Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

CFD created a new recruitment page on Facebook.

New application available on July 16th for testing December 13 & 14

Forum Member

I know I'm late to the game but I can't read through 553 pages on this thread. Can anyone please give me a quick run down of how this last list went ? How many hirings, how many classes etc. ? Are there any preferred demographics for Chicago ? Basically would it be worth it for a white male with veteran status to go across the country to take this next test ? Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebuffyguy View Post
    I know I'm late to the game but I can't read through 553 pages on this thread. Can anyone please give me a quick run down of how this last list went ? How many hirings, how many classes etc. ? Are there any preferred demographics for Chicago ? Basically would it be worth it for a white male with veteran status to go across the country to take this next test ? Thanks
    Yes, 25% of the hires must be vets. It's a lottery and has nothing to do with ability. Your vet status will let you jump over thousands of candidates.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iknownothing View Post
    Yes, 25% of the hires must be vets. It's a lottery and has nothing to do with ability. Your vet status will let you jump over thousands of candidates.
    I'll definitely look into it then, thanks for the info.

Forum Member

white male
    there is no point

Forum Member

How many people on this thread are all processed waiting for the next class

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman86 View Post
    How many people on this thread are all processed waiting for the next class
    A bunch I am sure

Forum Member

Based on the numbers that showed up to schedule medicals last December. There are at least 44 of us

Forum Member

What is the typical class size? I would hate for them to say something like, "It's not worth putting together a class for just 44 people."

Forum Member

A know of two other people still waiting to take the medical and I am still waiting to do it so maybe with those who have not taken the medical yet the have enough for a class.

Forum Member

That really depends on your age. You can't be one day over 37 at the start of the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy1 View Post
    What is the typical class size? I would hate for them to say something like, "It's not worth putting together a class for just 44 people."
    150 was the target size they had for the last two. That includes crossovers who take up around 20% (30 seats) if I'm remembering correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by bilyboy View Post
    A know of two other people still waiting to take the medical and I am still waiting to do it so maybe with those who have not taken the medical yet the have enough for a class.
    I'm still waiting for medical also.

On a side note, I spoke with someone over the weekend and he said it looks like there will be a class this fall and people at this point of processing won't be dropped out. The city has invested too much money into.

Forum Member

On a side note, I spoke with someone over the weekend and he said it looks like there will be a class this fall and people at this point of processing won't be dropped out. The city has invested too much money into.[/QUOTE]

I am glad someone else is hearing that to. I was told that by a few different people now.

Forum Member

Went down to medical division to get signed off on some med issues, was told that they are shooting for a fall start date also

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bilyboy View Post
    On a side note, I spoke with someone over the weekend and he said it looks like there will be a class this fall and people at this point of processing won't be dropped out. The city has invested too much money into.
    I am glad someone else is hearing that to. I was told that by a few different people now.[/QUOTE]

I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty down after seeing the new test being offered and we haven't gotten any official word. Seeing that person and having a conversation about it at a family BBQ on the 4th helped out and made me feel better, but not quite as much as getting anything official would.

It's kind of like, should we apply again, retest and hope we process we before we hit 37, or keep riding this out in hopes it works out for us. Not to mention the conversations that I have with my wife who doesn't understand the lack of communication from the city that the rest of us have just kind of had to deal with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk

Forum Member

Well of course we reapply..,.,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Runner05 View Post
    Well of course we reapply..,.,
    But why if they're not dumping the people already in processing?

Its a little more straight forward for CPD. New tests add people to the existing list, it doesn't replace it.

Forum Member

If you don't want to reapply that's fine with me. One less guy on the list. If our list goes through then awesome so we don't need to show up to the written. If we get dumped on you don't reapply. I can all but guarantee you that you will never be hired...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gocubsgo77 View Post
    Went down to medical division to get signed off on some med issues, was told that they are shooting for a fall start date also
    So how does that work? For example lets say someone has hypertension or hyperlipidemia....you just have you doctor sign off saying its ok down at the medical division?

Forum Member

If you don't want to reapply that's fine with me. One less guy on the list. If our list goes through then awesome so we don't need to show up to the written. If we get dumped on you don't reapply. I can all but guarantee you that you will never be hired...
    I understand not taking the test again if our list dumped means your chances become nill. But realistically, most guys in processing limbo right now are within a few years of the max entry age. The odds are highly unlikely that we'll get high enough on the random draw to be processed before we're too old.

Hence why it'd be nice to hear what they'll do with us.

Forum Member

Agreed, I felt the exact same way

Forum Member

Has anyone called to ask if we should reapply?

Forum Member

I applied.. By the time the written rolls around we will know if we made the academy or not.

Forum Member

I applied.. By the time the written rolls around we will know if we made the academy or not.
    I'm donating another $30 but have to postpone. I can't find the copies of the documents I submitted during processing. Need to get a copy of my CPS transcript or diploma.

Rather unfortunate there isn't a way to check a box that says "you've got my entire life history on file"

Forum Member

Dream Big can you explain how the preference points or ranking works? I posted this in the new chicago forum but no one seems to know. Anyway how exactly does the preference work? As i understand it the test is just Pass/Fail with ranking being randomly given by social security numbers or something. With that being said is the ranking tiered based on preference. Like:

List order:

Veterans
    CPS grads
    Academy(?) grads
    Rest of list.

Just wondering if they automatically put everyone in front of people who have zero preference at all since the ranking is not done by how well you did on the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E-11-FF View Post
    Dream Big can you explain how the preference points or ranking works? I posted this in the new chicago forum but no one seems to know. Anyway how exactly does the preference work? As i understand it the test is just Pass/Fail with ranking being randomly given by social security numbers or something. With that being said is the ranking tiered based on preference. Like:

List order:

Veterans
    CPS grads
    Academy(?) grads
    Rest of list.

Just wondering if they automatically put everyone in front of people who have zero preference at all since the ranking is not done by how well you did on the test.
    Honestly, I have zero clue. You did miss the Line of Duty preference that I think is the highest though.

Someone passed this WGN Article to me this morning.

Larry Langford, CFD Media Affairs, says they expect 30,000 people to apply to take the tests. Right now there are 15,000 people on the list– those people would have to reapply.

Thread Information