Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

JMH
    Forum Member

If you go down to the commissary with out a number/appt it will be a waste of time. I almost compare it to like a book store. You walk in and there are a bunch of other people there getting crap (I was the only candidate in there though). One of the workers had a sheet with your name on it and they walk through the check list with everything you need. They then put it in a box with your name on it and you get back probably at final processing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by newguy24 View Post
    So a guy I know did his medical, but hasn't been told to go to the commissary. He said he was just going to walk in a day this week and see if they will get his uniforms, because he wants to keep things moving along. When I went in there yesterday, I already had my file number. did anyone report for uniforms without a file number? He was just wondering so he would have an excuse if they asked him for his and he didn't have one. I didn't know what to tell him because I had mine.
    When did he do his medical? I ask because a lot of people who did their medicals have not been called yet. At this point people are still getting their medical clearance. Hate to see the dude waste a trip for no good reason.

Forum Member

a couple of things guys, first I heard it said before that they need to hire people because the city is tired of paying overtime. It has been stated in the paper that they would prefer to pay overtime. It is cheaper to pay over-time than to pay a constant salary, benefits, etc to new guys. They need to hire because they are short and they have minimum manning to meet. This is why it is so important CFD gets as many classes through as possible, because n2014 manning is up for negotiations and I am sure the city will try to go to 4 guys shifts, and may not need as many men. That is why I think the CFD is trying to get these classes going..not overtime.

Second, I know we all want this job, but we have to be smart in this process. It is going to happen, just be patient. 2ndGenCFD, I respect what you did to follow yours dreams, but I agree, just wait your turn now. You got lucky ms. Hammond let you do medical even though you weren't called, she could have easily asked you to leave. Now, you are going to start calling her asking for a commissary day?? Everyone waited their turn, or are still waiting their turn. The reason I am saying this, is because I know a couple of guys who follow this thread, who haven't been called for medical yet, and are planning on just showing up like you did to see if they can get in faster,and if the3y are turned away they are going to complain it was already done. And now newguy has somebody who is just going to show up and try to do his commissary day, I mean it seems that people are impatient and in a panic, and are all going to try and takes matters in their own hands. I am just afraid this may end badly for all of us. What if things start getting delayed because now there are questions and complaints coming in because people are not going along with process?? Just my opinion.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

JMH, I know how the commissary went for guys with their file number. I had mine and went this week for my uniforms. I was wondering if anyone went down their and didn't have a number yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Also another thought if we are lucky enough to get on and they have fp 11/4 they could still schedule commissary appt. After that since you don't get that stuff till day 1 of academy I believe. Just a thought I could be wrong
    I agree with this. Instructor Wood said some of us might hear from medical first if we have issues, we may hear from final processing first or we may hear to go get fitted for our uniforms. Either way, there's going to be a whole lot of rushing going on if 11/18 is happening.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

I agree goldie, but some don't care about others. Only about themselves at this point.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

I agree Goldie. I know it's hard to have patience during this, I for one have flew off the handle a time or two..what's next, guys showing up to FAS or Quinn and saying they're in the class too?

Forum Member

This process has certainly been a test of patience. I think about how many times I felt there was no hope. Up until last April I felt this list was going to be tossed. But look, here we are. We are on the cusp of getting hired. I know its tough to wait. Everytime my cell rings I hope its Ms. Hammond and not medical. But at this point I cannot bring myself to call down there. I feel like my time will come.

Forum Member

This is hilarious. If they want to be human guinea pigs, I say let them do it. When their files get buried down into the abyss, then we can all have a nice laugh.

Forum Member

Just want to add that HR is not stupid and they know this job is highly sought after. They're not handing this stuff out like candy guys. Your fate has already been determined, whether you realize it or not. You are either in Nov class, next years classes, or NO CLASS. Just sit back and watch how the cards are dealt.
    Pfaragoi likes this.

Forum Member

Hey guys & gals - went down and reported to medical today about the vision test. I hit a snag. I have a vision problem that may derail me entirely from getting on. I will know by end of day tomorrow if I'm going to be with you all in November or disqualified altogether. Very, very heavy heart right now.

I was down at FAS all of 30 minutes. This is going to be one long 24 hour period until that phone rings.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    Hey guys & gals - went down and reported to medical today about the vision test. I hit a snag. I have a vision problem that may derail me entirely from getting on. I will know by end of day tomorrow if I'm going to be with you all in November or disqualified altogether. Very, very heavy heart right now.

I was down at FAS all of 30 minutes. This is going to be one long 24 hour period until that phone rings.....
    Sorry to hear, may I ask what test was?

Forum Member

^May god be with you brother. I wish you the best

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Sorry to hear, may I ask what test was?
    Sure - i had no test - pretty much sat down with the doc and discussed. I came prepared with a full medical report from my eye doc as well which will hopefully help as well. They didn't ask me to bring it, but did anyway. Keeping my fingers crossed and saying my prayers.

One thing is for sure. IF i don't make it on, I'm holding my head high and know that CFD is about to see one of the best classes to walk through those doors. We've surpassed two lawsuits, processing and re-processing, days missed at work, etc.

I'll be proud of you guys and gals!
    airforcefiredawg likes this.

Forum Member

We'll said jet..sorry to hear, but I'm hoping it works out for you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    Sure - i had no test - pretty much sat down with the doc and discussed. I came prepared with a full medical report from my eye doc as well which will hopefully help as well. They didn't ask me to bring it, but did anyway. Keeping my fingers crossed and saying my prayers.

One thing is for sure. IF i don't make it on, I'm holding my head high and know that CFD is about to see one of the best classes to walk through those doors. We've surpassed two lawsuits, processing and re-processing, days missed at work, etc.

I'll be proud of you guys and gals!
    There's still hope Jet. Hopefully they just review and you get cleared. I don't understand why you have to wait though. Couldn't the Doctor just say " ok. Good enough" . Keep your spirits up. A lot of people seem to be hitting snags and should get cleared. You should be no different.

Forum Member

Best of luck man! Hope everything's ok and your cleared.

Forum Member

All- Thanks for the well wishes - That in itself makes me want to stand shoulder to shoulder with each of you in roll call, on the job, and at our retirement parties(hopefully).

Even though we each have our own opinions on the process and each other, at the end of the day, we will still have each other's back. I love it.

Hopefully i'll get the all clear tomorrow. Til' then, good luck and congrats to all those that continue to get uniform calls.

FAS sure was a bustle of activity today.

Forum Member

I'm pulling for ya man!

Forum Member

Jet did they tell you, your out, or say we need to review the paperwork from your doctor?

Forum Member

Jet did they tell you, your out, or say we need to review the paperwork from your doctor?
    Need to review but didn't sound too promising. Doc said HR will now make decision.

Forum Member

Then you should be good. If the docs say your good HR should have no problem passing you through.

Forum Member

Then you should be good. If the docs say your good HR should have no problem passing you through.
    I sure hope so - thanks Keefus

Forum Member

jetguy81, I'm praying for you man!!! Hope all goes well for you! What did your initial eye exam conclude?
    20/? for vision?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by airforcefiredawg View Post
    jetguy81, I'm praying for you man!!! Hope all goes well for you! What did your initial eye exam conclude?
    20/? for vision?
    Thanks airforce -
    20/20 left eye......20/200 right eye. I was born with an eye condition that affects my right eye only, and roughly only 3% of the population has it. It's uncorrectable. However, been driving for 16 years on an unrestricted DL and flew light, fixed wing aircraft and obtained license from FAA......no issues at all so im hoping im good.
    airforcefiredawg likes this.

Thread Information