Like Tree289Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by soxsider View Post
    Shut me up. Im sorry for assuming and not just asking what you meant. I was already a little angry as I had just read a pm by someone on here telling me that if I would have "put in work" to get this job by building up my qualifications I wouldnt be on here bitc*ing about not being hired. There was even mention of me not getting a degree in fire science. Ive thought about trying that route but its just so hard to get back to school with the work I do now while also raising a family. Checking with personnel once a month for years now and seeing my ran number getting closer and closer, I always just figured that when the time came I'd be ok. A foolish thought knowing that nothing is ever guaranteed in life. Well maybe after I see what number I get on this next exam I'll brainstorm options and plans. This job is all Ive wanted my whole life and if I didnt try the medic crossover route or even see if I could get on as a medic than I would never be able to say that I did absolutely everything I could to follow a dream. Sorry agan chiguy and thanks for the well wish's.
    No reason to be sorry brother. CFDs process is crazy, everyone agrees!

Good luck, and if you don't get called for your class I hope you can go get your medic and get on that list. Its a lot more predictable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gocubsgo77 View Post
    to the few guys that received post cards did it say on it when a cpat needed to be completed by?
    No sir, it simply stated to be hired you needed a current CPAT and the cfd validates the cpat for 1 year from test date, contact a cpat facility to get a current card. Thats basically all it said

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by racer8 View Post
    No sir, it simply stated to be hired you needed a current CPAT and the cfd validates the cpat for 1 year from test date, contact a cpat facility to get a current card. Thats basically all it said

thanks for the info racer

Forum Member

Those who haven't gotten cards plan on doing the cpat anyway?

Forum Member

Thinking about it. I would hate for them to be trying to put that november class together (if they havent already) and end up calling me because others (possibly guys that received that post card and disregarded it) only for me to blow it by not having one. Idk what to do, its already the 20th so I would imagine notifications for fp would have to made within the next two or three weeks.?.? It would be a shame to **** away more money for nothing but also a shame to get called without a card. What a way to finally be eliminated

Forum Member

Nipsta isnt until oct. 11 and suf isnt until oct. 15, unless im misunderstanding the schedule on the websites. Now for what its worth, a reliable source was right about the start date of the last class and this november class quite some time in advance. When I talked to him the other day about this post card situation he told me that he did hear of the possibility of a spring class.

Forum Member

Thinking about it. I would hate for them to be trying to put that november class together (if they havent already) and end up calling me because others (possibly guys that received that post card and disregarded it) only for me to blow it by not having one. Idk what to do, its already the 20th so I would imagine notifications for fp would have to made within the next two or three weeks.?.? It would be a shame to **** away more money for nothing but also a shame to get called without a card. What a way to finally be eliminated
    Personally i would wait, you will have plenty of notice for final processing to hurry up and do a one time cpat test, just keep yourself in shape so you can pass it. The sufd has a onetime test out 2 times a month that you can rsvp for if you get any notice from the cfd. 165 bucks is alot of money to spend on that if you have no reason to have a current cpat card. Of coarse that is my opinion please do what you feel is right.

Plus i am sure they sent out postcards about the cpat to more than enough people since the city likes to have plenty of people "in the pipeline" for hiring. And i believe they will have another academy from our list next spring as well since it will take a long time for them to sort out applicants from the new december test and they really need to hire alot of people to make up for the 4 year hiatus of hiring due to the lawsuits
    Last edited by racer8; 09-20-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Forum Member

I agree with you, I think thats what Im going to do. I may have to take a day off next week for an appointment for my kid and was thinking about stopping there to see if I can find out anything. I was going to say that a friend received a post card and I didnt so Im curious. I think they share more info face to face than over the phone. If you or anyone else wants me to ask anything specific when Im there just let me know

Forum Member

Forum Member

I agree with you, I think thats what Im going to do. I may have to take a day off next week for an appointment for my kid and was thinking about stopping there to see if I can find out anything. I was going to say that a friend received a post card and I didnt so Im curious. I think they share more info face to face than over the phone. If you or anyone else wants me to ask anything specific when Im there just let me know
    Only question i have is an approximate date of the next academy! LOL let us know if you find out any info....thanks

Going down there in person is definitely better to get some info, the one time that i had to go there to update my address the woman was very friendly and helpful. All the phone calls and emails pretty much went unanswered, good luck and thanks for any info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoGuy View Post
    I know the process very well. Very, very, very well For both suburban full time and CFD. And yes I was referring to getting on as a medic and crossing over if you desired.

remember: CFD medic has no age restriction

Is there any age restriction when crossing over from medic to fire side? for example can a CFD medic crossover and start the academy at 44 years old?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by racer8 View Post
    Is there any age restriction when crossing over from medic to fire side? for example can a CFD medic crossover and start the academy at 44 years old?
    38 is still the cutoff for crossing over as well

Forum Member

I have not heard a single rumor except hear about a spring class. I really really hope I'm wrong. But I don't see it happening.

Forum Member

It would be hard to imagine that they would not put together at least one more class maybe two from the old list even after all the money they spent processing us and the time it will take to get a new test list together, all I keep hearing from people that if you haven't recived a letter that you are out of the process your good but we will see

Forum Member

I wasnt able to make it down there due to my son's doctors appointment being rescheduled but will this week. I was wondering though, if the next step is final processing, what exactly does that day consist of? Is it a 3hr drug test and a half hour of business or is it actually what it sounds like, paperwork and a class start date given? Im just curious because of old posts Ive read and wondered if fp is truly the last step. Also, the conditional offer letter has no expiration and is based on there being a class and passing the medical. Would they be obligated to hire anyone who received this letter and meets the requirements stated? Maybe im just over thinking the situation lol

Forum Member

I wasnt able to make it down there due to my son's doctors appointment being rescheduled but will this week. I was wondering though, if the next step is final processing, what exactly does that day consist of? Is it a 3hr drug test and a half hour of business or is it actually what it sounds like, paperwork and a class start date given? Im just curious because of old posts Ive read and wondered if fp is truly the last step. Also, the conditional offer letter has no expiration and is based on there being a class and passing the medical. Would they be obligated to hire anyone who received this letter and meets the requirements stated? Maybe im just over thinking the situation lol
    It's probably another **** test, but far shorter. Lots of paperwork, the offer for employment is still conditional. On the drug test and also on there being a class. There were people who did FP a few years ago and it was cancelled.
    soxsider likes this.

Forum Member

Has anyone received a post card who has not done medical yet? I am still waiting on medical and didn't get a postcard about retaking cpat.

Thread Information