Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 433 of 554 FirstFirst ... 333383423430431432433434435436443483533 ... LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,660 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

jhgkjhlkjhkljghkljhkjlhkjhklhk lhkjlhlkjhkl
    Last edited by chigo23; 07-09-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=jetguy81;1371728]On the equip carry, make sure you place the saws back in the original spots. I flip-flopped the locations and had to re-do....lost time there but still squeaked out passing.
    QUOTE]

Nice advice with the equipment carry. The other thing I considered is that you can run with the hose on the 2nd event. Running could definitely earn you some extra time, but it could also tire you more, so think about that. I chose to run and in fact I started to run as soon as I got off the stairs and they had to tell me you can't run yet, you must walk until you get to the hose. As it has been stated, the proctors provide instruction and are helpful, they're not there to fail you, you can only fail yourself.

Forum Member

Congrats Teddy- I take mine this Friday in West Allis Wi. I did the orientation a few weeks back and have been working out with a 75lbs weight vest since. I am confident going into Friday. I want to have it done to hand in next Tuesday.

Forum Member

kg;dkf;askdfkasdfaksdf
    Last edited by chigo23; 07-31-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Speaking of technique's. Did anyone grab more of the hose than just the nozzle over your shoulder? I didn't but was wondering if anyone else did. I did run though once i picked the hose up.
    Last edited by Shadez; 06-05-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Speaking of technique's. Did anyone grab more of the hose than just the nozzle over your shoulder? I didn't but was wondering if anyone else did. I did run though once i picked the hose up.

You bet - grabbed the nozzle and draped it over - i had the nozzle itself roughly waist height with some line draped over my shoulder.....but of course just before i hit the box and took a knee, i made sure to start pulling from the nozzle

Forum Member

[QUOTE=chigo23;1371751]I would double check to make sure you can take it there for some reason i feel like i heard or read somewhere that you can only take it at nipsta or sufed. Not sure though.
    QUOTE]

I don't think this is true only because there was a guy in my group that said, I took the CPAT out of state and they don't give you a pass card like they do here in IL, but I do have paperwork, is that sufficient and they said yes.

Forum Member

As far as CPAT, I believe you can take it anywhere that is certified to administer the CPAT.... You can take it at other locations besides NIPSTA and SUFD......so long as your not taking it at Uncle JimBob's House of Fire
    pb1847 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    As far as CPAT, I believe you can take it anywhere that is certified to administer the CPAT.... You can take it at other locations besides NIPSTA and SUFD......so long as your not taking it at Uncle JimBob's House of Fire
    The question was asked at the last orientation day to Mrs. Hammond, she said you can take it anywhere it is certified. I did not want to wait on this so I signed up in West Allis Fire Dept. You can take it out of state as long as its certified.

Forum Member

I have a feeling us firehous'ers represent a small portion of the candidates for CFD - good to see us select few are on the ball with getting CPAT done etc.

At preliminary processing, Ms. Hammond asked if there was anyone in the room that already had a CPAT card and ONE guy raised his hand. This was in the room following the **** test.

Forum Member

Monday is the day I report back. I have almost finished the questionairre but I have a few questions maybe a few of you guys can help me with.

1) Should I put down a speeding ticket as pleading guilty to a crime? The reason I ask is I I thought Ms. Hammond said put down tickets if you paid a fine. I am not 100% sure.

2) As far as emplyment goes. One place I worked is no longer in business so it will be hard to get that info other than the basics and Another job I had was when I was 18 and do not remember my old boss or any co-workers. I am 34 by the way. Does it need to be that detailed or the best of my ability to remember?

Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Monday is the day I report back. I have almost finished the questionairre but I have a few questions maybe a few of you guys can help me with.

1) Should I put down a speeding ticket as pleading guilty to a crime? The reason I ask is I I thought Ms. Hammond said put down tickets if you paid a fine. I am not 100% sure.

2) As far as emplyment goes. One place I worked is no longer in business so it will be hard to get that info other than the basics and Another job I had was when I was 18 and do not remember my old boss or any co-workers. I am 34 by the way. Does it need to be that detailed or the best of my ability to remember?

Thanks in advance
    I wouldn't put down the ticket. I think they are looking for more serious infractions.

As far as prior work and contacts, we were told fill it out the best you can.....I'm 31 and really had to dig into memory and to be honest, i couldn't remember some coworkers or bosses names....

Forum Member

I was unable to take my cpat here in Indianapolis. I had to come back to Chicago to take it so be sure that the fire district in your home state will allow you to..

Same here. I couldn't remember bosses names or landlords for that matter for some places I lived.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post

Thanks in advance
    I actually did put yes on that question regarding being convicted and then in the explanation area at the bottom of the section, I simply put that I had been convicted of speeding in traffic court. Another question asks about being expelled, suspended, or placed on probation at any school and I also put yes to that, b/c in my HS if you were tardy to class 3 times in a semester you received a suspension and that happened to me once. I'm sure they are looking for more serious offenses, but I figured I would give more information than too little, I have nothing too hide.

As for the work contacts. I worked a different job every summer I was in college, sometimes multiple jobs in a summer, so I also had no idea as to every supervisor/co-worker I ever had, so I just did the best I could, that's all you can do and they're not going to DQ you for being honest to the best of your ability.

My day of processing, I think out of the 130 people, 5 already had CPAT cards, so we'll see how that changes this time around.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    I actually did put yes on that question regarding being convicted and then in the explanation area at the bottom of the section, I simply put that I had been convicted of speeding in traffic court. Another question asks about being expelled, suspended, or placed on probation at any school and I also put yes to that, b/c in my HS if you were tardy to class 3 times in a semester you received a suspension and that happened to me once. I'm sure they are looking for more serious offenses, but I figured I would give more information than too little, I have nothing too hide.

As for the work contacts. I worked a different job every summer I was in college, sometimes multiple jobs in a summer, so I also had no idea as to every supervisor/co-worker I ever had, so I just did the best I could, that's all you can do and they're not going to DQ you for being honest to the best of your ability.

My day of processing, I think out of the 130 people, 5 already had CPAT cards, so we'll see how that changes this time around.
    Do suspensions show up in your high school transcripts? I was suspended for (ironically) pulling the fire alarm, but it was an accident. It was a one day suspension, but didn't include it in first draft of questionnaire, thinking its wasn't a big deal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy81 View Post
    I have a feeling us firehous'ers represent a small portion of the candidates for CFD - good to see us select few are on the ball with getting CPAT done etc.

At preliminary processing, Ms. Hammond asked if there was anyone in the room that already had a CPAT card and ONE guy raised his hand. This was in the room following the **** test.
    Jet there are some people that just view this thread, but don't post. I spoke to a couple guys at orientation that did. So I imagine there are many more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    Do suspensions show up in your high school transcripts? I was suspended for (ironically) pulling the fire alarm, but it was an accident. It was a one day suspension, but didn't include it in first draft of questionnaire, thinking its wasn't a big deal.
    No clue if that shows up, like I said though, nothing to hide, they're not going to DQ me for being late class in HS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by allroad View Post
    last time i went i saw guys had a green sheet and i think a yellow or orange sheet, i was looking at
    my green sheet and it said #c8802-0001 i fall in that range of #1000-2088,
    who had a yellow or orange sheet, can you post what kind of number range it had
    might not be mean anything just wondering.
    Couldn't that have meant a social security number with an ending between 0001 and 8802?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NEC1234 View Post
    Couldn't that have meant a social security number with an ending between 0001 and 8802?
    Those numbers were the test number way back in 2006. They number the test and that is what it was on the letter we received with our randomly assigned number out of 17,000. Nothing to do with our SSN's. hope this helps.
    allroad likes this.

Thread Information