Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

MembersZone Subscriber

Its the confirmation #....

I was 1897....

I think they are way past 5000 now for onlines....

It will be interesting to see how they "weed" out people, background is the only thing that I can see doing it.....

The test is going to be a joke, I've taken a similar written, but they took all of the math portion of it out so its much easier to take........

MembersZone Subscriber

What company is doing the test?

Forum Member

Yeah the study guide had grade school stuff in it, they may do the lotto to pick canidates to move up in the process;that would suck. I know diversity is a big part of the agenda, though I am not sure how they are going to achieve this, seems like every big city has diversity on the agenda.

Anyways, good luck everybody!

I/O solutions is doing this test I assume from the study guide.

Forum Member

did anyone who filled out an online app choose to get the information via mail or email? if you got it through email what all was sent?

MembersZone Subscriber

They will send the stuff out after the application due date has passed.

Its info on where you go and what time you take your test....

Yea I'm also hearing that its a lottery pick w/social security #'s to move up in the process....they are going to hire 900+ but out of 30,000 + people most likely taking it, its a 5% chance you will get called....

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FFSmitty1]I was simply disagreeing with the statement " As a white male, getting hired is like winning the lottery." While getting hired is often difficult, in the greater chicagoland area it is not harder to get hired being white.[/QUOTE

Give me a freakin break departments all over this country are looking for ways to bend the rules to get more minorities in their departments. Thats a freakin fact. I don't give a rats ***** if you are black, yellow, blue,or green if you get the job fairly then congratulations. The trend lately though is to push to recruit minorities and women and if a minority does not score well enough then SUE the department and claim discrimination. Thats the problem. Why should a white guy be passed over if he busted his butt studying and passing a physical so they could fill a quota. This should not happen to a minority either if he scores well. If your a slacker and take the scumbags way out in getting the job by sueing for discrimination no matter what race or gender you are then to you i say have a long miserable career.

Forum Member

Well, I just signed up. My confirmation number is 49**. I chose to receive my "notice to report" by US mail. Hopefully it will come soon so I can plan for the test date they give me.
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 03-31-2006 at 11:42 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you preparing for the Chicago fire exam, below we have some testing strategies and exam prep. Good luck !!

Chicago exam prep can be found at the link below.

http://www.fireprep.com/chicago_fire...xaminatio.html

1-800-989-FIRE

TEST-TAKING STRATEGY FOR DEDUCTIVE REASONING

Deductive reasoning measures your ability to apply general rules or regulations to specific situations. You will be presented with general Fire Department rules and regulations and then asked to apply them to specific situations.

Deductive Reasoning is the opposite of Inductive Reasoning. Deductive reasoning starts with a general statement. In Deductive Reasoning you go from the general statement to a particular fact or conclusion.

The Deductive Reasoning questions on the firefighter exam will not be such a rigid exercise in logic. They will deal with situations more complex than the neat world of geometry. But the Deductive Reasoning questions will follow the basic pattern of going from general statements to conclusions. In the "fact pattern" or "stem" of the question, you will find the general statement. It will be some kind of rule. The answer choices will be specific actions. One of them should be a valid example of how that rule would be applied in a concrete situation. For instance, the question could state a general rule that fire trucks should not be positioned so close to a fire that they could be damaged by flying debris or heat from the fire. The question might then give a description of a fire and tell you what direction the wind is blowing towards. Then the question may ask you what side of the fire the truck should be farthest from. In evaluating the individual answer choices, you should be asking yourself, "Is this an accurate example of the general statement?"

When answering questions like these, pay attention to any limits or exceptions to the rule. The rule may be in effect only at certain times or under certain circumstances. For instance, a rule might apply only when there are several fire trucks at a fire scene. Or a rule might apply only at night, not in the daytime. And watch out for exceptions. A rule might apply to most firefighters but not to those assigned to certain duties, e.g., all firefighters might be required to wear a uniform, but fire marshals might be an exception. A rule might apply all the time but still with exceptions, e.g., a rule might forbid using the fire truck to go out to purchase food for the meal in the firehouse but it might be allowed to stop for food on the way back to the firehouse from other duties. So, you need to be asking yourself:

1. Are there are limits to when the rule applies?

2. Are there any limits to who is covered by the rule?

3. Are there any authorized exceptions to the rule?

If there are limits or exceptions to rule, you may find them highlighted by certain words in the question. The usual key words to denote exceptions to rules are: except, unless, and if or when... Circle or underline these key words when you are reading rules.

Apart from authorized exceptions stated in the question itself, do not make exceptions. Your task is to apply the rule, not to question it or excuse anybody from following it. In picking answer choices, apply rules rigidly.

As far as the firefighter exam is concerned, Deductive Reasoning is somewhat similar to Information Ordering. But Information Ordering has more to do with following, in proper order, step by step procedures. Deductive Reasoning is more the ability to recognize a correct concrete example of a general rule.

Additional Strategies:

1. Pay attention to steps which may be taken in definite order.

2. Pay attention to when the rule or procedure is enforced.

3. Pay particular attention to any exceptions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515
    Well, I just signed up. My confirmation number is 49**. I chose to receive my "notice to report" by US mail. Hopefully it will come soon so I can plan for the test date they give me.
    Same here, I'm in the 5300's. As well decided to get it by mail, I want a hard copy..not a digital one. I don' trust Yahoo Mail. I can't wait...this is gonna be fun.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    Same here, I'm in the 5300's. As well decided to get it by mail, I want a hard copy..not a digital one. I don' trust Yahoo Mail. I can't wait...this is gonna be fun.
    I wish I would have done it by e-mail now. Who knows how long it will take to send out by US Postal Service. I need to have a date so I can take off work accordingly. Has anyone received an email notice yet? What's your confirmation number, and what time and day will you be taking the test?

Forum Member

someone said it will be sent out after closing date surely it won't take more than 5 weeks (if I figured right thats the amount of time from April 11 to the week before the exam days).

guess it's alittle early but best of luck to everyone has applied and is going to apply

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515
    I wish I would have done it by e-mail now. Who knows how long it will take to send out by US Postal Service. I need to have a date so I can take off work accordingly. Has anyone received an email notice yet? What's your confirmation number, and what time and day will you be taking the test?

Can't wait to get my notice Always get excited. I also chose the hardcopy choice. I'm in the 3500s

MembersZone Subscriber

Im 6100. Does anyone know how they are going to group people to determine their test day and time?

MembersZone Subscriber

Randomly assigned

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, Im in the 8000s, my computer froze up before I could print out the Exam info sheet and Study Guide, just wondering if they were anything important. If anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ufdfirefighter
    Hey, Im in the 8000s, my computer froze up before I could print out the Exam info sheet and Study Guide, just wondering if they were anything important. If anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated.
    Sorry man that stuff is pretty important. You should call the city and see if you can get replacements.

Also I got
    Last edited by AlKalineTrio; 04-14-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Forum Member

Anyone know when they expect to have test dates? I ship out for basic training May 24th and would rather not apply and pay just to find out ill be missing the test.

Forum Member

Default Test dates

The written test will be held May 25th and 26th. Sorry about your luck man.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wonder if 36,000 + apps have really gone out..........thats a good amount so far

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope not. Thats just the # of the written application at Lincoln Park library I wonder how many people will end up applying total. Who else is testing on Thursday is the morning session.

Forum Member

so have you already received confimation on your test date as well alkaline trio?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230
    someone said it will be sent out after closing date surely it won't take more than 5 weeks (if I figured right thats the amount of time from April 11 to the week before the exam days).

guess it's alittle early but best of luck to everyone has applied and is going to apply
    It should be within days after the close, or an ongoing thing as you apply. I'm going to call and figure it out. I need to find a trade just in case. I feel sorry for the houses that are going to have to deal with all the farkles...myself included.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ufdfirefighter
    I had the same problem. Let me know what you come up with.

Forum Member

did you print out the confirmation page? that is something that must be turned in on your test day. And the other things were a study guide for the written (talked about how to take it, the type of questions and a sample test).

Forum Member

nothing printed. A friend gave me an xerox of the study guide and I figured I was O.K. until I saw that you must have the confirmation page. Eleven years and now this!!!

Thread Information