Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

no post card received here, but i imagine that pertains to the new testing coming up. out of all the correspondence over the years during processing i have never received any info via postcard

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gocubsgo77 View Post
    no post card received here, but i imagine that pertains to the new testing coming up. out of all the correspondence over the years during processing i have never received any info via postcard
    I dont know cubs but i doubt that they would send me that card for the new test for 2 reasons, one being the fact that i never applied for the new exam and even if i did want to test again i couldnt since i will be too old (38)

Its the first time i received a post card from the CFD as well, seems to me they sent out a friendly reminder about the cpat or something?

It was postmarked the day before i got it so i literally received it the next day, maybe more people will receive a card as well in the next few days

Forum Member

Last edited by Runner05; 09-12-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Forum Member

I also have not received a post card about getting a new cpat card. I got mine last June. They're only good for a year right?

I had the medical follow up stuff a couple months ago. Submitted my letters and whatnot but haven't heard from them.

I also have not signed up for the new test.

Forum Member

Hey you guys who have recently received interest cards what was you RAN? And when did you get cards?

Forum Member

I also got my card in june '13, medical in early jan., called in to med. division for paperwork regarding blood work last month. Got cleared two days later and was told my file went back to personnel. I havent recieved any cpat post card and havent signed up for the new test yet. However, a guy that works with my brother who was in the same group as me when we signed up for medical appointments did receive one last week. Idk what the deal is. The offer of employment letter we all received after the background check says nothing about a current cpat as a condition of being hired. I hope the city isnt pulling some bs.

Forum Member

I have a bad feeling those of us who haven't gotten the postcard aren't going to be in the class..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Runner05 View Post
    I have a bad feeling those of us who haven't gotten the postcard aren't going to be in the class..
    I feel the same way, they make you feel all excited by giving all of us a conditional offer of employment letters and they have no plans to hire probably half of the people they give that letter to. Really kind of a mind game they have been playing. People i know on the cfd say its the greatest job in the world however the road to there is full of BS, mind games and disappointments. It would be really nice if the card they sent would have an estimated academy date on there since this CPAT test needs some planning to take it and cost alot of money. I have no problem with the money however i am running out of time and really dont want to waste the money if i am going to be too old when they finally decide to run an academy. I cant believe this process has been dragging on for 5 years now.......

For those that are wondering i did call the CPAT Facility and they do have 2 options, first being just like we did for the city with orientation, 2 practice runs and a test. If you complete the practice run in time you are done or you can do a one time test out and show up, go through the coarse (hopefully pass) and get your card sane day. Both are the same price
    soxsider likes this.

Forum Member

That instructor wood must have said "its the greatest job in the world' 15 times last time I was there. They are well aware (as hammond even said) that some people wait they're whole lives for this one shot at this and want and never wanted nothing more than to be a chicago ff. Yet this process is beyond f'ed up and is completely unorganized. Now I know Im not entitled to anything but I really would like to believe that if they knew how important this opportunity is to some, they would be more organized and professional about this. This job is all I've ever wanted since I was a kid. Nothing else. Not some ff from the burbs or any other city, just chicago. My city that I love. After taking that test that a 3rd grader could pass, we got our ran numbers. Numbers not based on scores but by are ss numbers. Since 2008 Ive called hr to see what number they were at once a month. Figuring that I would have a chance to get in, I went to school and got my emt license. I did that knowing I would have to do it again in the academy but just wanted to see how tough it was and to have the knowledge beforehand so when and if I made it to the academy, it would just be like a refresher. After receiving my license, I did nothing with it. I just wanted to know I could do it for the cfd. May '13 was like a dream as I though 'holy **** this is really happening' lol. When we went and were told to come back to sign up for cpat, I thought Id be slick and take it early so when we did come back for the sign up I would already have my card. Illinois locations were booked solid so I scheduled and drove out to Indianapolis (closest location I could find) and did it. When we went back for cpat sign-up, ms. hammond asked our group if anyone had a valid cpat card, I was the only one in the room that raised my hand. It didnt mean ****, my bi told me when she did my home visit that they had already been checking people out for months before me. When she requested a work history from the ss office I literally ran from 8th and wabash to the federal bld, got it and ran back (jobsite on 8th and wabash) to where my car was and drove it straight to her at 35th and michigan. She had it in less than 2 hrs. When she called my job and told them what she was doing, they immediately figured I'd be leaving soon to the cfd even though I told them that chances were slim. I even was forced to train my replacement. Since then Ive not only lost hours but was passed for promotion because as my boss put it, "youll be leaving here soon anyway. You dont want this anymore". Im a single parent btw and have beyond broke my balls to rise up in my company and trade. I shook my head when he said that and told myself that hopefully my boss was right. I know for a fact that my background check was completed in late october. I finally went for my medical Jan. 2 I believe and was told the "no news is good news line" every time I checked with hr since. Ms. Hammond even one time told me that if something was wrong that I would have heard from them soon after I took the medical. Something was wrong only I wasnt called about it until late august. My white blood cell count was low at that time and I was told to have a blood test taken by my doctor. I did and everything was normal. Took the results and a letter feom my dr. and I was told I was cleared. Ive had my fingers crossed about this nov. class but this cpat post card stuff has me nervous. I never got one. Ive done everything I was told and some sooner than many yet I dont understand how some people that did some of these steps way after me are in now. There was nothing that made my background check take longer. My bi (who as it turned out was a friend of some of my family) told me that mine was easy but not to hold my breath because 'between u and me' the city does things *** backwards. A guy in the last class did his cpat way after me and was cleared by his bi after me so how the hell could he make it into the last class? As ive read the posts on this thread, im aware some have gone through waaaay more bs than me with this and have been in this process for years. I truly feel sorry that you've had to. I think its a shame and beyond unprofessional. I also would give the finger to anyone that says that hiring shenanigans with the city are a thing of the past. I know they dont owe me **** and im not entitled to **** but I do wish they'd realize that while some guys are wanting this for money and days off, others would do this for half the salary and half the time off because the job itself is their dream. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and mine is that they're hiring process is a joke! It almost makes me not want to shell out the 30 bucks tomorrow to do this again! But it is a dream to me and if I dont I know I'll always wish I did because who knows.... Sorry for the book here and I know you guys that have had it way worse are probably rolling your eyes but I just needed to say this to someone, somewhere because I dont vent about this anywhere else. Good luck guys and if this post card thing is only meant for guys intended to be in the nov. class, good luck on the cpat too.i

Forum Member

Made a call down to personnel division asked if an updated cpat card was required to continue further processing was told that everyone who is in the process will be contacted via phone call or post card to update cpat,I imagine they may be sending them out in the order we cleared medicals or took medicals?? Who knows??

Forum Member

Soxsider, the honesty is appreciated. Everyone says to watch what you say because you don't know who is reading this. Everyone tries to remain hopeful but it can be difficult in the face of the lack of communication.

Forum Member

Second academy group graduated yesterday, congrats to all

Forum Member

Soxsider i feel your frustration as well. Unfortunately for us this process has been a whole lot longer than necessary due to the lawsuits. Most people in The past processed and either made it or didnt. As with most of us i was first processed in 09 and literally put alot of things in my life on hold with the anticipation of the cfd calling. I continued to rent instead of buying a house since i didnt want to buy in the city if i didnt have to, and i didnt want to have sell a house in the burbs if i got on with the cfd. I have been banking alot of vacation time at my current job just incase i got the call. I have been putting off alot of big purchases (car,tv etc) to save money so i would be in a better position. I know thousands test for the CFD and never hear a thing and i am glad to make it this far but i am imagining that a huge number of candidates are no longer eligible simply due to the age requirement, so they are probably forced to run a new test soon even if they didnt want to. But i feel your frustration since my journey is almost over as well due to the incredible amount of time this whole thing has taken! I never thought 5 years ago i would still be dealing with this BS in 2014....i can tell you if this doesnt work out i am gonna take one hell of a vacation!

Good luck to all of you and i can say that i believe the next test will be a good one to be on since they need to hire alot of ffs

Thread Information