Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 393 of 557 FirstFirst ... 293343383390391392393394395396403443493 ... LastLast
Results 7,841 to 7,860 of 11121
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Congrats to everyone getting processed. I didn't have a chance to take the last fire test but will definately be taking the next one in 2014. I'm on the medic list <90 has anybody heard of another academy for medics starting soon? Last one finished in January. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODE View Post
    I think the highest FP #is 1400's...at least that's what i remember hearing a few years back. Glad to hear it's still going by #'s..
    Yeah I'm glad as well I'm in the low 1500's. Is anyone going for the cpat on their own? I made the decision that I will go with the CFD plan as I believe we get two timed runthroughs before we take the actual CPAT.
    What is everyone doing to prep? I lift weight and I have a backpack with 50lb weights that I carry around. I have being using my basement stairs going up 2 down 2 then keep repeating for 5 minutes. Then I immediately run around with the backpack for a couple minutes followed by weight lifting. A rather crude way but I work my body through the exhaustion and keep going. Just pushing myself. The stairs are no joke. I'm trying to come up with a good way to simulate the ceiling pull and forcible entry. Any ideas?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    What date do you have your orientation on?
    My orientation is on May 10th.

Forum Member

I never got my packet and called CFD and they confirmed they had my address from when I took the written test in 2006, which I haven't lived in since 2008. Anyway, they told me I can come pick up a new packet and told me that my orientation will be on the 8th. Do I need to get this packet ASAP or can I get it later in the week? Just don't really know what's in it and if I have to start working on it ASAP or if I can get it done over the weekend if I grab the packet on Friday.

Forum Member

Id given up on this but just received the letter and a preliminary processing report date of May 10th. I have at no point taken any physical or been contacted by CFD prior to last week. All I have seen on here as been the 8th and 9th - is anyone else going the 10th?

Does anyone have a decent summary or any idea how many people have been contacted for preliminary processing? Just wondering if I am legitimately in the running to make it into a class or being contacted as a precaution to pad the numbers of people in the process and it would impact my decision to buy vs. rent as I wouldnt be able to afford my mortgage if I was to get on with the fire dept.

Also, does anyone know what the Fire Department's policy on outside employment is or can point me to it? I know a lot of firemen have side jobs but is it limited to certain duties, not while on probation, in the academy, etc?

Forum Member

OK, so I am new to this thread...my buddy told me about it. A couple of questions I was hoping you can answer. First, I got my letters like you guys, by don't know what I should do. I was hired full-time with a suburban department about 4 years ago. I make real good money, and work with good guys, but everyone keeps saying that Chicago is the place to be. I will definitely be in this first class, my number is low enough. I just don't know what I should do. Any advice?? Also, my brother-in-law received his packet as well. He turns 38 the end of August. If he starts the process and they don't start a class until Sept, is he still able to be hired on since he started the process before he turned 38?

JMH
    Forum Member

Pat- you will not be able to have another job during the academy and then for the 1st year. I think thats going to be a problem with alot of guys. Alot of people when they took this test 7 years ago could afford to drop their job and make 40k a year. Now 7 years later alot of people cant afford to do that.
    Pat, What number are you?

Cody- I'd personally stay with the suburbs. You probably will make more money and also are not restricted to have to live in the city.

Forum Member

I just picked up my letter today and my date is May 14. So much time has gone by that i don't remember what my number was. does anyone know if there is a way to find out what your number is and are the dates going by number or last name?

Forum Member

It's been a while since I have posted,

But got my letter as well #11xx my day is may 9th, see you there.

Forum Member

Thanks JMH...are you considering passing as well? Does anybody else have any opinions or advice?? Any help would be great.

JMH
    Forum Member

I'm in a similar situation to yours. I'm in the burbs with a dept and I dont think I'll be able to afford to take the pay cut. I've got a few younger kids too, so that makes it even tougher. Working for CFD would be nice, but I also enjoy my current gig.

Forum Member

I say, "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

I say for the guys that have already established themselves in suburban departments, stay where you are at. Especially if you have been on for a few years. Whatever seniority you've earned (pay, vacation, etc) would be wiped out and you would be starting all over in a sense. Especially for those with families and children who may already be established in schools.

But........dreams never come easy nor do they come free. If you want it, come and get it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Pat- you will not be able to have another job during the academy and then for the 1st year. I think thats going to be a problem with alot of guys. Alot of people when they took this test 7 years ago could afford to drop their job and make 40k a year. Now 7 years later alot of people cant afford to do that.
    Pat, What number are you?

Cody- I'd personally stay with the suburbs. You probably will make more money and also are not restricted to have to live in the city.
    JMH, I used to know my number off the top of my head but don't right now. If I can find it, Ill let you know. Yeah, I agree that will be a problem for a lot of guys - I dont have any kids and yet but 7 years ago I would have had a much easier time making starting pay. I know I would like the fire department but I have a well paid, stable, white collar job now and walking away from my current job would be tough. I also dont know how easy finding second employment after a lengthy break would be - at least in what I do.

Forum Member

Does anyone know that if you start the process, and you turn 38 before they start the academy, if you are still allowed to start academy??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_InProcess View Post
    JMH, I used to know my number off the top of my head but don't right now. If I can find it, Ill let you know. Yeah, I agree that will be a problem for a lot of guys - I dont have any kids and yet but 7 years ago I would have had a much easier time making starting pay. I know I would like the fire department but I have a well paid, stable, white collar job now and walking away from my current job would be tough. I also dont know how easy finding second employment after a lengthy break would be - at least in what I do.
    Same boat for me, so it will be interesting to see how many people are ready to continue through the process and accept.

What do you make while in the academy anyway? Level 1 on the pay table shows $50,490, but not sure if that's for someone starting in the academy or if that's what you make upon graduation of the academy.

Forum Member

So it looks like some people have recieved packets up until even the 11th. What numbers are you guys who are coming those days. I'm 23XX and haven't recieved anything yet. Just trying to find out how far uo the list they've gone with the packets

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoblaze View Post
    So it looks like some people have recieved packets up until even the 11th. What numbers are you guys who are coming those days. I'm 23XX and haven't recieved anything yet. Just trying to find out how far uo the list they've gone with the packets
    Have you moved since you took the written exam in 2006? They definitely sent my packet to my address from 2006 and I never received mine, but I called them and I have to pick one up.

Forum Member

erersfsdfdsfdfefeeefefefe
    Last edited by ffdino88; 08-29-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Found my old paperwork and my number is 20XX.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was in the group awaiting final processing. Do we have any idea on the time frame we may be looking at when it comes to CPAT (8 Weeks?) so that puts us at early July, and then what are we hearing for rumors when it comes to a class start dates?

I am also in that same position as some I am in a FT position elsewhere, and debating the whole starting all over thing. so I don't know yet. I am on shift today and just happened to check this I was up north this past week and saw the certified slip in the mailbox it is from CFD the post office said, but I cant get it till tomorrow. Those of you who were awaiting FP are you the 7/8th for orientation or are we spread out over the dates with everyone else?

Thread Information