Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 452 of 554 FirstFirst ... 352402442449450451452453454455462502552 ... LastLast
Results 9,021 to 9,040 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

The only thing I keep hearing from my sources is the the CFD in a nutshell is OLD. They need an influx of youth and if we don't get in this go around you can bet your *** a new test is in the works that would eliminate a great deal of us on age alone.

Forum Member

I agree Shadez and have heard the same things, but have also been hearing that crap for a while now. I absolutely agree though that all things point to them absolutely needing a class to come through with the current state of the dept and future outlook.

Forum Member

How many of you own homes in the burbs? That's one issue, I certainly would not wish to deal with come the time.

I don't. I'm in Garfield Ridge for this reason alone. I didn't want to put my wife and kids through the suburban living and have to move to the city if this all panned out so we bought in the city and said if it never happened we would re-evaluate that option.

Forum Member

I'm near Garfield Ridge myself.

Forum Member

Well that's good, but I would imagine there are many in this list that may face that challenge. I'm in Bridgeport myself.
    Last edited by Dalsh321; 08-12-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsh321 View Post
    Well that's good, but I would imagine there are many in this list that may face that challenge. I'm in Bridgeport myself.
    Yea, I didn't want to go through the headache of not only selling but buying while I'm trying to sell while also knowing I was going to take a pay cut.

I grew up in Bridgeport. You wouldn't happen to have family in CFD right now would you?

Forum Member

I think there will still be a class in November. Do I think the city told us to get our CPAT's on our own so they don't have to pay? Yes. Do I think they moved us to the head of the line? No. We are all skeptical because we have all been through some sort of processing before. I do know that the current CPAT's aren going so well. I know a few people who haven't made it past the stair climber. CFD is going to hire off of our list. That is almost certain. A few people I know connected with training have still been told to prepare for November. It could change but I don't see CFD investing in us again only to push us aside. I do know that we showed we are serious by getting this done on our own. If nothing else we are a determined bunch.

Forum Member

so I was talking to my roommate today, and he said captains he knows were getting called last week and today for the B/C promotion. he said the rumors were B/C and Engineers in Sept and than LTs and Capts. He said the guys in his house who usually go down for new classes were telling him they are hearing Jan 15 for the next class. Probably to focus on all these promotions. So maybe it getting delayed a couple months is true, and everything is just pushed back 2 months. He also said the city finally reached out with new contract, and put 4 big requests on the table, that the union was trying to get the feeling of the membership. Some of which would affect all new hires.

Forum Member

New Class. January 15, 2026.

Forum Member

Lmao at bode.. that was great

Forum Member

"He said the guys in his house who usually go down for new classes were telling him they are hearing Jan 15 for the next class".

Now this sounds like the process we have all grown to love. Getting pumped up only to get knocked back down. Lol. I guess until we hear from our investigators we will not know.

Forum Member

As we all know.......take these rumours with a grain of salt. Im to the point where even when i hear of news from my contacts, my mindset is "ok great.....but i'll believe it when it actually happens"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Yea, I didn't want to go through the headache of not only selling but buying while I'm trying to sell while also knowing I was going to take a pay cut.

I grew up in Bridgeport. You wouldn't happen to have family in CFD right now would you?
    I have friends in the CFD right now, but no current family. My uncle is retired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    "He said the guys in his house who usually go down for new classes were telling him they are hearing Jan 15 for the next class".

Now this sounds like the process we have all grown to love. Getting pumped up only to get knocked back down. Lol. I guess until we hear from our investigators we will not know.
    January 15 if true, could be bad as this could mean women who have until December to finish their CPAT, taking some of our spots. My observation was that if they had an academy before year's end, they would certainly have to have another since the women have until December to complete their CPAT, thus meaning more spots for all of us, but if they don't have one til January, they may not require a second. Yes, I understand the need might be for more than one academy, but if they push a large class through in January, they may be able to delay a 2nd for sometime.

Agreed with Jet regarding rumors, but just commenting, b/c these were my previous thoughts in that I was really hoping for a November class, to ensure a 2nd for as many of us as possible to get on.

Regarding the contract mentioned, obviously manning is one of the requests, so as I have brought up before, that eliminates a whole lot of jobs. Definitely a lot of other benefits could be involved as well, which will reduce our pay.

Forum Member

OK, so looking at the information my roommate has, it looks like this is what the city brought to the table for contract negotiations that would matter to us waiting to get on: 1) in double houses where there is an engine and a truck company, manpower would drop to 4 man engine companies and 5 man truck companies. single engine houses would maintain a 5 man engine. (so that is at least 62 less firefighters a day, since there are 62 houses that have both an engine and a truck) 2) there would be no more EMT pay for new hires. Current members would keep receiving the extra money to keep their EMT license and go on the BLS ambos, but new hires will not receive the extra money. It would just be a condition of our employment. and 3) they want to make all 15 BLS ambos ALS, but staff them with 1 FF/EMT and 1 Single role medic from the EMS side (which means 15 less firefighters needed a day, since they don't need 30 guys a day for the BLS ambos, just 15) the rest of the requests doesn't seem like it would affect/concern us unless we were already on the job. Just sharing information.

Forum Member

called down to hq and talked to Ms. Hammond. i asked if all my paperwork was in order because i had transcripts and reference letters direced there and she said that it was fine and an investigator would be contacting me "shortly" and that theyre going to contact the lawsuit

Forum Member

trying to post from my phone is ridiculous, i apologize.

she said that they were going to contact the lawsuit women for background processing first.

Forum Member

This is getting comical.

Forum Member

I bet they will not let ANY of the women fail, just like how they let the 111 have tudors and numerous attempts at the final tests.
    This makes me mad. There's qualified guys that lost a spot from the 111, now there's gonna be even more losing a spot cause of the women, who too are not qualified. My question is, when are we, the legitimate and thus far qualified candidates going to have a voice in the matter?? Aren't we due an answer as to why we are getting left in the cold continuously and with no regard to anything we've done so far??
    I get it, were not owed anything. And im not whining, but for ALL the days I've taken off work to process in the circus, without pay as well, and have them dangle the job in front of us, and continue to have these underqualified *******s get on the job is unbelievable. I bet they'll have an all women class, or maybe sprinkle a few of the lucky ones in and be done with it..do we have any grounds for a case? Id never want to get on the job due to a lawsuit, but i am comfortable knowing that if it ever happens one way or the other, every ff on the job would want me next to them in a fire. That i can guarantee.
    If we continue to let them pass us up, we're done, and id hate to be passed up cause we didn't speak up. *rant over*

Thread Information