Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
    Honestly, I have zero clue. You did miss the Line of Duty preference that I think is the highest though.

Someone passed this WGN Article to me this morning.
    That doesn't mean that they wont hire another class off of the old list, just means the process will create a new list not expand on the old list. That being said, I would worry more about cpats expiring than the new test. Stay on top of those expiration dates. I would say the city is at least 1 1/2 years away from hiring off of any new list. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    That doesn't mean that they wont hire another class off of the old list, just means the process will create a new list not expand on the old list. That being said, I would worry more about cpats expiring than the new test. Stay on top of those expiration dates. I would say the city is at least 1 1/2 years away from hiring off of any new list. Good luck!
    I'd be surprised if anyone new is processed from the old list. We'll be fortunate if those of us who have already starting processing continue through. The biggest thing is the CPAT as you pointed out, which for anyone taken through the city covers end of next month.

Forum Member

Are they really going to make us retake the cpat for the fall class?

Forum Member

Has anyone spoken with anyone from HR. As far as I'm concerned these are all rummers of us getting processed or even there being a fall class. It really sucks that we get treated like this, especially when some of us have made sacrifices already for this job.

Forum Member

Haven't spoke with anybody from hr but was told by the medical director that anybody who has completed medical were slated for a fall class

Forum Member

When did u go down there cubs?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Runner05 View Post
    When did u go down there cubs?
    Went down a few weeks ago

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gocubsgo77 View Post
    Haven't spoke with anybody from hr but was told by the medical director that anybody who has completed medical were slated for a fall class
    That's awesome for you guys.

Just wish the people stuck between BI & medical had a clue.

Forum Member

I heard IAFF Local 2 is going to try to fight the preference points for CPS grads.

Forum Member

Is this the first time they are offering preference points for cps grads ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighter_28 View Post
    Is this the first time they are offering preference points for cps grads ?
    Yes it is.

Forum Member

If you guys still waiting to get on want to be Chicago Firefighters you'd be out of your mind not to reapply. CFD needs guys, lots of them. I can't see there not being at least 1 more class from this list. Right now it's prob Oct. things take forever with the city and they change every day, that's the only thing you can count on.

Don't count yourself in unless your on, good luck and keep every single avenue open.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justwaitin View Post
    If you guys still waiting to get on want to be Chicago Firefighters you'd be out of your mind not to reapply. CFD needs guys, lots of them. I can't see there not being at least 1 more class from this list. Right now it's prob Oct. things take forever with the city and they change every day, that's the only thing you can count on.

Don't count yourself in unless your on, good luck and keep every single avenue open.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the issue for most of us who are from the '06 test list and have been going through processing will run into the issue of hitting the age limit. It'll likely be March at the earliest that the test results are in and they have a list of qualified candidates. Based on this last processing round, it'll be 6 months before the first class starts.

The lawsuits that held up hiring crushed a lot of people from the '06 list but it opens a lot of slots for people from the one they're doing this winter. Great opportunity for younger people.

Forum Member

Just as an FYI. I got called into the medical division today. I had my physical back in the first week of January. Looks like things are still moving along. I asked the nurse if this meant there was going to be another academy and she said, "Yes. I mean . . . there should be." So take that for what it is worth.

Just thought I would put that out there.
    Pinkus526 likes this.

Forum Member

Congrats, Sammy1, hope that's a good sign! I'm planning on taking the test come December for the new applicants as I missed the 2006 one. Any idea on what to review for the written or is this your basic comprehension test such as an ACT or reasoning?

Thanks for any advice you could offer (Or anyone else for that matter)!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy1 View Post
    Just as an FYI. I got called into the medical division today. I had my physical back in the first week of January. Looks like things are still moving along. I asked the nurse if this meant there was going to be another academy and she said, "Yes. I mean . . . there should be." So take that for what it is worth.

Just thought I would put that out there.
    I talked to with someone in personnel last week. They said people not in a class currently should take the December test, but that there will be a lot to be done before they can start using it, so there's time to use the '05 list.

Ryno, as I recall it's a standard aptitude & personality test.

Forum Member

Hey thought i add to your post. i also took my medical this year in mid June and had to go back in July to take a DR. paper they need and the DR. told me there would be a class this year too. So i hope its true because this is my 2nd time processing and making it this far, its been a long time wait.

And as for the new test coming out i feel like before they call people from that new list there will be lawsuits from candidates from 2006 that made it far in the processing and dont get hired. it will be just like they did from the 1995 lawsuit. Things will be put on hold. so I hope CFD do it right this time....

Forum Member

Wait davey they called you in June for medical and you got flagged in July?
    This whole process makes zero sense...

Forum Member

Yeah because it take weeks to get your results in. But Am Good Now.. Just waiting to get a called. Hope its soon..

Forum Member

Thanks for the info Dream Big. I have my CPAT on the 25th of this month and in the mean time will be applying to other areas such as Niles/Naperville, etc. Hope everyone is able to be called, esp those that are in the final steps of Medical.

Anyone happen to know about the CPS points? I did not attend a CPS high school...feel that's kind of unfair to be punished because I went to a northside Catholic HS, but hey, what are we gonna do about it right? Chance that this may raise another flag/lawsuit and halt the December candidate testing and list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno3216 View Post
    Thanks for the info Dream Big. I have my CPAT on the 25th of this month and in the mean time will be applying to other areas such as Niles/Naperville, etc. Hope everyone is able to be called, esp those that are in the final steps of Medical.

Anyone happen to know about the CPS points? I did not attend a CPS high school...feel that's kind of unfair to be punished because I went to a northside Catholic HS, but hey, what are we gonna do about it right? Chance that this may raise another flag/lawsuit and halt the December candidate testing and list?
    No announcement has been made about CPS grad points. I doubt it's much of a preference though. If anything it's probably to reward people who have been part of the "Chicago" eco public works system for most of their lives and to continue that. In an era where people are pulling their kids out of the CPS schools to go to private / charter schools, I personally think it's nice to reward people for sticking through it. Especially since this is a job that's going to put you in that sector of public works and require you to essentially put your family in that same school system.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
    Hey thought i add to your post. i also took my medical this year in mid June and had to go back in July to take a DR. paper they need and the DR. told me there would be a class this year too. So i hope its true because this is my 2nd time processing and making it this far, its been a long time wait.

And as for the new test coming out i feel like before they call people from that new list there will be lawsuits from candidates from 2006 that made it far in the processing and dont get hired. it will be just like they did from the 1995 lawsuit. Things will be put on hold. so I hope CFD do it right this time....
    At least you went to medical. I'd love to get that call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
    No announcement has been made about CPS grad points. I doubt it's much of a preference though. If anything it's probably to reward people who have been part of the "Chicago" eco public works system for most of their lives and to continue that. In an era where people are pulling their kids out of the CPS schools to go to private / charter schools, I personally think it's nice to reward people for sticking through it. Especially since this is a job that's going to put you in that sector of public works and require you to essentially put your family in that same school system.
    If you grew up in a **** Chicago neighborhood with a seedy neighborhood High School you'd send your kids to private school if you could too. Why should people be punished if their parents tried their best to send them somewhere better than what CPS offers?

They should have just given residency points if they are big on letting residents get in.

btw I am a CPS grad, and I say its BS
    Last edited by ChicagoGuy; 08-09-2014 at 12:59 AM.

Forum Member

Hey everyone who might start a fall class. I am one of the guys who processed last year and have heard absolutely nothing since December. Well I got a call from a nurse last week and told me to go in this week for some doctors paper. Don't know what it's all about, but I did my physical in January. Take that for what it's worth. I'll let you guys know what happens when I go there this week.

Forum Member

sounds like classes are going to start up soon again, medic ones already going

If people are looking for some help with exercises, here is a nice website that gives you all sorts of
    cross-training workouts and shows you how to do everything. gives you sort of a program. A friend of mine started it. I do them, so thought I'd share

http://kotrained.com/

Thread Information