Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 451 of 557 FirstFirst ... 351401441448449450451452453454461501551 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,020 of 11121
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Seriously is Chicago the only city that charges to test.. 30 bucks for the police exam... I already paid for this one.. still waiting..
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 08-10-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Forum Member

Checking this board is slowly becoming the highlight of my day, how sad.
    Last edited by ffdino88; 09-24-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Idk I want CFD.. just don't want to shut down options if it gets stalled again being 34 I don't think I can get through another test.. being through this before its totally nerve wreaking. I hope we get this though..
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 08-10-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Forum Member

nbsmith28

If I don't get the job. it gives me a reason the get the hell out of Cook County. I'm actually in California right now checking out some coastal areas. Much more expensive, but considering the weather and scenery, (unlike Crook County) you actually get what you pay for. Talked to some FF's out here in Orange County, and they said age restrictions for employment are against the law in California. The only problem here is that FF salary in LA or Orange County puts you a little over the California poverty line. I just paid $12 for two steak tacos last night

Forum Member

Yeah I was going to go to phoenix but held off for Chicago.. I love Chicago but if this fall's through might be headed to Arizona Havent looked into there fire department yet but the sheriff and police out there

Forum Member

whats going on in here? anyone trying to get on the Chicago Fire Department?

Forum Member

If you have any interest in any other departments don't you think you should be pursuing those options? It's not quick or easy to get on the job anywhere, so there's no purpose to wait on CFD. If you have other opportunities you have interest in, it's foolish to not at least get the ball rolling in pursuit of those, but just my 2 cents.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    If you have any interest in any other departments don't you think you should be pursuing those options? It's not quick or easy to get on the job anywhere, so there's no purpose to wait on CFD. If you have other opportunities you have interest in, it's foolish to not at least get the ball rolling in pursuit of those, but just my 2 cents.

I am currently waiting on about 8 lists. Processing to be hired on 3 besides CFD. As much as I want CFD, (or it at least used to be be my #1 pick) I am realistic. Getting on the job for me is not just about being in Chicago, it is about being a firefighter. As a paramedic already, I will say that while suburban depts may not be as busy as CFD, they ALL get the fires, accidents, gunshots, etc eventually. My first love is to be a firefighter, and I say if you want this career bad enough, you will pursue every avenue to reach the goal. So my advice is that if you want it bad enough guys, continue testing everywhere you can. The competition can be daunting, but if you play the numbers, you increase the odds of success. We all know that anything can happen with CFD, so I am, personally keeping all options open.

Forum Member

Exactly my point Blaze, b/c it's not easy to get on anywhere, so saying if CFD doesn't work out I'm going to try this place gives the impression that CFD is the only place it's tough to get a job or something. It's tough everywhere, so to me you should have been getting the ball rolling elsewhere if you have interest in being a firefighter. Also just to comment on the suburbs, I would agree they aren't as busy as CFD in general, but there are also some suburbs that are busier than certain houses in the city. The truth is, some of us on here have clout and will have some preference when choosing a house if we get on the job, but others are just going to be stuck and some in an undesirable spot, where possibly that suburban job might be looking better.

Forum Member

has anyone heard anything as far as a timetable when processing will start back up?

i know someone said they physically went down to hq to give an updated vehicle registration and was told to xpect the call "soon". jetguy also said that the hold up was promotions going through the academy.

september 1st, maybe? anything?

what did the background entail last time? i was only a january 10 PAT guy last time.

Forum Member

Nobody really knows anything, if they tell you any different, they're full of it. September 1st is the CPAT cutoff date, so it's possible they are waiting on that date, but who knows. Considering the speculated November academy start, I expected things to begin moving again prior to September in order to get everyone through BI and then scheduled and through medical, but who knows, it isn't as if November has any certainty either. During BI, the investigator meets with you and comes to your residence, so we're not just talking about a matter of waiting for them to just call us and say go get your medical, so that's why to me them starting in September would be tough for November academy.

We are all quite familiar with the process of rushing us to wait, so no surprises anymore.

Forum Member

i understand that there may be a class in November and one later on possibly in march, the city is nothing but rumors and I know a lot of guys taking the CPAT to crossover. I have two questions for everyone-

1. Does anyone know as of right now if they will stop at 2800 or so calling lottery numbers, or have they mentioned about calling more people?

2. Any talk at Clinton street or anywhere else about a new test, possibly in 2014? read the article carefully

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...missioner.html

Please relay any information you may have, I am also on the list but would like to hear the latest rumors/information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npd101 View Post
    i understand that there may be a class in November and one later on possibly in march, the city is nothing but rumors and I know a lot of guys taking the CPAT to crossover. I have two questions for everyone-

1. Does anyone know as of right now if they will stop at 2800 or so calling lottery numbers, or have they mentioned about calling more people?

2. Any talk at Clinton street or anywhere else about a new test, possibly in 2014? read the article carefully

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...missioner.html

Please relay any information you may have, I am also on the list but would like to hear the latest rumors/information
    Just do a little reading on this forum, it's full of rumors. When they administered this test in 2006, they said they hoped to give a new exam every few years, which obviously is not true, so who knows when a new test will be given.

Forum Member

Maybe it's cause we had to deal with disappointment in 09&11 with getting hurried along and then hearing nothing..but I got a bad feeling about this process im thinking it may be delayed. Who knows though keep waiting I guess like the past 4yrs.

Forum Member

Not trying to be negative just worried is all. Last thing I want to do is start the pessimist thoughts

I'm not worried. There's plenty of time for them to gather everyone. If we don't hear something by September 15th Then I'd be worried.

Forum Member

You guys do all remember that the very first time they called us in this time we were supposed to schedule CPAT and that got pushed back a month until the next time we got called in. So this process was postponed before it even got started, so again, lets not be surprised by any delays. For this entire group this should be the norm, so nobody should be worried/disappointed, this should simply be the expectation.

JMH
    Forum Member

I completely agree.....maybe i'm being overly optimistic about this, but I kind of feel that if they spent all this money to do all these drug tests, etc...That they plan on the majority of us going through. I cant imagine they are going to waste money on people and not intend on them coming into class..

I'm guessing that they are waiting for the CPAT tests to finalize and then see were they are at and move forward.

I agree as well. As much as they say it doesn't matter I think there's still some form of organization behind who gets in this next class and who doesn't. I don't care what they say. They're scared of another lawsuit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I completely agree.....maybe i'm being overly optimistic about this, but I kind of feel that if they spent all this money to do all these drug tests, etc...That they plan on the majority of us going through. I cant imagine they are going to waste money on people and not intend on them coming into class..

I'm guessing that they are waiting for the CPAT tests to finalize and then see were they are at and move forward.
    Is this your first time going through any sort of processing? Many of us recall thinking this same thing regarding wasting money only to find ourselves restarting pretty fresh in the process after already passing drug tests, physicals, backgrounds, medicals. City wasted tons of money on that all for nothing to come out of it.

I certainly hope this is legit this time, but none of us have any clue what is going on behind the scenes. There is one thing I know for certain, this is Chicago and we have a mayor fighting a money battle, which we have already seen his view regarding manning and pensions and for that reason, I truly have no feeling of certainty with what the future of the CFD holds.

Thread Information