Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by K_Johnson View Post
    Ffdino88 before you run your head at me read my post. Do you see a question mark anywhere in it? I simply wrote what the numbers stand for when they're assigned. I don't have a horse in the race and don't care to be caught up in the argument.
    You said they would most likely use the first three, you were wrong, I corrected you. Simple pal, that way there are no more questions on RAN #'s.

Forum Member

Couldn't have said it any better ffemt. Also, (for inquiring minds) plan on a call rather than a letter for FP. Should be getting a call the last week of Oct-first week of Nov.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODE View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better ffemt. Also, (for inquiring minds) plan on a call rather than a letter for FP. Should be getting a call the last week of Oct-first week of Nov.
    Took my medical end of last week, I was really hoping to hear something next week. Either way I'll be elated if I get a call at all! Bode have you already been through your medical?

Forum Member

^ yeah I took mine a few weeks ago..I think we're all good. Should be getting the call in a couple weeks..

Forum Member

Congrats to everyone moving forward. I'm back in Chicago now and I knew this all was going to go down for me the week I was out. As I stated, the BI called my work last Monday and then I called them back and heard back from her on Tuesday. As I stated, a friend with keys did my home visit for me and I cleared BI and I got a call from Ms. Hammond Wednesday late afternoon, which I missed and called her back and have yet to hear from her, so no clue if she was going to try and get me in last week and I missed it, but that would not have been possible anyway, so hopefully I hear back from her this week. I called down there today and was told she's not in today and I left her a voicemail.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Congrats to everyone moving forward. I'm back in Chicago now and I knew this all was going to go down for me the week I was out. As I stated, the BI called my work last Monday and then I called them back and heard back from her on Tuesday. As I stated, a friend with keys did my home visit for me and I cleared BI and I got a call from Ms. Hammond Wednesday late afternoon, which I missed and called her back and have yet to hear from her, so no clue if she was going to try and get me in last week and I missed it, but that would not have been possible anyway, so hopefully I hear back from her this week. I called down there today and was told she's not in today and I left her a voicemail.
    Yep you missed medical sign-up day last Thursday. There is another one this Thursday, good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Yep you missed medical sign-up day last Thursday. There is another one this Thursday, good luck.
    Thanks for the update, thought maybe she was trying to squeeze me in the next morning, but like I said, that would not have been possible anyway, so hopefully I hear back from her tomorrow and get signed up for Thursday.

Forum Member

So I have a feeling my CFD journey may be at an end. When I was taking the stress test the tech said in passing " so do you feel when your heart skips a beat" I said "what are you talking about! My heart skips beats!" She said "yes its normal. A lot of peoples hearts do that" she said it was only a couple times. I asked if it is irregular and she said no! Her heart does it. I asked if this will be red flagged and she said no its normal. She said everything looked perfect. In fact when I took the V02 test she said she never saw such a high score. But now I am sweating bullets. I know I will probably be contected because of this. I passed the hearing, vision, and my BP was perfect. I wish she wouldn't have said anything as I was feeling very confident up until that point. Oh well. Hopefully I can see my doctor and get cleared if need be. I took my medical yesterday morning early. Ugg. To make it this far. I have never had chest pain or shortness of breath.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    So I have a feeling my CFD journey may be at an end. When I was taking the stress test the tech said in passing " so do you feel when your heart skips a beat" I said "what are you talking about! My heart skips beats!" She said "yes its normal. A lot of peoples hearts do that" she said it was only a couple times. I asked if it is irregular and she said no! Her heart does it. I asked if this will be red flagged and she said no its normal. She said everything looked perfect. In fact when I took the V02 test she said she never saw such a high score. But now I am sweating bullets. I know I will probably be contacted because of this. I passed the hearing, vision, and my BP was perfect. I wish she wouldn't have said anything as I was feeling very confident up until that point. Oh well. Hopefully I can see my doctor and get cleared if need be. I took my medical yesterday morning early. Ugg. To make it this far. I have never had chest pain or shortness of breath.
    I meant to say "contacted" not "conected". Lol. Stupid phone

Forum Member

Took mine this afternoon and almost passed out during the blood draw. She couldn't draw blood and I started feeling light headed so she stopped. 3 attempts later she was finally able to draw it. Doc said it happens all the time since they have us fasting. So hopefully that isn't a red flag. The stress test guy also told me my blood pressure was high 146 but the first time the nurse took it she said it was 126 so hopefully they noted that I almost passed out. Talk about being worried. I'm right there with you Teddy. The lung guy also told me that my results are one of the highest he's seen so it sounds like that might be something they tell everyone. Lol. Good luck! Hoping to only get a call from miss Hammond and nobody wlse.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Took mine this afternoon and almost passed out during the blood draw. She couldn't draw blood and I started feeling light headed so she stopped. 3 attempts later she was finally able to draw it. Doc said it happens all the time since they have us fasting. So hopefully that isn't a red flag. The stress test guy also told me my blood pressure was high 146 but the first time the nurse took it she said it was 126 so hopefully they noted that I almost passed out. Talk about being worried. I'm right there with you Teddy. The lung guy also told me that my results are one of the highest he's seen so it sounds like that might be something they tell everyone. Lol. Good luck! Hoping to only get a call from miss Hammond and nobody wlse.
    Your blood pressure is supposed to rise during the stress test. Was this before the test started?

Forum Member

Teddyball I believe they are looking for st depression or anything indicating ischemia/blockage, or any regularly abnormal rhythm.A skipped beat isn't a big deal. Im not a expert though and if you get peace of mind from going to your doc. Then it's well worth it.

Forum Member

Shadez I think something was wrong with his cuff. I had the same thing, mine was 20 points higher the two tests. It was before stress test teddy. Also i was looking at my bp during and it went down a couple times then back up. I know I am definitely going to contacted about a shoulder injury from a couple months ago. It's fine now Dr. appointment to resume work duties is actually tomorrow. I would imagine if there are issues they will contact us around same time, so I will let you guys know once I hear from CFD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Shadez I think something was wrong with his cuff. I had the same thing, mine was 20 points higher the two tests. It was before stress test teddy. Also i was looking at my bp during and it went down a couple times then back up. I know I am definitely going to contacted about a shoulder injury from a couple months ago. It's fine now Dr. appointment to resume work duties is actually tomorrow. I would imagine if there are issues they will contact us around same time, so I will let you guys know once I hear from CFD.
    I wasn't really paying attention to my BP during the test but she told me it was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. So I took that as it was normal. Then at the end she dropped the "missed beats" bomb on me. LOL

Forum Member

We're probably just freakish ourselves out. Lol. Either way we should be getting calls. Let's just hope it's Miss Hammond on the other end when we do get it. She did say she would probably be calling us vs receiving a letter. Anyone else go in for medical today? I think I saw very person that signed up for today but most were quiet.

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Forum Member

Default ..

Quote Originally Posted by ffdino88 View Post
    ^@ K_Johnson and UPC, do a little reading like the rest of us before you come on and ask the same question that has been asked 15 times prior. This isn't disney land and we aren't your mothers, so do a little reading, it will go along way. I know it seems daunting, but start around mid-2010 and start skimming, you'll pick up a lot of useful info.

UPC, the make up exam, provided you pass will give you your RAN based on your SSN#. Read my quote from harry above, you can then figure out where you will fall with your SSN#. Being a VET will drop you down on the calls list(you'll get called with ppl who have numbers up to a thousand less than you I believe), I don't know the exact formula for vets or how much sooner they are called vs. people with a number close to their's who are none VETs. Hope this helps a little bit, maybe a vet can chime in on when they were first notified. Either way best of luck.

Appreciate it, I'll go back and look. Being a veteran and currently a fireman in New Orleans for a number of years, the mothers part/Disney land lecture isn't needed, thanks for the info. I will look into it.

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenCFD View Post
    my investigator text me yesterday and told me that my file was done with and given back to personnel. what time are you guys supposed to be there tomorrow? Those of you who were told to go in to schedule your medical?I gotta gut feeling that I should just show up lol
    2ndGen, let me know if you hear from Ms. Hammond today or if you reach out to her. As I said earlier, I missed a call from her last week while I was in Mexico. I called down there yesterday and they said she was not in. I called back this morning and asked if she was available and they said yes and connected me and it went to vm, so I left another vm, so hopefully I hear from her sometime later today and will report back.

Forum Member

Just a conversation question, did anyone get grief from their current employer regarding the CFD after the BI called them? I personally am in a good situation and have been up front with my employer regarding my pursuit of this for years now, but I know some people had mentioned having issues and hiding why they were taking days off, so obviously the cat is out of the bag once the CFD called.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Just a conversation question, did anyone get grief from their current employer regarding the CFD after the BI called them? I personally am in a good situation and have been up front with my employer regarding my pursuit of this for years now, but I know some people had mentioned having issues and hiding why they were taking days off, so obviously the cat is out of the bag once the CFD called.

I have not been upfront with my bosses as my company has been laying off and I would be the next one gone. It for some reason I didn't get CFD I would be screwed. Luckily I had a pregnant wife through this process so I made every "doctor appointment". Lol. Sounds terrible but I didn't have a choice.
    Also I gave CFD the number to my human resources department for verification. Human resources cannot report you employment verification.

Forum Member

Good deal, the fact that my boss knew how much I wanted actually helped me, b/c she's the one that e-mailed me when I was gone to tell me the CFD was looking for me and then I turned my phone on to get calls, b/c otherwise I had my phone only receiving e-mail through wifi, no data or voice. Just didn't know what other people's situations were and if anyone was in a hell storm b/c of this.

Forum Member

I've used every trick in the book since '09 to take days off work for processing..if they tracked it I'd have 7 kids and 5 lost dogs that I never found and a severe monthly reoccurring 24 hour flu..haa
    nbsmith28 likes this.

Forum Member

Ahh......let's see. My previous boss is/was 100% supportive. I gave him the heads-up after BI packet was turned in. To this day, still asks how things are going. Think he appreciated me telling him as opposed to getting a call blindly from IA.

However, my new boss of the promotion I just accepted last week, does not. Kind of shady on my part but hey, i've gotta make sure #1 and my family is taken care of and a "plan b" is in place should this all fall apart.

Forum Member

Just heard a rumor that the class may be pushed back to December 1st. Booooooo!!!!

Thread Information