Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 394 of 554 FirstFirst ... 294344384391392393394395396397404444494 ... LastLast
Results 7,861 to 7,880 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

FP'er on the 8th..

Forum Member

NS- I am may 9th at 930 am, my # is 13X2- I took my PAT March of 2009- I also had background check in Aug of 09. So I believe I am close to final processing - do not know if that helps but that is my case.
    Good Luck.

Forum Member

Speculating that there would indeed be an October academy, what is everyone's opinion of a start date?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pb1847 View Post
    NS- I am may 9th at 930 am, my # is 13X2- I took my PAT March of 2009- I also had background check in Aug of 09. So I believe I am close to final processing - do not know if that helps but that is my case.
    Good Luck.
    To me, there doesn't appear to be any sort of order as to how the dates are assigned.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, it doesn't appear like there is any real order to the dates, but thanks for the help. I just hope it isn't the 9th!
    As for October being a date of an academy to me that does seem like a possibility, but not likely. We have all seen them hurry when they need to to get things going and many other times we have seen it drag out for years before hearing a word even. Especially if they process the group that are awaiting final processing and just confirming backgrounds in 2 months or so. Since it takes less time to confirm a background check with a previous as opposed to processing a completely new one with a new candidate.
    New question will they be able to throw in a medical before OCT though? Because the last time there was drug tests was over 2 years roughly?. We all know how many of those we've done.. I would probably expect drug tests on our orientation dates. (I haven't seen the letter yet so maybe it even says that).

Forum Member

Got my packet, going downtown on may 9th. probably do my cpat on may 23rd. The cpat doesnt seem that hard, the weight may seem much, but the 3 min stair climber at a level 3, isnt that bad. that is almost a level of 6 month pregnant lady going up the steps. Everywork out (doing two a days) starts off with a 5 min stair climb at a level 6 and i finish every workout at a level 3. Basically doing alot of shoulders and back. Anything that requires me to raise my shoulders, im doing.
    Anyways my process came to a grinding halt of the summer 2009, was waiting on the background. Hopefully everything goes good.

Forum Member

I just saw the October date flying around earlier, so that's why I was asking because my wedding is October 5. Just was wondering if there happened to be one in October when it would likely start, didn't know if it's typically first Monday in month or what. Been a long time waiting, so though this new packet is nice to see something, we have all been through processing before without anything.

I'm wondering where the heck they pulled the addresses from. I would assume they had a computer database of such things, however I got my interest card, PAT reporting letter, and PAT results letter at my correct address, which I changed, yet this new packet went to my 7 year old address from when I took the written, which I haven't lived at in 5 years and it seems as if I'm not alone in this. Obviously not everyone in the process is on this forum or has a friend going through it, so that alone has to cut out guys.

I don't want to downplay the CPAT as people shouldn't take it lightly, but yes, if you're in shape and can follow instruction, you should be able to pass.

MembersZone Subscriber

Orientation the 7th. Sounds like its with all the paperwork everyone else got. I haven't done the CPAT before, but will have to hit those specific tasks hard in the next few weeks to assure my workout program has been where I needed it to be.

I ordered a 50 pound weight vest the day I got the letter. It arrived yesterday and my wife thought she would just pick up the package and carry it in. I got home and the package was still outside waiting for me. I haven't worked out in quite some time but stay active through leagues I play in and indoor basketball. Let me tell you 50lbs is no joke. I don't have a gym membership so I dusted off the treadmill and set the incline up to 15 and walked on the incline with the vest on for 7 minutes before my calves caught on fire. Happy training!!!

Forum Member

Just so you're aware, you actually have 75 lbs on you for the first exercise, which is the stair climb and then 50 lbs for the remaining 7.

Forum Member

does anyone know what the ladder test consists of? That is the only one that i quite didnt understand.

Well aware of it. Thanks!

I just wanted to get comfortable lugging around 50lbs. Once I do that the extra 25 isn't going to bother me. I just didn't want to go into it completely shocked. It's one thing to carry 50lbs and another to lug it around for 10+ minutes while doing the excercises.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bagosoxgo View Post
    does anyone know what the ladder test consists of? That is the only one that i quite didnt understand.
    There's a ladder lying on the floor, perpendicular to the wall. You walk the ladder one rung at a time with your hand touching each rung until you stand it up against the wall. Then you move over to the second ladder standing and must extend the ladder all the way up and then back down, remaining in control of the ladder the entire time.

Youtube CPAT and you'll see a video of all the exercises.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pb1847 View Post
    Good Luck.
    I'm a 2010 PAT, I'm a little confused I guess.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 05-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Well aware of it. Thanks!

I just wanted to get comfortable lugging around 50lbs. Once I do that the extra 25 isn't going to bother me. I just didn't want to go into it completely shocked. It's one thing to carry 50lbs and another to lug it around for 10+ minutes while doing the excercises.
    No doubt. Like I said, this test is definitely passable, but you have to be prepared.

Forum Member

There are three "ladder" tests. Two of which are explained above that are part of the actual CPAT. The other one is after the CPAT and is a separate test to the CPAT. All it consists of is a 35 footer tossed against a wall that you have to climb up, ring a bell and climb down. It's just to demonstrate you aren't afraid of heights and you can "work" off a ladder. It's cake, but seriously go to youtube and find the IAFF sponsored instructional video.

Forum Member

Yeah, just like so many of you, I just don't know what to do. My number is low enough I will be in the first class if I take it, but than I am already full-time in the burbs. I stopped by a firehouse downtown today and talked to some of the guys. They said that even with the mayor wanting to go down to 4 man companies, they are still hurting for the manpower downtown. That house alone had over 30 openings between the engine and the truck. they said that the district chief told them that almost all of this class would be heading downtown because they are so short and need young guys don there for the high rises. That is another issue...do I really want to go downtown and deal with the high rises fires??? I am also nervous about what the guys said pertaining to the pension. They said the mayor wants to put anyone new coming on or guys with less that 10 years to a 401K...they said that will probably be in the next contract....that would suck to lose a pension.....just don't know WTF to do....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1998 View Post
    Yeah, just like so many of you, I just don't know what to do. My number is low enough I will be in the first class if I take it, but than I am already full-time in the burbs. I stopped by a firehouse downtown today and talked to some of the guys. They said that even with the mayor wanting to go down to 4 man companies, they are still hurting for the manpower downtown. That house alone had over 30 openings between the engine and the truck. they said that the district chief told them that almost all of this class would be heading downtown because they are so short and need young guys don there for the high rises. That is another issue...do I really want to go downtown and deal with the high rises fires??? I am also nervous about what the guys said pertaining to the pension. They said the mayor wants to put anyone new coming on or guys with less that 10 years to a 401K...they said that will probably be in the next contract....that would suck to lose a pension.....just don't know WTF to do....
    Dang, this pension deal could be a deal breaker for some. Well I guess this is going to take some looking into.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    Dang, this pension deal could be a deal breaker for some. Well I guess this is going to take some looking into.
    Not that your information isn't valid, but pensions are constantly under scrutiny and on the edge of being cut among all organizations, not just CFD and not just Chicago. I'm not saying I wouldn't love a pension, but the system is archaic and doesn't work.

Thread Information