Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Default Free event at Chicago Fire Academy

Here is the link for a free event this Sat from 8 am to 2 pm at the Chicago fire Academy.

LinK:

http://www.firemuseumofgreaterchicago.org/events.htm

Info:
    Fire Engine Rally

and

Firematic Swap Meet

Sponsored by the Fire Buffs of Illinois and

the 5-11Club of Chicago

June 16, 2007

Chicago Fire Academy

558 W. Dekoven St - Southeast Corner of S. Jefferson & W. Taylor

Featuring:

Antique & Modern Fire Apparatus

Demonstrations

Firematic Swap Meet

Patch & Photo Displays

Activities Run From 8am to 2pm

Default info

here is some info

Forum Member

Hey Heavy, do you have the law department number? Anyone here any updates?

Forum Member

Default Trib. is interested in doing a story

An editor from the the tribune is interested in doing a story about those of us that are stuck in process from the 95 list. The reporter that contacted me is Gary Washburn. He can be written to at GWashburn@tribune.com if any of you that have gone through some of the processing and are now stuck in the process want to write him, it can only help.

Forum Member

I sent an email. Can't hurt none at this point in the game.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GLYN69 View Post
    An editor from the the tribune is interested in doing a story about those of us that are stuck in process from the 95 list. The reporter that contacted me is Gary Washburn. He can be written to at GWashburn@tribune.com if any of you that have gone through some of the processing and are now stuck in the process want to write him, it can only help.
    So are you guys plotting for the next law suit??????????

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2006 Candidates

Content removed
    Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by martz847 View Post
    "Law Department spokeswoman Jennifer Hoyle said the stay means the Fire Department "can go ahead and hire from the 2006 list." When results of the '95 exam were disappointing for minorities, the city established a cutoff score of 89 and hired randomly from the top 1,800 "well qualified" candidates."

Sun Times
    Okay? and?

Forum Member

Default question to aircrew

Plotting? Not sure if that is the right word. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't feel good about myself if I didn't fight for what I thought was right. The main thing most of us are looking for are answers. I know I don't feel like I should have an "entitlement", but at least a fair shake? We played by the rules and then the rules were changed. Like I said before, we had to take days off (four by my count - vacation days), we had to take the abilities test, drug tests, hair samples, be treated like crap, etc. I know nobody is going to shed a tear for me or the others. But some here act like we are wrong to question.

The day will come for the 2006 people sooner rather than later. I'm not going to rehash what was said before, but I believe that there is room for both groups. I'm sure I would feel different if I was never "called" from the list. I just want some of the 2006 or present firefighters to put themselves in our shoes. To boot, we still can't get an answer but have to read in the paper that we are done. I know I'm "wha...wha-ing", but hey, it's been a slow day.

Default plotting

I am with you heavy, lets face it, they called me!!!! The 95 list has been taken down, but I was told all along that I was in the hiring pool not the list. I recieved my letter and past my physical, the way I see it, I am not going to just go away, nor should I, or anyone else that made it that far. The law suit put the hiring on hold last year when my class was going to start, maybe we should get back pay. We also need to look at past practice, what did they do in the 80's and 70's

My opinion is that we should also fight, because the city was well aware of what they are doing!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by

heavy69;825053
    Plotting? Not sure if that is the right word. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't feel good about myself if I didn't fight for what I thought was right. The main thing most of us are looking for are answers. I know I don't feel like I should have an "entitlement", but at least a fair shake? We played by the rules and then the rules were changed. Like I said before, we had to take days off (four by my count - vacation days), we had to take the abilities test, drug tests, hair samples, be treated like crap, etc. I know nobody is going to shed a tear for me or the others. But some here act like we are wrong to question.

The day will come for the 2006 people sooner rather than later. I'm not going to rehash what was said before, but I believe that there is room for both groups. I'm sure I would feel different if I was never "called" from the list. I just want some of the 2006 or present firefighters to put themselves in our shoes. To boot, we still can't get an answer but have to read in the paper that we are done. I know I'm "wha...wha-ing", but hey, it's been a slow day.

Forum Member

look for an '06 class in the academy in september just something i heard don't know if it's solid and yes if the city wanted to they can hurry up the processing a buddy of mine went through the police processing one weekend after another.

Forum Member

Default Answer to JoeyT

Joey,

I'm not sure September would be a good start date for '06 for a few reasons. I was sent a letter in March, went through the abilities test in late May, went through drug tests, etc. No one from our entire group was processed within 5 months (the August class was close with March letter and April 16th entrance into the Academy).

For a September class, you have less than 3 months. With our group (at least theoretically) the city knew what it was doing way ahead of time. Presently, at least publicly, the city has not made a decision. The names of the "500" from the '06 list has not even been released to CFD Personnel Dept. from the city HR. From there they would have to send out letters and set up the 1st stage (Abilities Test). This would take some time, of course, and include drug testing. Then there are more visits with drug tests (which you can't hurry results too much), background checks (which took a while, both to compile and check) and the physical. You could check with all our fine CFD personnel already on the job, but not many were FULLY processed in 2 1/2 months. Plus, the city and CFD have not been known to break records on these hirings. Either way, I'll wait until any OFFICIAL hiring info before I start guessing when the city will start a class. Just my 2 cents.

Forum Member

k well thanks for your 2 cents but i will go with who i heard it from until it doesn't happen. I knew it would get jumped on by a '95 guy i really don't know why i would say a thing.

Forum Member

Default I guess no one knows

We'll just have to wait until the Newspapers tell us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyT1986 View Post
    k well thanks for your 2 cents but i will go with who i heard it from until it doesn't happen. I knew it would get jumped on by a '95 guy i really don't know why i would say a thing.
    Dude, nobody is jumping on you. He's telling you how it is. It took six months time just to get to the background portion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2006

Content removed
    Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member

To the comment above...that means the 2006 list candidates can finally start to get called up as soon as the city figures out what month they are going to start the first academy.

Sorry '95 guys...but the 2006 guys shouldn't get screwed over because your mess is still getting cleaned up. Yea, you guys got screwed over no doubt, but that doesn't mean the 2006 guys should have to get screwed over as well. The city needs to start hiring off the 2006 list a.s.a.p. in my opinion otherwise the same thing is going to happen to us. Two wrongs don't make a right, and if I was a '95 list guy I sure as hell wouldn't be waiting around until 2007 to try and get a job.
    Well Boo Hoo Hoo to the 2006 guys. The City contacted us last year for a reason. And it is up to the City to do the right thing. And who said anything about anyone sitting around waiting for a job? I am sure everyone on this board went on to other things or other Cities. Your turn will come when it comes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pucksaver View Post
    I am with you heavy, lets face it, they called me!!!! The 95 list has been taken down, but I was told all along that I was in the hiring pool not the list. I recieved my letter and past my physical, the way I see it, I am not going to just go away, nor should I, or anyone else that made it that far. The law suit put the hiring on hold last year when my class was going to start, maybe we should get back pay. We also need to look at past practice, what did they do in the 80's and 70's

My opinion is that we should also fight, because the city was well aware of what they are doing!!!!!
    You guys had over ten years to get in, although they did make you jump through hoops the time has come to close this chapter to the book.

The fact of the matter is you weren't hired. Most companys now a days make you go through all of that before they even consider you. Oh well what are you going to do. It's time to move on Good Luck with your pursuit, I hope all is well for all of us!

Forum Member

Mr. Washburne from the Tribune contacted me about the situation, anyone who emailed him or were thinking about should contact him. Very nice guy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFDCandidate View Post
    Dude, nobody is jumping on you. He's telling you how it is. It took six months time just to get to the background portion.
    he is telling me how it is?!?! who are any of you to say how it is!? the city can do whatever they want! I'm tired of playing kiss *** with you guys. start a different forum please for the love of god! The forum is about the 06 test not about how you guys were wronged. You all should have moved on in life really! You are going to write a newspaper and then what? you all say "oh the cities tax dollars are being thrown away if they don't hire us!" How about the tax dollars being used to have the '06 test to get younger guys on and they are still waiting that sucks? you guys had the option of being well-qualified you didn't get it. If only they placed our test like yours then we would be happier. I'm positive in myself that i had a good chance on being well-qualified but i got that taken away from me and now just because some guy has a better ss# he is getting on before me even if i got 100% right on that test and he got a 70%. Bottom line you should have scored better. There were other tests to be taken. Why didn't you get your fire science degree or your medic and test suburbs and get on there? Because until you got a letter you probably wrote it off. Now you get something in the mail and did some processing and think you deserve the job over us.

Forum Member

Joey,

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, nor is what I am about to say an attack on you at all, I am an '06 guy but I agree with what Heavy and CFD are doing. They are fighting until the end, no matter how grim the circumstances are there is no shame in fighting until the end, personally I feel that never say die attitude is something that many firefighters have and should have. You yourself mentioned that you only care about yourself getting on the job, why would you think they should have a different attitude about that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Content Removed
    Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyT1986 View Post
    he is telling me how it is?!?! who are any of you to say how it is!? the city can do whatever they want! I'm tired of playing kiss *** with you guys. start a different forum please for the love of god! The forum is about the 06 test not about how you guys were wronged. You all should have moved on in life really! You are going to write a newspaper and then what? you all say "oh the cities tax dollars are being thrown away if they don't hire us!" How about the tax dollars being used to have the '06 test to get younger guys on and they are still waiting that sucks? you guys had the option of being well-qualified you didn't get it. If only they placed our test like yours then we would be happier. I'm positive in myself that i had a good chance on being well-qualified but i got that taken away from me and now just because some guy has a better ss# he is getting on before me even if i got 100% right on that test and he got a 70%. Bottom line you should have scored better. There were other tests to be taken. Why didn't you get your fire science degree or your medic and test suburbs and get on there? Because until you got a letter you probably wrote it off. Now you get something in the mail and did some processing and think you deserve the job over us.
    Dude, chill out. Why do you have to be an ********* all the time? The City and the Fire Department knew full well that they were going to have a new test last year and they chose to continue with processing from the '95 list. They had an option to stop it then, and they didn't. Bottom line is you should just shut your trap.

Forum Member

Hey, I can say the same thing to the '95 guys. Boo hoo hoo. You guys got screwed...we'll life sucks...join the club. This forum is called "Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006," not let's feel sorry for the '95 guys and call every newspaper in town. I'm sure another forum would work if you would create one. Gather your '95 guys together in another forum and make a statement.

Instructor I Basics...

Purpose - Objective - Decision - Implement - Evaluate
    Same thing goes for you, shut your trap. You little children think you know it all.

Oh gee guys, lets move to another forum, cuz the 2006 guys said this one is for March 2006 only, ewwww very exclusive company.

Thread Information