Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
    Congrats to those of you who recieved the emails. Best of luck.
    thank you, personally i still have doubts with all the BS we have been through to this point..........fingers crossed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by soxsider View Post
    Congrats to those who received the email! Did anyone receive this email but did not get the cpat postcard a few weeks back? Anyone receive an actual letter about the nov. class? Just anxious and curious but giving up hope. Thanks
    No actual letter, i understand giving up hope but i think they are going to hire well into next year with our list due to how long it takes them to process people......plus there has been threats of a lawsuit with the CPS preference so here they go again

Forum Member

They aren't hiring off this list anymore after the next class. If they are they would be calling in more numbers for processing. Those of us who are getting eff up the A for the next class aren't even close in numbers to fill another class

Forum Member

I agree with you runner, I just don't get out of the few people Ive heard from getting a email or postcard how they could possibly fill a class?

Forum Member

I don't either. I honestly thought there were only 50-60 of us left who did medical and were not in a class. Why they wouldn't throw us all in who knows.. Unless they are going to fill it with candidates to prevent another lawsuit or something..

How many people have u heard of getting the card/letters?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Runner05 View Post
    I don't either. I honestly thought there were only 50-60 of us left who did medical and were not in a class. Why they wouldn't throw us all in who knows.. Unless they are going to fill it with candidates to prevent another lawsuit or something..

How many people have u heard of getting the card/letters?
    just people from this thread

Forum Member

There are definitely more people out there than just us checking this board. Would have been nice to get any info but that's just not in the cards.

Hopefully no one (else) was terribly impacted by this. I landed another job and I'm doing some additional training to further advance the career I've had. Stinks getting this close to living a dream and not being down, especially when family and friends tell you what they think of the process.
    soxsider likes this.

Forum Member

I didn't get an email or anything about an upcoming class.

I am surprised because I feel like for the people that got the conditional offer letter they are required to put them into a class unless they get medically dq'd. Their failure to do that is just asking for another lawsuit. I know a few attorneys that would probably take that case.

Maybe the people that got the email are those that did not have follow up medical issues. And the rest of us didn't get the email yet because medical office has not gotten around to officially clearing us? ... Just a theory.
    soxsider likes this.

Forum Member

Ive thought the same about the conditional offer but haven't mentioned it because I dont want to look like "another ahole trying to sue the city". Yes it is a conditional offer but what if you met the requirements in that offer? It states that if you fail to meet any of the required standards, or if you are unable or unwilling to begin training on the date designated by the fire dept., the offer shall be revoked. The offer is further conditioned upon the availability of an open position in an academy class. If you have been cleared by medical this offer should be valid. There is no expiration date so whether the next academy is nov. 2014 or nov. 2015 this offer should be valid. I know what many think of the women's lawsuit and what everyone should think of the other bs lawsuit but if any of us sued, I wonder how it would be viewed? In my opinion, we'd be the only lawsuit that wasnt a joke! They gave us the offer!

Forum Member

Anyone not gotten the letter done or doing thier cpat?

Forum Member

Word on the streets is Mid-November for a class of 70. Pretty reliable source. Good luck to those who are moving on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by soxsider View Post
    Ive thought the same about the conditional offer but haven't mentioned it because I dont want to look like "another ahole trying to sue the city". Yes it is a conditional offer but what if you met the requirements in that offer? It states that if you fail to meet any of the required standards, or if you are unable or unwilling to begin training on the date designated by the fire dept., the offer shall be revoked. The offer is further conditioned upon the availability of an open position in an academy class. If you have been cleared by medical this offer should be valid. There is no expiration date so whether the next academy is nov. 2014 or nov. 2015 this offer should be valid. I know what many think of the women's lawsuit and what everyone should think of the other bs lawsuit but if any of us sued, I wonder how it would be viewed? In my opinion, we'd be the only lawsuit that wasnt a joke! They gave us the offer!
    There were a lot of people who got to final processing a few years back, had conditional letters and what not then didn't go through. The hang up is the "open position" / having a class. Best of luck though.

Forum Member

Anyone been able to get ahold of ms Hammond to see what's going on with the next class?

Forum Member

I missed a call from Ms. Hammond today. Not sure what it was about

Forum Member

Pinkus I read your past posts. You were in fp for the first class a year ago. Are you still not on?!

Forum Member

Runner, yes I was in for fp last year and had to defer for some family reasons.

Forum Member

I thought you could only wave once. After that if u waive again your gone. That's the state law anyway. Did u waive the second class too?

Forum Member

But with there being no expiration or time limit on the offer shouldnt the next "open position" still be given whenever that is? People have made it to fp and not got on but I wonder if anyone tried doing anything legally about it. That offer is a legal document and the city doesnt do the best job at avoiding lawsuits. Im no lawyer by far and would feel like a dick trying to sue the city for a job but at the same time it was pretty ****ty for them to say what was said and then give this offer for nothing. You would think that after all the lawsuits and bs that they would have a better hiring system in place and at the very least, maybe someone suing over it might help with that so some guy from the next list doesnt get strung along for nothing like many of us and even worse, the ones that went through this twice for nothing. Idk. Like I said, Im no lawyer but there not being a cutoff on that offer doesnt sit well with me and I feel less bad about looking in to it legally because they offered it. It would be far from being compared to the black 111 or womens bs lawsuits in my opinion. Maybe Im wrong on all of this, idk.

Forum Member

That was supposed to be a reply to dream bigs reply to my last post not some random post 10 posts later lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Runner05 View Post
    I thought you could only wave once. After that if u waive again your gone. That's the state law anyway. Did u waive the second class too?
    The city cam and has taken back conditional offers of employment. Right before they hired off of the 2006 list, there was a group off of the 95 list who had received such an offer. The difference was they had a new list to hire from. As long as there is a new list, the city can hire from that list. The 95 guys had a lawyer and there was nothing legally they could do about it. The conditional offer is just that, conditional. The city can hire as needed. Does the letter say anything about not terminating current employment? I have to dig my old letter out and look. I have heard from a very good source that a class is going in mid-November of 70. So that must be what the city needs to hire. I have a feeling that this will be the last class off of the 2006 list.

Sorry. This was supposed to be in response to Soxsider.

I know what you guys are going through. I was initially called in 2009 and was on hold until 2013. I had to re-apply just like you guys. I was lucky I got my CPAT on my own right away and then I was hired. Keep the faith and hope you hear something. If the class is mid-November then you guys should hear something real soon. FYI, after my medical I received my offer of employment on November 1st for the mid-November class. GOOD LUCK to all!!!

Forum Member

HAd a post deleted bc it doesn't matter

Forum Member

I know it's very easy to get discouraged from this process and lately with the email/postcards sent out but with the current group being processed of 45 or so guys give or take depending on medical dq and with crossovers a class of 70 staring in November makes sense, it's hard not to look to much into it but I guess we will see what happens

Forum Member

Hey all,

I figured this would be the thread to go to regarding the test and I am really sorry for those still waiting, the process seems to be a pain. As a newbie to the test, would you suggest picking up a book to study off of for the December testing? I was offered a website to register for a session on the questions being offered, but the registration fee was $600....that's a little pricey right now. I noticed I can pick up some online materials for around $80-100...would that be a better route?

Thanks and best of luck to those that get into the November class!

Forum Member

Academy starts november 17....final processing is the 23rd.....good luck to you guys i truly feel that they will hire more off the current list but i could and probably am wrong. I know that you all want this job because you wouldn't be wasting the time and energy on this forum if it wasn't your passion......best of luck

Forum Member

Well guess I don't have to do the cpat next week. Was gonna sign today to do it. Good for you racer for getting in before you got too old. You got lucky

Thread Information