Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 408 of 554 FirstFirst ... 308358398405406407408409410411418458508 ... LastLast
Results 8,141 to 8,160 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Suits are optional but dress shirt, dress pants, tie and dress shoes are mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by chigo23 View Post
    So that 31 page Employment Questionnaire doesn't need to be turned in when I go on next week? And before the drug test do they ask about any prescriptions you may be taking?
    The questionnaire is not due until the next time they call you but can be turned in if you have it filled out by then. I saw someone go back into their bag for some pills. I'm not sure if they asked for them or not. I would take them just incase they ask.

Forum Member

So are they going to respond by mail, or are they just calling everyone to turn in their documents?
    I plan on bringing my questionnaire and CPAT car tomorrow

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    So are they going to respond by mail, or are they just calling everyone to turn in their documents?
    Bring a copy of your CPAT card, b/c they will take it for your file as long as it doesn't expire in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    I would guess by mail because I can't see them having someone sit and call each person.

Also I forgot to mention that the instructor said they sent out 900 packets.

Forum Member

I overheard someone ask one of the instructors if the department was planning on hiring everyone who was coming in this week and he said no. He said that we are all here to fill 2 more classes before the new test in 2014. He said the department always calls 2-3 times the number of people they need, because people either fail portions or quit during the process and they want enough people in the process not to delay start dates. He said to make sure we do everything we are told and pay attention to detail, because we are all going for limited spots. Than someone asked about numbers and he said they are going by are assigned numbers.....kind of got the feeling that a lot of people who weren't in FP 4 years ago are pretty much back-ups and may never be hired before the 2014 test. Any one else get the same feeling?

Forum Member

What do you man by FP?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1998 View Post
    I overheard someone ask one of the instructors if the department was planning on hiring everyone who was coming in this week and he said no. He said that we are all here to fill 2 more classes before the new test in 2014. He said the department always calls 2-3 times the number of people they need, because people either fail portions or quit during the process and they want enough people in the process not to delay start dates. He said to make sure we do everything we are told and pay attention to detail, because we are all going for limited spots. Than someone asked about numbers and he said they are going by are assigned numbers.....kind of got the feeling that a lot of people who weren't in FP 4 years ago are pretty much back-ups and may never be hired before the 2014 test. Any one else get the same feeling?

Forum Member

FP is short for final processing. There is a bunch of guys here who were all the way through to our final processing day, and we were suppose to start almost 4 years ago, and than things came to a dead stop

Forum Member

Well guys good luck!
    I went through the orientation today and at the end when we signed out I saw that the name had to be printed. When I signed in the gentleman told me sign your name then gave me my time. There was another sheet over the top and I did not see it said PRINT NAME. I noticed my error on sign out. I did print on sign out but I believe it is too late.
    Of all the things that knocked me out. I am sure this error eliminated me.
    Guys pay attention. I blame no one but myself for this.
    Good luck. If I get a letter it will be a miracle.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Well guys good luck!
    I went through the orientation today and at the end when we signed out I saw that the name had to be printed. When I signed in the gentleman told me sign your name then gave me my time. There was another sheet over the top and I did not see it said PRINT NAME. I noticed my error on sign out. I did print on sign out but I believe it is too late.
    Of all the things that knocked me out. I am sure this error eliminated me.
    Guys pay attention. I blame no one but myself for this.
    Good luck. If I get a letter it will be a miracle.
    Teddyball - deep breath.....relax. I'm sure your fine. One guy in my group did NOT have his medical release signed. Now we all know that was one of the REQUIRED items to bring down. They asked if anyone present did not have it signed and there was one guy that raised his hand....i thought for sure the can was going to be opened on this guy.....it didnt. He was simply told to bring it down next time.

Forum Member

teddyball...I think you will be fine..they won"t eliminate someone over that, it is not like you didn't sign at all. I wouldn't worry about it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    Teddyball - deep breath.....relax. I'm sure your fine. One guy in my group did NOT have his medical release signed. Now we all know that was one of the REQUIRED items to bring down. They asked if anyone present did not have it signed and there was one guy that raised his hand....i thought for sure the can was going to be opened on this guy.....it didnt. He was simply told to bring it down next time.
    Yeah. I am freaking myself out. It is what it is. I would just hate for all this time something so stupid knocks me out. Believe me I triple check everything. I honestly didn't see Print until sign out. I was the first one on the list. Of course. Lol or I would have looked at the others.
    Time will tell
    Thanks

Forum Member

Adsfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf
    Last edited by chigo23; 07-31-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Forum Member

Teddyball

I wouldn't worry about that. As long as your signature is legible you should be fine. I think they are worried about retarded mistakes like cell phone use, not dressing properly, or talking when told not to.

I signed it as well as did many others. I'm not worried about it. They literally told us to sign out before we left. I'm pretty confident if they had a doubt yet would match it with all the other paper work we filled out.

As far as going through this process and never getting called is bound to happen. They sent 900 packets to probably fill 300 spots. I don't think they'll come out with a new test until 2015 even though one of our instructors did mention her son possibly doing the test "next year" after he graduates. But who knows what happen. Some folks will turn down the job, others never received their letters, the CPAT, this sudden drug testing, people living out of town who must be residents before getting in the acadamy, and all the little stuff along the way such as tickets, people lying about living in the city, ect., ect. Could open the door for any of us. Just do what is asked and let the cards fall where they may. As long as you do your part everything else is up to the system regardless of how screwed up it is. Stay positive fellas!!! The process seems to be moving quick and some folks are going to have to make some life changing decisions that may or may not benifit the guys that did not go through FP a few years back.

Forum Member

Does anybody know how Veterans Preference works?

Forum Member

You can get a list of every job you have ever had by going to your local social security office. I was also able to get a list of all the places i have lived by getting a credit report.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Yeah it is a lot to remember. I think we have some time to return the information. I know it is not due when we go to orientation. I guess the best way is to look for old bills or maybe online for your old residences. I know some of those sites that you use to find family members show old known addresses. I know I did a search for an aunt that I haven't seen in years.

Forum Member

I never got the feeling that only FP folks will get called and the rest of us are not. I asked Mrs.Hammond yesterday if the womens lawsuit will affect us. She said NO. Also A LOT of people I talked to yesterday have not even started to work out for the cpat. I think FP and the people who started the process have a great shot. FP will go first as they should. Then if they do a second class the 2010 PAT group should be ok if we pass everything.

Couldn't agree more Teddy. One of the guys I took to PAT with was one of the incumbents. Not sure if he was a vet or med crossover but I was surprised to see him as an incumbent. I think the January PAT guys have a great shot at getting in a second and third class if they have them and a few may have a shot at this first class.

Forum Member

I've read this forum many times, first time posting. I hope it works out for all of you; you're fortunate that you are being considered for this job. I took the test, but my number is too high. Luckily I continued testing and have been working in a busy suburb, and I enjoy being there. The city is great, but there are a lot of politics that can eat you up. Both my dad and grandfather retired from CFD,and although they loved this job, the politics can get to you. Whether it be frivolous lawsuits or out-of-state people being hired over life-long city residents, there are a lot of frustrations that have to be dealt with. Keep your head up, everything usually works out eventually.
    Shadez and JMH like this.

Thread Information