Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 419 of 556 FirstFirst ... 319369409416417418419420421422429469519 ... LastLast
Results 8,361 to 8,380 of 11106
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

I texted him yesterday he said he would talk to you about what to write, I don't know why

Hahaha, I have no clue either.

Forum Member

A former supervisor/manager would be good. Former co-worker would be another one. Also a lengthy (over 5 years) friend or acquaintance would work good.

Forum Member

Anyone know when the NEXT CFD hiring process is???

Forum Member

Not sure if anyone already post this but today I found out just under 750 people came in and the are going to have 2 class for sure so far both of 150 each. First class was pushed back to Nov. the second class will be early next year. I was there today and Ms H told us are chances are very good of getting hired if we get everything done. She thinks the cpat and the final medical will knock out a lot of people. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

OK, so question for those of you who have good connections with CFD....not that I don't appreciate all the reports on here, but I was trying to figure out how "good" our chances are if we pass everything. You know when they say that when it rains it pours, well I now know what they mean. I have been waiting to get a full-time firefighter gig for awhile, preferably with CFD. But earlier today I was offered a full-time job with a suburban department I tested for awhile ago. Just trying to figure out if our chances are really as great as some say, or if I should pass and go with the suburban job offer.

If we pass everything, are we good to go with CFD???

JMH
    Forum Member

Nothings Guaranteed with the City...They are planning on hiring, but who the hell knows.

As of right now all we know is that there will be a class in Oct/Nov. whether any of us are in it is the unknown. You could be the first guy in the next class or the guy who just misses it. Nobody can answer that question right now.

Sounds like you have some big decisions to make. Good luck in which ever way you decide to go man.

Forum Member

You need to jump on the suburban. Like jmh says, nothing is guaranteed, and you can always jump ship for cfd if you get the offer from them too. I'm im a similar position- waiting near the top of a couple of suburban depts, and while cfd is my dream, the job itself is the most important. Go suburban and jump if you decide to

Forum Member

that would be the ideal situation, go with sure thing than jump ship if/when CFD calls. Just worried how easy it would be to get time off for further processing days with the city....**** this is like a bad dream....

JMH
    Forum Member

Not sure why you would say its a bad dream. You have a great opportunity with a suburban Firehouse. There are a ton of guys who would kill for that situation.

Forum Member

what I am saying is a bad dream is that for years I have been waiting for something to happen, and now everything is happening at same time. The "bad dream" is having to decide between the suburban or the city gig....I know I am very lucky to be in this situation, I just have a tough decision to make

Forum Member

There is an old saying:

"Take what you can get"

I wouldn't trust the city to guarantee me a job with all these lawsuits and BS going on. They could halt this whole process in a New York minute.

Forum Member

Goldie, no idea what your # is. If you were previously a FP guy, I would say your chances are pretty solid to get on, but if you have a higher #, then who knows. Everyone is right, nothing is guaranteed, you're not even guaranteed to make it through the CFD. I'm sure you would, but as they say, sh** happens.
    Last edited by Dalsh321; 05-15-2013 at 10:13 AM.

JMH
    Forum Member

one quick follow up on something that has been discussed. once again yesterday Ms Hammond said the old processing number was 100% no longer valid. She said that its now basically get your stages completed and you move along. She also said this past weeks processing classes has nothing do do with your position either. I know its been mentioned, but just wanted to share that it was stated again because don't count on being a FP guy as a guarantee to get the position

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldie2002 View Post
    OK, so question for those of you who have good connections with CFD....not that I don't appreciate all the reports on here, but I was trying to figure out how "good" our chances are if we pass everything. You know when they say that when it rains it pours, well I now know what they mean. I have been waiting to get a full-time firefighter gig for awhile, preferably with CFD. But earlier today I was offered a full-time job with a suburban department I tested for awhile ago. Just trying to figure out if our chances are really as great as some say, or if I should pass and go with the suburban job offer.

If we pass everything, are we good to go with CFD???

Goldie - go with the suburban gig 100%.......i would. At this point, no offers have been extended to anyone with CFD. As past has dictated, things are progressing along for now but could easily derail at anytime. Should that happen, you passed on an opportunity with a suburban dept and got left out in the cold by CFD leaving you with nothing.

Take the suburban gig.....and take it NOW.

Forum Member

Random assigned numbers are void, somewhat..they are processing by last digit of ssn's..like they always have. So basically when all of us return our packets at the SAME TIME, they will process by having all accurate information and how it corresponds with ur last digit. Hence putting the last 4 digits on the envelope on processing day.

I believe they are on 79 and 89 now then going to the 0's and so forth..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    She also said this past weeks processing classes has nothing do do with your position either.
    You might be 1/2 right on this one. You can bet your arse that almost everyone who shows up for the next prcosessing phase will have all their documents in order. If your date is one of the first ones, and your documents are in order, then you will continue before everyone else does. This is where that "first come, first serve" comes into play.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODE View Post
    Random assigned numbers are void, somewhat..they are processing by last digit of ssn's..like they always have
    Please state your source for this information. According to an earlier post by jetguy, they are using the last 4 digits of our SSN now.

Forum Member

OK, I wanted to try and get as much info as I could, so I just got off the phone with Ms. Hammond. She confirmed that our random assigned numbers mean nothing at this point. She said as time goes by and people either fail portions, delay on getting paperwork in, or just choose not to continue, they will form a class with the people that are on point with stuff. She said those who were in FP years ago are in no better of a spot than the person who came in this week for the first time since they took the test in 2006. She said that there will be people in this first class that may have been in final processing, as well as someone with a 25** number who just started the process this week. We are just one big pool of people that they will be making a class from.

This kinda changes things for me, because it seems like it is still all like winning the lottery, no rhyme or reason who will make it in this first or even second class...it is just all up in the air

Thread Information