Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 384 of 554 FirstFirst ... 284334374381382383384385386387394434484 ... LastLast
Results 7,661 to 7,680 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Im praying hard its true and I/we get on soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    Oh man - now this is the news we want to hear! In terms of CPAT, I wonder if that means CPAT will replace the agilities for future tests or if this means we will need to re-take the agilities in CPAT form?

My on-the-job source confirmed letters being mailed out as well as the 2 classes off our list......really trying not to be as happy as a little girl right now (did i just say that)?...but i can't help it.....WHO ARE WE? Soon to be CFD
    From what I have heard we will be taking the cpat. The city is working out the details. Pricing, dates, etc,etc.
    It is for 2 classes. I heard between 7-800 interest letters. I also am not sure if the letters are only going to people in processing or if they have extended to others further down the list as we are starting over completely. I believe they are still going in our assigned number order as far as hiring goes.
    And if it were to happen it would be October and possibly January.
    Last edited by teddyball; 04-11-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Forum Member

Glad ive been training for a 100 mile marathon next weekend! Bring on the cpat..sure hope this is true, but i have my doubts.

Forum Member

Ok, I've been watching this forum since almost the beginning, and I hate to see everyone get worked up over rumors, because that's all they are. No one, let me repeat, no one knows anything for certain. I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but that is just the way it is. This is no different than any other Fire Department, it's hurry up and wait and the only way to not get yourself in a bind is to continue testing elsewhere, because nothing is guaranteed. The city could throw out the list tomorrow and it doesn't matter if you've been processed. I've been processed with a few departments and boom, the list goes out the door. It's only money and the city likes to throw it around.

Think of this, there were quite a number of cross over medics that were failed on the physical agility, and never given a reason why. You all that have been processed know that the physical was a joke and for Medics, that are in great shape to be failed without reason, kind of shady. Thus, talk of lawsuits, as well as dropping the age 38 max age for crossovers. So, in order to save themselves from a large lawsuit of guys already on the job, it is possible that they will toss the current list and retest. Planning the CPAT is a big ordeal, I know because not only have I taken it, but I'm also a proctor for it. Giving others the opportunity to take something that was not afforded to others, sets the scene for another lawsuit. See what I'm getting at here?

And if any of you question why they would drop the age limit for cross overs and not civilians? Because they are already on the job, in the pension, and it would be considered a promotion.

Also, please, the thought of filing a lawsuit against the city because of the 111, there was language agreed upon during litigation that basically states any attempt to file would be tossed. That lawsuit was another sticky situation, that is over and done.

Reality is, there will always be rumors, but until you have solid evidence, keep a level head.

Forum Member

Pretty sure everybody knows that..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireparamedic View Post
    Ok, I've been watching this forum since almost the beginning, and I hate to see everyone get worked up over rumors, because that's all they are. No one, let me repeat, no one knows anything for certain. I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but that is just the way it is. This is no different than any other Fire Department, it's hurry up and wait and the only way to not get yourself in a bind is to continue testing elsewhere, because nothing is guaranteed. The city could throw out the list tomorrow and it doesn't matter if you've been processed. I've been processed with a few departments and boom, the list goes out the door. It's only money and the city likes to throw it around.

Think of this, there were quite a number of cross over medics that were failed on the physical agility, and never given a reason why. You all that have been processed know that the physical was a joke and for Medics, that are in great shape to be failed without reason, kind of shady. Thus, talk of lawsuits, as well as dropping the age 38 max age for crossovers. So, in order to save themselves from a large lawsuit of guys already on the job, it is possible that they will toss the current list and retest. Planning the CPAT is a big ordeal, I know because not only have I taken it, but I'm also a proctor for it. Giving others the opportunity to take something that was not afforded to others, sets the scene for another lawsuit. See what I'm getting at here?

And if any of you question why they would drop the age limit for cross overs and not civilians? Because they are already on the job, in the pension, and it would be considered a promotion.

Also, please, the thought of filing a lawsuit against the city because of the 111, there was language agreed upon during litigation that basically states any attempt to file would be tossed. That lawsuit was another sticky situation, that is over and done.

Reality is, there will always be rumors, but until you have solid evidence, keep a level head.

Thanks for information. I think if all of us on this board know nothing is certain and we post things we have heard from sources we deem reliable. But we have been down this road with "verified" information and thus far it has all turned up incorrect. The info I posted was what I had heard from someone I would consider reliable as that person is closer to this situation than I am myself.

Bottom line is we have all been waiting for a long time, only to be told to wait some more. Alot of us in the process have made life decisions based on our possibly getting hired. Granted, we were never told we were getting hired but based on our positions in the process we were close enough that we needed to make decisions like buying a home in the city as opposed to buying elsewhere. So rumors and hearsay are all we have at this point. I understand that there is possible lawsuits from people who did not pass the original pyhsical. That is why I do not understand why they would possibly change to CPAT in the middle of the process if that is in fact true. Seems like that would open more legal issues.

Do I think the city is going to just scrap this test and on to a new test. Yes I do. But right now we are still holding on to the hope that we may hear something positive.

I have stated on this board that I think our chance are slim. If we hear something in the next week or so then great. Until I pass the remainder of the tests and get a letter telling me I am hired I will go under the assumption that I will not get this job.

Myself and a few others on here are right at the age cutoff. I am 34 and will more than likely be too old to take another test. If I remember correctly the cutoff age was 35 for taking the last test. So again this will be my only shot.

As far as lawsuits from us. We would have no basis and it would be thrown out. This happened to a group from the 95 test and it was dismissed right away. I personally would not be part of any suit. And any talk of a lawsuit should not be discussed on here. I understand the frustration level but this certainly is not the place for it. No offense to anyone. I just think if anyone was serious about it, it should be talked about in private. Remember, this is the internet and anyone can view what is posted. It could come back to bite ya in the future.

Let's keep our heads up and hope for the best. If I dont get hired I can at least walk away knowing I did everything I was asked to do and I did it right. Just didn't work out.
    Last edited by teddyball; 04-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Forum Member

I guess im the lone voice here but I dont see why the city would be in legal trouble if they went to CPAT, in the womens lawsuit the judge related he may have thrown the whole case out if the city just said they are doing CPAT. Also the test is endorsed by IAFF and IAFC. I think the city has a right to make us redo it without worry of litigation. it has been a while since we took a PAT and as long as we have proper training on it what is the problem. And as to the lawsuits currently going, that is a matter the courts will figure out it is not a done deal by any means. Also the lawsuit only extends back to june 2009 AFTER we took our PAT, so we are before the women i would think. at least the guys waiting for FP. so i guess we will see. keep praying we get on soon!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    I guess im the lone voice here but I dont see why the city would be in legal trouble if they went to CPAT, in the womens lawsuit the judge related he may have thrown the whole case out if the city just said they are doing CPAT. Also the test is endorsed by IAFF and IAFC. I think the city has a right to make us redo it without worry of litigation. it has been a while since we took a PAT and as long as we have proper training on it what is the problem. And as to the lawsuits currently going, that is a matter the courts will figure out it is not a done deal by any means. Also the lawsuit only extends back to june 2009 AFTER we took our PAT, so we are before the women i would think. at least the guys waiting for FP. so i guess we will see. keep praying we get on soon!
    I agree 100% on the the city changing to CPAT. I feel it is their right as well as it has been several years since we took our PAT. I have been keeping myself in shape and think I will be ok. I am just saying I could see people who may not have been keeping themselves in shape suing because they passed the first one. I think if people fail, it is on them. I guess with the years and years of waiting and now seeing possible light at the end of the tunnel, I am being overly cautious. I refuse to let myself get overly excited as I have so many times in the past. If I sound like a downer I apologize. I guess with all the waiting I look for every angle that could possibly mess this up.

Let's hope we hear something soon. Keep focused on the positive until we have a reason to not be positive.

Forum Member

Nah Brother, the cut off age is 38. Currently that exists for both civilian and cross over. It's currently with the City's legal department to have the language change for Cross overs to have that age restriction lifted.

Honestly, if I were you guys, I'd have my Medic license and get on the list for EMS. It makes you more versatile, and it gives you an edge for crossing over. You will be a member, you'll have the paycheck, the time off(24/72), plus furloughs and a **** ton of overtime if you want it. EMS is short handed and with people continuing to file out on retirement, it's going to be difficult to catch up in the next few years. Just sayin.

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Forum Member

FANTASTIC news! Hopefully this next week yields what we've all been waiting for!!!!!!

Forum Member

That sounds like a good source 2ndGen. About as good as you can get.

Let's hope this rings true.
    Last edited by teddyball; 04-14-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Forum Member

While this is obviously great news, it's a little bittersweet for myself. I worry that those of us who took our PAT in march 2010 won't get reached in the list. I think we put the # somewhere near 400 or so who are in the process, and there is only going to be 200 spots for the 2 academies from what I've heard thus far. I guess we'll just have to see, but it looks as though 200 of us will be getting the shaft. Hope I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoblaze View Post
    While this is obviously great news, it's a little bittersweet for myself. I worry that those of us who took our PAT in march 2010 won't get reached in the list. I think we put the # somewhere near 400 or so who are in the process, and there is only going to be 200 spots for the 2 academies from what I've heard thus far. I guess we'll just have to see, but it looks as though 200 of us will be getting the shaft. Hope I'm wrong. Thoughts?

You have to remember those who took the March PAT did so because the city did not get the numbers they needed from the Jan 2010 PAT. Take into account there will be people who will not take the job for various reasons.It has been 4 years since the last class went in. Some people have probably moved on. There are people who dont live in the city and right now trying to sell your home in the burbs to move into the city in time will not be easy. Trust me I purchased a home in Mt. Greenwood last year. I put down the 20% and the loan process was still a nightmare. And my wife and I have excellent credit. And lets face it. Unless you have a spouse who makes a decent amount of money, it will be difficult to hold 2 properties as starting pay for the FD is good but not great by any means.

Long story short I think you should be ok. If projections are the same as when all of us strated the process they will need to go through 300-400 applicants in order to get a class of 100. That may be an even greater number when you factor in CPAT.

Forum Member

Great points. And you're right about the cpat- many won't pass it

Forum Member

I'm just about out of the running for thi sjob, but here is a link to a training regimen for hte CPAT.
    For those that have never taken it...it's harder than it looks, but not "unpassable" by someone in decent shape.
    I really hope the city goes to the CPAT.

http://www.ct.gov/cfpc/lib/cfpc/Cand...Guide_2007.pdf

Forum Member

was looking at this same link an hour ago.....i was even thinking of going on my own to NIPSTA to take the CPAT to get a feel for it.

Hopefullly USPS delivers some news this week......for some reason my gut says so

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Forum Member

2ndGen where did you go to high-school?

Forum Member

Just curious as to what everyone is doing for a workout program/schedule to stay in shape? I've been running 2-3 miles 3 days per week and throwing in a 3 day split weight training regime as well -

Thread Information