Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenCFD View Post
    Once again, congrats to the LOTTERY winner Newguy. But I agree with and am in the same shoes as goldie. Try going through 5 years of this. You havent "waited" 7 years for this. You forgot about it and moved on. We have been in the heat of it for 5 years now. Show a little respect for those of us who have moved, quit jobs, lost wives, lost kids to other states cuz our wives took them and put EVERYTHING into this dream for 5 years. Show a lil respect, thats all man.
    Not his fault he won...

Name:  francis.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  9.8 KB

Forum Member

ms. hammond also said her RAN was around 12,000.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldie2002 View Post
    OK guys...Got a call today I am to report to the commissary on Halsted for my uniforms on Tuesday. I was given my file number...I am now # 2094* as far as the CFD is concerned. newguy...your file is like your SS#...for your entire career no one else will have it..it is just for you. You will use it for everything, going for uniforms, transfers, marking your equipment, your even suppose to put it next to your signature on all CFD documents. My roommate said you will use it for everything. I told her that I was wondering if she could tell me when the academy is starting, because I have been using a lot of days to get off of work and they are starting to get upset. She said that once we get our uniforms she will be contacting us for our final process day...and that day they will tie up lose ends and tell us what we need. She said, and I quote, " the first day for the academy will be Monday Nov 18th, so start taking care of your business, and get yourself prepared." I was very happy, and she said congratulations I will see you at final processing and the 18th!!

Congrats Goldie! I know you and I reported down same day to sign up for med and I even think we did med same day (9/12). Haven't heard anything yet......hope my call comes today!!!!

Forum Member

Ok I've finally bit the bullet and posted on this forum. After lengthy, Informative, and sometimes stressful reads. Congrats to everyone getting through BI and medical, and those lucky ones getting uniform calls. I am grateful to be one of the lucky ones to be chosen to go through this process and hopefully getting on the job. It was good to meet some of you yesterday at processing, good luck on your medicals, and hopefully see you in a few weeks. I didn't get to stay for the Q&A session , if there's anything I missed delsh or 2ndgen fill me in

JMH
    Forum Member

2nd Gen...are people just not allowed to talk if they are ahead of you. How is this guy being disrespectful. I understand that your frustrated that your towards the back of the line, but get real. Basically every person on this thread has been looking forward/hoping to get on CFD at some point. We all took the test in 2006 and have been called back to some extent. Have a few of your final processing guys gone through a little more then some, yes. Does that give you the right to act like we dont deserve this. Your entitled act is getting old.
    chigo23 likes this.

Forum Member

Last edited by 2ndGenCFD; 11-09-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    ffdino88 likes this.

Forum Member

2ndGen, I feel your pain after talking to you yesterday. But brother, don't hate the players...hate the game

JMH
    Forum Member

I feel yah man..I can tell you really want it. I just think so does every other guy on this thread.
    I have a good feeling for everyone that has gone through the process to this point.

I also think the guy mainly was saying the past few months have been slow because there actually has been activity compared to the past 2 or 3 years that there has been no noise. All the rumors going around that this list was getting junked, most guys probably figured they would need to take the test again anyways.

lets hope for more calls today

Forum Member

Having been on this forum forever now and finally meeting some of you guys throughout this last round of processing, just wished to comment regarding 2ndgen. I believe myself to be a rather objective person in general and should be evidenced throughout this forum. 2ndGen is not hating on the guy for winning the lottery, he just hates hearing the guy say crap like, waiting these last few months has been tough. I think we all realize we are lucky to be in this spot since they could have started with SSN ending at 1 and went up and we would all be at the end of the line.

2ndgen, myself and tons others have been getting dragged through this process for years, so he is simply stating he should be respectful of the guys that have been getting screwed around for years now and his process which started in May is simply a walk in the park, which we all experienced as well.....yet again. I don't think 2ndgen is saying he wouldn't take the job if his RAN was 15k and they called him today and said, hey can you come for medical tomorrow and then you will start 11/18 and yes, he's aware and so am I that we all took the same test in 2006 and we have all been "waiting" the same amount of time, but it's a lot different going through this process 3 times over the last 5 years vs. basically forgetting about this process and then just getting called in May and getting on.

In other news, one thing I forgot to mention yesterday from being down there was that Ms. Hammond said they hope to have final processing the week of 11/4, just for all of you wondering regarding FP....hope I'm there with you all. Also, Ms. Hammond did say they didn't have anyone selected yet, but I thought I recall Instructor Wood saying something about hearing regarding being measured for uniforms soon, maybe even before hearing about FP.

Pinkus are you the guy from NY? Just guessing, b/c I know that guy left early to get his medical done, so was assuming he was the only guy to leave before Q&A, if so, how'd medical go?

Also that one woman was really friggin tall and I would assume she wants to defer, so that she gets into the class which has some more women, since this one will be the typical 95% men, I assume.

Forum Member

Also, Newguy, if you graduate the fire academy, you will have earned it, just as much as every other guy who is by your side and nobody on here should feel any different in that regard. Hopefully every single one of us on here who all deserve a shot, get our chance to prove ourselves down at academy if not in November but this spring.

Forum Member

2ndGenCFD, I am in the same boat with you, but I have to agree, you are getting on newguy24 for the wrong reasons. I know it must be hard to see a guy who just started in May 2013 already getting in before you, but you are coming off as being jealous. You and me may both have been jerked around by the process, but you don't know his background. you assume he does not have the passion that you have for this job, but how do you know. Maybe for the last seven years he has been rushing home to check the mail with the hopes of getting a letter or interest card from CFD. Maybe he has chosen to pass on jobs and moving because he was hopeful one day to get a call. He may just be as excited for the rest of us, and has been going crazy since may because he is so excited. I felt the same way in 2009. And I have to disagree with you about something else. I have always wanted this job, and I have family on the job and it has always been my dream. But I have t raise an eye-brow if someone really lost their kids because of this job. Nothing is more important than your kids. I felt like things couldn't come fast enough. We all talk about sticking together and being brothers one day. Don't be jealous or upset at newguy24 for being happy for being where he is at, like someone else said, be upset at the process and the city. He took a test just like us, he waited his turn, and he got lucky. Hopefully you get just as lucky. I think the process is BS, but I will never blame newguy24 or anyone else for how it turned out...they had no say in it. If the city ever wants this process to be fair, than do like all of the other departments, give an exam, grade it and rank it by score. Until than it is just luck of the draw.

Forum Member

This just reminded me how Instructor Wood told us a story yesterday about how a guy got hired by the CFD and his wife refused to move the city, so he divorced her.

Also, again reiterating that I'm as skeptical as the next guy regarding what really is the truth, but Ms. Hammond and Instructor Wood seemed to confirm that November 18th is 100% a go so long as the mayor doesn't do something drastic....they even said, yes, I know this happened before, but it's rare and last time in 2009 it was a different mayor. They even said many times that we NEED FF and 3 academies is not out of the question.

Forum Member

Thanks, Goldie.I couldn't have said it any better and I think many view the situation as you do. In the end we all just need to respect one another regardless of the process and where each of us stand in it. We all don't have to like one another but I'd like to think we'd all have each others back through these forums, through the academy and in the future should we cross paths in a fire. The brotherhood is truly what its all about.

I wish everyone could be in this class so nobody feels like 2Gen or NewGuy. Unfortunately it is what it is.

I believe in the near future the CFD will require all applicants to be EMT/EMS certified on your own before even being considered for the position. That would eliminate all the BS that we have seen throughout the past 8 years.
    Last edited by Shadez; 10-18-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Forum Member

2ndgenCFD...how am I being disrespectful?? By being excited and happy for this job I am being disrespectful? I have not said or done anything at all except share my feelings, opinions and any information I could...just like everyone else here. I am sorry you haven't been called yet, I am sorry this was waived in front of you a few times by the city, and I am sorry if you feel like you have made sacrifices for this job and it hasn't worked out for you...I am sure if not next month it will in FEB/March. But, I am not going to be sorry for being excited and happy to be in the Nov class. I am not going to feel bad or guilty, because I have done nothing wrong. I did everything they asked. You don't know me or my situation, so don't judge me. I hope all works out for you, but your constant bashing of the May 2013 guys is getting old fast. It is like the only people who can post on here is guys complaining or that agree with you, otherwise you get upset and talk about respect. we didn't sue, go call in favors or did anything else that gave us an upper-hand...we just did what we were told. We have just as much right for this job as you. I disagree with your feelings of entitlement. You said you have family on the job, I am sure they know better than anyone that nothing is owed to anyone. As far as I can tell, you aren't being disrespected by anyone, you are just being straight out jealous and pouting because things aren't going your way. Hopefully if you do get on the CFD, those aren't traits you continue through-out your career every-time someone else gets something before you.

Forum Member

newguy, I think I recall a post in which you said, 2ndgen, don't act as if you wouldn't accept the job after just being called in May over guys waiting since 2009 and I agree, every single person on here would accept this job in a second regardless of the circumstances. Nobody on here is going to give up their spot, but also, I ask of you. If you had been hired in 2009 and told, don't worry you're in the next class and then "sorry" the class is cancelled and now 4 years later you see guys going through for the first time moving forward ahead of you, would you not feel a bit slighted?

To me, that's the respect, 2ndGen is talking about as far as understanding what others have gone through, but it goes both ways. No, you don't have to feel bad about getting in this academy, no way, but you should understand why some guys feel more invested than you and are frustrated at the process this time around. Is it your fault, no way and as Pinkus said, hate the game not the player, but I think that's where the frustration stems from and I guess you are just the guy which is new on here and is evidence of this continually screwed up process, that's all.

Personally, I feel like i'm going to have my chance with all others on here that are processing medical right now, so, i'm continually skeptical, but as always, just letting this thing run it's course.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    This just reminded me how Instructor Wood told us a story yesterday about how a guy got hired by the CFD and his wife refused to move the city, so he divorced her.
    I wouldn't even think twice about choosing between her and the job. Plenty of opportunities to meet women. One opportunity to be part of the CFD brotherhood. Statistics in the U.S say that he may have ended up divorced anyways.
    chigo23 likes this.

Forum Member

2ndGenCFD and anyone else who may or not have been hired in 2009. I haven't always stayed on top of this forum but if you were actually hired back in 2009. Like legit hired, then terminated. It sounds like you could have a legal case. You guys should be expressing this to a lawyer. It happens a lot all over the country. Threatened with litigation and possible having to pay back pay for X amount of years many times cities will settle and say ok you are going in top of next class. Many times applicants are happy to hear that then drop the suit. I'm not one for suing myself. But if my dream job is on the line. Then do what you have to do. Don't take it out on the people here who are getting hired. It's not their fault.

Forum Member

Can we seriously just shut the hell up about who gets in and who doesn't? I know it's disheartening and blah blah blah but can we please all just nut up like men? Quit the complaining please, you're eating up this thread and we all have to weed through the BS to find useful info.

Now for the love of God if anyone gets called today please let us know, otherwise I seriously don't give a rats azz who is entitled to what. Starting to sound like little girls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenCFD View Post
    Once again, congrats to the LOTTERY winner Newguy. But I agree with and am in the same shoes as goldie. Try going through 5 years of this. You havent "waited" 7 years for this. You forgot about it and moved on. We have been in the heat of it for 5 years now. Show a little respect for those of us who have moved, quit jobs, lost wives, lost kids to other states cuz our wives took them and put EVERYTHING into this dream for 5 years. Show a lil respect, thats all man.
    ASDFASDFASDFASDFASDFASDFr.
    Last edited by chigo23; 11-08-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    newguy, I think I recall a post in which you said, 2ndgen, don't act as if you wouldn't accept the job after just being called in May over guys waiting since 2009 and I agree, every single person on here would accept this job in a second regardless of the circumstances. Nobody on here is going to give up their spot, but also, I ask of you. If you had been hired in 2009 and told, don't worry you're in the next class and then "sorry" the class is cancelled and now 4 years later you see guys going through for the first time moving forward ahead of you, would you not feel a bit slighted?

To me, that's the respect, 2ndGen is talking about as far as understanding what others have gone through, but it goes both ways. No, you don't have to feel bad about getting in this academy, no way, but you should understand why some guys feel more invested than you and are frustrated at the process this time around. Is it your fault, no way and as Pinkus said, hate the game not the player, but I think that's where the frustration stems from and I guess you are just the guy which is new on here and is evidence of this continually screwed up process, that's all.

Personally, I feel like i'm going to have my chance with all others on here that are processing medical right now, so, i'm continually skeptical, but as always, just letting this thing run it's course.
    Dalsh321, I totally hear what you are saying, and I agree with you....But once again, 2ndGENCFD needs to be upset with the city/process....NOT the guys called in May 2013. I am not taking his disappointment away from him...but his anger is directed towards the wrong people. To answer your question, if I were in his shoes would I feel slighted...YES...would I be upset with the May 2013 guys...NO!!
    Shadez and chigo23 like this.

Forum Member

Agreed. I recall his one post when you said that you were going to medical and he responded something like "another F'n May newbie going for medical" and yes directed at you, but I think just more showing him being ****ed off at the process in response to your post/experience. Nobody knows you, including him, so i'm sure he's not ****ed/upset with you personally.

Forum Member

There are two things that will not get you far in the fire service.......

#1 - a sense of entitlement
    #2 - a p*ss poor attitude
    Shadez and chigo23 like this.

Forum Member

It's a good thing CFD don't do psychological evaluations. They figure if we're crazy enough to run into a fire, we would all flunk
    Shadez likes this.

JMH
    Forum Member

just a heads up, calls are coming out today again

I got called to report down next week to get fitted. She said I have a spot in the class and a tenative start date of Nov 18th.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    just a heads up, calls are coming out today again

I got called to report down next week to get fitted. She said I have a spot in the class and a tenative start date of Nov 18th.
    Nice! I assume Miss Hammond is making the calls?

Thread Information