Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Well, I don't have my EMT-B so hopefully it doesn't slow me down. Since it wasn't a requirement for hire I don't think it will. But I bet it would help while taking EMT-B in the academy. Would be one less thing to worry about.

Forum Member

That's pretty much what my sources have even telling me for months. It only helps to get familiar with everything instead if stressing over it during the process. But I refused to spend the money when inhabitants no clue whether I would even get a letter let alone a job. Lol

Forum Member

Reliable. Since he was spot on about the CPAT. He has been involved in EMS training. He was an adjunct instructor for the 111 group. He will also be there when it comes for the next academy and the EMT portion of the acedemy comes around. I have asked for specific dates on the academy and he wasn't sure.

He was 100% certain that there is 1 academy going to start this year. He was also informed of his appointment to be an adjunct for the 111 class 1 week before the start of ems training.

I asked specifically about by passing if you're already certified and he laughed. So you will have to go through ems training but you don't have to take any test that certifies you with the state of illinois unless of course you never had EMT.

Forum Member

Oh really! See I was told regardless that the CFD would want you certified trough them. At least that was my understanding and the reason I never did it.

Forum Member

teddyball,

I wouldn't think that not having EMT would slow down the notification of being accepted. My buddy is on shift tonight so as soon as I can talk with him I can ask but I'm sure he will say he doesn't know. Having EMS background will help during the academy but it won't excuse you from that part of training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrog View Post
    teddyball,

I wouldn't think that not having EMT would slow down the notification of being accepted. My buddy is on shift tonight so as soon as I can talk with him I can ask but I'm sure he will say he doesn't know. Having EMS background will help during the academy but it won't excuse you from that part of training.
    Understood. Thanks Jrog. I knew a few EMT-B's who had to take it again when in the academy last time. Thanks for the insight!

Forum Member

Shadez,

Once you get through the academy CFD liscense's you once you are a member. You can be a liscensed emt in illinois with no affiliation. After the acedemy you will become an affiliated registered member with CFD.

So if you're out of state and apply for reciprocity you can become a liscensed provider who is un-affiliated and would have to become affiliated with someone in a certain time frame but I am not sure how long that time frame is.

Either way you will be getting EMS training in the acedemy.

Also I can see why you hadn't gotten an EMT liscense that's reasonable, all having an EMT does for you is helps during the academy. When I got hired on with my current Illinois dept I applied for reciprocity during my academy and part of my ems portion of the academy was a protocol test. Not the State of Illinois liscensing test.

Hope that clears up some of the mud.

Forum Member

Well I'm a paramedic so that sure as **** would help me! But I'll believe it when it see it. Thanks guys who answered my question above

Forum Member

blaze

If you're a med in illinois you should be good.

If out of state here is a link for reciprocity application.

http://www.luc.edu/ems/pdfs/EMT_Reciprocity_App.pdf

Forum Member

Thanks for the breakdown, jrog.

Forum Member

Hey guys! Got a call from my investigator for my BI today. Didn't really get much info other than they are still calling! I'm exited that they finally called. My last names starts with V. Handed in my CPat early June. I'm a vet.

Forum Member

3br apartment in roscoe village for rent 1475 ready for move in now if anyone needs to get into the city. Call 708-860-0769. Good luck. I hear that the class is for sure Nov 1.

Forum Member

Thanks- KS21- I hope that it starts in Nov 1st. See you next weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by ks21 View Post
    3br apartment in roscoe village for rent 1475 ready for move in now if anyone needs to get into the city. Call 708-860-0769. Good luck. I hear that the class is for sure Nov 1.

Forum Member

I was told last week 2 more groups to complete Medical before the start date..and that they can be done up to a week before starting..this should be interesting.

Forum Member

Yea my buddy that got on in the last true class to go through off the list was called 2 or 3 weeks prior to the class starting and had to get everything done within a 3 week span. Lucky for him he was not working at the time and was able to do everything they asked of him. I guess some guys deferred to wait until the next class for whatever reason so there was a group of guys that got the opportunity really late in the process. So it can be done.

Forum Member

Sounds like they will be calling more people for BI in order to fill the class. Fingers crossed for those of you waiting for BI. Hopefully I hear for medical soon.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Sounds like they will be calling more people for BI in order to fill the class. Fingers crossed for those of you waiting for BI. Hopefully I hear for medical soon.
    How long ago did you get the initial call for bi.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chigo23 View Post
    How long ago did you get the initial call for bi.
    Almost 2 weeks ago. Home visit was a week and a half ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Almost 2 weeks ago. Home visit was a week and a half ago.
    Same here, hoping to schedule medical next or the week after next.

Forum Member

Waiting for medical call. Hope shortly.

Forum Member

Same here. Its been 10 days since BI.

Forum Member

Man I hope it comes fast.. getting close to cut off
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

Its getting harder to come to work and actually work. lol

Forum Member

I know how you feel. Right now I'm just happy to have a job that understands what I'm doing.
    airforcefiredawg likes this.

Forum Member

Is the BI suppose to call you when they are done with the investigation? Or do they give your packet to personnel? Waiting for medical call as well.

Thread Information