum Member

Im not trying to doubt anyones information by any means, as it is nice to at least here info/rumors to keep this thread alive. We are all hardened to this process by now as not to get excited by any rumors. But for them to have an august academy even late aug. would mean letters like very very soon. unless they are cool with our processing from last feb. and just give us a start date. I just dont see it happening in august, hopefully this year we will see i suppose. just pray is all we can do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea I was also thinking even the end of August seems a little hard unless they accepted our feb of 11 BI. but never know I guess. Yup just keep praying we get on.

Forum Member

Just to add a little bit to Teddyball's post about the 111...my cousin, who knows just about everyone in the city (prob a few on this thread too) has a buddy who's dad retired from CFD and was asked to come back on as a "consultant" to help tutor the 111 because they can't seem to pass the EMT.
    I just wonder how many times they'll get to pass EMT before they are tossed out?
    Seems to me that the city and CFD fulfilled their court ordered obligation by offering the job. I understand politics (not that I agree with the politics), but how long before this turns into a real safety concern for the citizens of Chicago? Why isn't Walter Jacobson reporting on how bad the current fire academy is, and how much of a safety risk it is to have first repsonders not able to pass a test, and all the "handholding" that is going on to get these supposed competant cadets through the academy. This goes beyond the fact that I'm being held up because of them (supposedly), but rather a concern for my and my family's safety. If I for whatever reason need to call the fire dept. and one of these 111 are on the crew and something goes wrong because of them....goddamn right I'm going to file suit against this city.

Thread Information