Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 375 of 556 FirstFirst ... 275325365372373374375376377378385425475 ... LastLast
Results 7,481 to 7,500 of 11109
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

  1. #7481
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CHICAGO
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NSFire473 View Post
    CFDFF are you currently on the job? I ask because we have heard so many rumors especially those of us who are awaiting FP. Its been a long couple of years. I don't doubt you, but was just wondering your sources if they are on & even in the position to hear something or there reliability?
    There are a few things I already see with this rumor that make me doubt it and I believe ILFFPM may be able to shed a little more light on this, but if I remember correctly all the previous academy's have started on a Monday? Dec. 1st of 2012 is a Saturday. That just seems a little odd being on a weekend.
    if the class were to start then, it would actually start monday, december 3, 2012. the class starts at the beginning of a new pay period. since 12/1 is a saturday, the class would start on the monday. the way info goes, we'll just hear 12/1 or 4/16 for a class start, basically just the start of that pay period. i wouldnt write it off as bad info or a bad rumor just yet.

    FYI...the class of 111 crossed over to the fire side, so they "could" start a class whenever they wanted, since FAS is now open.


  2. #7482
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 233wacker View Post

    FYI...the class of 111 crossed over to the fire side, so they "could" start a class whenever they wanted, since FAS is now open.
    So does that mean they all passed the EMT exam? Anyone know? Last I heard, over 50% failed the first time.
    And as for this latest "rumor", this person, CFDFF only has 2 posts and the other was stating when the 111 were starting the academy. I don't know if that post was after the academy start date became public knowledge or not, but it was true.

  3. #7483
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Well that clears up the pay period & start day. Makes sense.
    Oh also as for the 10 pat group you mentioned 45 spots. There was rumors of a few guys who had skipped or passed up a class & you have to account for crossovers I think will cut back on the 45.

  4. #7484
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Gentlemen,

    look, I am on the job to answer your question, and to ease your mind I do not spread rumor. Our pay period goes from the 1st to the 16th and 16th back to the first. All new hires will start either on the 1 st or the 16th (1st day of pay period). When you start, you are a 40 hr a week employee while in the academy. Now, 40hr guys don't usually work sat or sun, so yes the official 1st work day would be Mon. Dec. 3rd. But on paper the 1st is official start date. The class starting will be 125 off of your list. The crossovers wont start until you come to The Quinn for fire training and they have nothing to do with your numbers. They get added to your class so at The Quinn the class will become 150 if none of you quit or fail out. Do what you want with what I say, believe it or not. Keep in mind watch your comments and attitudes because you never know who is reading this and we are......We will see you soon and its not hard to find out who's who. Good luck, stay positive and get ready to join the best department in the world.

  5. #7485
    Forum Member Shadez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I had mentioned that a few posts back about some guys still waiting from the last group to make it through the entire process. My buddy was called only after someone had passed on the opportunity. He told me the other day that he thinks only a dozen or so are waiting though. So there's a good chance 20-25 of us 2010 PAT guys may have a chance. Got my fingers crossed its more.
    NSFire473 likes this.

  6. #7486
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Oh ya forgot to mention. The 111 came to The Quinn on July, 23rd. FAS should be doing a single role medic class in Sept. then starting the new FF class Dec.

  7. #7487
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default Dec 1 Start Up

    I'm in the 2010 PAT group. I've been following this forum for a while now, always read but dont respond a whole lot. I have a friend of the family that's a instructor at the academy and he says Dec 1 is indeed a go. At the same time- I'm also like everyone else in here: believe it when I see it. I know I'm a little late to the party with the news ... But just thought I'd share. Good luck everyone.

  8. #7488
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    39

    Default

    IM a Jan '10 PAT , if by chance they do have to dip into my group to fill the Dec. 1st class, does anybody know how they choose ? is it just going to be numerical or do they actually go by who had the best #'s from the PAT ?

  9. #7489
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roche17 View Post
    IM a Jan '10 PAT , if by chance they do have to dip into my group to fill the Dec. 1st class, does anybody know how they choose ? is it just going to be numerical or do they actually go by who had the best #'s from the PAT ?
    numbers don't matter anymore. the only numbers that matter are the last of your SSN and your list number.
    there is no more numbers based calling...everything is pass/fail.

  10. #7490
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Is it possible that the time stamp on our interest cards could determine anything? Why would they have us time stamp them if it meant nothing?

  11. #7491
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CHICAGO
    Posts
    250

    Default

    time stamp is just their way of knowing when something is turned in. they go based on the random number, but alot of things can change that. slow backgrounds, etc.

  12. #7492
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    BAD NEWS: Was told by two very reliable sources that the word is that all classes this year are cancelled both fire and paramedic classes. Something about our PAT being to old among other things. Whether this means we are done with this process for good or we are redoing our PAT i don't know. The sources seem to think we will be ok who knows though. Im still praying we get on at some point, sooner than later. This is a giant disappointment and im really upset but hopefully we still get on off this list a lot of us are all still young im in my mid 20s and a lot of us still want this job bad, hopefully were not left out in the cold.

  13. #7493
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    BAD NEWS: Was told by two very reliable sources that the word is that all classes this year are cancelled both fire and paramedic classes. Something about our PAT being to old among other things. Whether this means we are done with this process for good or we are redoing our PAT i don't know. The sources seem to think we will be ok who knows though. Im still praying we get on at some point, sooner than later. This is a giant disappointment and im really upset but hopefully we still get on off this list a lot of us are all still young im in my mid 20s and a lot of us still want this job bad, hopefully were not left out in the cold.

    Hopefully not true, but if it is there would be no reason for the city stick with our test. I have heard of medicals expiring but not the PAT. Who knows. I wouldn't get too worked up yet. We have all heard a bunch of bs and most has not come true. No reason to think this is different.
    Remember, the Fire Department is like a high school. One person says something and it spreads like wildfire. Lets not forget the debacle with numbers. One day it was going in order. The next day it was a lottery. Next day it was they are starting with number 18,000 and working backwards. LOL
    So lets keep up hope and try not to get all down on the rumors.

  14. #7494
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Jesus, every time a great rumor comes along (dec.1st class), without fail another one has to come along and squash it to ****. I, like all of us, am sick and tored of this bs process. I hope you guys are testing in other towns, because that saying about "putting all of your eggs in one basket" pretty much fits this situation like a glove. With that said, we still need to take these rumors for what they are. Consider the sources. I'm not trying to say that ILFFPM's sources are wrong, but what is their track record? Have they been wrong before? Also, we were all really only expecting one additional class this year anyhow in december, and I was guessing it was a 50/50 anyhow. Maybe they will just be pushing back the December class further to redo PAT's, **** test, etc. Let's not forget guys- the city has invested money in us. Probably much more than we even realize. Try to keep your heads up, and always question these rumors/sources

  15. #7495
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoblaze View Post
    Jesus, every time a great rumor comes along (dec.1st class), without fail another one has to come along and squash it to ****. I, like all of us, am sick and tored of this bs process. I hope you guys are testing in other towns, because that saying about "putting all of your eggs in one basket" pretty much fits this situation like a glove. With that said, we still need to take these rumors for what they are. Consider the sources. I'm not trying to say that ILFFPM's sources are wrong, but what is their track record? Have they been wrong before? Also, we were all really only expecting one additional class this year anyhow in december, and I was guessing it was a 50/50 anyhow. Maybe they will just be pushing back the December class further to redo PAT's, **** test, etc. Let's not forget guys- the city has invested money in us. Probably much more than we even realize. Try to keep your heads up, and always question these rumors/sources
    I agree with you 100%.
    ILFFPM, I hope you dont think I am doubting your source either. I am just trying to look at the bright side of things. I have not tested anywhere else as I only took the Chicago test because all my friends talked me into it. As time went on and I realized what a great oppurtunity this was, I became really interested in the job. I still hope this happens and have some hope we will be called.
    I wonder if we called the fire department hr department, if they will tell us anything. I went for an address change a few weeks ago and the lady working the desk was very busy and I didn't want to bother her. I would have asked otherwise.

  16. #7496
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoblaze View Post
    Jesus, every time a great rumor comes along (dec.1st class), without fail another one has to come along and squash it to ****. I, like all of us, am sick and tored of this bs process. I hope you guys are testing in other towns, because that saying about "putting all of your eggs in one basket" pretty much fits this situation like a glove. With that said, we still need to take these rumors for what they are. Consider the sources. I'm not trying to say that ILFFPM's sources are wrong, but what is their track record? Have they been wrong before? Also, we were all really only expecting one additional class this year anyhow in december, and I was guessing it was a 50/50 anyhow. Maybe they will just be pushing back the December class further to redo PAT's, **** test, etc. Let's not forget guys- the city has invested money in us. Probably much more than we even realize. Try to keep your heads up, and always question these rumors/sources

    While you are correct, this really means nothing in this city at the end of the day. The city is broke for a reason; spending money unwisely and mismanaging finances terribly for decades. Them having spent money to process potential employees doesn't really matter. They're going to do what they want to do, regardless. Not saying I agree with it and I hope for all of your sakes that they do follow through but using this logic on its own two feet means nothing. The city rarely does anything that makes sense, and that's why it's so often screwing itself.

    Semi-related, I work in the city's EMS system and I know from where I work that the Illinois Masonic EMT exam has been compromised. Because of this, they will likely have to dismiss the current exam and come up with a completely different new one. This is all still being investigated and whatnot, but obviously Masonic is one of CFD's system hospitals and this can affect them going forward with not only this current firefighter class that's trying to get through EMT certification but future classes. It does not affect the Illinois State EMT exam, but you have to test into the local medical systems before being qualified to work as an EMT and if said system doesn't have a current exam to give, that will cause delays. We'll see what happens. I hope it doesn't affect anything too badly but it's all being looked into right now, from what I'm told. Figured I'd share seeing is it can directly affect what's being talked about in here.

  17. #7497
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    While you are correct, this really means nothing in this city at the end of the day. The city is broke for a reason; spending money unwisely and mismanaging finances terribly for decades. Them having spent money to process potential employees doesn't really matter. They're going to do what they want to do, regardless. Not saying I agree with it and I hope for all of your sakes that they do follow through but using this logic on its own two feet means nothing. The city rarely does anything that makes sense, and that's why it's so often screwing itself.

    Semi-related, I work in the city's EMS system and I know from where I work that the Illinois Masonic EMT exam has been compromised. Because of this, they will likely have to dismiss the current exam and come up with a completely different new one. This is all still being investigated and whatnot, but obviously Masonic is one of CFD's system hospitals and this can affect them going forward with not only this current firefighter class that's trying to get through EMT certification but future classes. It does not affect the Illinois State EMT exam, but you have to test into the local medical systems before being qualified to work as an EMT and if said system doesn't have a current exam to give, that will cause delays. We'll see what happens. I hope it doesn't affect anything too badly but it's all being looked into right now, from what I'm told. Figured I'd share seeing is it can directly affect what's being talked about in here.

    I'm not sure if I follow you. How does IMMC's EMT exam being compromised have anything to do with the current cfd list? The two really aren't connected. Throwing out the list makes absolutely no sense because no one on the current list has had any involvement as-of-yet with anything EMT related. Maybe I'm missing something. BTW, I'm a paramedic in the field as well, I I haven't heard anything about that


    Nevermind, I just re-read your post and got what you were saying. Sorry, was reading a little hastily yesterday I guess
    Last edited by Chicagoblaze; 08-23-2012 at 09:03 AM.

  18. #7498
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoblaze View Post
    I'm not sure if I follow you. How does IMMC's EMT exam being compromised have anything to do with the current cfd list? The two really aren't connected. Throwing out the list makes absolutely no sense because no one on the current list has had any involvement as-of-yet with anything EMT related. Maybe I'm missing something. BTW, I'm a paramedic in the field as well, I I haven't heard anything about that


    Nevermind, I just re-read your post and got what you were saying. Sorry, was reading a little hastily yesterday I guess
    I wasn't suggesting it would have anything to do with throwing out the list, just delaying fire classes going through the academy seeing as EMT-B is required and the system entry exam to become said EMT-B has been compromised. I can see now where you thought I was talking about the fire list itself. Sorry for the confusion. I just found this out myself within the last couple of weeks and it's being investigated. The person involved has been indefinitely suspended from work while this is being looked into, so I guess we'll see what happens. Basically, the answers for the current system entry exam were given to a prospective EMT by this person and the EMS coordinator of the company got wind of it and had it reported to IMMC. If true, this means a whole new system entry exam would have to be created seeing as the answers for the current could be in anyone's hands. This creates problems for anyone involved in that system, be it private ambulance companies or CFD.

  19. #7499
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Just doing my weekly check here. I appreciate all the insight from everyone.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 10:28 PM.

  20. #7500
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Very quiet around here. I have been hearing that the December class is still a go.
    I was told that the CFD has been calling back guys on their Daley day. I guess alot depends on the class still in the academy.
    Thats all I have heard.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 10 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 10 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 03-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 03-15-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 08:15 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 03-09-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:41 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-29-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts