Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 379 of 554 FirstFirst ... 279329369376377378379380381382389429479 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,580 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Dj reverse, i understand you trying to be positive. but we have to be realistic our best and most likely only chance to get on CFD is off this list. retesting and more waiting would be years. I am praying hard we still get on off this list. I guess i don't understand why they wouldn't do at least one maybe two more classes off this list there is guys ready to go in that are still young like mid 20s young and who have completed all the processing. Its so frustrating, especially reading that article from 2007 about how the group of 95 guys who had completed all the processing were left in the wind to. I dont know anymore.

Forum Member

@teddyball, I spoke to i believe 3 different people who said the Millitary make up exam DID occur on Oct.27 and they are still using the 2006 exam. Not that is gospel per se but thought you would like to know.

Forum Member

to clarify this was Chicago HR i called as well as Chicago FD personnel just now

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    to clarify this was Chicago HR i called as well as Chicago FD personnel just now
    That is great news. I had a feeling the dude I was talking to was just trying to save face with his father. It reminds me of my wifes cousin who told his family that he took the FD test in 2006. While I was standing there his mom asked "So what was the hardest part of the test"? His answer "the math section". I looked at him and then at his mom and said "yeah the math was tough". LOL
    Now we all know there was no math. The point is he kind of settled into a low pay easy job and everyone in his family was trying to get him to advance himself.
    WOW. I would have figured the dude would have pulled me aside and said hey I was lying in front of his father. Especially after he knew how disappointed I was. Oh well. There was a reason I never kept in touch with the guy.
    Last edited by teddyball; 11-13-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Forum Member

Just looked over the city budget for 2013 and saw nothing about new recruits for the fire department. Not sure if this is good or bad. I did however see it for the police department.

Forum Member

That is because the FD manpower is locked in contractually. The police is not and fluctuates, the mayor elimanated police vacancies last year about 1400 of them, but due to rising crime agreed to hire to keep with attrition I.E. approx 500 officers. The way the FD budgets unless minimum manning changes, is that manpower is always the same approx 4300 or so give or take for positions eliminated that are not covered by the CBA. So basically the manpower is always the same hence why they pay 21 million this coming year for overtime to cover the spots until new hires occur...or not and just pay OT. hope that makes sense

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    That is because the FD manpower is locked in contractually. The police is not and fluctuates, the mayor elimanated police vacancies last year about 1400 of them, but due to rising crime agreed to hire to keep with attrition I.E. approx 500 officers. The way the FD budgets unless minimum manning changes, is that manpower is always the same approx 4300 or so give or take for positions eliminated that are not covered by the CBA. So basically the manpower is always the same hence why they pay 21 million this coming year for overtime to cover the spots until new hires occur...or not and just pay OT. hope that makes sense
    Oh Ok that makes sense. I was just hoping to see something that indicated they were going to hire.
    I did not see any funding for a new test though. That I know has to be budgeted.
    Weel fingers crossed. Hopefully after they send the pass/fail letters to the military make up guys we hear something. I know the make up is more of a formality but they wouldn't waste the time if they were not going to use it.
    Thats my way of thinking anyway.LOL

Forum Member

http://www.iaff-local2.org/items/Vet...FF2006Test.pdf

looks like the list will be around a while longer

Forum Member

[QUOTE=233wacker;1348058]http://www.iaff-local2.org/items/Vet...FF2006Test.pdf

looks like the list will be around a while longer[/QUOTE

That certainly makes it a little more promising for us waiting. I think the guys waiting on FP will be ok. Not sure about us from the 2010 PAT.

Forum Member

Not good news, I read the Procurement Services portion of the city of chicago buying plan. And in it there is a contracting opportunity for a new entrance exam to be held 2Q of 2013, so Apr to Jun. Also it relates about a validation process for the CPAT exam. So I don't know what that means for the women suing, are they gonna put them before us cause there going to a new PAT? and we get left out in the cold yet again? But bottom line it looks like new exam to be held in 2Q2013. So i think our list is about done. Maybe one more class who knows, it could be the women for all i know. Look at Human Resources Pg.12 i think

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...12thru4Q13.pdf

Forum Member

[QUOTE=ILFFPM;1348917]Not good news, I read the Procurement Services portion of the city of chicago buying plan. And in it there is a contracting opportunity for a new entrance exam to be held 2Q of 2013, so Apr to Jun. Also it relates about a validation process for the CPAT exam. So I don't know what that means for the women suing, are they gonna put them before us cause there going to a new PAT? and we get left out in the cold yet again? But bottom line it looks like new exam to be held in 2Q2013. So i think our list is about done. Maybe one more class who knows, it could be the women for all i know. Look at Human Resources Pg.12 i think

[url]http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/dps/Outreach/20122013BuyingPlan3Q12thru4Q13 what

That my friends is what we call the "writing on the wall".
    I am not sure the exam will be held then or if that is bidding for a new exam. 2013 seems fast for a new exam. Maybe this has something to do with processing people? Not sure. In any case it looks worse and worse everyday. I think the city is starting to tel us what we already know. The 2006 exam is pretty much done. MAybe one more class but that doesn't help the 2010 PAT people. Good luck to those who hopefully get to move on. I am still young enough to take another test but the clock is ticking on me. Who knows. I thought my number was good last time. LOL Guess I was wrong.
    Last edited by teddyball; 11-25-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Forum Member

I hope something happens almost to old to take another test and wait again. Everyone I talk to says people who have processed should be fine. But who knows.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmith28 View Post
    I hope something happens almost to old to take another test and wait again. Everyone I talk to says people who have processed should be fine. But who knows.

I think the guys waiting for FP are going to be ok. Especially since they requested information from the veterans. Those of us who took the 2010 PAT probably need to realize its over as far as this test goes. Hate to be a downer but if you listen to the mayor and to the Fire Commisioner they want diversity asap. Why spend the money to process us any further when they can just move on with their agenda. Not saying this is right or wrong just the reality of it. I think it sucks from a personal standpoint but I guess this is it for the most part. The sooner I realize that, the less disappointed I will be.

Ah man, these are the days I hate coming in here to catch up on the latest news. Ugh!

Well if this latest news is in fact true it looks like I'll be one of those guys too old for the job. Passed the Jan 2010 PAT and never heard another word. I'll be 36 in April and although I will attempt to take another test if there is one my hopes and dreams of being a firefighter will diminish greatly. I was also on the 95 list. I hope some of you guys that made this far and are still young enough get that opportunity. This process has been the most frustrating thing i've ever been a part of. It would have been very rewarding to have waited all this time and to make it on.

I hear the same things that nbsmith hears about being fine if I made to the point I'm at. But with Chicago and the CFD you really never know.
    Last edited by Shadez; 11-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

As much as this sucks its also a blessing. Of course it is the worst news for anyone waiting for FP. Or the guys/gals from the 2010 PAT. However the brighter side of things is We have another chance to do better. To reduce our wait on this list.

My cousin is in the lower 5000 on this list and he is 34. He sees it as one more shot. His last shot but its still a shot. For me if a new test lasts as long as this one, this will also be my last.

The thing that worries me is a process much like the FDNY test exam 2000. I see some of the same names here as I do on that test forum and we all know how nerve racking and annoying that debacle was/is.

If its a minority numbers thing then a numbers game we will play at a chance to get on the CFD. I just hope that the CFD doesnt do the same thing as FDNY.

Forum Member

Midwest I understand what your saying.but to be frank those of us waiting for fp will most likely never have this good of shot again. This forum should not be involved in the race issue it makes us look bad. But the group currently waiting for fp is diverse in race and sex. We have been processed twice now and are a young and able group. I'll be devastated to be honest if we get left in the cold. Keep praying is all we can do.

MembersZone Subscriber

ILFFPM, I agree with you 100% but what current facts are and what others want the facts to be are totally different. I'm not trying to start a racial debate. Just a general statement in reference to what teddyball had said about the request from the mayor and the commish wanting to diversify the department. I hope nothing but the best for those who are ready to go. I hope you do get in along with the others that got processed with you. Would only be the right thing to do.

Forum Member

Thanks man I appreciate it. I hope our group waiting for fp gets on off this list.

Forum Member

Now let's all slow down here. I'm a Jan 2010 PAT guy and want this job more than anything. I already took EMT-B just to have a better footing on WHEN we start the academy.
    It seems since that PDF was viewed things have taken a sour turn. BUT all that PDF is saying is that they are going out to have outside companies BID on the projects mentioned. As far as the dates go (Q3, Q4, etc) who is to say those are even set in stone. I've heard from two on the job sources, as long as you are somewhere in the process, waiting on FP or just did PAT, we just have to be patient, our time will come.

Lets stay focused on the end result, and that end result is us in our class A's, accepting our diplomas proudly.

Forum Member

I hope the same for you guys ILFFPM and I hope they at least grab a couple of us off of the 2010 PAT. That will be my only chance of getting hired. Just look at this board. It has been quiet for months. I think a lot of people have moved on. They are probably smarter than us LOL. After talking to my wife, we both agreed that if I do not get hired off of this list I will not take the next test. I will force myself to move on. I based alot of personal decisions on the fact that I was probably going to get hired after I took my PAT. I understand that this is my own fault but I will not put myself through that again. I am going to go back to school and complete my degree. As I stated earlier in this process it wasn't always my dream to become a fireman. I took the test , passed it, and was called for my physical. The further I got in the process, the more excited I got at the prospect of being a fireman. I feel bad for the guys who have had this dream their whole life. It is terrible for me and I can only imagine it is worse for some of you guys.

Thread Information