Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

^ yeah I've heard the same..welp we shall see how it plays out..

Forum Member

I agree with the city not caring about peoples moving issues. We were told numerous times, there are 15,000 people behind us waiting for this job. Not that it is fair but I guess that is the way it is. Now I don't think they are intentionally making it difficult. I think they are behind now and scrambling to make the November deadline. But they have called people 2 days before and told them to report to academy in the past. Doesn't leave much time to get affairs squared away. I don't know nor do I understand the process. I thought medicals were being cleared all along. It now appears that they waited until this week to clear people. My guess is the doctors have CFD personnel with medical issues so candidates don't really take precidence over CFD employees. Just the way it is. Hopefully things start moving along a bit faster so we could get our affairs tied up at work or medical.
    Last edited by teddyball; 10-24-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    ^The city don't care about moving arrangements. They don't bend over backwards for us. I've heard from some of the CPD guys that people were getting called 1-2 days before their academy dates this year.
    That's the case for high demand civil service positions. I applied for Honolulu PD five years ago, flew out and stayed with friends for a month when I took the written. After that all the notices to appear for processing were within 7 days and they projected it would be 4 different steps. They wouldn't schedule out of town people for single day or give a month notice to arrange cheaper airfare. The thought process is if you want it bad enough you'll jump through any hoop.

I got a notice to appear today for the POWER test for CPD in a week.

Forum Member

Cpd gave 6 weeks to move from that start of the academy.

Forum Member

Still no call from background investigator... Getting a bit nervous/frustrated.. Anyone else still waiting for bi calls?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Runner05 View Post
    Still no call from background investigator... Getting a bit nervous/frustrated.. Anyone else still waiting for bi calls?
    I am still waiting to and am also getting very nervous now seeing that 70 guys went down to sign up for medical.

Forum Member

Well at least I'm not the only one.. We have no chance for the first class.. Whatever.. But I'm hoping we get this second class.. Especially since I've been a medic and fire 2 for 5 years now.. We have waited 7 years what's a few months more I guess
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

Anybody go to commissary with the last name after "L"?
    dalmation795 likes this.

Forum Member

Had medical yesterday and everything seemed to go fine. I think someone mentioned this before about medical regarding elevated blood pressure. When the first lady took my BP, I was 110/80, so very good and then when the guy took my BP before the stress test he had 140/90. The one thing I could see is that you lay on your back for a minute before test and then stand up and then the BP was taken right after, so perhaps that's the cause. I know your BP is lower laying down and higher once on your feet, so perhaps that creates the spike and is no big deal, just wanted to mention and perhaps everyone saw this increase. I think 140/90 is right on the edge of being considered high, so maybe that's normal for this test?

As for the new exam, rumors of this have been circulating for years, so who knows if they get it done, all I will say is that when we took it in 2006, I think the May Exam was announced in October 2005, so you would think they would have to get their crap together ASAP if they are seriously having one next summer. Also, regarding the CPAT and EMT req, I would definitely think the CPAT is for sure in, but no clue on the EMT req, but both are a good idea. The CPD has a college req, so don't see why CFD couldn't have some training req's too.

Someone asked regarding FP at our medical scheduling regarding the timeline and how they were concerned regarding not having 2 weeks to notify your employer and Ms Hammond stated, do you think your employer is going to give you 2 weeks if they are going to fire you? No, they're not, so while it's courtesy to give them 2 weeks, it's not req'd, so you will be fine, so obviously they're not concerned regarding giving us great notice this time around. Not guaranteeing Nov 18, but it's still possible.
    Shadez likes this.

JMH
    Forum Member

questions for the guys that went through final processing last time.

Did they call everyone down at the same time for Final Processing?

Also, did you guys go to the commissary to get your gear like we did this time around and also did you get file numbers like we did this time around?

Forum Member

^ we received a letter to report to FP to get file number and whatnot and once there were told that the 111 is taking our class. Back in the day, everything was done by letters other than one phone call I did get.
    We didn't go to commissary before the "FP" either, and from what I remember there were I think 99 in the group that went in that day.

JMH
    Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback

JMH
    Forum Member

and dont say back in the day please, haha. it was 3 years ago.

Forum Member

^ no prob, and yeah I know seems like forever!
    Shadez and JMH like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Had medical yesterday and everything seemed to go fine. I think someone mentioned this before about medical regarding elevated blood pressure. When the first lady took my BP, I was 110/80, so very good and then when the guy took my BP before the stress test he had 140/90. The one thing I could see is that you lay on your back for a minute before test and then stand up and then the BP was taken right after, so perhaps that's the cause. I know your BP is lower laying down and higher once on your feet, so perhaps that creates the spike and is no big deal, just wanted to mention and perhaps everyone saw this increase. I think 140/90 is right on the edge of being considered high, so maybe that's normal for this test?

As for the new exam, rumors of this have been circulating for years, so who knows if they get it done, all I will say is that when we took it in 2006, I think the May Exam was announced in October 2005, so you would think they would have to get their crap together ASAP if they are seriously having one next summer. Also, regarding the CPAT and EMT req, I would definitely think the CPAT is for sure in, but no clue on the EMT req, but both are a good idea. The CPD has a college req, so don't see why CFD couldn't have some training req's too.

Someone asked regarding FP at our medical scheduling regarding the timeline and how they were concerned regarding not having 2 weeks to notify your employer and Ms Hammond stated, do you think your employer is going to give you 2 weeks if they are going to fire you? No, they're not, so while it's courtesy to give them 2 weeks, it's not req'd, so you will be fine, so obviously they're not concerned regarding giving us great notice this time around. Not guaranteeing Nov 18, but it's still possible.
    blood pressure was fine when i got in but spiked pre-stress test as well. i definitely think it was nerves. no phone call today hopefully.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffemt_applicant View Post
    blood pressure was fine when i got in but spiked pre-stress test as well. i definitely think it was nerves. no phone call today hopefully.
    Good to hear. Did a google search and read that when laying, blood flows easily and when you stand up, your heart will pump faster to push blood through your body, increasing blood pressure, so I think it's normal. It says a large drop in blood pressure could be an issue and cause you to feel dizzy or faint, so maybe that was the test, but no clue, but I think it's normal and we're good. I personally thought that, but also had concerns this guy didn't know what he was doing and that's why my BP was high.

Forum Member

Jet called down to medical after getting no call back. Doc is out until Tuesday. I couldn't be provided any info other than what i already know.

The phrase "Hon....can you get me a beer?" will be repeated plenty tonight lol.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    Jet called down to medical after getting no call back. Doc is out until Tuesday. I couldn't be provided any info other than what i already know.

I like the 3rd person speak. Man, this is going to be a long weekend, sucks bro, but I hope it all works out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post

If it helps ease your mind at all, you're the second person I've heard of with a medical issue who was told to check back in on Tuesday. Enjoy your weekend man.

Forum Member

It seems a nice chunk of candidates didn't get to commissary yet. I wonder if they're just going to do a mass mailing for FP once the results from recent medicals come back.

Forum Member

I just got called to go for uniforms on Monday.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruggs View Post
    I just got called to go for uniforms on Monday.
    How did your vision test go earlier this week? Did you have to take the vision test or did you talk to the Doc like Jet?

Congrats by the way!!!!

Forum Member

Had to take a color blindness test. I passed it. then he told me my medical is finishes and I'm on to the next step.
    Shadez likes this.

Forum Member

Bruggs,
    when was your initial medical?

Quote Originally Posted by bruggs View Post
    Had to take a color blindness test. I passed it. then he told me my medical is finishes and I'm on to the next step.

Forum Member

My medical was on Sept 25
    airforcefiredawg likes this.

Thread Information