Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 396 of 556 FirstFirst ... 296346386393394395396397398399406446496 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,920 of 11107
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

I keep seeing people asking what "group" might be going in first (FP, PAT'ers, etc.) - i think the "groups" mentioned are now null and void as we all have to process all over again.

With the time that has passed, guys/gals not moving forward with pursuing the opportunity, and now people that will fail CPAT, i think those "groups" will change since we are all basically starting over in the process.
    Shadez likes this.

JMH
    Forum Member

I think your pretty much right. With that being said, the people that were close to getting through, still will be towards the front of the line based on their numbers.

Forum Member

It's all still number based..even though we're processing again, it doesn't mean people are going ahead of others..er, it better not be!

Hahaha Who the hell knows how its going to go down. I never thought I would have to take the PAT over again so any theory of how this plays out could be true.

Forum Member

Any thoughts on what exactly we are doing at the orientation, which is going to take most of the day as it states in the letter? Drug Screening?

Forum Member

Im going down on the 7th so whatever i can find out i'll post - one thing is for sure, it's going to be a wild ride!!!!

JMH
    Forum Member

In regards to the CPAT

Has anyone looked in to if we go on our own (say this month) and for some reason fail. Will it be held against us when we report for the CPAT test scheduled through the city.

I'm potentially looking to do it on my own, just as a safety net/practice run, but dont want to get in trouble for doing that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    In regards to the CPAT

Has anyone looked in to if we go on our own (say this month) and for some reason fail. Will it be held against us when we report for the CPAT test scheduled through the city.

I'm potentially looking to do it on my own, just as a safety net/practice run, but dont want to get in trouble for doing that
    You get three runs at the CPAT. 2 are practice, 1 counts. Should any of your practice runs fall within the passing time, it counts, you pass, your done. Basically, your given enough chances to NOT fail.....so long as you train.

You have atleast 3 weeks (maybe more) to prep.

Failing shouldn't even be a consideration. Start hitting the stairs, cardio, weights NOW.

Over prep yourself. If they want 75lbs on the stairs for 3:20, then train with 80lbs for 5 mins......this job is all about training for the absolute worst....and being ready for when the s*** hits the fan. Training for the CPAT should follow the same way.

Just my $0.02

Forum Member

asdfdasfasdfdfdsadf
    Last edited by ffdino88; 08-29-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    You get three runs at the CPAT. 2 are practice, 1 counts. Should any of your practice runs fall within the passing time, it counts, you pass, your done. Basically, your given enough chances to NOT fail.....so long as you train.

You have atleast 3 weeks (maybe more) to prep.

Failing shouldn't even be a consideration. Start hitting the stairs, cardio, weights NOW.

Over prep yourself. If they want 75lbs on the stairs for 3:20, then train with 80lbs for 5 mins......this job is all about training for the absolute worst....and being ready for when the s*** hits the fan. Training for the CPAT should follow the same way.

Just my $0.02
    Now that is the way to look at this situation. Over train. Pass CPAT. Move on.
    Then on to the next obstacle.

JMH
    Forum Member

Yeah I agree as long as you train (which I am) you should be good. Just was curious on how that would work

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Yeah I agree as long as you train (which I am) you should be good. Just was curious on how that would work
    Get those "what ifs" out of your mindset.......train and pass it on your first practice run.

Forum Member

Get those "what ifs" out of your mindset.......train and pass it on your first practice run.
    Seriously guys the CPAT isn't hard, just be prepared and don't hype yourself up. Half the battle is just not psyching yourself out on the stairs portion. BTW I did see a few guys that looked in good shape fail the CPAT last month, so I gotta wonder if nerves played a role.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    Seriously guys the CPAT isn't hard, just be prepared and don't hype yourself up. Half the battle is just not psyching yourself out on the stairs portion. BTW I did see a few guys that looked in good shape fail the CPAT last month, so I gotta wonder if nerves played a role.
    Just don't over think it. Your there to do simple tasks....keep mouth shut and ears wide open, listen to the instructions, and just do what needs to be done.

From what i hear, CFD personnel will not even be proctoring it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireparamedic View Post
    This is general knowledge with people on the job. All you have to do is speak with a union rep. It's with the city's legal department right now. It's just a matter of changing some language, which doesn't have to wait for the contract negotiations to be settled.
    I have friends and family on the job who have mentioned it (some haven't heard it) but thought maybe you had seen or heard something official somewhere. Would be great if they did that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    No doubt, it's all about prep. I mean, you could seem/be in great shape, but how many people are used to climbing 15 flights of stairs with an extra 75 lbs of weight?

Forum Member

Yeah I know it wasn't for me and I finally have a stable well paying job. I have nothing for respect for you guys good luck.

Forum Member

Just making sure my eyes see the same.....we do not need to bring the background packet with us, filled out, for orientation?

Forum Member

Just making sure my eyes see the same.....we do not need to bring the background packet with us, filled out, for orientation?
    I saw the same thing. I'm sure they'll make us all take another day off of work to turn those in sometime later.

Forum Member

Just realized on top of all the PT i'm doing to get ready, perhaps this could be used as an excuse to the wife about why i need to golf more......"Honey it's perfect training....lugging around a 40+ lb golf bag on my back for 18 holes.....you do want me to pass the CPAT right?"

Shadez likes this.

Thread Information