Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 383 of 554 FirstFirst ... 283333373380381382383384385386393433483 ... LastLast
Results 7,641 to 7,660 of 11079
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

has everyone recently posted in here done the physical test yet? and whats your number

Forum Member

Not sure how relevant this is but the guys at fireside chat are saying they hear that there is not going to be any classes this year. Again who knows how true but I figured I would post it here. I'm thinking if there is a class this year they need to start processing soon.

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/boar...95&user=dune23

Also to answer the question for Varg. Alot of people have already taken the physical. my number was 15XX and I took mine Jan 2010
    Last edited by teddyball; 03-26-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Forum Member

I took the physical March of 2009, 1342 waiting for final processing. Had background invest. come to house Aug of 2010

Forum Member

Those guys at fireside chat aren't reliable...a few days before that post says a new class in summer and late fall of htis year.
    Those guys just like to bicker with each other over the internet and bitch about their union execs.
    Don't listen what they say any more than what your neighbor tells you

Forum Member

This is from the Spring edition to the Sounder........

Some POSSIBILITIES in the future:
    2014 Entrance Exam with CPAT
    CFFs in July with CPAT
    25 new ambulances fixed at 31”, no airbags
    2 new snorkels with chase rigs
    Currently working on specs for new TLs
    New hand light issue for all rigs – 5 for engines, 5 for trucks, 6 for squads, 2 for ambulances

Forum Member

Friend of mine was in the waiting-game position many of you are in. He finally had enough and took a job up in Wisconsin a few days ago. Moves in two weeks. Was finally fed up with the waiting and uncertainty. So, one less guy for you guys to compete against.

It's a shame. His long-time girlfriend (still together) supported him, picked up and moved into an apartment in the city from the suburbs, worked a couple odd jobs to pay the bills until getting the call; basically changed their entire lives around for what they thought was an inevitability at the time. Sure many hear have similar tales. It's too bad.

Forum Member

There are twothings in this world and two things only that will make me give up this dream of mine......
    #1 - i turn 38
    #2 - they can our list

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    Friend of mine was in the waiting-game position many of you are in. He finally had enough and took a job up in Wisconsin a few days ago. Moves in two weeks. Was finally fed up with the waiting and uncertainty. So, one less guy for you guys to compete against.

It's a shame. His long-time girlfriend (still together) supported him, picked up and moved into an apartment in the city from the suburbs, worked a couple odd jobs to pay the bills until getting the call; basically changed their entire lives around for what they thought was an inevitability at the time. Sure many hear have similar tales. It's too bad.
    Yeah I know the feeling. I grew up in the city and made sure I lived here after the physical exam. My wife wanted to go to the burbs but I was not going to give up the FD opportunity. So we bought in the city. If this list gets canned I will move out right away. Of course I will take a loss on my home but no need to stay here if I don't have to. I actually started looking again in the suburbs as right now is the time to buy. But for some reason I cannot close the door on this job until I know for sure.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Yeah I know the feeling. I grew up in the city and made sure I lived here after the physical exam. My wife wanted to go to the burbs but I was not going to give up the FD opportunity. So we bought in the city. If this list gets canned I will move out right away. Of course I will take a loss on my home but no need to stay here if I don't have to. I actually started looking again in the suburbs as right now is the time to buy. But for some reason I cannot close the door on this job until I know for sure.
    I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I've lived in the city all along (my girlfriend and I live together in a house) but we want to move. Ideally to the burbs, but I'm pretty high on the EMS list right now (I have a terrible Firefighter list number) so playing the waiting game a bit. If I got on the job, we'd look at homes in a different area of the city, but if I don't, we'd move to the burbs in a heartbeat. She's waiting and in this with me but sometimes you can only wait so long when there's other factors and people involved other than just you. And like you said, the market's in a good position to buy right now, so it's tough to sit around and wait.

I would be fourth generation on this job (CFD) and it's always been my dream, but I've always tested in the burbs just the same because I know better than to count on only the city for a job. Plus, the older I've gotten and the more family has become a part of the future plans, the less and less I want to live in the city. The expense, nickel and diming, politics, and other factors have made it less and less desirable to live here.

I give all the credit in the world to the people who can and do hang on no matter what....I wish them nothing but the best. But for some people that's just simply not an option to put their lives on hold after doing so for years already for a job they still may never get. I'm still in a position to where I can wait but it won't last forever with me, either, despite it being my life-long dream and being in the family for so many generations. It's unfortunate the hiring process is what it is in the city, which ever side of the fence you're on. I'm still young enough to get on and be able to cross over, but I'm not going to put my life, or my girlfriend's, on hold forever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I've lived in the city all along (my girlfriend and I live together in a house) but we want to move. Ideally to the burbs, but I'm pretty high on the EMS list right now (I have a terrible Firefighter list number) so playing the waiting game a bit. If I got on the job, we'd look at homes in a different area of the city, but if I don't, we'd move to the burbs in a heartbeat. She's waiting and in this with me but sometimes you can only wait so long when there's other factors and people involved other than just you. And like you said, the market's in a good position to buy right now, so it's tough to sit around and wait.

I would be fourth generation on this job (CFD) and it's always been my dream, but I've always tested in the burbs just the same because I know better than to count on only the city for a job. Plus, the older I've gotten and the more family has become a part of the future plans, the less and less I want to live in the city. The expense, nickel and diming, politics, and other factors have made it less and less desirable to live here.

I give all the credit in the world to the people who can and do hang on no matter what....I wish them nothing but the best. But for some people that's just simply not an option to put their lives on hold after doing so for years already for a job they still may never get. I'm still in a position to where I can wait but it won't last forever with me, either, despite it being my life-long dream and being in the family for so many generations. It's unfortunate the hiring process is what it is in the city, which ever side of the fence you're on. I'm still young enough to get on and be able to cross over, but I'm not going to put my life, or my girlfriend's, on hold forever.
    I just found out my wife is pregnant so that is also weighing in on any decision.

In a bit of good news I did hear from someone ,who appears to have a better source than me, that they are 99.9% sure that there will be two more classes of this list. He even went so far as to say letters will be mailed out within a week or two. I asked how reliable the source and he said it was someone connected to processing and the fire academy itself. So keep fingers crossed. The person I talked to is also monitoring this closely as he is in the same boat as all of us.
    Hopefully this is true especially for guys who are coming up on max age.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    There are twothings in this world and two things only that will make me give up this dream of mine......
    #1 - i turn 38
    #2 - they can our list
    I hear you Jetguy...over the past year-year and a half, I've told myself I've had it with waiting. rather give it up on my own then ahve it taken away...bit of a control of my own destiny thing. But I cna't seem to do it. I keep coming back to this message board and asking cousins and uncles about the job and next academy class.
    I turn 38 in late June and if I get called it will be REAL hard to not take the job, even though it would be a major paycut for me and I just bought a new house and had a new baby. all within the last 3 weeks.
    Everyone keep thier heads up and just keep goiing on with life until they get called.
    If it's meant to be, it'll happen, if not, so be it.

Forum Member

So I heard from a phone call today that there will be two classes of 100 going through the academy back to back but in October.. and get ready for the cpat. Source says there going to make us do it. So if you know peeps who have taken a cpat get the info

Forum Member

Hopefully those letters being mailed out within the next 2 weeks ring true. Same applies for the mention of back to back classes but I just don't get making us do the CPAT. I say this ONLY because let's say you have a potential candidate that passed the initial agilities test but fails CPAT.....couldn't that open the door potential class actions again?

I'd rather they keep us processing from where we left off and run us an extra mile during PT lol

I just want this more than anything. My wife and i just had our first daughter 8 months ago and i can already tell she wants her daddy to be a Chicago FF/EMT really bad lol

Keep staying positive guys/gals and don't let your dreams go!!!

Forum Member

Surprised they'd make anyone from this exam do the CPAT. Just for the sake of uniformity and not taking the risk of being sued somehow because others from the list that have been hired didn't have to do it. Can see someone failing the CPAT and suing saying it's unfair they had to do it and other classes didn't have to (even though the CPAT is completely legit and the way to do it)

Also, not doubting you or your source, just saying it surprises me they'd change gears like that. Hope for all your sakes that this information is true and they really do put two classes through like that. Hope they get to steppin' getting some EMS classes through, too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmith28 View Post
    So I heard from a phone call today that there will be two classes of 100 going through the academy back to back but in October.. and get ready for the cpat. Source says there going to make us do it. So if you know peeps who have taken a cpat get the info
    Yeah My source said the same thing. October and January 100 in each class. Heard the same about the cpat. I will try to get as much information as I can regarding the Cpat and pass it along to everyone here.
    I heard last week that the letters are going to be mailed soon as to get a count of potential candidates as well as give us time to prep for the Cpat. I am under the assumption, though not 100% sure, that everyone in the process is going to get a letter of inquiry.
    NB it sounds like our sources may be the same person or talking to the same person. I do know the main source is definitely a person in the know.

Forum Member

I got the most the test because I'm in Indy and they use cpat but I'm checking with some others before I put the complete run down on here

Forum Member

I took the CPAT for another department in 2009 before I took the Chicago PAT. There really is no comparison. I hope this rumor is true. I would estimate that over 35% of the remaining candidates will not pass it. At this point for me to make it in (based on rumors), I would have to be in the first class since I will be 38 before December. This CPAT business may just save my behind.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 04-12-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Forum Member

Was at the academy today, from what I heard was 2 classes of 100, interest cards going out Friday, would like to have a class start July if that doesn't work then September. CPAT will take that place of Physical Agilities!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aircrew777 View Post
    Was at the academy today, from what I heard was 2 classes of 100, interest cards going out Friday, would like to have a class start July if that doesn't work then September. CPAT will take that place of Physical Agilities!
    I wonder if the city will set us up with the Cpat or if we will have to do this ourselves.

Forum Member

Oh man - now this is the news we want to hear! In terms of CPAT, I wonder if that means CPAT will replace the agilities for future tests or if this means we will need to re-take the agilities in CPAT form?

My on-the-job source confirmed letters being mailed out as well as the 2 classes off our list......really trying not to be as happy as a little girl right now (did i just say that)?...but i can't help it.....WHO ARE WE? Soon to be CFD

Thread Information