Like Tree289Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenCFD View Post
    Thats what I was told this week, that my file should've been back in hammonds hand by friday. BUt it she held it for weeks after i was cleared thru cfd medical cuz of that bs script issue that took 3 months to clear twice. ugh....just so fed up with this crap right now. Really disheartening to feel so close and get shunned again. Usually not the negative type of person but it has been so hard to stay positive watching all this may 2013 guys get the green light for this class.
    i was a bit surprised about that too, my guess is they randomly took guys with completed cpats first, regardless of previous processing. lucky bastards, damn certain.

my home visit was tuesday, got my call to report on friday. seems like it takes a few days after the file gets turned in.

hope to see you thursday.

Forum Member

what does the conditional offer of employment entail for those that have gotten that far this go round. are you guaranteed a spot in one of the first two classes?

Forum Member

^ it entails that IF you pass Medical, then yes, you are going to be in a class. Like 2ndGen, I've been through this all before so all I can tell ya is you're not in until ur in uniform walking into FAS.
    If you've been processed through Medical( taking it this week or next) you will be in Nov 18 class. If you have yet to schedule Medical, you will be in Feb-Mar class. Good luck!
    nbsmith28 likes this.

Forum Member

BODE,

Did you get that information about who's in the Nov class directly from Miss Hammond?

Forum Member

^ yes. Not sure of the weight it carries so do with it as you wish. But being that I've been through this before, this time it seems real and I'm leaning towards believing it.

Forum Member

Fair enough, thanks.

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Forum Member

BODE,

So did you get the impression that all those who have medical scheduled this month will be in Nov class? I ask because I'm scheduled for medical on 24th of Oct and I'm wondering which class that would likely place me.

Forum Member

^ The way it was explained to me, and the last group of scheduled Medicals, was if you are taking it this week, or next, then you will be in Nov 18 class. If you have yet to schedule Medical then you'll be placed in the next class.

Forum Member

I was curious, generally what SS# do all of you going through these last several steps have? I figured it should be a last number of 9 or 0, but I know of someone who has a 2 (as I do) and is awaiting a medical date. No special circumstances, either.

Forum Member

I've personally seen 8's, 7's & 2's when we had to put our SS#'s up there for the picture. But I think the majority are still 9's and 0's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NEC1234 View Post
    I was curious, generally what SS# do all of you going through these last several steps have? I figured it should be a last number of 9 or 0, but I know of someone who has a 2 (as I do) and is awaiting a medical date. No special circumstances, either.
    If they went off of SS#'s they would most likely use the first 3 digits because they are by location, the lower numbers starting in the Northeast. The middle 2 are year and last 4 are the actual serial number.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenCFD View Post
    I 100% support and back all my brothers, whether they get in before me or after me. But your comment about all of us waiting for 7 years is partially true. Unlike u who just started in May of this year, I have been doing this for 5 years. I got my initial interest card in jan 09, i fully process and was called in to get my medical done THAT DAY so I could get into the aug 17 2009 class. Got my letter to report. Then had it revoked once they realized they processed to many of us. So yes, u are correct we have all been waiting for 7 years since taking the test. But I, and a few others, have EARNED our spot ahead of those of you who have just started. Live in my shoes brother. Live thru the ups and downs, the promises, the "just give it time" for FIVE YEARS, and then think before you shun someone who has dealt with the frustration, the anxiety, the hopes being let down for as long as I and a few others have. EVERY other class and process in this has gone according to a certain protocol, by RAN. And now they wanna throw it out just because they can. We'll see about that. Just wondering, what is your original RAN.
    2ndGenCFD, I hear what you are saying, I just don't see how you have "earned" this anymore than the rest of us. Even though you were called sooner, and than placed on hold, you didn't do anything more or less than us May 13'ers. So I believe we have all earned this regardless were we fall. I keep hearing people say it isn't real until you walk into FAS on the first day, and that nothing is promised to anyone..and I agree with this. Hope you get in the Nov class, but if not at least you will be in the Feb/March class..I am sure others won't make that class or any other class...so consider yourself lucky you will be getting on either in the first class or second. I am excited I am stating next month, and I know how lucky I am, not because I started the process only 6 months ago, but lucky I got on when thousands of others never will. So good luck, hope you make it in my class. And to answer your question my ran number was 24**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by newguy24 View Post
    2ndGenCFD, I hear what you are saying, I just don't see how you have "earned" this anymore than the rest of us. Even though you were called sooner, and than placed on hold, you didn't do anything more or less than us May 13'ers. So I believe we have all earned this regardless were we fall. I keep hearing people say it isn't real until you walk into FAS on the first day, and that nothing is promised to anyone..and I agree with this. Hope you get in the Nov class, but if not at least you will be in the Feb/March class..I am sure others won't make that class or any other class...so consider yourself lucky you will be getting on either in the first class or second. I am excited I am stating next month, and I know how lucky I am, not because I started the process only 6 months ago, but lucky I got on when thousands of others never will. So good luck, hope you make it in my class. And to answer your question my ran number was 24**.
    until you get the first interest card it isn't real.

you paid some money and took a test down at mccormick place and for most people that's all it is. you get a letter that you passed, maybe, but so did thousands.

then you get the interest card and you take a physical and you sense that a dream could become reality.

it goes further: you've passed a background, you've made it through medical. you get an offer of employment. you get a start date. you're going to become a chicago firefighter.

imagine if tomorrow you're called; everything is on hold. budget cuts. lawsuits.

you've made plans. you uprooted your life. you bought in the city. you quit your job. you moved your family. your kids had to change schools. you told people that it was a sure thing and then you are forced to backtrack.

then, in three years, if you're even still young enough you get another crack. how do you feel?

most people on this board are wary because they had all of this happen and they are worried the rug can get pulled out from under them at any time. again.

so respect the process and the people that have been through all of it once before. acknowledge how lucky you are that you may never know what it is like to go through that heartache because you're going to get in on your first try.

no need to be smug.
    Last edited by ffemt_applicant; 10-14-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Forum Member

Not trying to be smug at all....just tired of hearing the sarcastic comments and complaining about the May 2013 guys who just began this process and are being called. We did not do anything wrong. We all want this job as much as the 2009 FPers. We did everything they asked of us and past, and earned our spot in the academy as much as anyone else. If you want to be upset with anyone...it is the City of Chicago..not the May 2013 first timers. I am confident when I say that I am sure if the tables were turned, anyone of the 2009 FPers would be taking the November academy if they just started the process in May 2013 and there were people who began 5 years before them. I mean I doubt that if 2ndGenCFD just started this process in May 2013, or anyone else, they would tell the city, "No thanks, I just started this process 6 months ago, give my spot to a 2009 FPer they have been waiting longer and deserve it." Nope, I am sure they would all be taking the chance offered...another may never come around.

Forum Member

Hey, has anyone heard when the final processing letters are going to be going out. My roommate said that when he went to FP and was given his start date for Aug 17, 2009, that they gave them a 3 week heads up. If we are going in on Nov 18th (hopefully) than I am guessing they will want us down there for FP the first week of Nov, which means letters should be going out the end of OCT??? but that some people have medicals through the end of Oct...anyone hear anything?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by newguy24 View Post
    Not trying to be smug at all....just tired of hearing the sarcastic comments and complaining about the May 2013 guys who just began this process and are being called. We did not do anything wrong. We all want this job as much as the 2009 FPers. We did everything they asked of us and past, and earned our spot in the academy as much as anyone else. If you want to be upset with anyone...it is the City of Chicago..not the May 2013 first timers. I am confident when I say that I am sure if the tables were turned, anyone of the 2009 FPers would be taking the November academy if they just started the process in May 2013 and there were people who began 5 years before them. I mean I doubt that if 2ndGenCFD just started this process in May 2013, or anyone else, they would tell the city, "No thanks, I just started this process 6 months ago, give my spot to a 2009 FPer they have been waiting longer and deserve it." Nope, I am sure they would all be taking the chance offered...another may never come around.
    nobody is begrudging you for taking the opportunity presented to you.

it's just messed up that the city isn't going in number order like every other class, that's all 2ndGen is saying.

nobody expects you to defer to the feb/mar class. you've made it, good for you.

recognize how lucky you are to be going in front of these other guys who have been waiting for years. realize there are valid reasons they are frustrated, none of which are directed at your personally. if anyone on here were in your position they would leap at the opportunity. you're not doing anything wrong. hell, all of us that started the process years ago are lucky to be given a second chance, the city could have just torn down the list.

don't get too bothered about what you hear on this board. 2ndgen is venting and he earned that right by sweating it out for years.

just be respectful, that's all. we're all going to be brothers soon enough.
    Last edited by ffemt_applicant; 10-14-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Forum Member

Was that directed to me? I just ask because you quoted my last post?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldie2002 View Post
    Was that directed to me? I just ask because you quoted my last post?
    hah. whoops. didn't realize you posted and replied to last one.

my apologies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldie2002 View Post
    Hey, has anyone heard when the final processing letters are going to be going out. My roommate said that when he went to FP and was given his start date for Aug 17, 2009, that they gave them a 3 week heads up. If we are going in on Nov 18th (hopefully) than I am guessing they will want us down there for FP the first week of Nov, which means letters should be going out the end of OCT??? but that some people have medicals through the end of Oct...anyone hear anything?
    Miss Hammond told our group on Thursday that letters may or may not be sent out for everyone. She may just be calling us for FP instead of the letter being sent. Keep your phone nearby.

Forum Member

See most states that stop a process pick up right where they left off so the 09 group like myself should have never had anything to worry about.. and most of us put out the money to take the cpat as fast as we could to guarantee that we stayed on top.. but with that good luck everyone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UPCFire View Post
    Hey guys I've been following and reading awhile. I see most of you guys are and have been in the process for awhile. I'm heading up on Friday to take the make up exam. I live out of state and currently work for New Orleans, my wife is from the area and I'm trying to get us back and closer to family. Is there anything that I need to know for the exam? Dress? Also I do not live in the area and I saw on here that people actually came to some of your guys' houses is that correct? Just wondering how it will all play out. I have no illusions of actually getting a job but I'm sure as hell going to try. Upon processing out of the military they told me Chicago was hiring but when I called hr they said it had passed and never knew about a make up exam until recently. I tested in several cities before getting on New Orleans but now crunch time is on from the old lady and I'm looking to move back up north. I know some people on there and have been talking to them as well but any help or insight from you guys involved in the hiring process would be great pm me or write me on here. Thanks so much and good luck guys if you do get on, it really is the best job in the world.

Thanks for the help guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    It's actually pretty simple. It goes something like this:

Last two SSN digits = Random #

09 = 1-170
    19 = 170-340
    29 = 340-510
    39 = 510-680
    49 = 680-850
    59 = 850-1020
    69 = 1020-1190
    79 = 1190-1360
    89 = 1360-1530
    99 = 1530-1700
    00 = 1700-1870
    10 = 1870-2040
    20 = 2040-2210
    30 = 2210-2380
    40 = 2380-2550
    50 = 2550-2720
    60 = 2720-2890
    70 = 2890-3060
    80 = 3060-3230
    90 = 3230-3400
    01 = 3400-3570
    11 = 3570-3740
    21 = 3740-3910
    31 = 3910-4080
    41 = 4080-4250
    51 = 4250-4420
    61 = 4420-4590
    71 = 4590-4760
    81 = 4760-4930
    91 = 4930-5100
    02 = 5100-5270
    12 = 5270-5440
    22 = 5440-5610
    32 = 5610-5780
    42 = 5780-5950

It may not be exact, but definitely in the ballpark. For those of you with a higher number greater than 5950 just add 170 after that following the same pattern using your SSN (last two digits). The +170 is not exact. This is probably because some applicants with certain combinations (last two) outnumber other combinations. This is because 17,000 qualified and the multiple of 170 x 100(total number of SSN combinations) equals 17,000 which is why I chose 170. Keep in mind that going over 7000 is probably a waste of time. A new exam will probably be issued by then, and I will definitely be an old SOB, but hopefully in a Chicago firehouse.

Please no more "I CAN'T FIND MY QUALIFICATION LETTER" posts.

Northsider stated earlier:

"I've talked to was the random was assigned based on the last number, not the last two. They started at 9 and are around 0. My last is 1 (last two are 11 for what it's worth) and my number is somewhere around 36xx.:

You can see that 3600 correlates with his last two which are 11. If he and others who post, can round it off a little closer we can get this thing pretty spot on.
    What a fun little project

^@ K_Johnson and UPC, do a little reading like the rest of us before you come on and ask the same question that has been asked 15 times prior. I know it seems daunting, but start around mid-2010 and start skimming, you'll pick up a lot of useful info.

UPC, the make up exam, provided you pass will give you your RAN based on your SSN#. Read my quote from harry above, you can then figure out where you will fall with your SSN#. Being a VET will drop you down on the calls list(you'll get called with ppl who have numbers up to a thousand less than you I believe), I don't know the exact formula for vets or how much sooner they are called vs. people with a number close to their's who are none VETs. Hope this helps a little bit, maybe a vet can chime in on when they were first notified. Either way best of luck.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 10-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Forum Member

Ffdino88 before you run your head at me read my post. Do you see a question mark anywhere in it? I simply wrote what the numbers stand for when they're assigned. I don't have a horse in the race and don't care to be caught up in the argument.

Thread Information