Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 399 of 554 FirstFirst ... 299349389396397398399400401402409449499 ... LastLast
Results 7,961 to 7,980 of 11079
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Please outline where I showed any disrespect. He asked our opinions, and I gave him mine. He has repeatedly posted about his reluctance to get on. I figured by telling him i'm willing to give up a a good federal job without second thought, that he might have more conviction about his decision.

If he's looking for cheerleaders to get him to that point, he came to the wrong place. There are people (FP guys, PAT guys) who revolved their lives around the premise that they would be on CFD, and I dont think they're feeling any sympathy for him right now. Everyone sacrifices something.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 05-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    pb1847 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post

Please outine where I showed any disrespect. He asked our opinions, and I gave him mine. He has repeatedly posted about his reluctance to get on. I figured by telling him i'm willing to give up a a good federal job without second thought, that he might have more conviction about his decision.

If he's looking for cheerleaders to get him to that point, he came to the wrong place. There are people (FP guys, PAT guys) who revolved their lives around the premise that they would be on CFD, and I dont think they're feeling any sympathy for him right now. Everyone sacrifices something.
    I was waiting on your response Harry and I agree. Cody has definitely shown that he is unsure of his decision, and there's nothing wrong with that, but, for you to say he is wishy washy seemed pretty darn factual to me and not offensive or disrespectful. I agree that you either want it or you don't.

My thoughts on Cody are that if you have a good job that you like that you have already earned rank, benefits, etc, as you suggest and you prefer the burbs, then why would you leave? To me, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Harry is basically saying that if you were all about Chicago, come and get it and you will have deserved/earned it, but if you're not sure, why just "try it out," instead stay where you are at if you are happy.
    ffdino88, Shadez, pb1847 and 1 others like this.

Forum Member

Please outline where I showed any disrespect. He asked our opinions, and I gave him mine. He has repeatedly posted about his reluctance to get on. I figured by telling him i'm willing to give up a a good federal job without second thought, that he might have more conviction about his decision.

I think it was harry that laid it out for me also, do it or don't, its up to you. I took it as i need to decide for myself and not get the opinion of strangers on the internet.

On another topic, jetguy you're suiting up?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    I think it was harry that laid it out for me also, do it or don't, its up to you. I took it as i need to decide for myself and not get the opinion of strangers on the internet.

I will also be suiting up.

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Yea the thought of myself having to **** in a cup while wearing a suit kind of made me chuckle. I'll most likely wear some dress pants with a dress shirt. Definitely not wearing a suit. Nothing wrong with it though if that's how you roll. lol

Forum Member

Ok, so the packet states that we need to bring in the required paperwork, ball point pen, medical release, etc, but it does not state that we need to bring in the background packet completed. I'm assuming that because it was not listed, we don't have to bring it in ( which would give us more time to track down info for the background) Just wanted to get your guys' opinion on this. Are you planning on showing up with everything or just what is listed?

Forum Member

Yep......jetguy's suiting up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoblaze View Post
    Ok, so the packet states that we need to bring in the required paperwork, ball point pen, medical release, etc, but it does not state that we need to bring in the background packet completed. I'm assuming that because it was not listed, we don't have to bring it in ( which would give us more time to track down info for the background) Just wanted to get your guys' opinion on this. Are you planning on showing up with everything or just what is listed?
    Correct, background packet does not need to be completed. When I picked up my packet, I asked them about it and they said if you have it done, you can bring it, but it won't be required/needed until the next stage of processing.

Forum Member

Strongly suggest others suit up as well. But hey, to each their own.

Looking from the inside out, if i had a pool of hopeful candidates that have been waiting for going on 7 years coming into my dept /academy.......you better have the decency to show you took the time to look professional and not as if your dressing for just another day in an office.

Just my $0.02

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Correct, background packet does not need to be completed. When I picked up my packet, I asked them about it and they said if you have it done, you can bring it, but it won't be required/needed until the next stage of processing.
    Thanks Dalsh. Also, anyone else having a doc evaluate them on such short notice. I guess it's my ****ty HMO I should be blaming. One of those times I really wish had a friend who was a doc..

Forum Member

Thanks Dalsh. Also, anyone else having a doc evaluate them on such short notice. I guess it's my ****ty HMO I should be blaming. One of those times I really wish had a friend who was a doc..
    I agree with wishing I had a friend to just sign the thing, but I'm just going to a damn clinic this weekend and getting them to sign off on me, couldn't get into the doc on such short notice.

I called my Doc the same day I picked the letter up from the post office and he got me in the very next day. Did they ask you what you wanted to come in for? Usually for something like this they'll fit you in real quick because its only a 10-15 minunte process.

Forum Member

I think they are just getting a head count from this initial processing next week, then once they figure out the numbers they have that are interested in the job, then they'll send out letters again

BTW I'll be suiting up as well. Dress like you mean it guys, actually on the other hand don't so I look better than the rest of you.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 10-18-2013 at 12:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Harry,
    I cannot agree with you more I wish nothing more than for those that took the exam just to take it and who don't feel whole heartedly about it to move On. Which I can tell with certainty that you are in it for the long haul, and I wish nothing more than if any of us really want it we get it, and believe me I feel all of your frustration about this process. What I am talking about is there are a good majority of us from #1 to 17,???? Who went out and got our emt, medic, cpat, and ff 2 trying to become firefighters/medics any way possible and with any one who will take us, and what we found is that this is the most competitive job ever, which Cody conquered, and that is what I speak to, because for some of us we went out and became medics signed up on the cities medic list only to get dealt a bad number by a computer. So I agree with you for those out there that are standing by and they are not 100% than they can move on. Again I apologize because some of my frustration may be reflected in my words and you are right we all have our own unique sacrifices, and I truly want to say thank you to all for posting all your solid information about the processing here for those of us waiting in the wings.

Forum Member

I got doc appt. day before my orientation, also I guess I need to find my suit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    I think they are just getting a head count from this initial processing next week, then once they figure out the numbers they have that are interested in the job, then they'll send out letters again, IN ORDER to report with background packet done to move forward in the process, after CPAT results of course. That way they don't have to process guys like me at 21**, with my CPAT done already if they see they have the numbers required from #'s 1200 to 1800 with a passing CPAT. Hope I'm not stating the obvious but looks as if this go around is just a head count/CPAT to me, then go from there. Which I can't wait to figure out/find out how many people show interest and where I fall in there, then of course people that fail the CPAT and the final numbers. Because realistically at 21** I think I'm a long shot here.

BTW I'll be suiting up as well. Dress like you mean it guys, actually on the other hand don't so I look better than the rest of you.
    Good call Dino. Still have no clue why this is going to take 3 hours this week?

Forum Member

I will also be suiting up.
    Yeah I am going to wear a suit as well.
    I dont think it's required but I would rather be over-dressed. I would hate to get tossed for not being dressed properly. LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Yeah I am going to wear a suit as well.
    I dont think it's required but I would rather be over-dressed. I would hate to get tossed for not being dressed properly. LOL
    Honestly guys, you should not feel over dressed in a suit. Business attire to me means dark dress pants, a dress shirt, and tie at minimum. Business casual means you can wear some khakis and ditch the tie, so to me a suit is not close to over dressed.

Forum Member

Hey guys...
    I talked to a Mrs. Hammond yesterday (twice) and she told me that the age limit for civlians is still in effect.
    Must be 37 years and 364 days old by the first day of the academy. This round of processing, everyone is basically starting from scratch, but still going by your given number.
    So, if you were part of the final proc. group, you'll be in this first academy class and so forth.
    I didn't even get a packet because I'll be 38 in mid June so they didn't even bother with me.
    I've waited 4 years for nothing! Pretty disappointed, as much as I tried not to want this jobs anymore for the last 2 years or so, but life goes on.
    This first academy class will be in Oct. (per Mrs. Hammond) which is why I was automatically dropped due to the age cut off.
    Good luck to everyone that still has a chance, but remember, anything can happen and nothing is promised to you, especially in regards to the Chicago Fire Dept.!

And as far as this suburban guy who IS wishy washy...if you took this job just to quit 6 months after graduating the academy and I missed out because you took my spot...I'd find you and KICK YOUR F%CKIN *****!!!
    Stay in the burbs

RockGod signing out...

Forum Member

rockgod, i dont know what to say man. you have been here with us through the thick and thin. and to have it come to this, that you miss out on a possible academy date by a few months is genuinely upsetting. Im sincerely sorry and i wish you nothing but luck in any other endeavors you pursue. again im truly sorry.
    Shadez likes this.

Thread Information