Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

So im confused as to the investigators role in make the decision as to whether or not one passed BI

The couple of times that I talked to them (once in 2009) they both said that they pass the information along to personnel. Sorry I really dont know if they make the decision or personnel does, or if they have any input what so ever. It just seemed like their job is to collect all the information they can and pass it along.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bagosoxgo View Post
    So im confused as to the investigators role in make the decision as to whether or not one passed BI

The couple of times that I talked to them (once in 2009) they both said that they pass the information along to personnel. Sorry I really dont know if they make the decision or personnel does, or if they have any input what so ever. It just seemed like their job is to collect all the information they can and pass it along.
    Thats what I'm starting to think based on my conversations with my investigator.

I spoke with him on Monday he said he submitted my file but didn't say to whom and once their investigations are complete they are submitted to personnel.

curious who it is submitted to between the time the investigator submits it and personnel receives it, and what goes on there.

Forum Member

My BI told me once he has compiled all the necessary information he submits it to his commissioner, who then meets with the "brass" who evaluates each candidate individually. I don't know who those ppl are that evaluate us after the BI, but they are probably a few steps off of the commissioner. So do they meet everyday?... probably not guys, so once your BI is sent from the investigator it could take a bit to hear back. Take my ramble for what it is.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 10-02-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Forum Member

went to schedule medical today so here are the highlights

-22 people 2 females
    -urine test
    -schedule your medical ... word of advice, to schedule medical is a first come first serve, so the early sign in's get first choice.
    - looks like there is a class for nov 18th, but things may change.
    -things are moving fast, so dont expect letters, expect calls.
    - medical results are coming about 2-4 days after you take them, so they may have more phone calls to make. That also may depend on how people do on the medicals.
    - good news is there will be one more class ... dont know when

hope this helps

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bagosoxgo View Post
    went to schedule medical today so here are the highlights

-22 people 2 females
    -urine test
    -schedule your medical ... word of advice, to schedule medical is a first come first serve, so the early sign in's get first choice.
    - looks like there is a class for nov 18th, but things may change.
    -things are moving fast, so dont expect letters, expect calls.
    - medical results are coming about 2-4 days after you take them, so they may have more phone calls to make. That also may depend on how people do on the medicals.
    - good news is there will be one more class ... dont know when

hope this helps
    Any word or mention of them calling people about there medicals? Did mine 3 weeks ago (9/12)and no word. I know there's 13 others that did medical same week. Hoping no word is a good thing.

Forum Member

she said that no news is good news. if you dont hear anything back in a few days after your medical, your good. the end of the month is when they expect to send letters or make calls.

Forum Member

Jetguy no news is good news. you should have cleared your medical by now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Jetguy no news is good news. you should have cleared your medical by now.
    Sweet - nice to see we're all moving along! Bring on the Quinn!!!

Forum Member

Has anybody happened to been keeping track or happen to know the number of groups who have scheduled medical?

Forum Member

Still haven't received a call yet hopefully it happens this month.

Forum Member

Did anyone hear that the Mayor said today that he is putting the city on a hiring freeze come Jan 1st?? I was just wondering if that was true or not. Also, I know we are all getting excited on here, but I can't help but to keep reminding myself that I was told there was an academy starting right after the Aug 17th class, given a tentative date and everything, and 4 years later still waiting. I am trying to be positive and excited, but also cautious. We keep hearing a class in November and than a 2nd class early next year....but I/WE have been down that road before. Anyone else on here just as skeptical/nervous about not getting in the Nov class and than getting a kick in the rear for another long wait or a new test???

Forum Member

Goldie - no worries on the hiring freeze. Police and Fire are not affected.

Were golden.......goldie

Forum Member

So I heard from someone who knows an Instructor down at the Quinn, and he said that the brass told the instructors that this new class will be between 80-100 candidates, followed by 20 cross-over paramedics for a total class of 100-120. That the class of 150 was just too hard to manage and rotate people. So anyone who has been crunching the numbers, what do you think this means for us processing??

Forum Member

Thanks Jetguy...just trying to not get let down again. And Newguy, that makes sense, because my roommate was in the last class, and they were just shy of 8 months because with a 150 people (even before the cross-overs) they kept getting delayed with their EMT license test and falling all over each other in the drill all, changing, hand-ons and moving people around, that he said the city is trying to keep it at no more than 100-120 with the medics...at least that is what he is hearing from guys he knows.

Forum Member

Spoke with bi today said she was done turned it in hope to hear soon

JMH
    Forum Member

How many groups have been called for medical so far? 5 or 6?

about 20 in each of those classes. Some of those people were chicago emt's too I believe.

With this last group going thats probably right on of about 130-140 with a few not making it threw.

Forum Member

So I just heard from my BI. She says she had some trouble tracking down some of my previous employers for verification. Did any of you run into this issue? She asked if I was able to go on the social security website and request an employment statement/history. Did you guys have to do this and were you able to get this info off the website, or am I better off going in there? Who knows if they're even open with the government shutdown. The neverending process continues. Cold beers are definetely in order when this is all said and done

Forum Member

]So I just heard from my BI. She says she had some trouble tracking down some of my previous employers for verification. Did any of you run into this issue? She asked if I was able to go on the social security website and request an employment statement/history. Did you guys have to do this and were you able to get this info off the website, or am I better off going in there? Who knows if they're even open with the government shutdown. The neverending process continues. Cold beers are definetely in order when this is all said and done

I had a same situation, a job from a while back didnt remember me so they told me that i can go to the social security office and get a copy of my past wages, not sure if that would have the actual job or get a copy of your old W-2's. i think they only go 5 yrs maybe online. Another thing that you can do, i did ask and they said it was ok, was to go down there and maybe jog their memory and call down to the BI and let them know that yes you did work there. here is the address for the irs ... http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript hope it helps

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    How many groups have been called for medical so far? 5 or 6?

about 20 in each of those classes. Some of those people were chicago emt's too I believe.

With this last group going thats probably right on of about 130-140 with a few not making it threw.
    You think that many groups have gone? I only remember about 2 or 3 groups actually posting the number of people in their group.

JMH
    Forum Member

I actually remember 2 or 3 so far too, just thought I might have missed some.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I actually remember 2 or 3 so far too, just thought I might have missed some.
    Yea all I honestly remember off the top of my head is the 14-16 group and this recent 20 group.

Forum Member

Blaze same issue here too... Humm I was kinda thrown off by it because the last investor didn't seem to have the same problem. Next problem is you can't get it from ssi office.. she just wants the earnings statement have to print off internet.. due to gov shut down..
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 10-04-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Forum Member

I know it's too late now, but I called all my previous employers (fired or quit without notice) and gave them a heads up. BI just left my house and said I was one of her easier ones.

Forum Member

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted. I have talked to my buddy the same one who gave me the CPAT info that I shared with all of you. He said that having your Illinois EMT Basic or Paramedic will make things easier for you once the balls starts really rolling. To his knowledge should be very soon.

So if you are from out of state start getting your reciprocity application started. As far as the govt shut down crap goes. I have a web site that might help you look for additional work histories.

http://www.theworknumber.com/

I had to use this web site recently and it had record of 2 jobs I had back in 2000 and 2001.

I wish all of you good luck! I have all the confidence in the world that none of you have anything to worry about. Unless of course your birthday comes up and your too old. Which I believe if you have made it this far you should be finalized and allowed to be in the academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrog View Post
    Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted. I have talked to my buddy the same one who gave me the CPAT info that I shared with all of you. He said that having your Illinois EMT Basic or Paramedic will make things easier for you once the balls starts really rolling. To his knowledge should be very soon.

So if you are from out of state start getting your reciprocity application started. As far as the govt shut down crap goes. I have a web site that might help you look for additional work histories.

http://www.theworknumber.com/

I had to use this web site recently and it had record of 2 jobs I had back in 2000 and 2001.

I wish all of you good luck! I have all the confidence in the world that none of you have anything to worry about. Unless of course your birthday comes up and your too old. Which I believe if you have made it this far you should be finalized and allowed to be in the academy.
    What's your sources background who said that about having EMT?

Thread Information