Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 386 of 555 FirstFirst ... 286336376383384385386387388389396436486 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,720 of 11085
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Well I asked and no one heard that happened so who knows.

Forum Member

The last thing I heard was the city is looking into pricing and such for the new physical. That may be what is causing a delay. I think the idea is to do CPAT but was not 100%. So maybe they are looking at other options.
    As far as the mayor closing the 2006 list NO ONE I have talked to has heard this. The sentiment being the city would not close our list until it has a new pool of candidates to choose from. That may be the case once the new test is taken and a pool of candidates is available.

Forum Member

Spoke with my contact this morning and here is what he said.

#1 - 2006 list was NOT thrown out.
    #2 - still looking at 2-3 academies off our list then it will be tossed as new test will have already been administered.
    #3 - we may not be doing the CPAT - processing may begin from whatever process we left off at.
    #4 - letters/interest cards by May

Again, take with a grain of salt.

Forum Member

Pretty much heard exactly what Jet's source said from my guy..

Forum Member

Talk about a grain of salt....

My wife's friend that took the PAT in Jan 2010 and FAILED just got a letter from CFD....women class action suit that failed the PAT....getting more info now.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    Talk about a grain of salt....

My wife's friend that took the PAT in Jan 2010 and FAILED just got a letter from CFD....women class action suit that failed the PAT....getting more info now.....

LOL WTF is going on here?

Forum Member

That's old news..i think we'll still be fine..it's a shame that a group of people are literally going to deal with what we have dealt with for the 111..smh

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODE View Post
    That's old news..i think we'll still be fine..it's a shame that a group of people are literally going to deal with what we have dealt with for the 111..smh
    I wonder if CFD is letting them take a new physical.

Forum Member

Ok - more info to clear things up a little. Letter was not from the city.....letter was from an attorney for the class action female suit.

Forum Member

Ok - more info to clear things up a little. Letter was not from the city.....letter was from an attorney for the class action female suit.
    Hopefully telling them to drop the suit. LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Hopefully telling them to drop the suit. LOL
    Now don't get me wrong. If you can perform the job and hold your own (no pun intended) i'm all for it and would gladly work beside anyone wether they be male, female, black, white.....whatever.

But suing to get a career? That just busts my buttons!!!!

Forum Member

Now don't get me wrong. If you can perform the job and hold your own (no pun intended) i'm all for it and would gladly work beside anyone wether they be male, female, black, white.....whatever.

But suing to get a career? That just busts my buttons!!!!
    They really don't have much of a leg to stand on. We all knew well before we took the PAT that we would never know the results. Only pass/fail. I guess that is ok..... unless you failed. I know a lot of people felt they were in too good of shape to fail but it was just as much about following instructions as it was physical strength. so if you didn't follow the instructions, you failed.

Forum Member

They really don't have much of a leg to stand on. We all knew well before we took the PAT that we would never know the results. Only pass/fail. I guess that is ok..... unless you failed. I know a lot of people felt they were in too good of shape to fail but it was just as much about following instructions as it was physical strength. so if you didn't follow the instructions, you failed.
    Or if you failed that suprise **** test. I'll never forget some of the panicked faces i saw.

Anyways, here's to us getting on soon....hopefully! LOL

Forum Member

Not a leg to stand on? I wouldn't be so sure of that. Don't you think there is a reason the city decided to go with the CPAT? The women were not the only group that thought about throwing together a lawsuit. There were quite a few guys, that were planning to cross over that were "failed" that were planning on suing, and rightly so. When you have no oversight by the city, physical therapy students and sports med students giving the test, and no idea, besides following directions on what needs to be complete-sounds a bit suspicious. Anyone that failed that test had a solid leg to stand on. With that said, is a lawsuit the way to get on the job? It wouldn't be my preferred way, however after speaking to many people on the job now, they were all for it.

We could pick it apart even further. Take for example the group of medics that were failed-marathon runners, athletes, all around healthy individuals. However, the overweight, inhaler sucking lard asses that pass. Doesn't something strike you as funny here?

There was nothing very physical about that test. It was the same test used to get on the EMS side with the exception of the hose drag and carry and that really didn't take a feat of strength. And also, just because you can follow instructions, it doesn't make you a firefighter. If the city was smart, they'd set some minimum requirements, just like many other departments-FF II and EMT would be a great start, if not having your medic, hell that would give the guys on the EMS side a great benefit considering most have their FFII. It works in the burbs, but of course it wouldn't work in the city because someone's feelings would be hurt or someone's kid wouldn't get the job. Of course those people that really want the job and are motivated enough to do so, will do what they can to get a job.

Forum Member

I agree 100% with fireparamedic..i personally know 3 people who failed..one i ran a 50 mile marathon with, one girl who was a fitness freak, and another who was as fit as me..it's luck of the draw, and luckily we passed and made it through.

But kids with clout, friends of friends who know people, and so on got through regardless if they passed or not. Id feel slighted too. They're suing not cause they "failed" rather than to show proof they passed and can pass it again with proper people monitoring it. It's a good leg, and i hope they win.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireparamedic View Post
    Not a leg to stand on? I wouldn't be so sure of that. Don't you think there is a reason the city decided to go with the CPAT? The women were not the only group that thought about throwing together a lawsuit. There were quite a few guys, that were planning to cross over that were "failed" that were planning on suing, and rightly so. When you have no oversight by the city, physical therapy students and sports med students giving the test, and no idea, besides following directions on what needs to be complete-sounds a bit suspicious. Anyone that failed that test had a solid leg to stand on. With that said, is a lawsuit the way to get on the job? It wouldn't be my preferred way, however after speaking to many people on the job now, they were all for it.

We could pick it apart even further. Take for example the group of medics that were failed-marathon runners, athletes, all around healthy individuals. However, the overweight, inhaler sucking lard asses that pass. Doesn't something strike you as funny here?

There was nothing very physical about that test. It was the same test used to get on the EMS side with the exception of the hose drag and carry and that really didn't take a feat of strength. And also, just because you can follow instructions, it doesn't make you a firefighter. If the city was smart, they'd set some minimum requirements, just like many other departments-FF II and EMT would be a great start, if not having your medic, hell that would give the guys on the EMS side a great benefit considering most have their FFII. It works in the burbs, but of course it wouldn't work in the city because someone's feelings would be hurt or someone's kid wouldn't get the job. Of course those people that really want the job and are motivated enough to do so, will do what they can to get a job.
    I think the whole test was a joke from the written all the way to the physical. I just dont want to see anything hold this up even further if in fact we are moving further in the process. I wonder if that testing company still has the records.
    I think they should be allowed to take the new physical if thats what we are taking. As far as I am concerned the city basically is saying the last physical was inept. So they should be able re take it. But another lawsuit will do nothing but hold up the process. Then I think the city will absolutely dump this test.

Forum Member

Personally, i think it might be best to just re-test everyone in CPAT form.

Forum Member

It would be smart for the City to not CPAT us, put a class or two in, then retest with CPAT implemented.

If we do CPAT and people fail after we already passed standard physical requirements per the hiring process, it can open a can of worms. Albeit they can throw our list, us included, out as well..but the timetable would be spread too thin to hire. They need us now..put two classes in then start over.

Forum Member

I do agree the whole process needs to be revised/updated.

I cant help but agree with Bode though. Get us on and get us on quick, then revise the process for the next test.

Forum Member

I think all of this talk of our list being thrown out is highly unlikely. Think about it, the city HAS to have a pool of candidates at all times. In case of a catastrophe or any other hiring needs, the city has to be able at any time to start processing people. When they hold a new test and establish a new list, that is when the 2006 pool will be done. Just my opinion

Thread Information