Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 395 of 552 FirstFirst ... 295345385392393394395396397398405445495 ... LastLast
Results 7,881 to 7,900 of 11028
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any links to this pension deal? I can't say I have heard much more than the few posts on here, and I also will have to do some research into it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NSFire473 View Post
    Anyone have any links to this pension deal? I can't say I have heard much more than the few posts on here, and I also will have to do some research into it.
    What I know off the top of my head just talking with a few guys that work in the area is that it is currently a two tier system. We already wouldn't have the bennies that a 15 year guy would, however I don't the language, nor if even the second tier would still out shine other systems. I guess what I'm saying is the second tier could still be a very healthy pension deal. I think I'd still rather be a Chicago Fireman, awesome pension or not, just have to do some digging.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 04-30-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Forum Member

I am trying to find something online...The one guy at the firehouse was a union steward...he said this is what the big red flags are for their new contract....everyone with less than 10 year will be transferred to a 401K plan, 4 man companies instead of 5 and all their "specialty" pay and getting holiday pay even when you are off is all going away. You will only get haz-mat tech A or diver pay if you are on a haz-mat or dive company. You will also only receive holiday pay when you actually work the holiday. I guess now if the holiday falls on your shift, but you are on vacation or a daley day, you still get the holiday check. They said that looks like it will be changed to only receiving it if you actually work the holiday.

Forum Member

Obviously there will be negotiations and the city will say we want to cut pension, cut manning, cut holiday pay, etc and then the union will fight for all these things and eventually they will meet somewhere. Obviously though there is typically give and take in negotiations, so you can expect changes from what the current FF enjoy. I honestly would not be shocked to see new hires get put into a 401k system though, not in the slightest. It would be ridiculous if the city cut manning and kept the pension and would just further prove the idiotic political system.

Also, look over the recent debate and legislation regarding teacher pensions as this is in the news a lot over the last year and you can definitely see how FF can see similar action against them. No 401k for the teachers to date, though they were also many people pushing for that, but they have made cuts.
    Last edited by Dalsh321; 04-30-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Not that your information isn't valid, but pensions are constantly under scrutiny and on the edge of being cut among all organizations, not just CFD and not just Chicago. I'm not saying I wouldn't love a pension, but the system is archaic and doesn't work.
    I hate to go off topic and spring a political debate here, but i'm afraid you've been misinformed and drunken the Kool-Aid sir. One-tier pension sytems do work. What doesn't work is the misuse of taxpayer dollars which we as taxpayers don't seem to able to control.

Would you rather give money to someone able-bodied who chooses not to work, or invest it towards employing the most qualified cop or firefighter that could potentially save you and your families life?

Forum Member

double post
    Last edited by ffdino88; 09-24-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    I hate to go off topic and spring a political debate here, but i'm afraid you've been misinformed and drunken the Kool-Aid sir. One-tier pension sytems do work. What doesn't work is the misuse of taxpayer dollars which we as taxpayers don't seem to able to control.

Would you rather give money to someone able-bodied who chooses not to work, or invest it towards employing the most qualified cop or firefighter that could potentially save you and your families life?
    I'm not exactly certain as to what you mean by a one-tier pension.

I personally just don't see how a defined benefit plan in this system is a recipe for success. You are promising a benefit regardless of the investment's success. Then you add in the shrinking workforce, which equates to less contributors versus the growing retirement class, creating increased liabilities. Really just don't see how it is sustainable in the current state. Misuse of tax dollars has nothing to do with the fact that in 2009 there were 5137 contributors to the pension and 4432 beneficiaries and in 2011 there were 4842 contributors and 4478 beneficiaries and those numbers are what is alarming to me regarding the sustainability of a pension.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    I agree with you Harry, many pension systems around the country are solvent and healthy such as mine. It seems that politicians and the media want to demonize what many before us have built, when in all reality they, the politicians, are the root of evil that got pensions in this mess to begin with. I guess we just have to hope they don't drop to 4 man companies so we can at least have a chance to be apart of a crappy pension system lol... But all joking aside lets concentrate on the process and get back to topic, it's a moot point to talk pensions when a good majority of us may not make the cut.
    Well for the record, I don't care about the pensions that work, I'm talking about the CFD pension, I thought that's what this forum was discussing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Well for the record, I don't care about the pensions that work, I'm talking about the CFD pension, I thought that's what this forum was discussing.
    No, this forum is hiring and employment discussion, not pension and retention discussion but I digress. My point to all of this is that if the pension obligations where met by the city, like many others around the country have been, then this wouldn't be an issue, thus making Harrys and I point that a single tier system works, which you seem to think is archaic and out dated.

Enough pension talk fellas, back to topic?

P.S. if you wanna talk pensions go to fireside chat, you'll get your fill.

JMH
    Forum Member

curious, what was the last number that actually was called for a hire?

Basically whats the best possible number right now?

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    curious, what was the last number that actually was called for a hire?

Basically whats the best possible number right now?
    Late 1100's is the lowest number I've read on here.

Forum Member

my brother-in-laws friend was in the low 1200s, and he was hired in the Aug 2009 class

Forum Member

i was at Clinton st. yesterday because they sent my packet to old address. FYI anyone who needs info call 312-745-3705. talk to Ms. Hammond. she said the highest # they called was around 2800. i did jan 2010 PAT & im 19**. im going in may 9th. what are my odds of getting in first academy ?

Forum Member

I think the FP group with crossovers and vets got the first Class locked up..

I have to agree with Bode. However, with some guys perhaps never getting the letter, the age factor and a few that have the tough decision of whether to jump at the opportunity or stay where they currently work...there may be a handful of us January 2010 PATers getting a spot in that first class.

If they sent letters to the 2800 numbers they must be expecting a ton of people didn't receive the letter, will not be interested or will fail the CPAT.
    Last edited by Shadez; 04-30-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODE View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head dude.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 05-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Forum Member

here is a question...guys who have past the PAT test given back in 2009 and 2010...if any of these people fail the CPAT and are denied the job, do you think there will be lawsuits?? I mean we all did take the PAT that the first 5 classes off the list took and passed that...is changing things up in the middle fair???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODE View Post
    Yeah that sounds right. Maybe a few from the Jan 2010 PAT since so much time has passed. But remember there are a lot of people who didn't pass the original PAT who have been invited to take the CPAT so who knows.

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 07:48 PM.

I personally think this whole process has been a crap shoot from the get go. None of us came into this process on day one thinking we were going to get this job and we all knew the politics, ect. that has gone on in the past. The fact I've come this close and did everything I could possibly do to get this job is more satisfying than anything. If I don't get this job that's been a long time dream of mine I'll put it up there with the rest of my childhood dreams like being a basketball and baseball player and mark it off the list of things that just weren't meant for me to be.

The good thing is we can only take it one day at a time and as of today we all of the opportunity to live a dream and we should all put our focus and energy on passing the CPAT.

Thread Information