Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 401 of 555 FirstFirst ... 301351391398399400401402403404411451501 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,020 of 11087
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

  1. #8001
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    Earliest would be 3 months. They do EMS first, which is 3 months then to the fire side for an additional 3 to 4 months. This is just all from what I've read. I hope they do three academies off this list.
    What would be the largest possible class size? Is capacity limited , or can it be expanded?


  2. #8002
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fireparamedic View Post
    The cut off age is 38. Currently that exists for both civilian and cross over. It's currently with the City's legal department to have the language change for Cross overs to have that age restriction lifted.
    If this happens, then they would have to open the door for other Chicago public safety employees
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 10:24 PM.

  3. #8003
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    41

    Default

    For the guys that have completed the CPAT on there own, so far. Do you send or fax a copy of the CPAT certification card to someone or does the testing center send it automatically? Is the separate ladder climb required on top of the CPAT?
    Last edited by airforcefiredawg; 05-03-2013 at 10:34 PM.

  4. #8004
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Yeah, this age stuff is BS. They just hired those 111 who now just brought a bunch of stress and separation to the department (like all the scabs did in 1980 when they crossed the strike lines and tried to steal the job, and than got to stay when the strike was over)...most are well into their late 40s and 50s..but guys that are healthy and eager to do this job are cut off at the knees at 38. I mean that is still young!!! I feel for you guys, it just seems unfair...in any other profession it would be age discrimination and illegal....but not with this job....but don't give up on this dream, keeping looking for departments without an age restriction, or find a way to be a volunteer somewhere...the brotherhood is for firefighters no matter what category you are in....

  5. #8005
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Im just going to bring my CPAT card next week and go from there..

  6. #8006
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Yeah Goldie, I agree with you...this age stuff is BS..if you can pass the physical and medical screening..than you should be given a chance.
    just got caught up on all the threads...didn't think sharing my thoughts on here would lead to so much debate. I just honestly was looking for people to possible point out some pros and cons I may not have thought about..didn't want to start a debate on here.
    After considering it, I think I will take my leave of absence and try CFD, it is kind ofa win-win for me....if it is for me great, but if after a few months it isn't for me I will respectfully back out and return to my current department. I have been a good employee and I have the right to use my leave in a way the will suit me best. And if I do resign, it will just open another spot in the next class for someone else. But I guess like has been said many times on here, nothing is for sure...and we can only wait and see what happens

  7. #8007
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    77

    Default

    So does anyone know if the P-T in the academy is just cardio based, or also strength training...I am just asking because I have been power-lifting since I have been in high school, but I really don't do much cardio..was just wondering if I should just do 100% cardio now, and stop power-lifting all together...or if strength is more what they are looking for...any thoughts??

  8. #8008
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    What would be the largest possible class size? Is capacity limited , or can it be expanded?
    Harry, I believe the largest class I've heard of was close to 150 to 200... However it seems the normal class size has been 120. So from all the hear say they want two classes of 100, now I don't know if that is 100 civil service civilians off our list with 10% medics and Vets to equal 120 or if that's 100 total with 10% of medics and vets which would mean 80 civilian civil service people off our list. Hope that makes sense but if they hire a class they are required to put 10% of medics and vets in, which could mean 80 guys off our list if it's 100 people per class or if they mean 100 people off our list and a class of 120 total to include vets and medic crossovers. So to break it down, if the class is 100 that's really only 80 people off our list to total 160 off our list for two classes. Now if its two classes of 100 off our list it means that they will have 240 total, 40 of those being 20 medic and 20 vets. Get what I'm saying?
    Last edited by ffdino88; 05-03-2013 at 11:58 PM.

  9. #8009
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Cody, The decision on whether to take this job if it is offered is solely yours. But it seems as if you are looking for some advice. This is my two cents. I also work at a department where our contract offers a leave of absence clause. As i understand it, it is not intended as a reason to pursue another job opportunity. It is for exceptional reasons, and as our contract is worded with approval by the fire chief and the board of commissioners. It also requires a estimated leave time and return time. I would not request it in this circumstance and i would think the union would not support it as it takes manpower down cause they dont have to fill your spot. in my opinion its either all or nothing. I would think it would leave a bitter taste with the department and members if you left under that clause and then came back. I am not trying to be negative i just want to express that I would not leave under that clause unless your clause is worded differently. its really not fair to the department to leave and say ill be back if i dont like it. again im not trying to be negative or demeaning this is just my view as how i would feel if i were a member at your department, Thank you. I wish you luck on whatever decision you decide to make.
    ffdino88 likes this.

  10. #8010
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    100

    Default

    double post
    Last edited by ffdino88; 05-04-2013 at 09:16 AM.

  11. #8011
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Cody, The decision on whether to take this job if it is offered is solely yours. But it seems as if you are looking for some advice. This is my two cents. I also work at a department where our contract offers a leave of absence clause. As i understand it, it is not intended as a reason to pursue another job opportunity. It is for exceptional reasons, and as our contract is worded with approval by the fire chief and the board of commissioners. It also requires a estimated leave time and return time. I would not request it in this circumstance and i would think the union would not support it as it takes manpower down cause they dont have to fill your spot. in my opinion its either all or nothing. I would think it would leave a bitter taste with the department and members if you left under that clause and then came back. I am not trying to be negative i just want to express that I would not leave under that clause unless your clause is worded differently. its really not fair to the department to leave and say ill be back if i dont like it. again im not trying to be negative or demeaning this is just my view as how i would feel if i were a member at your department, Thank you. I wish you luck on whatever decision you decide to make.
    I agree 110%.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 05-04-2013 at 09:16 AM.

  12. #8012
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    22

    Default

    ILFFPM, thanks for your in put...you are right, originally I did come on here to get some advice/opinions from other guys that may be in my shoes...already full-time on another department and trying to weigh the pros and cons. As I am sure with anybody, we all have to make our own choices, and do what is best for us...I think someone even said it best, "that living by someone else opinion is not really living for yourself." I know a lot of departments have similar leave of absence clauses, but I am sure you know as well, that each department/city/or union can negotiate their own contract. For example I knew a few guys in the Aug 17, 2009 class who were cook county sheriffs, and they all took a year leave of absence to go to Chicago. Besides the fact of liking the job or preferring your previous job, there is other things to consider. If you get hurt in the first few weeks or anytime for that matter in the academy, and do not meet the time or requirements to graduate, there is nothing saying they have to let you in the next class. you are an "at will" employee. day 2 you fall and break your arm, you are done. they can either recycle you or just part ways with you. In this case it would be nice to have a back up plan. This is why my friends with cook county took a leave of absence.
    I am lucky that I can tae a leave of absence, even if it is to try a new career, and return within a year if I wish. I am in good standing with my department/union, and I have this luxury. Si I have made my decision and that is what I am going to do. I feel I have earned that benefit under my contract, as I have always been a good employee and member of my department. If everything goes as planned, and I get into the CFD academy, I am going to take my leave of absence and see how it goes. If CFD is my destiny than everything will be great and I will enjoy a long and successful career...if at any point it isn't for me, I will just resign and return to my current department and enjoy the rest of my career here. Either way it is a win-win.

  13. #8013
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    That's cool man your decision to make. May I ask what your random number is? (roughly not exactly)

  14. #8014
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Hey Cody...good for you!!! I think you are making the best choice for you, and that is what matters. I am sure a lot of us wish we had that option in our current situation. I don't really get why so many people are saying that you shouldn't enact that benefit..you have earned it. You earned it by becoming a medic and testing, by getting hired, and by being a dedicated employee and union member. I am sure a lot of us wish we would have kept chasing our dreams of being a firefighter and getting hired somewhere else, than just standing by for the last 7 years for Chicago, and all hoping we make it on. I also don't get why people are saying it is all or nothing, it is not like you aren't going to be giving it your all in the academy. If you come in and give 110% while you are their, and go at it as strong as the guy next to you, than no one should have a problem with that. It almost seems to me like people are either jealous that you have achieved a spot on another department, and now you also have a shot at CFD. Or maybe it is that they just want you to stay at your current spot with the hopes that leaves your spot open for one of them on CFD. Either way no one should have an issue with your situation. You worked hard and went through everything you had to obviously for your current job, and you have gone through everything we have so far for CFD...in my book you have got everything the right way and the fair way. You have earned the right to be in your situation....not like the 111 or the girls who cried because they couldn't pass a physical and sued. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

  15. #8015
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    22

    Default

    thanks...my number was 12xx

  16. #8016
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Alrighty I'm out of town as you all know. Is there any chance I can get cpat done while I'm in Chicago this week

  17. #8017
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Nbs im sorry but I'm pretty sure there are no dates this wk. You can call nipsta or sufd and ask. There the ones on your form

  18. #8018
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Yeah I'm going to in when I get in if I have to extend my stay I would. Was told here in Indy that I couldn't test out here. Idk trying to get it out of the way now..
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 05-04-2013 at 12:44 PM.

  19. #8019
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody1998 View Post
    ILFFPM, thanks for your in put...you are right, originally I did come on here to get some advice/opinions from other guys that may be in my shoes...already full-time on another department and trying to weigh the pros and cons. As I am sure with anybody, we all have to make our own choices, and do what is best for us...I think someone even said it best, "that living by someone else opinion is not really living for yourself." I know a lot of departments have similar leave of absence clauses, but I am sure you know as well, that each department/city/or union can negotiate their own contract. For example I knew a few guys in the Aug 17, 2009 class who were cook county sheriffs, and they all took a year leave of absence to go to Chicago. Besides the fact of liking the job or preferring your previous job, there is other things to consider. If you get hurt in the first few weeks or anytime for that matter in the academy, and do not meet the time or requirements to graduate, there is nothing saying they have to let you in the next class. you are an "at will" employee. day 2 you fall and break your arm, you are done. they can either recycle you or just part ways with you. In this case it would be nice to have a back up plan. This is why my friends with cook county took a leave of absence.
    I am lucky that I can tae a leave of absence, even if it is to try a new career, and return within a year if I wish. I am in good standing with my department/union, and I have this luxury. Si I have made my decision and that is what I am going to do. I feel I have earned that benefit under my contract, as I have always been a good employee and member of my department. If everything goes as planned, and I get into the CFD academy, I am going to take my leave of absence and see how it goes. If CFD is my destiny than everything will be great and I will enjoy a long and successful career...if at any point it isn't for me, I will just resign and return to my current department and enjoy the rest of my career here. Either way it is a win-win.
    Maybe it's different in smaller departments I don't know.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 05-09-2013 at 01:28 PM.

  20. #8020
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    A Chicago firefighter and paramedic was killed Thursday morning when the motorcycle he was riding crashed into a two semi-trucks on a highway in Springfield.

    Sean Sloe, 37, was merging onto Interstate 55 near Clearlake Avenue in Springfield when the crash occurred at 10:46 a.m. Sloe was pronounced dead at the scene, according to an Illinois State Police spokesman. He was driving an Aprilia motorcycle, an Italian-made motorcycle made for speed.

    Sloe worked out of a fire station at 6030 N. Avondale in the Norwood Park neighborhood, said fire department spokesman Larry Langford.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 03-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 03-15-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 08:15 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 03-09-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:41 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-29-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts